Temple ACMS vs UConn Program B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chasseurducam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have just been accepted into both Temple ACMS and UConn Program B. I would love some thoughts about which one to go to. I have done a lot of research on both, including talking thoroughly to both admins and two grads from each program. Here is the pro/con list for both:

Temple:

Pros:
1) Guaranteed seat if I hit 3.5 post-bacc GPA and 30 MCAT
2) ACMS students do 25% better on their boards than the average medical student because they take biochemistry, anatomy, microbiology, immunology, physiology and pharmacology in the post-bacc year. They are therefore very prepared for the first two years of medical school.
3) Philadelphia: I love the city
4) Med school location: I am interested in primary care and infectious disease for underserved populations. North Philadelphia is definitely not the best part of town but it has a patient population I am very interested in.
5) Great facilities: basically brand new building with high-tech facilities
6) Relaxed post-bac culture: because ACMS students take individualized program classes, they are very willing to help each other and almost everyone gets the grades because of this.
7) Includes MCAT prep
8) Scheduled shadowing during post-bacc

Cons:
1) Price for postbacc: $45,000 including tuition, living, and books. Only $12,500 of this can be covered by Stafford loans and the other $32,500 has to be covered by private loans, which can have high, changing loan rates.
2) Price for medical school: $60,000-$65,000 a year for everything
3) They do not really give grants once accepted into the medical school. I was told by two different people that there is not much financial help for the first year once you are accepted
4) Higher MCAT requirement: the 30 is the reason most people who still want to go do not matriculate into the med school.
5) You are required to only apply to their medical school. Makes since though, since they guarantee you a seat in their med school from the beginning

UConn:

Pros:
1) 8/10 of the postbac students, on average, get accepted each year. They want a 27-28 MCAT and around 3.5 postbac GPA.
2) Medical school focuses on primary care, including scheduling shadowing of primary care doctors from day 1.
3) Postbacc price: $25,000 for tuition, living, and books, all covered under Stafford loans; no private loans needed.
4) Price for Medical School: $45,000 for everything per year.
5) Has given grants to accepted post-bac student from day 1.
6) 27-28 MCAT requirement. From what I hear, much more doable than 30.
7) Small med school class size: only 90-100 people a class, which creates a closer class and more attention from faculty
8) I would most likely go to the med school afterwards anyways, but they don’t require me to only apply to UConn med. Leaves options open…

Cons:
1) No guaranteed acceptance. They do have a very high acceptance rate for post bacc students but nothing guaranteed
2) Have to take undergrad classes possibly without other post-baccs, upping the difficulty and competitiveness for getting the 3.5, especially since they want you to take difficult classes to prepare you for med school
3) Post bacc year is in Storrs, in the middle of no-where conn
4) Med school in Farmington and I prefer a larger city
4) Older facilities
5) Because you are taking individualized class schedules, there might be no real collegiality between post-bacc students since you might not even see them.
6) No MCAT prep included

In the end, cost is a huge factor for me. I want as much freedom and options as possible after med school and I will most likely be in $100,000+ more in debt by going to Temple (postbac + med) than UConn (postbac + med). However, if both schools had cost the same amount, I think I would prefer Temple.

Anyone have any thoughts? Also, I would love to hear from people who have done these programs or would like to correct/add info on any of these.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just my opinion but take that guarantee. Not many things in life are guaranteed.

at first I was going to say definitely go with the guaranteed matriculation. however, you laid it out in a way that makes me split hairs.

I think it rolls down to your GPA, anticipated MCAT, and ECs. if you have a high GPA but are not sure about the 30 MCAT, then no question, UConn is the way to go. you are probably going to get into med school anyway without a guaranteed matric to one school. 80% is good enough for someone with a high GPA.

if you have a low GPA (let's say below 3.6) then definitely do temple provided that you think you can reach the 30 MCAT. in this scenario, you really need the linkage. on the bright side, you will be given the MCAT prep course + critical thinking classes. moreover, you will have 3 attempts this summer and 3 attempts after jan 2014 to break the 30 just once. if you took this route, you've just been accepted now so you can use all summer to kill the MCAT. study for the mcat full time for 2 months and take it in early august and after the exam sign up again for September so you can sit in again right after you get your score. that's at least two attempts with the hope that you get the MCAT out of the way.

with intense MCAT prep & 6 attempts you can probably get the 30 unless you hate standardized tests.

also, I hate private loans, but shop around for deals just in case that changes your mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Temple:
4) Higher MCAT requirement: the 30 is the reason most people who still want to go do not matriculate into the med school.

A 30 on the MCAT is nothing compared to Step I. If you can't get a 30 on your MCAT, you're gonna have a hell of a time doing well on your Step I.

UConn:
2) Medical school focuses on primary care, including scheduling shadowing of primary care doctors from day 1.

You don't need a postbac program for this. This is something you can do yourself if you're diligent over a summer break.

UConn:
2) Have to take undergrad classes possibly without other post-baccs, upping the difficulty and competitiveness for getting the 3.5, especially since they want you to take difficult classes to prepare you for med school

This shouldn't be listed as a con. There are many lazy, unfocused undergrad students in "difficult" classes. I was one of them. Most people on the post-bac boards probably were as well (which is why we're here in the first place). Grades will come easier because you're taking them with undergrads.

In the end, cost is a huge factor for me. I want as much freedom and options as possible after med school and I will most likely be in $100,000+ more in debt by going to Temple (postbac + med) than UConn (postbac + med). However, if both schools had cost the same amount, I think I would prefer Temple.

Anyone have any thoughts? Also, I would love to hear from people who have done these programs or would like to correct/add info on any of these.

Thanks!

This is the only real factor, imo. You need to decide whether or not the peace of mind you get at Temple is worth $100,000. If the distraction you get from worrying about whether or not you're going to get into medical school is going to prevent you from excelling in your classes, then spend the money. If not, then decide what you feel is more important. Just bear in mind that the 8/10 that did get into med school from the post-bac in UConn got in because they put in the effort and hard work. They probably would have gotten in regardless of which postbac/SMP they chose. Likewise, the ones who missed the benchmark 30MCAT in Temple failed to get in because they didn't put in the work required.

A 30 on the MCAT is nothing compared to Step I. If you can't get a 30 on your MCAT, you're gonna have a hell of a time doing well on your Step I.

MCAT vs Step 1 is comparing apples to oranges. Ask most medical students and they will tell you Step 1 is nothing like the passage critical thinking test of MCAT.

To OP: This really just seems like your worried about your MCAT score. Are you a poor standardized test taker?

$20,000 difference for a guarantee spot would definitely be worth it IMO. You're also in one of the best hubs for clinical rotations with Temple. (not really sure about UConn TBH)

Also, are you OOS or in-state for UConn? It looks like if you are OOS, their medical school tuition is virtually the same.

MCAT vs Step 1 is comparing apples to oranges. Ask most medical students and they will tell you Step 1 is nothing like the passage critical thinking test of MCAT.
As someone who just took step 1, I endorse this message.

Its also nothing like the physics/gen chem or bio/organic chem sections either

To OP: This really just seems like your worried about your MCAT score. Are you a poor standardized test taker?

$20,000 difference for a guarantee spot would definitely be worth it IMO. You're also in one of the best hubs for clinical rotations with Temple. (not really sure about UConn TBH)

Also, are you OOS or in-state for UConn? It looks like if you are OOS, their medical school tuition is virtually the same.

I am actually a pretty good at standardized tests. I did well on the SAT and when I took the LSAT (what I thought I wanted to do right out of college but figured out I didn't), I got in the 95th percentile on the critical reasoning section. Why I worry about the MCAT is I haven't taken a science class in 6 years...I don't know how I will do because I have never taken a standardized test in science.

Also, the program director at UConn Med confirmed that after I complete the post-bac, I will be eligible for in-state tuition.

For those who are taking the boards/have taken the boards, what do you think about Temple's assertion that their post-bacc students do 25% better than the average medical student on the boards. Is this worth all the extra money?

I am actually a pretty good at standardized tests. I did well on the SAT and when I took the LSAT (what I thought I wanted to do right out of college but figured out I didn't), I got in the 95th percentile on the critical reasoning section. Why I worry about the MCAT is I haven't taken a science class in 6 years...I don't know how I will do because I have never taken a standardized test in science.

Also, the program director at UConn Med confirmed that after I complete the post-bac, I will be eligible for in-state tuition.

For those who are taking the boards/have taken the boards, what do you think about Temple's assertion that their post-bacc students do 25% better than the average medical student on the boards. Is this worth all the extra money?

If that is the case, I would go with Temple. I had a friend who went through their program, although she already had an MCAT score of 30 before entering, she talked about how caring the staff was about making sure their students succeeded in the post-bacc. She was also extremely happy because she didn't go through the same stresses of the other first year medical students. She slept soundly at night before tests while other students crammed extra for every test.

I'm not familiar with what exact medical school courses they teach but comparatively, I am in a SMP where I got to take medical school courses also. We have the option of taking the NBME shelf exams and it is amazing how much confidence it provides by doing well on them.

Either way, it looks like you'll be a successful applicant. Have you taken a look at their match list and other factors? What type of teaching style? Grading? Etc.

Smells like bullsh*t to me

So I have just been accepted into both Temple ACMS and UConn Program B. I would love some thoughts about which one to go to. I have done a lot of research on both, including talking thoroughly to both admins and two grads from each program. Here is the pro/con list for both:

Temple:

Pros:
1) Guaranteed seat if I hit 3.5 post-bacc GPA and 30 MCAT
2) ACMS students do 25% better on their boards than the average medical student because they take biochemistry, anatomy, microbiology, immunology, physiology and pharmacology in the post-bacc year. They are therefore very prepared for the first two years of medical school.
3) Philadelphia: I love the city
4) Med school location: I am interested in primary care and infectious disease for underserved populations. North Philadelphia is definitely not the best part of town but it has a patient population I am very interested in.
5) Great facilities: basically brand new building with high-tech facilities
6) Relaxed post-bac culture: because ACMS students take individualized program classes, they are very willing to help each other and almost everyone gets the grades because of this.
7) Includes MCAT prep
8) Scheduled shadowing during post-bacc

Cons:
1) Price for postbacc: $45,000 including tuition, living, and books. Only $12,500 of this can be covered by Stafford loans and the other $32,500 has to be covered by private loans, which can have high, changing loan rates.
2) Price for medical school: $60,000-$65,000 a year for everything
3) They do not really give grants once accepted into the medical school. I was told by two different people that there is not much financial help for the first year once you are accepted
5) You are required to only apply to their medical school. Makes since though, since they guarantee you a seat in their med school from the beginning

UConn:

Pros:
1) 8/10 of the postbac students, on average, get accepted each year. They want a 27-28 MCAT and around 3.5 postbac GPA.
3) Postbacc price: $25,000 for tuition, living, and books, all covered under Stafford loans; no private loans needed.
4) Price for Medical School: $45,000 for everything per year.
5) Has given grants to accepted post-bac student from day 1.
6) 27-28 MCAT requirement. From what I hear, much more doable than 30.
7) Small med school class size: only 90-100 people a class, which creates a closer class and more attention from faculty
8) I would most likely go to the med school afterwards anyways, but they don’t require me to only apply to UConn med. Leaves options open…

Cons:
1) No guaranteed acceptance. They do have a very high acceptance rate for post bacc students but nothing guaranteed
3) Post bacc year is in Storrs, in the middle of no-where conn
4) Med school in Farmington and I prefer a larger city
4) Older facilities
5) Because you are taking individualized class schedules, there might be no real collegiality between post-bacc students since you might not even see them.
6) No MCAT prep included

Thanks!

Did you apply for GRAD PLUS loans? They typically cover any out-of-pocket expense Stafford loans don't cover. Or were you not eligible to obtain them?

Wow they're already accepting people at Temple ACMS? I thought the first interviews aren't until January...

He chose UCONN and I'm so glad because now I have a bestie!