This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lioness413

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just graduated this spring and I'm applying for vet school right now but I'm not thrilled with my GPA (3.34) so I'm worried I won't get in my first time. I've heard about people taking community college courses to boost their GPAs post-graduation but the community colleges near me don't really offer any science classes that would work for me. I'm looking into doing non-degree online courses through other universities but I haven't heard any firsthand experiences with them. Has anyone tried one? Are they looked at favorably by admissions? I don't really see why they wouldn't be but I still wanted to check. Here's links to some of the programs I'm looking at in case anyone wants more information.
RECOMMENDED PRE-VETERINARY ELECTIVES
Non-Degree Courses - Distance Learning - University of Florida
Online Degrees, Certificates, and Courses - CSU Online

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't already, I would check with the schools on your list to make sure that they will accept online science courses and at what level (if they distinguish). If they aren't accepted, they still might go to your overall GPA but some schools look primarily at last-45 (or another capped number depending on the school), "all pre-requisites" (the courses required for that school), and "science pre-requisite" GPA. If the courses aren't accepted, then they might not be considered in the "all pre-req" and "science pre-req" GPAs that the school looks at heavily. Having a boosted last-45 isn't a bad idea, but it might not be as compelling to take the courses if that's all you're getting.

For example, prior to 2016 UGA didn't accept any online science courses. As of April 2016, they now accept online science courses from regionally accredited online programs, but only advance level (300-400 level) - the 100-200 general courses still have to be taken in a classroom to be used toward your GPAs.

ETA: my undergrad GPA was a 3.3 too :). I got in first try, but did do a masters program post-undergrad that I did well in. However, none of my masters courses qualified as pre-reqs so the only thing those boosted was my last-45 GPA.

If you haven't already, I would check with the schools on your list to make sure that they will accept online science courses and at what level (if they distinguish). If they aren't accepted, they still might go to your overall GPA but some schools look primarily at last-45 (or another capped number depending on the school), "all pre-requisites" (the courses required for that school), and "science pre-requisite" GPA. If the courses aren't accepted, then they might not be considered in the "all pre-req" and "science pre-req" GPAs that the school looks at heavily. Having a boosted last-45 isn't a bad idea, but it might not be as compelling to take the courses if that's all you're getting.

For example, prior to 2016 UGA didn't accept any online science courses. As of April 2016, they now accept online science courses from regionally accredited online programs, but only advance level (300-400 level) - the 100-200 general courses still have to be taken in a classroom to be used toward your GPAs.

ETA: my undergrad GPA was a 3.3 too :). I got in first try, but did do a masters program post-undergrad that I did well in. However, none of my masters courses qualified as pre-reqs so the only thing those boosted was my last-45 GPA.

Do you mind me asking what you got your masters in?

@puggleperson55 I have an MPH in Global Epidemiology, but I actually wouldn't recommend an MPH to someone actively working to get into vet school unless you plan to work for at least a couple of years with the MPH before starting a DVM. At the time that I got my MPH, I wasn't necessarily planning to go on to any other degree and committed fully to working. I have been a zoonotic epi for 5 years and through some fortunate turns and opportunities, I've maxed out how far I can move up the ladder without a doctoral degree so a DVM became a part of my plan years after my MPH. I also plan to go directly back into public health after my DVM.

Reactions: 1 user