Temple College of Science and Technology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolahola

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who interviewed for the CST postbac programs provide advice/ information about what the program is like?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just interviewed for the BCHS track on 4/5. the semester for this track starts in may 14th and orientation is may 8th. we got a chance to speak to current students from both tracks and they seem to love it. it’s INTENSE but very doable. i got the vibe that the administration really care about you doing well in the program and getting into professional school. you could feel the passion from all of them when speaking to them. they stressed the importance of really buckling down and focusing since you’re taking about 4 science classes (including their respective labs) a semester so there’s no time to play around. the students were all happy to be in the program and despite how difficult it is, they had nothing but good things to say about it. should i get an acceptance offer (i’ll know this week) i will DEFINITELY be going!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I just interviewed for the BCHS track on 4/5. the semester for this track starts in may 14th and orientation is may 8th. we got a chance to speak to current students from both tracks and they seem to love it. it’s INTENSE but very doable. i got the vibe that the administration really care about you doing well in the program and getting into professional school. you could feel the passion from all of them when speaking to them. they stressed the importance of really buckling down and focusing since you’re taking about 4 science classes (including their respective labs) a semester so there’s no time to play around. the students were all happy to be in the program and despite how difficult it is, they had nothing but good things to say about it. should i get an acceptance offer (i’ll know this week) i will DEFINITELY be going!

Hey thanks for the info! Did any of the current students talk about linkages/ what they are doing after completing the program this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
we only spoke to a handful of students and they’ve all decided not to link. they’re applying this june. I just got accepted and definitely plan to link

we only spoke to a handful of students and they’ve all decided not to link. they’re applying this june. I just got accepted and definitely plan to link

Congrats!! I wonder why they all decided not to link seems odd

@married2medicine hey was wondering if you knew how large the Temple CST class is? Also, when did you submit your app? Thanks!

@married2medicine hey was wondering if you knew how large the Temple CST class is? Also, when did you submit your app? Thanks!

Hey,

From what I know the ACHS program last year was ~39 students, they said it'd be around 40 this year. The BCHS program is ~19, not sure if that will increase.

Hope that helps.

@spnewera do you know when interviews started approx of the ACHS program and how many seats have already been filled? Thanks!

@spnewera do you know when interviews started approx of the ACHS program and how many seats have already been filled? Thanks!

I had an interview last Thursday. They said they usually do an interview every Tuesday and Thursday. Not sure when ACHS started but there were only like 5 ACHS people in my interview day. But I believe my day was the last or one of the last BCHS interview days. So considering the deadline for BCHS applications was in March and they interviewed in April I think ACHS will interview till after the June 1 deadline

I had an interview last Thursday. They said they usually do an interview every Tuesday and Thursday. Not sure when ACHS started but there were only like 5 ACHS people in my interview day. But I believe my day was the last or one of the last BCHS interview days. So considering the deadline for BCHS applications was in March and they interviewed in April I think ACHS will interview till after the June 1 deadline

Thanks for the reply! When did you submit your app?

Thanks for the reply! When did you submit your app?

Glad to see your question got answered. From what I think, they're still reviewing applications and interview invites are probably still getting sent out. I interviewed for the ACHS program on 4/5. If I had to guess, there was about 10 ACHS students there, and the rest were BCHS.

Goodluck!

I interviewed 4/5 and was accepted 4/11. you’ll know about 7 days after your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I Interviewed for ACHS 4/26 and was accepted 5/1, committed as well!

Hey, can anyone speak to the strength of the linkages? Already posted this question in the ACMS page but then realized this one existed so thought I'd bring it over here. I would love to link to one of their supposed linkage programs but have a DO acceptance already, so if it's kind of sketchy, will probably not be able to commit to this program.

Hey, can anyone speak to the strength of the linkages? Already posted this question in the ACMS page but then realized this one existed so thought I'd bring it over here. I would love to link to one of their supposed linkage programs but have a DO acceptance already, so if it's kind of sketchy, will probably not be able to commit to this program.

The linkage isn't as strong as ACMS to Temple's LKSOM, and to be honest, it's looking pretty rough if you want to do a direct linkage to there or George Washington School of Medicine. Someone else in the ACMS thread noted you needed a 3.5 uGPA before even linking (even though it seems their GPA for LKSOM says 3.3 on their website), maybe it's different every year, depending on what LKSOM wants.

If you were looking for a direct linkage, then you'd need to get into ACMS. You should also look into Tulane's ACP program, as I know that school requires a waitlist for their requirements.

Overall, this program is like a traditional post-bacc (speaking about ACHS). You take the 1st semester of medical school, and use the 2nd semester to focus on the MCAT and finish up your coursework. I feel that if you do well in the program, there is a ton of support to help you succeed for your application cycle.

With your acceptance in hand, honestly factor in if it's worth the extra 2 years for re-applying, plus blacklisting yourself for turning down an acceptance. Most people will tell you to go with your acceptance and run with it, but that's up to you to decide. Every situation is different, and you should find the deficiencies you have to see if you can use this program to stretch to an MD acceptance (if that's what you're looking for).

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
The linkage isn't as strong as ACMS to Temple's LKSOM, and to be honest, it's looking pretty rough if you want to do a direct linkage to there or George Washington School of Medicine. Someone else in the ACMS thread noted you needed a 3.5 uGPA before even linking (even though it seems their GPA for LKSOM says 3.3 on their website), maybe it's different every year, depending on what LKSOM wants.

If you were looking for a direct linkage, then you'd need to get into ACMS. You should also look into Tulane's ACP program, as I know that school requires a waitlist for their requirements.

Overall, this program is like a traditional post-bacc (speaking about ACHS). You take the 1st semester of medical school, and use the 2nd semester to focus on the MCAT and finish up your coursework. I feel that if you do well in the program, there is a ton of support to help you succeed for your application cycle.

With your acceptance in hand, honestly factor in if it's worth the extra 2 years for re-applying, plus blacklisting yourself for turning down an acceptance. Most people will tell you to go with your acceptance and run with it, but that's up to you to decide. Every situation is different, and you should find the deficiencies you have to see if you can use this program to stretch to an MD acceptance (if that's what you're looking for).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. Was this discussed at inter day, or like by students currently in the CST post bacc?

It does seem like the temple early decision application the following year is a pretty legit option. I'm definitely still interested in the program1 Thanks again for the response.

Thanks for the info. Was this discussed at inter day, or like by students currently in the CST post bacc?

It does seem like the temple early decision application the following year is a pretty legit option. I'm definitely still interested in the program1 Thanks again for the response.

Most of the info was just from my research from looking at its website. However, on interview day they really stressed the importance of focusing on school because they said it was going to be a rough year. Upon talking to some of the students there currently, they did say that 1st semester was hard- as it should be, since it is taught by the same faculty who teach at LKSOM and is basically the same coursework.

Early decision is a good choice too! Just be aware that you can't apply anywhere else until you get a decision back :( and by then you'll be late on the timeline for applying to other schools.

If you commit, see you there!

Most of the info was just from my research from looking at its website. However, on interview day they really stressed the importance of focusing on school because they said it was going to be a rough year. Upon talking to some of the students there currently, they did say that 1st semester was hard- as it should be, since it is taught by the same faculty who teach at LKSOM and is basically the same coursework.

Early decision is a good choice too! Just be aware that you can't apply anywhere else until you get a decision back :( and by then you'll be late on the timeline for applying to other schools.

If you commit, see you there!

One last question if thats cool.. are the interviews one on one or in a group?

I am a little confused whether the advanced track has conditional acceptance into temple med, or if that is only reserved for the basic track students. I think it is unclear on the website, does anyone know for SURE ACMS is conditional to temple med?

I am a little confused whether the advanced track has conditional acceptance into temple med, or if that is only reserved for the basic track students. I think it is unclear on the website, does anyone know for SURE ACMS is conditional to temple med?

ACMS requires a 3.6 in their program and a 509 on the MCAT. This is with the Lewis Katz School of Medicine.

ACHS is with the Temple's undergrad (CST) and the requirements change every year. Linkage is contingent on your GPA BEFORE coming into the program. LKSOM determines what they want the criteria to be. Last year (not 100% sure, take it as you will), LKSOM said they wanted a 3.5 uGPA/sGPA BEFORE coming into the program to be considered for linkage. The website is not clear because there are not static requirements- therefore, it depends on what LKSOM decides for the ACHS students when in the program.

It is quite confusing, yes, but it'd be hard to let both ACMS and ACHS students in.

I think I applied for the wrong program then, can I still submit to ACMS? I currently have an interview for ACHS.

That's fine, ACMS is highly competitive (2000+ applications for 40ish seats), so try your luck. You never know what may come of it.

Anyone currently in the program more familiar with the linkages?

I will provide some insight into the ACHS Linkages for anyone planning to apply in the future, so there is less confusion.

Main Linkages Requirements for 2018:
PCOM: sGPA of 3.25+ in Post-bac Program and a MCAT score above 50% percentile
SUNY Downstate: 3.3 sGPA minimum in undergrad, 3.5+ GPA in Post-Bac, Minimum MCAT score of 509 with minimum subscores ranging (126-128 depending on section)
Temple Katz School of Medicine: undegrad GPA of 3.3+, SAT score of 1350, 3.7+ GPA in Post-Bac, no more than one MCAT with a minimum score of 508
Temple School of Podiatric Medicine: undergrad GPA of 3.0+, Post-Bacc GPA of 3.2+ and an MCAT that is in the top 50th percentile of participants for the exam date submitted

I will provide some insight into the ACHS Linkages for anyone planning to apply in the future, so there is less confusion.

SUNY Downstate: 3.3 sGPA minimum in undergrad, 3.5+ GPA in Post-Bac, Minimum MCAT score of 509 with minimum subscores ranging (126-128 depending on section)
Temple Katz School of Medicine: undegrad GPA of 3.3+, SAT score of 1350, 3.7+ GPA in Post-Bac, no more than one MCAT with a minimum score of 508
Temple School of Podiatric Medicine: undergrad GPA of 3.0+, Post-Bacc GPA of 3.2+ and an MCAT that is in the top 50th percentile of participants for the exam date submitted
Are you currently in the program? If so, do you seeing a lot of people linking?

What is required of the current ACHS students to qualify for an early decision interview at Temple's Lewis Katz school of medicine during the next admissions cycle?

If I am not mistaken then that's another form of linkage (i.e an early decision interview) that ACHS students could qualify for if they have low undergraduate GPAs coming into the ACHS program.

ACMS requires a 3.6 in their program and a 509 on the MCAT. This is with the Lewis Katz School of Medicine.

ACHS is with the Temple's undergrad (CST) and the requirements change every year. Linkage is contingent on your GPA BEFORE coming into the program. LKSOM determines what they want the criteria to be. Last year (not 100% sure, take it as you will), LKSOM said they wanted a 3.5 uGPA/sGPA BEFORE coming into the program to be considered for linkage. The website is not clear because there are not static requirements- therefore, it depends on what LKSOM decides for the ACHS students when in the program.

It is quite confusing, yes, but it'd be hard to let both ACMS and ACHS students in.

What is required of the current ACHS students to qualify for an early decision interview at Temple's Lewis Katz school of medicine during the next admissions cycle?

If I am not mistaken then that's another form of linkage (i.e an early decision interview) that ACHS students could qualify for if they have low undergraduate GPAs coming into the ACHS program.

If you get a 3.8+ in the program, you are guaranteed an early decision interview.
If you have at least a 3.3 ugpa/sgpa and then a 3.8+ in the program, I think you can go for the linkage with Lewis Katz. The requirements change every year though, as those were the requirements this year.

If you get a 3.8+ in the program, you are guaranteed an early decision interview.
If you have at least a 3.3 ugpa/sgpa and then a 3.8+ in the program, I think you can go for the linkage with Lewis Katz. The requirements change every year though, as those were the requirements this year.

Thank you so much for your response! Having been through the ACHS program over the past year, could you please comment on your experience? Did you like the program and do you think it helped you achieve your goals? How difficult are the classes? How feasible is it to get a 3.8+ GPA in the program? Is there anything else that applicants to the program should know before they enroll? Thanks again for your time!

Thank you so much for your response! Having been through the ACHS program over the past year, could you please comment on your experience? Did you like the program and do you think it helped you achieve your goals? How difficult are the classes? How feasible is it to get a 3.8+ GPA in the program? Is there anything else that applicants to the program should know before they enroll? Thanks again for your time!

Hey, if you actually scroll up a bit or look on the last page, I typed out my response to this there. I think it should apply to most of your questions here. If you have any other specific questions, let me know.

Actually sorry, my response is in the 2019-2020 thread here.

Hey, if you actually scroll up a bit or look on the last page, I typed out my response to this there. I think it should apply to most of your questions here. If you have any other specific questions, let me know.

Actually sorry, my response is in the 2019-2020 thread here.

So I have graduated from Penn State with a cGPA of 3.3 and a sGPA of 3.0. I was offered an interview for Temple ACHS program this upcoming Thursday and I am deciding to go for the interview. If admitted and if I am able to maintain a good GPA in their post-bacc program, does this mean that I will not be offered linkage at all?

So I have graduated from Penn State with a cGPA of 3.3 and a sGPA of 3.0. I was offered an interview for Temple ACHS program this upcoming Thursday and I am deciding to go for the interview. If admitted and if I am able to maintain a good GPA in their post-bacc program, does this mean that I will not be offered linkage at all?

You should ask them on your interview date and please share what you learn here. I'm in the same boat, but planning to apply next year. I think (not 100% sure) that you won't make the direct linkage with Temple's own med school. You might be able to make the direct linkage with PCOM because it has lower uGPA requirements. And if you get a 3.8 GPA in the post-bacc program then you might qualify for an early decision interview at Temple's med school next year (meaning, you'll have a gap year after your post-bacc).

You should ask them on your interview date and please share what you learn here. I'm in the same boat, but planning to apply next year. I think (not 100% sure) that you won't make the direct linkage with Temple's own med school. You might be able to make the direct linkage with PCOM because it has lower uGPA requirements. And if you get a 3.8 GPA in the post-bacc program then you might qualify for an early decision interview at Temple's med school next year (meaning, you'll have a gap year after your post-bacc).

So I had my interview on Thursday of last week and I heard back today that I have been accepted into the ACHS program. There were a few students from the past cohort who came and spoke to us a little bit about linkage and basically what they had mentioned was that you hear back about whether you can link or not sometime in September or October I think by your advisor.

If you plan not link, you basically have to take a week or two in October/November to rush your application to the school that you plan to link with and these two students just took their MCAT either in May or early June and are currently waiting on their scores so that they can send them in.

With linkage, because you can only link with one school, its kind of like putting all of your eggs in one basket.

I think with the medical school that you plan to link with, they basically push your application to the top of the stack because Temple ACHS students kind of take priority over other applicants due to linkage. They mentioned that the criteria for linkage changes every year so they were not able to tell us what the criteria for this Fall's incoming class would be.

When I interviewed, they also mentioned that it was really good that I have not yet taken the MCAT (I guess because the program helps to prepare you for the exam), and I'm registered to take it on June 29th. I'm thinking of whether I should still take my MCAT or not.

I do plan to accept the Temple ACHS offer though.

So I had my interview on Thursday of last week and I heard back today that I have been accepted into the ACHS program. There were a few students from the past cohort who came and spoke to us a little bit about linkage and basically what they had mentioned was that you hear back about whether you can link or not sometime in September or October I think by your advisor.

If you plan not link, you basically have to take a week or two in October/November to rush your application to the school that you plan to link with and these two students just took their MCAT either in May or early June and are currently waiting on their scores so that they can send them in.

With linkage, because you can only link with one school, its kind of like putting all of your eggs in one basket.

I think with the medical school that you plan to link with, they basically push your application to the top of the stack because Temple ACHS students kind of take priority over other applicants due to linkage. They mentioned that the criteria for linkage changes every year so they were not able to tell us what the criteria for this Fall's incoming class would be.

When I interviewed, they also mentioned that it was really good that I have not yet taken the MCAT (I guess because the program helps to prepare you for the exam), and I'm registered to take it on June 29th. I'm thinking of whether I should still take my MCAT or not.

I do plan to accept the Temple ACHS offer though.

Hey Actually we did the interview on the same day lool. I also received acceptance Yesterday and plan to accept the offer. I hope to see you in this Fall

Did you all choose to apply to Temple solely because of their linkages? What about the program is so great besides that? I did some research but I didn't find too much about the program other than the curriculum.

Please can someone who has done the program speak on if it was helpful in the broad application process. I noticed not all of the classes counted towards the sGPA so I really want to make sure doing this program is worth it. Do Adcoms view this program as rigorous?

Where does it say not all classes are counted towards the sGPA?

Hi. I read your post and wanted to reach out to you regarding temple's postbac. I just got an interview scheduled for Feb 20th, 2020. I have read good reviews about the program and am really interested in attending this one because there are not a lot of postbac programs designed solely for pre-dental students. Do you mind sharing with me the pros, cons, safe areas to reside in, tuition, etc information and about the intensity of the program.. I am a bit scared of taking 3 science classes in one semester, is that doable?