Surgpath ACGME-accredited fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MetroPath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seeing ACGME accredited surgical pathology fellowships. I thought surgpath fellowships were not accredited? Can someone explain this to me?

Members don't see this ad.

I am seeing ACGME accredited surgical pathology fellowships. I thought surgpath fellowships were not accredited? Can someone explain this to me?

I can only think of dermpath and Peds path as board certified subspecialties of surg path

I can only think of dermpath and Peds path as board certified subspecialties of surg path

No I am talking about general surgpath fellowships that are being advertised as ACGME accredited.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there are a good number of ACGME accredited gen surg path fellowships out there. They are simply an "extension" of general AP training and follow much the same rules as residency (so no truly independent sign out, on-service time limits, etc.); thus, for some reason they are accredited. I suppose they fall under the scope of general AP boards.

It just means they are opening their books and promising to obey by all the rules imposed by the ACGME, sort of like a Good Housekeeping seal of approval. I suppose they will have to obey duty hours. Some subspecialties, like gyn path, only have a handful of places with ACGME accreditation. Doesn't mean you need to go to those, just that they are accredited.

I did an Oncologic Surg Path fellowship thats ACGME accredited. Its basically a seal-of-approval kind of thing. The upside is they have to run a tight ship and provide a good experience (which they did). The downside is no independent sign-out, all cases have to be reviewed by an attending. Which wasnt a big deal for me, because the expectation is that your cases are put together, you are ready for tumor board, etc....the work gets done. I would do it again.

There's a difference between ACGME and ABP. That's usually where the confusion lies when folks start talking about this particular issue.