taking classes while working

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sainttpk

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am curious if anyone else is in my position. This summer I am completeing my EMT-B cert. Next year I am finishing my last year of law school, and my plan was to work as an ER-tech or EMT on the weekends until I apply to medical school.

I am getting my EMT cert because I want clinical experince before I apply to medical school. Which will be in about 3 years. Is an EMT cert worth it just to work 3 years? From what I have read, it seems that being an EMT is the only real way to get some decent clinical experince.

Upon graduation I want to work parttime while finishing up my medical school prereqs. Maybe 10 credits a quarter. or so. Is anyone else out there in my shoes? Do you know whether many hospitals hire many parttime ER-techs? I do not have time to work full time. but if I could work maybe 20-25 hours a week while going to school that would be nice, I appreciate your responses.

T

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have much advice about part time ER-techs but there is always phlebotomy and that is usually part-time. Also I don't know if you are aware at how medschools look at students that first do one graduate/professional degree and then go back to get another one. I can't say how a DO school would look at you with that respect but, for instance, I recently worked with a resident that first went to law school, practiced law for 2 years and then wanted to apply to medical school. Exceptional student with high MCAT and GPA but he said that in all of his interviews they always asked him, "well you didn't stick law so what makes us think that you will stick to medicine." He was an MD and only applied to allopathic schools so I don't know what the difference will be for osteopathic schools but he still thinks that he was turned away from a lot of schools for this reason. They didn't think that he could committ to just one thing. Anyway, just thought I would let you know this.

lgriffie said:
Anyway, just thought I would let you know this.

Ya I can understand that some people may be suspicious of my decision to get two graduate degrees. I really do not see what the big yahoo is about it though. I think as long as you finish your program of study things will be fine.

I think alot of people make the mistake of believing that life is about only having one career. I Think sometimes life can be fulfilling having more then one career, that being said I always wanted to be a physician I just never took the time out before law school to take the classes, I was already commited to getting a law degree.

Im confident that if anyone gets a high GPA and MCAT, while showing why the want to be a physician that nothing can stop them from their goal. That being said, thanks for the advice.

T

Sainttpk,

I don't know about lgriffie's experience, but if you look at many listings of physicians (especially at the state medical board level) you will find that a lot of physicians have MD/JD or DO/JD combined degrees. As far as that goes, no big deal. The law degree would (in my opinion) come in very handy, as would many other graduate degrees. Noone balks at a MD/MBA or DO/MBA do they? Heck, the associate dean of medical education of our school is a DO/JD.

About working as an ER tech, I knew a lot of people that went this route before entering medical school. It is perfectly legitimate. Most hospitals are willing to work with you as far as work-hours go. They know that to most people (especially at the ER tech position) it is only a stop-gap until they finish some other degree (paramedic, medical school, nursing, etc) and move on.

Don't sweat it. Good luck!