Taking medical school before undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted980823

Is it a good idea to start medical school before getting my undergraduate degree? A college I’m interested in offers an early admission program into medical school to where you start first and get your bachelors degree while in medical school.

Is this a good idea? Will it be harder for me to understand some concepts?

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is that this is a BS/MD program. This means you will go through the bachelors degree portion first followed by medical school. Otherwise, I am pretty sure what you are talking about does not exist in the US.

Reactions: 1 user
My guess is that this is a BS/MD program. This means you will go through the bachelors degree portion first followed by medical school. Otherwise, I am pretty sure what you are talking about does not exist in the US.
Yeah this is what the situation probably is. Although this thread does raise this question in my mind: why are applicants required to finish a bachelor's degree before starting med school? Say taking both I/II of Bio, Chem, Orgo, Physics and then upper level sciences like Biochem, Anatomy, Micro, Immuno, Physio, Virology, Ecology, etc. Plus the MCAT should be enough to go off of, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah this is what the situation probably is. Although this thread does raise this question in my mind: why are applicants required to finish a bachelor's degree before starting med school? Say taking both I/II of Bio, Chem, Orgo, Physics and then upper level sciences like Biochem, Anatomy, Micro, Immuno, Physio, Virology, Ecology, etc. Plus the MCAT should be enough to go off of, right?
Technically speaking, most medical schools don't require a bachelor's degree. It's just that it would extraordinarily difficult to be a competitive applicant without a degree.

Technically speaking, most medical schools don't require a bachelor's degree. It's just that it would extraordinarily difficult to be a competitive applicant without a degree.
Huh, I thought it was a requirement all this time

In a lot of other countries the MD is a 6 year straight-out-of-highschool program. I believe it is different in the US because we are elitist and requiring a 4 year degree First weeds out the people who cannot afford undergrad (because FA is a lot easier to get for MED school than for undergrad for most low SES folk).