Taking Physics, Biology, and Chemistry at the same time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacistApril

Pre-Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next Fall in order for me to get on track to start applying to schools next Year I need to take A Bio Course towards my minor, or Biochemistry. General Physics 1, and General Chemistry 2. I was wondering if any of you took three science classes and how did you do? Also I know it is ok in most cases to take 3 sciences classes with other core courses but is this a good idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Next Fall in order for me to get on track to start applying to schools next Year I need to take A Bio Course towards my major Micro, or Biochemistry. General Physics 1, and General Chemistry 2. I was wondering if any of you took three science classes and how did you do? Also I know it is ok in most cases to take 3 sciences classes with other core courses but is this a good idea.

I did it one semester I took three sciences class along with BioPsychology. It is pretty rough but if you work hard you can make. My GPA was kinda low that semester though ....3.2. I didn't drop any class though. Made mostly B's and A' in some.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just feel behind I work at a pharmacy and all the girls will be able to apply to pharmacy school soon and I will be left behind and they will become interns soon and I will still be a tech. I guess they can because they have been in school longer. Part of me still knows I need to get the bulk of my pre-reqs done so I can finish my B.A. in Sociology, Biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're going to have a tough semester/quarter, but it's definitely do-able. I'm taking 4 science courses right now, but it's all about time management. Make sure you have that planner ready so that you can juggle all the lecture exams and lab exams that always seem to fall inbetween. At least you're not taking Ochem this time around. That would be a real pain. :D

If your school offers winter term, i would take one of those classes then. Otherwise, i would go for it. I took Ochem, physics, gen chem, and gen microbiology in one semester. It was pretty much the hardest semester i ever had. But i managed to snag a 4.0

My school offers a winter term but they dont offer science classes. If I do this schedule for next semester I can take Ochem1,Ochem2 next summer they offer 5 week 1 Ochem first the first 5 weeks, and Ochem2 right after for 5 weeks. After that the only thing I would need to take is Calc, and the PCAT.

Im trying to do Pharm pre-req's all in 2 years. I took 3 pretty tough classes last semester (Chem1, Biology, and Calculus) plus some electives and came out with a 3.7. I am taking Chem2, Anatomy, and Biophysics plus labs with all three this semester, so I know what you will go through. I am starting to get used to it. You just have to plan ahead because big tests and big Lab exams WILL fall on the same week, last semester I had 6 big tests in one week (it wasnt even finals week), and some were night tests, so I had to study strategically, and had to plan ahead. You can do it, but you have to e very dedicated. Good Luck and im sure you will do just fine! :thumbup:

Im trying to do Pharm pre-req's all in 2 years. I took 3 pretty tough classes last semester (Chem1, Biology, and Calculus) plus some electives and came out with a 3.7. I am taking Chem2, Anatomy, and Biophysics plus labs with all three this semester, so I know what you will go through. I am starting to get used to it. You just have to plan ahead because big tests and big Lab exams WILL fall on the same week, last semester I had 6 big tests in one week (it wasnt even finals week), and some were night tests, so I had to study strategically, and had to plan ahead. You can do it, but you have to e very dedicated. Good Luck and im sure you will do just fine! :thumbup:

Wow you seem dedicated! Great! I go to a large school so everything is read, then take a test. I know what you mean I am in Bio 2 right now and that is how is. I am gonna get a Bachelors and I am pressed for time so I need to tackle this! Thanks for the encouragement.

Right now I'm in O Chem 2, physiology, microbiology and physics... it sucks but it can be done! You'll be studying a LOT... but I'm doing the 2 year pre-pharm thing so I'm kind of used to it... it's rough cramming everything in. But yea, it can be done. But if you can, summer classes or winter classes would really help! I know a girl who took physics at a community college and said it was a really good decision b/c it was really easy.. I don't know about taking chem or bio at a cc though... some schools might not like that.

I take just about 3 science courses and a GEC every quarter. It feels weird to me when my courseload is not heavy. Maybe that's why my GPA is only 3.2.

I'm a freshman and I did that last semester. 2.7 GPA, but that's because I didnt go to lectures.

You should be fine if you know how to study

I'm taking bio, physics, and chem except ochem not gen chem. So far so good :) so its defintely doable but its a lot of hardd work

One semester, I took physics, O-chem and zoology (all with labs). It was a tough semester, but I got better grades that semester than the next when I only had O-chem (with lab), genetics and statistics. I had developed Acceptance Apathy so I let my guard down.

Yeah, it's totally doable with dedication and good time management/study skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it can be done and your GPA doesn't have to suffer. Don't fall behind in anything. If you stay on top of everything, you'll be fine.

this is definitely do-able. last term i took the P1 biochemistry, microbiology, microbiology lab, and physiology..you will do fine...as the others said, just make sure you keep on top of things and try not to fall behind.

I am taking Physics II (calc based), O Chem II, and Micro w/ labs this semester, I drive an hour each way to school and gave 3 kids, 8th grade, 5th grade and Kindergarten, and my husband works usually 55-70 hrs a week. You just have to prioritize. DO NOT get behind. But it is possible to get A's w/ a heavy class schedule and a real life. Good Luck and remember that it will be worth it in the end

Okay - Of course this is do-able... many people have done it with success... But here's the thing - you don't NEED to. What happens if you finish your prereqs in 2 years? Most people that do, still wait until their 3rd year to matriculate... To be on the 2 year track... you must:

Semester 1:
Calc I
Bio I
Phy I
Chem I

Semester 2:
Bio 2
Phy 2
Chem 2
Statistics

***APPLY FOR PHARMACY SCHOOL***

Semester 3
Anatomy
Organic I
Biochem
Genetics

Semester 4
Physiology
Organic II
Microbiology
Favorite Elective

***matriculate Pharmacy School***

- mind you this does not include the multitude of courses you must take in your 1st or 2nd year like foreign lan. or freshmen comp or even humanities...

If you are not already on this track - as in applying for pharmacy school before or during your second year - your not on the (2 year) track - your on a 3 year plan.

If you find yourself on a three year plan (believe me, there is nothing wrong with it) - why kill yourself? Take your time - space out your classes. As a good general rule for the 3 year plan - never take more than 2 hard courses at the same time... My 3.7 (if you include last semester's 4.0) is a competitive GPA - had I pushed to get my courses done, it definitely would have suffered (how much is anyone's guess).

Sorry for such a long post - but you see so many Pre pharm/ pre med students screwing their GPA b/c they were in a rush. Take some time to smell the roses - you'll be happy you did.

~above~

Pharmacist April....

last semester I took Microbiology, biochemistry, organic chemistry and statistics..it was hell but i worked my ass off...I ended up the semester with a 3.86 GPA..if you're not working a lot, then ya u can do it..but u have to really focus and work hard or else u won't be happy...anyways good luck

if you're not working a lot, then ya u can do it..but u have to really focus and work hard or else u won't be happy...anyways good luck

I won't bore everyone with my heavy duty science semesters, because there are far better/rougher stories above. I will say, I don't know how some of you maintain the excellent grades while working at all. I'll admit there is no way I could do it and work a job, but I do have a family that might make up for not having a job.

How do u feel about taking bio 1 and chem 1 in the summer together or bio and physics. Im thinkin about do this myself cause I wanna get my pre req completed soon. also maybe u all can offer some good ways u all got your pre req complete a quicker but effiecient way.

I agree with the other posters - it is definitely doable, but it won't be easy! You seem really dedicated, so I'm sure you'll be just fine. I took Orgo I (with lab), Physics I (with lab), Microbiology (with lab), plus 2 non-science electives in one semester and survived. It will also help/further refine your time management skills! Good luck! :luck:

3 is definetly possible. I did it last semester, I had a Bio, Chem and Physics. Yes, it is challanging but I think because they are challanging couses you are more motivated for them. I'm not complaining because I got a 3.9 in each of the 3 sciences couses.=D

If your school offers winter term, i would take one of those classes then. Otherwise, i would go for it. I took Ochem, physics, gen chem, and gen microbiology in one semester. It was pretty much the hardest semester i ever had. But i managed to snag a 4.0

Umm...how can u take orgo and gen chem the same semester? isn't gen chem the prereq for orgo??

Umm...how can u take orgo and gen chem the same semester? isn't gen chem the prereq for orgo??

I knew a girl who take Gen Chem II and Org I at the same time. She had the dean's approval to do so. You dont really need much for org I... Its an animal unto itself.

As a side note = she didn't do all that well...

~above~

3 is definetly possible. I did it last semester, I had a Bio, Chem and Physics. Yes, it is challanging but I think because they are challanging couses you are more motivated for them. I'm not complaining because I got a 3.9 in each of the 3 sciences couses.=D

how do you get a 3.9 in any one course???

I took Bio1 Chem1 and Physics 1 last semester. I managed to get all A's.. phew. This semester I am taking Chem 2 Bio 2 and Physics 2

When I took my prereqs, I took biology, physics, gen. chem., orgo, and a 3-credit class, totaling 19 credits. It played out this way over two semesters. Nothing was ever said of taking gen. chem. and orgo concurrently in my case.

There was one semester in my junior year I took Cal 2, Molecular genetics, Molecular biotech lab, Gen Phys (Cal-based) 2 and gen phys lab 2. There was another one I took Cell, Cell lab, Nutrition science, Music History, Quantitative chem and its lab. These were really rough semesters but if you really focuse and work hard, you'll make it through. Besides, you should find the science classes interesting which will then stimulate you to study rather than force you to do so. Why don't you try to go for a B.S., it's much better than BA though... give it a thought then !

Thanks for the encouragement. I just feel behind I work at a pharmacy and all the girls will be able to apply to pharmacy school soon and I will be left behind and they will become interns soon and I will still be a tech. I guess they can because they have been in school longer. Part of me still knows I need to get the bulk of my pre-reqs done so I can finish my B.A. in Sociology, Biology.