1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Temple College of Science and Technology

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by lolahola, Apr 4, 2018.

1. lolahola

Pre-Medical
    Can anyone who interviewed for the CST postbac programs provide advice/ information about what the program is like?

#1 lolahola, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. married2medicine

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just interviewed for the BCHS track on 4/5. the semester for this track starts in may 14th and orientation is may 8th. we got a chance to speak to current students from both tracks and they seem to love it. it’s INTENSE but very doable. i got the vibe that the administration really care about you doing well in the program and getting into professional school. you could feel the passion from all of them when speaking to them. they stressed the importance of really buckling down and focusing since you’re taking about 4 science classes (including their respective labs) a semester so there’s no time to play around. the students were all happy to be in the program and despite how difficult it is, they had nothing but good things to say about it. should i get an acceptance offer (i’ll know this week) i will DEFINITELY be going!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

lolahola likes this.
  4. lolahola

Pre-Medical
    Hey thanks for the info! Did any of the current students talk about linkages/ what they are doing after completing the program this year?

5. married2medicine

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    we only spoke to a handful of students and they’ve all decided not to link. they’re applying this june. I just got accepted and definitely plan to link

6. lolahola

Pre-Medical
    Congrats!! I wonder why they all decided not to link seems odd

7. neuro1122

@married2medicine hey was wondering if you knew how large the Temple CST class is? Also, when did you submit your app? Thanks!

8. spnewera

2+ Year Member

Hey,

From what I know the ACHS program last year was ~39 students, they said it'd be around 40 this year. The BCHS program is ~19, not sure if that will increase.

Hope that helps.

9. neuro1122

@spnewera do you know when interviews started approx of the ACHS program and how many seats have already been filled? Thanks!

10. lolahola

Pre-Medical

I had an interview last Thursday. They said they usually do an interview every Tuesday and Thursday. Not sure when ACHS started but there were only like 5 ACHS people in my interview day. But I believe my day was the last or one of the last BCHS interview days. So considering the deadline for BCHS applications was in March and they interviewed in April I think ACHS will interview till after the June 1 deadline

11. neuro1122

Thanks for the reply! When did you submit your app?

12. spnewera

2+ Year Member

Glad to see your question got answered. From what I think, they're still reviewing applications and interview invites are probably still getting sent out. I interviewed for the ACHS program on 4/5. If I had to guess, there was about 10 ACHS students there, and the rest were BCHS.

Goodluck!

13. married2medicine

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I interviewed 4/5 and was accepted 4/11. you’ll know about 7 days after your interview.

14. sleeplessinct

Pre-Medical
    anyone committed to ACHS yet?

Ladm8 likes this.
  15. Ladm8

Pre-Dental
    I Interviewed for ACHS 4/26 and was accepted 5/1, committed as well!

sleeplessinct likes this.
  16. workaholic181

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey, can anyone speak to the strength of the linkages? Already posted this question in the ACMS page but then realized this one existed so thought I'd bring it over here. I would love to link to one of their supposed linkage programs but have a DO acceptance already, so if it's kind of sketchy, will probably not be able to commit to this program.

17. spnewera

2+ Year Member

The linkage isn't as strong as ACMS to Temple's LKSOM, and to be honest, it's looking pretty rough if you want to do a direct linkage to there or George Washington School of Medicine. Someone else in the ACMS thread noted you needed a 3.5 uGPA before even linking (even though it seems their GPA for LKSOM says 3.3 on their website), maybe it's different every year, depending on what LKSOM wants.

If you were looking for a direct linkage, then you'd need to get into ACMS. You should also look into Tulane's ACP program, as I know that school requires a waitlist for their requirements.

Overall, this program is like a traditional post-bacc (speaking about ACHS). You take the 1st semester of medical school, and use the 2nd semester to focus on the MCAT and finish up your coursework. I feel that if you do well in the program, there is a ton of support to help you succeed for your application cycle.

With your acceptance in hand, honestly factor in if it's worth the extra 2 years for re-applying, plus blacklisting yourself for turning down an acceptance. Most people will tell you to go with your acceptance and run with it, but that's up to you to decide. Every situation is different, and you should find the deficiencies you have to see if you can use this program to stretch to an MD acceptance (if that's what you're looking for).

Hope that helps.

workaholic181 and Wokemon like this.
  18. workaholic181

Thanks for the info. Was this discussed at inter day, or like by students currently in the CST post bacc?

It does seem like the temple early decision application the following year is a pretty legit option. I'm definitely still interested in the program1 Thanks again for the response.

19. spnewera

2+ Year Member

Most of the info was just from my research from looking at its website. However, on interview day they really stressed the importance of focusing on school because they said it was going to be a rough year. Upon talking to some of the students there currently, they did say that 1st semester was hard- as it should be, since it is taught by the same faculty who teach at LKSOM and is basically the same coursework.

Early decision is a good choice too! Just be aware that you can't apply anywhere else until you get a decision back :( and by then you'll be late on the timeline for applying to other schools.

If you commit, see you there!

workaholic181 likes this.
  20. workaholic181

One last question if thats cool.. are the interviews one on one or in a group?

21. Ladm8

Pre-Dental
    I had both individual and group interviews

workaholic181 likes this.
  22. americandream123

Pre-Medical
    I am a little confused whether the advanced track has conditional acceptance into temple med, or if that is only reserved for the basic track students. I think it is unclear on the website, does anyone know for SURE ACMS is conditional to temple med?

23. spnewera

2+ Year Member

ACMS requires a 3.6 in their program and a 509 on the MCAT. This is with the Lewis Katz School of Medicine.

ACHS is with the Temple's undergrad (CST) and the requirements change every year. Linkage is contingent on your GPA BEFORE coming into the program. LKSOM determines what they want the criteria to be. Last year (not 100% sure, take it as you will), LKSOM said they wanted a 3.5 uGPA/sGPA BEFORE coming into the program to be considered for linkage. The website is not clear because there are not static requirements- therefore, it depends on what LKSOM decides for the ACHS students when in the program.

It is quite confusing, yes, but it'd be hard to let both ACMS and ACHS students in.

24. americandream123

Pre-Medical
    I think I applied for the wrong program then, can I still submit to ACMS? I currently have an interview for ACHS.

25. spnewera

2+ Year Member

That's fine, ACMS is highly competitive (2000+ applications for 40ish seats), so try your luck. You never know what may come of it.

26. blaster701

Anyone currently in the program more familiar with the linkages?