Take the DAT Multiple times?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michaelcimba

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time posting. Currently, I am a junior in my undergraduate and am applying to dental school in the summer of 2017. Couple questions:

What are your guys thoughts on taking the DAT twice, if necessary, before applying? I know you need a 90 day gap between tests, so I am trying to figure out whether I should take the exam in late July one time, or to take it in early June and, if I don't get the score I want, take it again in early September before my senior class-load picks up.

Also, what are the reviews on the Kaplan Prep for the DAT that involves the online lectures? I know it is pricey, but I am willing to spend the extra money if it will help me in the end; dental school is an investment.

Thanks and let me know

Members don't see this ad.

plan on taking the DAT ONCE. this is not the SAT where people usually take it twice. there are plenty of breakdowns and advice for doing well on the DAT. You want to plan to study your hardest so you only have to take it once. Dental schools can see all of your attempts and some only take your most recent attempt even if its lower than your first attempt.

personally not a big fan of kaplan for the DAT. No one that i know has used it and said they gained anything from it. Dat destroyer and dat bootcamp are the most worthwhile investments

Reactions: 1 users
@wezleesun` thanks for the quick reply! That was my other question that I forgot to mention is if would affect me in the end since schools have the ability of seeing what I got. Thanks for clarifying!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's preferable to only take it once. That being said I did retake it and I think that if I didn't I'd be sitting at a grand total of 0 interviews and potential 0% chance of acceptance. At least I'm not out of it just yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Any prep course isn't worth it at all. Schools like to see that you have the discipline to motivate yourself to study and all the schools I interviewed at asked me how I studied for the DAT. Plus everyone I know that took a course didn't do as well as the people who self-studied. Just follow Ari's bootcamp 10-week schedule and you'll be golden.