Teaching Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boogiecousins94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good ideas for volunteering that involve some sort of teaching? Not like full time but like once/twice a week type things.

I work full time in research so my time is limited to very early morning, later at night, or weekends. I tried to science tutoring stuff at the local schools where I am as well as try to help with an English as Second Language course, but due to work/timing I can't help out. Middle school tutoring is in the middle of the day and the ESL course is 7:30PM at night but its the one day a week I'm taking a night class so I can't help

Any other ideas? I would like to help with some sort of science/math or adult learning such as the ESL. I'm going to try and find places that do it on the weekend I'm just having a difficult time coming up with ideas of stuff that is feasible to do on a weekend as kids are not in school etc.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in a city with a children's hospital? Some of those kids are in the hospital for long stretches of time and they need tutors. Someone who could help with math & science homework on Sat or Sun might be useful. Also, those older kids might be able to stay up a bit in the evening so that might be possible too.

Are you in an area with a shelter for people with kids? A social service agency (or a pastor or other religious leader) in your community may be able to help you find domestic violence shelters or regular homeless shelters that would be happy to have your help on weekends to help kids with homework and so forth. You might meet kids at the shelter or at the public library for tutoring sessions. (Sometimes the exact location of the domestic violence shelter is kept secret for the residents' safety.) Sometimes the adults in these shelters are preparing for their HS diploma or GED or in community college and they can use tutors too.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any good ideas for volunteering that involve some sort of teaching? Not like full time but like once/twice a week type things.

I work full time in research so my time is limited to very early morning, later at night, or weekends. I tried to science tutoring stuff at the local schools where I am as well as try to help with an English as Second Language course, but due to work/timing I can't help out. Middle school tutoring is in the middle of the day and the ESL course is 7:30PM at night but its the one day a week I'm taking a night class so I can't help

Any other ideas? I would like to help with some sort of science/math or adult learning such as the ESL. I'm going to try and find places that do it on the weekend I'm just having a difficult time coming up with ideas of stuff that is feasible to do on a weekend as kids are not in school etc.

Thanks for the help

I tutor underprivileged kids that speak Spanish with math and english through a program called AYUDA. You can always find programs that do that sort of thing!! I recommend searching online.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I tutor through my university's student athlete academic center. Might not have quite the service component that you're looking for, but it's really helped me to develop my teaching and communication skills.

Are you in a city with a children's hospital? Some of those kids are in the hospital for long stretches of time and they need tutors. Someone who could help with math & science homework on Sat or Sun might be useful. Also, those older kids might be able to stay up a bit in the evening so that might be possible too.

Second this. Especially in peds heme/onc, there are a lot of kids struggling to keep up so they don't have stay back a year and drop behind their friends.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the replies. I actually live in a big city with one of the best childrens hospitals and have looked into volunteering there, but they have so many volunteer requests it seems that they're not recruiting new volunteers right now.

Literally yesterday I got a daily email that the hospital I work for sends out and the first thing was "need volunteers to become mentors for middle school students and their science fair projects." It says its twice a month in the mornings from October to January. I decided I'm going to try to pursue this as I would find it very enjoyable and would actually fit in with my work schedule since the students come to the hospital instead of me traveling there

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for all the replies. I actually live in a big city with one of the best childrens hospitals and have looked into volunteering there, but they have so many volunteer requests it seems that they're not recruiting new volunteers right now.

Literally yesterday I got a daily email that the hospital I work for sends out and the first thing was "need volunteers to become mentors for middle school students and their science fair projects." It says its twice a month in the mornings from October to January. I decided I'm going to try to pursue this as I would find it very enjoyable and would actually fit in with my work schedule since the students come to the hospital instead of me traveling there

This sounds really amazing! My husband and I are trying to tutor once a week or so - we actually found an organization that recruits tutors for kids in juvenile prisons, and I know there are a few local organizations that want tutors for after school programs. We were looking into beginning something after Labor Day, but now we have to prep for the hurricane. Let me know how it goes - that sounds like an exciting opportunity!