Switch back into Pre-pharm? Yay or Nay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I switch back?

• yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

SALLS23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some honest opinions here. So in 2011 I was in pre-pharm at a local Purdue campus. I completed a lot of the pre-requisites but didn't finish the most important ones like organic chemistry, biochem, and immunology. I had a sudden fear of loans and school and switched my major. Before I switched majors I had a GPA of 3.5

Now I am finishing my bachelors of Science in communications disorders. I currently have a 3.7 at Purdue main campus.

I am considering switching back into pre-pharm and applying to pharmacy schools. I just miss the classes and have regretted switching from the beginning.

If I complete my degree and finish those pre-reqs for Pharmacy, would I have a good chance of getting into a school? I am active in the community and work as a lab technician for my school. I would work at a pharmacy this summer. Will pharmacy schools take me seriously???

Is it worth switching back for someone like me?

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacy school isn't hard to get into nowadays. With your GPA, you'll get into some mid-tier and maybe some top-tier schools. Smash the PCAT and you're guaranteed to get in somewhere as long as you apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Pharmacy school isn't hard to get into nowadays. With your GPA, you'll get into some mid-tier and maybe some top-tier schools. Smash the PCAT and you're guaranteed to get in somewhere as long as you apply broadly.
thanks for the reply. With all of new new schools opening I would not want to go to a mid-tier school. Do you think its necessary to get a bachelors of biology or is my degree acceptable?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your degree is completely acceptable.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the reply. With all of new new schools opening I would not want to go to a mid-tier school. Do you think its necessary to get a bachelors of biology or is my degree acceptable?

You've already got headway on your comm disorders degree so finish that. It really doesn't matter what you get your degree in as long as you finish the pre-reqs. As for schools, apply to the cheapest schools you can get into that are high tier (in your case). However, if you plan to do retail (which I don't know you, but I'm just throwing it out there), just apply to the cheapest fully-accredited schools period.

You've already got headway on your comm disorders degree so finish that. It really doesn't matter what you get your degree in as long as you finish the pre-reqs. As for schools, apply to the cheapest schools you can get into that are high tier (in your case). However, if you plan to do retail (which I don't know you, but I'm just throwing it out there), just apply to the cheapest fully-accredited schools period.
Good points, thanks for the advice!