Taking DAT End of August or September?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackM255

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
So I have made a few posts regarding the DAT as it is definitely the weakest aspect of my application. I have taken the DAT before and scored quite poorly... 17... ouch. I have been studying quite consistently reviewing materials to stay brushed up. But I am currently studying much harder as I plan to take the DAT here shortly. I am stressing to find a date that appeals to me to take the DAT mainly because I want to feel confident in the time I have to study. My weakpoints are O.chem mainly and the QR section. Basically my main question is whether it is best to take the test on a date like September 17th (random date I chose) or end of August. There are plenty of spots available throughout these weeks. I just wanted to gather some of your opinions on what the pros and cons of either decision would be.
My application is already verified and is submitted I just have it notified that I will be taking the DAT this month or early next month.

Members don't see this ad.

It's getting kind of late, so only your score would offset the lateness. Taking it the end of August means your scores will be official mid-September, and taking it early/mid-Sept would mean they'll be official the end of September. Both of these are getting late, and chances become iffy only because your application will be complete once it has your official scores, and then schools will have to "holistically review" it for a couple weeks (let's say 4 weeks) before they send you an interview, which would probably be mid/end of Oct. By this time, most if not all pre-Dec 3rd interviews will be full, so you might only be competing for post-Dec 3rd interviews, where seats become limited day by day.

Basically, a high score will be your only saving grace. There have been lots of stories on here regarding taking it in Aug/Sept, where people got 20s at the end of August, and are reapplying this cycle, or got a 23 in August, received only post Dec interviews, and only received 1 acceptance.

Since you're already verified, the longest delay in your app will be having your scores become official. Keep this in mind when you pick a date, and again try to score as high as you can :) Make sure you have a good variety of schools, and be prepared to reapply next year in case you are not able to offset your lateness this year. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user