Temple class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
redhead said:
Hey Dr. BadVibes....can you tell me if there is a lot of focus on Immunology? I am taking that course right now and we seem to be going into a lot of depth. How about biochemistry and Microbiology.....depth wise? I am also taking those courses. Also, can you recommend a dental terminology book? Do I need one for school? I was thinking about buying one to familarize myself with some terms and also help me while I am working in my ortho's office

There actually is no class on Immunology; it's actually incorporated into micro, which is taken your sophomore year, first semester. Taking micro in undergrad can help, but there's still a ****load of stuff you still need to know. I'm not saying it's pointless to take micro in undergrad, but it should be able to help you on the first exam. hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

superman said:
Does anyone know if East Falls is a nice place to live? How does it compare to Roxborough? Thanks.

I think EAst Falls is pretty nice. I live here right now. The only thing is though, for the apartments here, you have you pay utilities, where as in a lot of the apartments in roxborough, the utilities are usually included, even electricity. Pretty nice, but I prefer to live close to school. I think rent around here is generally a little less, but like I said, utitilities aren't included. I think if you live conservatively (ie, don't leave the light, ac or heater on 24/7!), you should be fine.

hopethat helps!

jiffbedgerson said:
Hey Dr. Bad Vibes or anyone else currently attending tusod, hope finals are going well, how do the professors handle the students at Temple? would you consider it to be a good relationship, all in all? Who are you more/less fond of? I never got to really meet any of the professors on the interview to get a feel for myself and i was hoping you could give me some insight! Thanks :thumbup:

It all depends....some profs are extremely nice and helpful and some are not and dont care...but if you ask for help, i have never been refused or looked down upon.....I guess for some people you gotta make the first move.....there is nothing special about the profs at Temple and nothing bad....im sure its the same everywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess for me Woodmere(right in front of Summit Park) it is.
i just placed my deposit. i hope i did not make a mistake...what do you guys think?

it is like $80-90 cheaper than Summit Park and it looks pretty much the same with same benefits.

aceking said:
i just placed my deposit. i hope i did not make a mistake...what do you guys think?

it is like $80-90 cheaper than Summit Park and it looks pretty much the same with same benefits.

There all great places that are really close together (Summit Park, woodmere, Valley High, Henry on the Park), the only reason I suggested Valley High b/c they have W/D in the unit and an optional den, but Woodmere has all util included, so thats a great move for you for the time being, Good Luck dude, see you in august!

jiffbedgerson said:
There all great places that are really close together (Summit Park, woodmere, Valley High, Henry on the Park), the only reason I suggested Valley High b/c they have W/D in the unit and an optional den, but Woodmere has all util included, so thats a great move for you for the time being, Good Luck dude, see you in august!

basically, i had two options:
do i want free electric paying $50 more for rent(Woodmere) or W/D inside my place paying the electric(Valley High)? Seriously, a coin flip situation

Take care jiff and all you future classmates

To all those who attend Temple Dental......I have been looking for a place to live.....Is Mt.Airy a good place to live? They had cheap housing--so I am thinking that it is really far from the school or in a bad area. Also, I hear that some really nice places are Old City, Air museum area, center city, and Manayunk--are those truly nice--how far is the commute? I am really thinking about taking PT (i.e the subway) to get to school.....I am also thinking about not taking a car and just using PT for everthing...shopping for food, etc. Is that a wise idea? Please let me know any input you have--it is much needed and will be appreciated!

aceking said:

Hi, i have picked woodmere. when are you gonna move in?

i dreamt that i went to temple's orientation day, and i wasn't on their student list...and everyone was looking @ me like i was on CRACK...and then i was like "oh ****, i didn't get accepted here! i'm meant to be goin to NYU"

AHAHAHAHAHA :laugh: :D :eek:

clearly, i have some underlying love :love: for temple

gdluck everyone!
i will visit! :D

fruity_trident said:
i dreamt that i went to temple's orientation day, and i wasn't on their student list...and everyone was looking @ me like i was on CRACK...and then i was like "oh ****, i didn't get accepted here! i'm meant to be goin to NYU"

AHAHAHAHAHA :laugh: :D :eek:

clearly, i have some underlying love :love: for temple

gdluck everyone!
i will visit! :D

LOL, Good Luck to U 2 Fruity, have fun at NYUCD!!! :thumbup:

Woo hoo! Finally got me a place in Roxborough called Donna Court Apts. Only paying $685 for one bedroom gas included and only 15 min away from school. Looking forward to meeting you all this August.
I hope they don't get upset that I can't get a quarter gallon of teeth.
If I extract all of my teeth I won't need a root canal anymore.

I put my deposit down on an apartment in manayunk and was thinking of just taking public transportation instead of taking a car. what trains will I need to take to get to the school?

I'm actually not too sure what particular train you'd take, but you could go to setpa.org and find out from there. If you click on "Plan my trip", you can enter in your starting address and destination address and it'll give you the nearest stations or bus stops to go to. hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
cusp of carabelli said:
Hi, i have picked woodmere. when are you gonna move in?

June 25th is the day that i can move in. U from Cali ??

Does anyone know what kind of computer temple prefers?
The main reason I ask is because I have a Mac!

jiffbedgerson said:
Does anyone know what kind of computer temple prefers?
The main reason I ask is because I have a Mac!

Don't see alot of Macs around. See ya all soon. Congrats by the way. Any questions feel free to ask.

After I moved I misplaced a lot of my papers, and I know orientation is 08/25 right? When do our classes officially start? Is anyone else planning on doing the bare minimum to graduate? Is this a bad idea? :confused: I am really ready to party it up in dental school. :D

aceking said:
June 25th is the day that i can move in. U from Cali ??

Woodmere for me, too! Moving in in late July. See ya guys then. :thumbup:

SmileyTooth said:
After I moved I misplaced a lot of my papers, and I know orientation is 08/25 right? When do our classes officially start? Is anyone else planning on doing the bare minimum to graduate? Is this a bad idea? :confused: I am really ready to party it up in dental school. :D

Orientation is 8/25 and 8/26 and the first day of class is 8/29.

superman said:
Orientation is 8/25 and 8/26 and the first day of class is 8/29.

Your welcome party at Summit is after orientation on 8/25. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hi all. I actually like living in Roxborough. Its a quiet neighborhood and its convenient to get to a lot of places. For those of you looking to buy places, the property around here is getting up there. I know because my wife and I just bought a place and the houses were in the $225,000 range. Some condo I saw was going for $130,000. So renting is probably your best bet. Try craigslist.com for other places to live. Summit, Henry, Woodmere, and Valley High are all great places to live. If you choose to live at Henry, where I'm at now, let me know and my friend will split the referral bonus with you. If you want another option in Roxborough, my wife and I are going to rent out a 2 bedroom apartment. PM me if you have any other questions.

luau26 said:
Hi all. I actually like living in Roxborough. Its a quiet neighborhood and its convenient to get to a lot of places. For those of you looking to buy places, the property around here is getting up there. I know because my wife and I just bought a place and the houses were in the $225,000 range. Some condo I saw was going for $130,000. So renting is probably your best bet. Try craigslist.com for other places to live. Summit, Henry, Woodmere, and Valley High are all great places to live. If you choose to live at Henry, where I'm at now, let me know and my friend will split the referral bonus with you. If you want another option in Roxborough, my wife and I are going to rent out a 2 bedroom apartment. PM me if you have any other questions.

Luau,
My wife and I bought a place in Roxborough two years ago, I'm from So Cal originally, and my wife is Hawaiian. Were we separated at birth? Anyways congrats and let me know if you have any questions. Definitely exciting times for you Freshman.

DBrasco778 said:
I put my deposit down on an apartment in manayunk and was thinking of just taking public transportation instead of taking a car. what trains will I need to take to get to the school?

I was just there a few weeks ago checking out the train situation and was really disappointed. Correct me if I am wrong but there are two separate trains by septa. There is the above ground train (don't know what you call that) that goes to center city and travels out to the surrounding areas (very good if you work in center city and live in the surroundings) and there is a subway that runs up and down Broad St. The problem is that these two don't really connect. I found out if you live in Manayunk and want to get to Temple, we would have to either take the train, two buses and the subway or take the train all the way to Center City, walk a few city blocks to catch the Broad St. subway. The train station at Ivy Ridge, Wissahickon and Manayunk are the above ground trains. After finding this out, I decided it would be better to drive to Temple. If you want to go to Center city, the above ground train is good. I also found out that many of the people who I talked to do not rely on the PT (public transportation) in Philadelphia--lots of people drive--this is a big change for me coming from Chicago where everyone uses the L.

OH, I forgot to ask, do we need a labtop for classes (or anything else) at Temple? Is there anything I will need to bring that will make my life a little easier? Also, can you guys give some "survival tips" or other advice about Temple? Thanks for all the help!

redhead said:
OH, I forgot to ask, do we need a labtop for classes (or anything else) at Temple? Is there anything I will need to bring that will make my life a little easier? Also, can you guys give some "survival tips" or other advice about Temple? Thanks for all the help!

a laptop is definitely not necessary, but for some classes such as Histology, some people find it nice to be able to look at the slides during lecture/lab......but many people in my class dont have a laptop....

however, with the school being wireless, its very nice to have the ability to play texas holdem during lecture :p

As for other advice, you gotta ask specific questions.....

any freshman moving ahead of time? i will be moving to Woodmere end of this month to set up the place and get ready for school

aceking said:
any freshman moving ahead of time? i will be moving to Woodmere end of this month to set up the place and get ready for school

if you are moving into woodmere at the end of this month, I would suggest going across the street to Summitt Park to hang out at the pool and their clubhouse....you:ll meet a ton of current Temple students there and it will be a great way to meet new friends!!!

Wow, $288 for parking just for the fall semester.

Where are we supposed to meet on the 25th? First floor dental building?

And when are my parents gonna get stuck with the toyota avalon sized bill?

I was wondering the same thing....does anyone know when we get our first bill for school? And when do they issue the refund checks? I need to do some shopping....