Teaching Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emthichrangdep

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone thought about teaching dental school? Does anyone know the requirements to teach, reasons to teach, when you can teach after graduating dental school, pros/cons, etc..

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think a good route to take concerning this question is to email a current member of a dental school. If I were to ask the question, I would email Dr. Karl Kingsley at the UNLV dental school. He is currently teaching a number of subjects there and is very approachable with this type of a question. Don't ask his credentials because his will outshine anyone, so just ask what the norm is and what you might be interested in doing. He is a young professor in a new school, so his information will be pretty fresh. His email is [email protected] <[email protected]>. I hope this helps.

emthichrangdep said:
I was just curious if anyone thought about teaching dental school? Does anyone know the requirements to teach, reasons to teach, when you can teach after graduating dental school, pros/cons, etc..

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Hello there,

After I finished off my fellowship in Maxillofacial Prosthodontics at MSKCC, I applied to 3 places for a teaching job as an tenured track full time assistant professor. Since there was such a shortage of dental faculty and the difficulty of attracting them, I was a highly desirable applicant. I went into teaching because I LOVE IT!!! I spent week nights and weekends in lab to help the students with their lab work and with their didactic classes. The two years I was there were the BEST years of my life so far!!! Anyway, the schools were so desperate of getting people to fill the slot that a Chair of a school called me and said that " What ever they offered you at UT Memphis, I add 10,000K to that!. Well, I already gave my words to UT Memphis so I could not back out. To teach at a dental school, all you need is a DDS or a PhD if you teach allied health classes (pharmacology, histology...) degree and you should be offered at least at a rank of assistant professor level. If you have advanced degrees like Masters/PhD and have taught before at that rank, you can ask to be placed at Associate Professor level. The problem with teaching is this:

1. Low salary. Typical salary is as follows: Assistant Professor - 50-60 K.
Associate Professor- 65-75 K
Professor- 75-85K

It is rare to see young faculty at the schools because of the student loans that they have to pay back and the low salary. I left because I could not afford with my 255K student loan.

2. Politics. That's right. To be promoted and be tenured requires alot of "who you know" rather than "what you know". I knew of many excellent professors who got passed over for promotion (although the students love them and they have published papers) to the ones who are lazy but "buddy-buddy" with the Dean who ofcourse got promoted.

Teaching is LOTS of fun if you like to teach but be prepared to be "poor" and have to deal with lots of Bull%&^*&t politics. DP

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i really enjoy teaching! i've tutored elementary school kids in reading and math and given lectures to senior citizens on the aging brain. i find it very rewarding to be able to pass my knowledge onto somebody else and inspire them to push themselves harder.

i plan to go back and teach at a dental school fulltime as a 'second career'... but only after i've saved enough for retirement from private practice because dental faculty do not get paid very well (which is why there is such a shortage of fulltime faculty in our nation's dental schools).

Reactions: 1 user
here is a cold hard fact about most dental school profs. you rarely see young ones because why would you want to make less money and have to deal with pushing papers every day? unless you really love teaching, why give up that brand new mercedez?

the ones who teach in dental school are old, kind of psychotic, social rejects who had hard time when they went to d-school and want to "pay back". these people are generally aloof loners who couldn't make it in the real world after graduating from dental school- they may have tried to open up their own practice but ultimately failed because they had poor communication skill, lack people skill, and generally too egotistical to admit that they have failed.

of course the last thing they do is get into their alum school and begin the process of torturing young minds and bitch and moan because you missed the margin by 0.01mm and gradually shaping poor souls into hideous monsters like themselves.

polarnut said:
here is a cold hard fact about most dental school profs. you rarely see young ones because why would you want to make less money and have to deal with pushing papers every day? unless you really love teaching, why give up that brand new mercedez?

the ones who teach in dental school are old, kind of psychotic, social rejects who had hard time when they went to d-school and want to "pay back". these people are generally aloof loners who couldn't make it in the real world after graduating from dental school- they may have tried to open up their own practice but ultimately failed because they had poor communication skill, lack people skill, and generally too egotistical to admit that they have failed.

of course the last thing they do is get into their alum school and begin the process of torturing young minds and bitch and moan because you missed the margin by 0.01mm and gradually shaping poor souls into hideous monsters like themselves.

That's quite an embittered response! I like your imagination. :rolleyes:

philicity said:
That's quite an embittered response! I like your imagination. :rolleyes:

oh the stories i could tell...

polarnut said:

Hi there,

Your assesment of dental professors are quite interesting. Being personally a dental student of three different dental schools (UMKC, University of Minesota and Marquette University) and a former prof. at UT Memphis, I see the "typical" dental professors as follows....

1. The "pre-retirement" types who had a fair share of private practice and just looking for something to do before retiring. Their goal is NOT for the love of teaching. These are the ones whose motives are not to teach the students but rather using the dental school as their social 'hang outs". These ones came in two forms.

a. The Lazy Type ( the ones that sit on their butts with the newspapers 90% of the time). They are usually very "easy graders" and they are among the dental student's favorite for their competencies.

b. The Mean Type ( the ones that already have a chip on their shoulders). They are the ones that nobody goes to as they tend to be mean and harsh on students. They do not enjoy being there and it shows. This group is the ones that gives the image of "making the students pay" and give dental faculty a bad name!

2. The "Could Not Cut It In Private World" type. I think this type is very few as it is mostly a misconception among students. They can always work in a partnership rather than owning their own practice and earn much more than teaching. I really don't think this type exists in any detectable quantity.

3. The "pre-retirement" types who really LOVE teaching. This group is the best group that the students could ask for. They have tons of experience and they love to share with the students. They are older and wiser so listen to them! At UT Memphis, all of the restorative faculty were very very nice. Unfortunatetly, most of them retired a year after I left.

4. The "Love Teaching" types who are relatively young who thought that they can be "poor" but be happy. Sooner or later, they find out that being "poor" is just too painful so they left. Guess who belongs to this type? Me, that's right. I love teaching and for the two years I was there, both dental class 2005 and 2006 gave me a special appreciation awards and I still have them haging in my office. I wish I could stay but I can't imagine myself at age 60 still lives in an apartment!

5. The "Anal Retentive" type who all students AVOID when comes to C&B Competency time! Guess who belong to this group? All prosthodontists, that's right. It is not that they do not like teaching, or being mean or what ... but after 3 years of inhaling methylmethacrylate in post grad., they turn out to be that way. Have mercy on them....

So there you have it ... The most detailed breakdown of all dental school Professors in a nut shell... DP

Thanks to all who replied!

I realize that the salary for teaching is pretty low, but aren't there professors who teach and have a practice? Is this possible if someone really likes teaching/wants to teach?

emthichrangdep said:
Thanks to all who replied!

I realize that the salary for teaching is pretty low, but aren't there professors who teach and have a practice? Is this possible if someone really likes teaching/wants to teach?

Hello there,

This is the time to understand more about the world of dental academia. When you teach at the Dental school, the school will offer you:

a. Full time OR

b. Part time.

The full time jobs are mostly tenured track ( you have the opportunity to be a "life time" faculty if you get promoted down the road) and require you to teach dental classes/doing research as well as handling clinical floor. Since the demand on you is so high, you are not given much opportunity to have your own practice. Who wants to work on weekends after a full week of teaching? However, the schools will allow you 1/2 day a week (in my case) to practice at the Faculty Practice or on your own. In my case, I got 30% of what I collect from patients in my faculty practice. Some schools may allow full time faculty more than 1/2 day to practice, but not many.

The part time jobs are mostly clinical (handling clinical floor) and not tenured track. That means you work there on an "as needed" basis. These postions only require them to cover the clinic say one day a week or a half-day. All of the faculty have their own practice and they usually come to dental school on their day off.

So, if your goal is just do some simple teaching then you will have ample opportunity to run your own private clinic by becoming a part time faculty (usually at low academic rank like instructor level). However, if you are into preparing lectures, doing research, involve in academic (assistant professor and up), then having your own private practice is next to impossible. Some schools do not allow you to do so or you simply do not have the time to do both. There are exceptions but this is generally true at most institutions. DP

Thank you Dr. DP for clearing all that up for me...

Now, after knowing all this, I was just wondering if anyone is considering teaching in the future?

Hello there,

After I finished off my fellowship in Maxillofacial Prosthodontics at MSKCC, I applied to 3 places for a teaching job as an tenured track full time assistant professor. Since there was such a shortage of dental faculty and the difficulty of attracting them, I was a highly desirable applicant. I went into teaching because I LOVE IT!!! I spent week nights and weekends in lab to help the students with their lab work and with their didactic classes. The two years I was there were the BEST years of my life so far!!! Anyway, the schools were so desperate of getting people to fill the slot that a Chair of a school called me and said that " What ever they offered you at UT Memphis, I add 10,000K to that!. Well, I already gave my words to UT Memphis so I could not back out. To teach at a dental school, all you need is a DDS or a PhD if you teach allied health classes (pharmacology, histology...) degree and you should be offered at least at a rank of assistant professor level. If you have advanced degrees like Masters/PhD and have taught before at that rank, you can ask to be placed at Associate Professor level. The problem with teaching is this:

1. Low salary. Typical salary is as follows: Assistant Professor - 50-60 K.
Associate Professor- 65-75 K
Professor- 75-85K

It is rare to see young faculty at the schools because of the student loans that they have to pay back and the low salary. I left because I could not afford with my 255K student loan.

2. Politics. That's right. To be promoted and be tenured requires alot of "who you know" rather than "what you know". I knew of many excellent professors who got passed over for promotion (although the students love them and they have published papers) to the ones who are lazy but "buddy-buddy" with the Dean who ofcourse got promoted.

Teaching is LOTS of fun if you like to teach but be prepared to be "poor" and have to deal with lots of Bull%&^*&t politics. DP

Hi there
I would like to take your opinion from your expertise. I am a foreign qualified dentist with masters in oral pathology and PhD in oral microbiology.
I am already teaching as an assistant professor in one of the leading university in Middle East. Now I am looking for a university job in a dental school in canada. Can you please guide me a bit as how competitive will it me for a foreign trained dentist.

Much thanks

In case of part time faculty, what is their general income?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile