T20 next year or state school (T50) this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP FYI read a post on Reddit yesterday where a guys mcat tutor with a 3.9+ and 525 didn’t get into a t20 even though he swore he would. Another post by someone who had like a 3.96 and 514 then 517 second attempt didn’t get accepted until their third cycle. These stories are not as as uncommon as they appear. Should be able to find countless ones between here and Reddit

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
interesting how you won't expand on the rest of your app... even a 503 with a 3.9+ and a decent EC list should get something more than a statie.... unless you only applied to the JHU-esque tier. hmm...
For DO schools yes. For MD schools, the mean matriculant is around 510 and ORMs will likely want to have 512-513 to be competitive. State schools are more forgiving.

Reactions: 1 user
OP FYI read a post on Reddit yesterday where a guys mcat tutor with a 3.9+ and 525 didn’t get into a t20 even though he swore he would. Another post by someone who had like a 3.96 and 514 then 517 second attempt didn’t get accepted until their third cycle. These stories are not as as uncommon as they appear. Should be able to find countless ones between here and Reddit

The problem isn't stats but likely school choice, essays, LORs, ECs, interview skills, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem isn't stats but likely school choice, essays, LORs, ECs, interview skills, etc.
my point being that OP only has one remaining II despite having more than decent stats... these other things you've listed are hard to fix in the months remaining until the next cycle. i'd like to think schools he is a reapplicant at especially may not be as forgiving if his application itself has not changed much

If you do not care about academic medicine, why does it matter. You need to consider that you lose 400k earnings for the name.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
***Complete opposite experience from what everyone is saying***
So I applied last year with a 510 and ended up getting into one of my state schools. Ended the cycle with 2 interviews, 1 acceptance. I decided to turn down the acceptance because the school felt like a poor fit and like the OP, I wanted to score better on the MCAT to go to a better school (not only ranking wise but also fit and financial reasons).

I retook the MCAT, reworked my PS, and better articulated my activities on my primary. I got a 516 and found a gap year full-time position as a COVID-case manager/researcher. Now I am nearing the end of my cycle with 9 interviews and acceptances from every school I have interviewed at. There are a few I am waiting on, like Mayo MN and Pittsburgh. One acceptance is a T-5.

The bottom line is there is no guarantee to this process. I took a large risk but I did it because I needed to stay true to myself and be honest that I did not want to spend 4 years at the school I had been accepted at. Frankly, I knew that I could perform better than I did and I would be a better fit at other schools...and I was willing to really risk it all to prove that to adcoms and make a better, happier life for myself the next 4 years and beyond. In my case, it worked. So personally, I would be hesitant to take the advice of others in this extremely unpredictable process. You need to do what is best for you. However, it IS true that you will need to let schools know you previously applied. And you will need to be able to fully back up your reasons for doing so. Also, there is a stigmatization of reapplicants at some schools and yes the acceptance rate in any given year is in the 40 %s.

I guess my point is that literally, no one can say anything about your situation. People can speculate based on chances but at the end of the day, if you think you will not be successful at a school, you need to do everything in your power to change that for yourself. I would disagree with the blanket statements others are saying in that you're doomed and you're morally/ethically wrong for turning down an acceptance. Everyone is living a complex life and you need to do what feels right for you.

Edit: Additionally, I never took "one year of earnings" into consideration because frankly, that means nothing to me. And that's coming from a disadvantaged app ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Lol what, so if you take the MCAT 3 times and go form 510-512-516, you're screwed/at a significant disadvantage for competitive specialties like ophtho/oto just because you took it 3 times?

I've worked on quality improvement initiatives for resident selection and never once have I heard anyone care about MCAT score (and I work in a "competitive specialty" department)

Thanks to everyone for all the amazing advice, I really appreciate it. It's given me a lot of perspective.

Thanks @Goro too, I appreciate the advice, but was that last part really necessary 😭 I was going through a lot in my personal life at that time- my family had to relocate and downsize, there was a lot other significant stuff happening with my extended family, and my MCAT had been cancelled 5 different times (second one got cancelled twice) before I finally took it because of continuously new COVID policies in my area. I think I showed with this recent score that when my life isn't going to hell, I'm more than capable of holding my own with people who plan to go into these fields, so I don't appreciate that remark. Although you always tend to give me good advice, so thank you for all those other times.
You will forge your own path regardless of what others advise. My daughter was advised several years ago by @Goro that she would not get into medical school with her scores and grades-it was a very discouraging and dismissive comment. What actually happened is that she did get into MD school that same year, matched in the selective specialty of her choice and was chosen to be the lead 1st year resident in general surgery after only two rotations. Advice can be helpful, but it's one person's opinion based on limited information.-don't let it deter you from your goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Lol what, so if you take the MCAT 3 times and go form 510-512-516, you're screwed/at a significant disadvantage for competitive specialties like ophtho/oto just because you took it 3 times?

I've worked on quality improvement initiatives for resident selection and never once have I heard anyone care about MCAT score (and I work in a "competitive specialty" department)
This. Nobody cares and as I recall the data on MCAT to step 1 correlation (which does matter a lot) shows it isn’t predictive at all.

I did fine on the MCAT, not great (512 or something like that? I honestly don’t remember), went to a very no name primary care heavy state school. Worked really hard, graduated 2nd in my class, 251 step 1 268 step 2, couple publications, great letters from my schools faculty... marched into a top top program in a specialty every bit as competitive as derm or plastics.

Now having said that... with step 1 going to pass fail I actually think there might be a real argument for school prestige becoming a serious consideration. What separates me from the Harvard guys if there’s no objective score to compare? I absolutely wouldn’t turn down my only acceptance with the idea that I’m getting into a top 20 school next year, but I might change the advice I used to always give (school prestige doesn’t matter that much, just go wherever is cheapest and kick ass there).

Reactions: 2 users
This. Nobody cares and as I recall the data on MCAT to step 1 correlation (which does matter a lot) shows it isn’t predictive at all.

I did fine on the MCAT, not great (512 or something like that? I honestly don’t remember), went to a very no name primary care heavy state school. Worked really hard, graduated 2nd in my class, 251 step 1 268 step 2, couple publications, great letters from my schools faculty... marched into a top top program in a specialty every bit as competitive as derm or plastics.

Now having said that... with step 1 going to pass fail I actually think there might be a real argument for school prestige becoming a serious consideration. What separates me from the Harvard guys if there’s no objective score to compare? I absolutely wouldn’t turn down my only acceptance with the idea that I’m getting into a top 20 school next year, but I might change the advice I used to always give (school prestige doesn’t matter that much, just go wherever is cheapest and kick ass there).
there's still step 2 and other ways to separate yourself.

Hi everyone- so I’m in a peculiar situation. I took the MCAT twice in 2020 and got a 503 both times. I applied to 20 schools, and so far only got one interview from my state school (Indiana University) My GPA is pretty high at 3.9+ too.

I just got my MCAT from January 15 back and am very fortunate to have scored a 525. I was in a much different mindset and it drastically changed how I approached the test, so I’m happy to see it paid off. That being said, if I get into IU this year, should I take my admission offer, or should I withdraw and reapply this upcoming cycle to several top 20 schools?

I am willing to take out more loans if it means I can get a stronger name. I’m interested in very competitive specialties like derm and plastics (though not academic medicine) and have heard that a strong name can go really, really far with helping to match these residencies. Although, I am burnt out from the exhaustion of taking the MCAT three times and don’t know if I have the strength to push through applying and interviewing another year (I have a masters program and research lined up in the meantime since I thought I wouldn’t get in this year). So- if I get in to IU, do I take it, or do I wait and apply again to try and secure a top 20 admission? Adcom and expert advice appreciated @Goro @LizzyM @gonnif @WedgeDawg @gyngyn Thanks everyone!
I think the first thing is, don't be stuck on a T20 school solely because of that designation. The idea of schools being more or less prestigious is not as important for med school as it is in undergrad (THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS LOL) and that socialization tends to stick with us but there are more drastic differences in UG because those institutions basically aren't really accredited in specific majors but in degree types i.e. BS, BA etc. So each school may vary more significantly on their curriculum and that's where you begin to see substantial differences because one school may add an extra course to better prepare their students that another school doesn't. Exams are generally school specific. Now with med school there isn't as much of that. Everyone is preparing for the same exact exams and has to learn generally the same content. I think the decisions should be most based on what learning environment will you be most comfortable in? What living environment will you be happiest and most functional in (sunny climate vs long winter, etc), which institution has faculty that teaches in a style that best meets your needs as a student, which institution has the clinical rotations you're most interested in? What partnerships does the institution have? Basically I believe your choice shouldn't be based solely on a ranking (there are exceptions lol) but more on how successful and *happy* (as much as possible 😅) you believe you will be as a student there. You have to choose the environment that sets you up personally for the best success.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the decision is yours to make alone but I can offer you a few words of advice.

Pros of going this year: As others have alluded to, the whole application process is extremely uncertain right now particularly due to COVID, even applying again next year will not guarantee you the results you expect.

Medical schools don’t just care about your grades, you would need to beef up your whole package and they will want to know what you have been up to for this past year if you are done with school and have nothing else planned.

Even if you get into a top 20 program, you are not guaranteed to get into plastics and derm. The higher tier you go, the smarter your classmates will be and everyone will be competing for those top tier specialties. Your choice of what you want to go into will likely change multiple times in med school, you might not believe me now but it’s guaranteed.

Pros of waiting: that being said, going to a top 20 program will make it easier for you to get into a top program for residency regardless of what you choose.

Having the extra year will also give you perspective into your life, settle any major issues, and a chance to make sure medicine is actually what you want to do. Sometimes I regret going straight through without taking a break, burnout hits hard.

If you get accepted, be happy and go be a doctor. It took some of us 4 cycles to finally get an acceptance with a higher MCAT score than what you initially had.

The majority of applicants never get accepted.

So again, if you get the acceptance, go be a doctor and don't look back (especially if it's at your state school and you get in-state tuition).

We’re talking about specialties here that are probably in the single digits for most MD schools to match a percentage of their class in each year. It’s a hard match if you went to a top 10 school or a bottom 50 school.

You have a POTENTIAL offer from someone in the upper of those extremes. I would take it if granted. Just because you go to a top 10 doesn’t mean you will even go into that speciality, have the scores to match into that speciality, or the backing like letters ect. If your argument is that you know you can work hard and make that point moot, then you’re kind of answering your own question.

I get the point of these specific posts, but at the same time I don’t.

You will forge your own path regardless of what others advise. My daughter was advised several years ago by Goro that she would not get into medical school with her scores-it was a very discouraging and dismissive comment. What actually happened is that she did get into MD school that same year, matched in the selective specialty of her choice and was chosen to be the lead 1st year resident in general surgery after only two rotations. Advice can be helpful, but it's one person's opinion based on limited information.-don't let it deter you from your goals.
Similar advise was given to my son also i.e. he is aiming too high but he got more T10 interviews than T20 (only applied to T20s). I agree that it's not easy to give advise without seeing PS, LORs etc. but comments like this are hurtful when same adcoms call premeds neurotic quickly.

I think this has been stated enough, but you really shouldn’t pull out of an interview from a good school at this point. The improved performance on the MCAT will appear favorable to the school. If you pull out without interviewing or before interviewing you are burning a bridge to the most affordable medical education you can have. If you want a competitive residency, IU has those residencies, and they are more likely to take one of their own if you show early interest and dedication. Work with the departments you are interested in at your school. Also, top 20 schools care about research, so getting into one will also depend on some kind of research activity.
If you don’t get in this year, then you will have a great shot next year, but pulling out might ruin your chances of saving money in the long run, and don’t underestimate the cost of medical education. Also, most people come in with expectations of doing one field, and then find that they enjoy something different. You want to go into medical school with an open mind or you might hate your job in the future. Premed sort of forces you to put these blinders on that forces you to constantly compete, but once you are in medical school you should be thinking about what you want from life.

there's still step 2 and other ways to separate yourself.

true. I think the stress put on step 2 is going to end up outweighing what step 1 was ultimately.
it’s going to be harder to differentiate yourself. PDs really do screen by score, there’s no way to shift through 700+ applicants for 5 spots otherwise. I worry now they’ll just screen by school first. It’s hard to know, but I guess I just think there’s more of an argument for going to the top schools now than there was before the step 1 change.

I want to preface this by saying that I am still applying to schools but I am older and have had quite a bit of life experiences with things that are highly selective.

That being said I am of the opinion that if you are accepted you take the sure thing. If you want derm/plastics bad enough then bust your ass and go get it. Also think about this, even at T10-20 schools usually <10% of a class will go on and match into derm/plastics.

Ultimately it’s your choice on what you do but I would rather be an MS1 next year than not.

***Complete opposite experience from what everyone is saying***
So I applied last year with a 510 and ended up getting into one of my state schools. Ended the cycle with 2 interviews, 1 acceptance. I decided to turn down the acceptance because the school felt like a poor fit and like the OP, I wanted to score better on the MCAT to go to a better school (not only ranking wise but also fit and financial reasons).

I retook the MCAT, reworked my PS, and better articulated my activities on my primary. I got a 516 and found a gap year full-time position as a COVID-case manager/researcher. Now I am nearing the end of my cycle with 9 interviews and acceptances from every school I have interviewed at. There are a few I am waiting on, like Mayo MN and Pittsburgh. One acceptance is a T-5.

The bottom line is there is no guarantee to this process. I took a large risk but I did it because I needed to stay true to myself and be honest that I did not want to spend 4 years at the school I had been accepted at. Frankly, I knew that I could perform better than I did and I would be a better fit at other schools...and I was willing to really risk it all to prove that to adcoms and make a better, happier life for myself the next 4 years and beyond. In my case, it worked. So personally, I would be hesitant to take the advice of others in this extremely unpredictable process. You need to do what is best for you. However, it IS true that you will need to let schools know you previously applied. And you will need to be able to fully back up your reasons for doing so. Also, there is a stigmatization of reapplicants at some schools and yes the acceptance rate in any given year is in the 40 %s.

I guess my point is that literally, no one can say anything about your situation. People can speculate based on chances but at the end of the day, if you think you will not be successful at a school, you need to do everything in your power to change that for yourself. I would disagree with the blanket statements others are saying in that you're doomed and you're morally/ethically wrong for turning down an acceptance. Everyone is living a complex life and you need to do what feels right for you.

Edit: Additionally, I never took "one year of earnings" into consideration because frankly, that means nothing to me. And that's coming from a disadvantaged app ;)
Ehh I think the general consensus is that OP is free what he wants to do he will become a physician at one point or another. Totally support people making an informed decision whatever that may but he wants input and the fact of the matter is that the majority of stories of folks who do this are likely not as successful as you.

Similar advise was given to my son also i.e. he is aiming too high but he got more T10 interviews than T20 (only applied to T20s). I agree that it's not easy to give advise without seeing PS, LORs etc. but comments like this are hurtful when same adcoms call premeds neurotic quickly.
Even seeing PS, LOR, and other objective data, there are so many intangible factors at play that you can never reliably predict what will happen or where someone will go. Every “expert” opinion needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The smartest student isn’t always the most personable and schools want a class with different talents to fulfill requirements such as diversity and inclusion.

Do NOT turn down an acceptance from IU.
Being accepted to med school is HUGE. It does not matter where you go to medical school if it's in the US. I would know, I'm a DO and living a great life in residency in the Philly area. (1st year).
CONGRATS on the score!
BUT, if IU accepts you, take it. You want to start med school as soon as you can. There is no benefit to going to some "better" med school (whatever that even means).

Even seeing PS, LOR, and other objective data, there are so many intangible factors at play that you can never reliably predict what will happen or where someone will go. Every “expert” opinion needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The smartest student isn’t always the most personable and schools want a class with different talents to fulfill requirements such as diversity and inclusion.
So basically school list recommendations are useless?

Thanks to everyone for all the amazing advice, I really appreciate it. It's given me a lot of perspective.

Thanks @Goro too, I appreciate the advice, but was that last part really necessary 😭 I was going through a lot in my personal life at that time- my family had to relocate and downsize, there was a lot other significant stuff happening with my extended family, and my MCAT had been cancelled 5 different times (second one got cancelled twice) before I finally took it because of continuously new COVID policies in my area. I think I showed with this recent score that when my life isn't going to hell, I'm more than capable of holding my own with people who plan to go into these fields, so I don't appreciate that remark. Although you always tend to give me good advice, so thank you for all those other times.
Yikes. I think that last part was really un-necessary! I don’t know much about the residency selection process at this point, but I don’t think taking the MCAT several times has any baring on what sort of physician you are going to be! If anything, I think it means you are dedicated and hardworking and you don’t give up.

I work with a few doctors who have said that the step exams were completely different than the MCAT and a lot of their classmates didn’t have correlating scores at all. (I.e., low MCAT scores still got high step scores, and vice versa). Part of your MCAT score absolutely has to do with life circumstances and good for you for pushing through and staying motivated regardless of things going on! If you want to do Derm or plastics, do what you’ve done in the past and - don’t give up!!! :)

So basically school list recommendations are useless?
I don’t think it’s useless but it shouldn’t deter a student from applying to specific programs. It’s meant as a guide but not everyone fits the same mold. Generally applying broadly is the best option to have the most choice.

It’s a lot easier to move vertically from a lower tier college to a higher tier med school than it is from a lower tier med school to a higher tier residency. As you go higher in the education ladder, vertical movement becomes harder so why not shoot for the stars when there’s still a reasonable chance?

How will you deal with your life going to hell as you put it when you are in medical school and a doctor.

How will you deal with your life going to hell as you put it when you are in medical school and a doctor.
learning to compartmentalize what's going on in different spaces can be a challenge and not one people just learn before having to actually do it.... i'm sure OP will use this experience to learn how to manage the inevitable challenges that come in life and associated with this profession

You know they have resources for this in med school, residency, fellowship, and as a physician right? Burnout and physician suicide is a huge issue and one that is actively being addressed with support resources. I’ve had classmates at all steps of training who have gotten months to a year off to get their personal lives in order.

If you do not care about academic medicine, why does it matter. You need to consider that you lose 400k earnings for the name.
Agreed. Follow the $$$.

Agreed. Follow the $$$.
while i agree the OP should take the IU acceptance if it comes through, i never liked this argument about losing a year of attending salary. assuming someone is working full time before medical school, having money now to pay down debt from college and to start investing in a roth IRA/other investment accounts may end up making them more money in the process than going directly to medical school and having college debt continue to compound and lose out on those investments maturing. without knowing someone's debt or current salary, i don't think you can say for sure that the best long-term financial decision is to go to med school ASAP.

We’re talking about specialties here that are probably in the single digits for most MD schools to match a percentage of their class in each year. It’s a hard match if you went to a top 10 school or a bottom 50 school.

You have a POTENTIAL offer from someone in the upper of those extremes. I would take it if granted. Just because you go to a top 10 doesn’t mean you will even go into that speciality, have the scores to match into that speciality, or the backing like letters ect. If your argument is that you know you can work hard and make that point moot, then you’re kind of answering your own question.

I get the point of these specific posts, but at the same time I don’t.
+1.

44% of Harvard's 2020 graduating class matched into a primary care field. People overestimate their chances of matching into a competitive specialty solely based on what school they attend, or underestimate their ability to match into competitive fields despite not having a t20 name on their degree.

I can't fathom turning down a USMD acceptance, especially an in-state school, for the statistically small chance they can get accepted to a "higher ranked" USMD school a year later.

If OP wants to become a doctor, they should take the hypothetical acceptance to the doctor school that allows people to become doctors. Especially at a discounted rate in comparison to perceived t20 private doctor schools.

while i agree the OP should take the IU acceptance if it comes through, i never liked this argument about losing a year of attending salary. assuming someone is working full time before medical school, having money now to pay down debt from college and to start investing in a roth IRA/other investment accounts may end up making them more money in the process than going directly to medical school and having college debt continue to compound and lose out on those investments maturing. without knowing someone's debt or current salary, i don't think you can say for sure that the best long-term financial decision is to go to med school ASAP.
Which gap year job pays $300K?

+1.

44% of Harvard's 2020 graduating class matched into a primary care field.
what percentage of them go to fellowship? most non-surgical sub specialties need primary care residency.

You can absolutely match to derm and plastics residencies from IU. The difference between a T20 and a T90-100 like your mentor went to is undeniable. But if you are not interested in academic medicine (where going to a tippy top residency program at a tippy top academic center is the best way to guarantee future success and good career options), there is no reason to think that you can't have an exceptional career as a private practice physician in any specialty, coming out of IU. There will be plenty of opportunities for you to get involved in research (which may arguably be the most important thing for matching into competitive specialties now that STEP is going P/F), and I very much second an earlier poster's comment that essentially, if you work hard enough, being a big fish in a small pond with a letter of rec from your school that reflects that, can be just as--if not more--impressive as being an average Joe from a higher ranked school. Going to IU by no means precludes you from having the career you seem to want. If you can work hard enough to improve your MCAT this much, you can work hard at IU and get a few pubs under your belt in your intended specialty, shadow the right people & build strong mentoring connections, do 1 or 2 away rotations at programs you would like to match in, and make yourself a strong candidate for residency.

IF you get this acceptance, I would strongly recommend making the decision of whether to take it based primarily on the pros and cons of that specific school, aka things like: will you be as close to family as you would like? Did you get a good vibe from the other students and accepted students? Is the curriculum P/F? How much debt will you have? What kind of support (for health, wellness, research, etc.) does the school have for MD students? Would you like living in the place where your school is located? It has been my experience thus far that these factors matter so much more to me now as a medical student. I love where I am at school, and fortunately this school was also my top choice, but even if I had gotten into a better school I think I could not have been as happy anywhere else, and I think with medicine being so difficult, happiness should be factored in much more strongly into applicants' decisions.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Which gap year job pays $300K?
with investments and paying off debt, you can make less now but actually accrue more in the future. its all about interest. not to mention the benefits of being in a lower tax bracket and being able to put that money into retirement investing.

So you haven't got into IU yet and you are already are thinking about turning them down? This is the most premed post I might have ever seen.

I would "accept" the admission and run with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 10 users
what percentage of them go to fellowship? most non-surgical sub specialties need primary care residency.
I don't think many (if any) schools publish their graduate->fellowship data, but where and what they do in residency will carry more weight than where they went to school.

edit: and yes, I understand that HMS in particular will have a higher graduate->fellowship rate than other schools, but the point still stands that OP can do whatever they want in medicine by taking the acceptance at IU (that they haven't even gotten yet) instead of turning them down for an even more hypothetical A at a t20 school.

That's not the message. Rather, it's that with that particular profile tend not to be the ones who make it into the uber-residencies.

I think of it as the difference between those who make it into the NFL, versus those who make it to the NFL and consistently go to the Pro Bowl

Honestly can’t believe he said that. Surprised given that he is faculty at a med school and should know that this couldn’t be further from the truth. There are people that take the MCAT multiple times and don’t even get half as an amazing score that OP was able to attain but then absolutely destroy step 1 and match into very competitive specialties (derm, plastics, etc). Granted, I’ve seen goro give good advice on here but this is just disgusting. What a bitter person.
lol I think Goro is known for being quite brash. don't think he really wanted to nor cares about purposefully being malicious. just saying what might more than likely be true - someone who takes MCAT twice and gets the same score perhaps didn't adjust their studying plan the right way in response to the many challenges he was facing or unrealistic about how effective his prep was and what his target score was likely to be.... unlike say someone who received their target score on first attempt (whatever they may be) by making sure they covered all aspects of prep thoroughly and only took the exam when they were ready to do so and delayed it if necessary. of course there are outliers and sometimes people score much higher or lower than expected, but usually people score -/+2 of average AAMC scores. one's MCAT does not completely define someone's career trajectory or how well they will do in UME, but it may reveal habits that can make it more likely for someone to do well enough to actually pursue particularly competitive careers.

on the flip side, OP's dedication to taking it a third time shows he does not give up easily and believes himself... that alone goes very far

with investments and paying off debt, you can make less now but actually accrue more in the future. its all about interest. not to mention the benefits of being in a lower tax bracket and being able to put that money into retirement investing.
I understand what you are saying but the argument is 1 year salary compounds over more and purely financial point of view that's correct but I didn't buy that argument when my dividing my kid.

Even if you are a CS or business major you probably need atleast 3 years of working to make up for 1 year attending salary even if you include interest paid over 4 years of medical school.

lol I think Goro is known for being quite brash. don't think he really wanted to nor cares about purposefully being malicious. just saying what might more than likely be true - someone who takes MCAT twice and gets the same score perhaps didn't adjust their studying plan the right way in response to the many challenges he was facing or unrealistic about how effective his prep was and what his target score was likely to be.... unlike say someone who received their target score on first attempt (whatever they may be) by making sure they covered all aspects of prep thoroughly and only took the exam when they were ready to do so and delayed it if necessary. of course there are outliers and sometimes people score much higher or lower than expected, but usually people score -/+2 of average AAMC scores. one's MCAT does not completely define someone's career trajectory or how well they will do in UME, but it may reveal habits that can make it more likely for someone to do well enough to actually pursue particularly competitive careers.

on the flip side, OP's dedication to taking it a third time shows he does not give up easily and believes himself... that alone goes very far
Again how many go from 503 to 525? That's the key here.

I don't think many (if any) schools publish their graduate->fellowship data, but where and what they do in residency will carry more weight than where they went to school.

edit: and yes, I understand that HMS in particular will have a higher graduate->fellowship rate than other schools, but the point still stands that OP can do whatever they want in medicine by taking the acceptance at IU (that they haven't even gotten yet) instead of turning them down for an even more hypothetical A at a t20 school.
I agree on your argument, that was my argument also.

I understand what you are saying but the argument is 1 year salary compounds over more and purely financial point of view that's correct but I didn't buy that argument when my dividing my kid.

Even if you are a CS or business major you probably need atleast 3 years of working to make up for 1 year attending salary even if you include interest paid over 4 years of medical school.
its not over 4 years though, you should compare it over the course of the career. you aren't losing a year of salary at 35, really you're losing a year of salary at retirement (in this scenario you're retiring at 65 no matter what).

i was a straight bio major and i make over double the average resident salary. my tax bracket is lower, i don't have kids or elderly parents to take care of, i'm healthy. i have college debt (low interest) and car debt (higher interest) to pay down. straight out of college i had a decent amount of credit card debt (much higher interest) to pay down. while the math isn't perfect, depends on how my investments pan out and what specialty i go into, i don't see a financial difference between a year making $80k now and being financially smart versus a year makning $300k at 65. if i know i'm going to be a neurosurgeon, maybe it makes sense to be worried about losing a year of operating, but i don't know if you should be making decisions assuming you're going into NS.

+1.

44% of Harvard's 2020 graduating class matched into a primary care field. People overestimate their chances of matching into a competitive specialty solely based on what school they attend, or underestimate their ability to match into competitive fields despite not having a t20 name on their degree.

I can't fathom turning down a USMD acceptance, especially an in-state school, for the statistically small chance they can get accepted to a "higher ranked" USMD school a year later.

If OP wants to become a doctor, they should take the hypothetical acceptance to the doctor school that allows people to become doctors. Especially at a discounted rate in comparison to perceived t20 private doctor schools.

This number is a little misleading. Most of these 45% are not true primary care (family practice etc) but high power Internal medicine and pediatric residencies which lead on to prestigious fellowships in cardiology/gastroenterology/oncology etc.

Very few people (some do) who do an internal medicine residency in an inner city community hospital land up in a prestigious cardiology/gi fellowship, they usually land up in primary care. Most of the internal medicine residents in prestigious residencies dont go there with an intention to pursue primary care, but rather as a pre-requisite for a fellowship program.

So, while there is some minimal truth to the saying on this bulleting board here that an MD is an MD (not sure I agree with it fully), there is not much truth to that all internal medicine residencies are the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
its not over 4 years though, you should compare it over the course of the career. you aren't losing a year of salary at 35, really you're losing a year of salary at retirement (in this scenario you're retiring at 65 no matter what).

i was a straight bio major and i make over double the average resident salary. my tax bracket is lower, i don't have kids or elderly parents to take care of, i'm healthy. i have college debt (low interest) and car debt (higher interest) to pay down. straight out of college i had a decent amount of credit card debt (much higher interest) to pay down. while the math isn't perfect, depends on how my investments pan out and what specialty i go into, i don't see a financial difference between a year making $80k now and being financially smart versus a year makning $300k at 65. if i know i'm going to be a neurosurgeon, maybe it makes sense to be worried about losing a year of operating, but i don't know if you should be making decisions assuming you're going into NS.
the argument I heard is the savings from one year salary savings compounded over 30 years (say 100K after taxes and life style changes which will be over $700K after 30 years compounding at 7% stock market historic return) not comparing with salary at retirement age. This argument is used to justify 7 year BSMD programs.

the argument I heard is the savings from one year salary savings compounded over 30 years (say 100K after taxes and life style changes which will be over $700K after 30 years compounding at 7% stock market historic return) not comparing with salary at retirement age. This argument is used to justify 7 year BSMD programs.
yeah but i don't think thats the right way to look at it. in one scenario you work as an attending for 30 years lets say. in the other scenario you work as an attending for 29 years, but made $70k (average clinical research coordinator salary according to glassdoor, job that doesn't require a ton of experience and good for premeds looking to work for a bit) for one additional year, and that was allowed to compound for 9 additional years (4 years med school + 5 years res/fellowship with lower salary). that first year of attending salary will compound for almost the same amount of time (29 vs 30 years), so there is some loss but not significant. but now that attending has the $70k salary that compounded for an additional 9 years. so it really comes down to losing that year at the end, rather than the beginning.

without knowing how much debt (and at what interest) someone has, how much they make before med school, how much they make as an attending, when they plan to retire, whether they retire when they hit a certain amount of money in savings or they want to retire at 65 or 70 no matter what, and like 50 other things, we can't know for sure which is the more financially sound decision. but thats why that argument annoys me, because i dont care about losing $300k at retirement if i'm making anything over $50k now. maybe waiting an extra year gets me a geffen scholarship and i make back all the money right there. too many variables.

Again how many go from 503 to 525? That's the key here.
yes, to each his own. The most reliable piece of information before making this decision is the performance on the AAMC practice FL tests. If this is at least consistently 4 points above the achieved score, there is nothing wrong in thinking about retaking based on the context of the situation.

If you have an option of doing 1 gap year followed by maybe getting into a T20 school, versus doing the state school where you are accepted and taking a gap year after graduation doing research/work in the specialty/desired residency program, I suspect you will come out ahead with the second approach in getting to the final goal of a good residency program.

So, in general it is better to grab your medical school acceptance at any MD school.