Telling ADCOM plan to retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

domiweasley

Reaction score
I took the MCAT in May 2021 and was disappointed to receive my score of 498. However, after talking to a friend in med school (she got a 500) I decided to still apply to a few schools (DO and MD) this cycle because the rest of my application is strong. I know that if I do not get in this cycle, my low score is likely a big contributing factor, thus I plan to retake it. I know where I went wrong with studying (not staying consistent with studying, spending too much time reading textbooks and watching KA rather than doing practice problems) and am meeting with a tutor now.

Here is my debate though, I do not know when I should retake it and have received conflicting information. On the one hand, I can take it in January and hope that ADCOM see my score improvement and it helps me get in this cycle. On the other hand, that is late in the cycle and they may have offered all their acceptances by then, in which case maybe I should spend more time studying and take it later with the plan to only use it next cycle (assuming I don't get in this cycle). If I decide to retest in January should I contact admissions at the schools I sent secondaries to and let them know of my plan to get their perspective (and if they like the rest of my application they can keep me in mind) or is it bad to tell them I am retaking the exam because then it draws attention to a flaw in my application?

Thank you in advance for the feedback - I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Only take the MCAT when you feel like you’re ready to crush it. Are you sure you’ll be ready for the retake by January at the latest? If so, by all means, go for it and get the MCAT out of the way at the very least if you need to reapply. Otherwise, just wait after January, crush the MCAT, and reapply next year. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with the above. An MCAT score taken after the cutoff date is unlikely to impact your current cycle. You know your MCAT is low, but telling a program you are going to retake may cause them to wait to see how this next attempt goes. If you were my student, I would say that you have applied and your application for this cycle isn’t going to change. I would tell you to consider yourself not accepted until you hear otherwise and plan accordingly: continue to build your resume, consider additional classes, and yes, study to retake the MCAT after identifying what led to a sub 50 percentile MCAT score. While you say above that you were disappointed with your score, was it in line with your practice scores? If it was, or close to it, then you know you took the test before you were prepared to do so. If your practice scores were significantly higher then you may need to work on managing anxiety etc. The MCAT is like a marriage - you only want to do it once, but if it must be, make sure the second time is the last. Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your perspectives and well wishes. As suggested, I will consider my application this cycle to be done and set myself up to apply next year.
My AMMC practice MCAT scores were around 505 so not significantly higher but I had hoped for at least a 500. I'd say my lower score was due to a combo of test day anxiety and my test including C/P concepts I did not study much. I have started studying again for the MCAT and worked with a tutor to make a better study plan. I'm already feeling better about my studying habits now compared to when I last took it and am determined to significantly improve my score.

Reactions: 1 user