T20 next year or state school (T50) this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hi everyone- so I’m in a peculiar situation. I took the MCAT twice in 2020 and got a 503 both times. I applied to 20 schools, and so far only got one interview from my state school (Indiana University) My GPA is pretty high at 3.9+ too.

I just got my MCAT from January 15 back and am very fortunate to have scored a 525. I was in a much different mindset and it drastically changed how I approached the test, so I’m happy to see it paid off. That being said, if I get into IU this year, should I take my admission offer, or should I withdraw and reapply this upcoming cycle to several top 20 schools?

I am willing to take out more loans if it means I can get a stronger name. I’m interested in very competitive specialties like derm and plastics (though not academic medicine) and have heard that a strong name can go really, really far with helping to match these residencies. Although, I am burnt out from the exhaustion of taking the MCAT three times and don’t know if I have the strength to push through applying and interviewing another year (I have a masters program and research lined up in the meantime since I thought I wouldn’t get in this year). So- if I get in to IU, do I take it, or do I wait and apply again to try and secure a top 20 admission? Adcom and expert advice appreciated @Goro @LizzyM @gonnif @WedgeDawg @gyngyn Thanks everyone!
If you get into IU this year, take the bird in hand and go to IU.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd sit and wait for the A from Indiana in your shoes. However, if you are absolutely, completely hell bent on a top 20 AND you have excellent ECs, you might withdraw now and roll the dice on another cycle. You'll be a year older, have lost a year of attending salary, and there's no guarantee you'll even get into an Indiana-tier school. And your school's a T50...dude (or dudette) come on.

Wait on Indiana, and if they reject you try again. Do not turn down an acceptance unless you would rather never be a doctor.