Temple (OOS) vs. UDM vs. UMD (OOS) vs. UK (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrneatteeth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of clinical experience, out of Temple, Maryland, Detroit-Mercy, and University of Kentucky which would be at the top and what makes them special? Do they schedule their own patients? Place implants? Have their own chair? Each schools individual requirements?

If current dental students could answer or share their experiences that would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, they all are good in terms of clinical education. However, I know that Detroit is very expensive and I'm not sure about the rest but I would def. consider the price when I choose between schools. I would get a paper and pen and make a pros and cons list and see how much I'm going to be paying at each school and also see which city I liked that most. Also, I would see would be closer to home and if they are not close to home I would see how much the flights would be on average for each school and compare between each school.
Good luck to you!! I know its a very hard decision. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Temple is known for its clinical excellence. If you are looking at clinical experience only, Temple is definitely the way to go. I would say UK is a close second. Both schools will allow you to place implants, which is something that is quite rare.

This is what I have gathered from students/other pre-dents though. I am not a student at either one yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I do plan on attending UK though, so we could be classmates :)

Temple is known for its clinical excellence. If you are looking at clinical experience only, Temple is definitely the way to go. I would say UK is a close second. Both schools will allow you to place implants, which is something that is quite rare.

This is what I have gathered from students/other pre-dents though. I am not a student at either one yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I do plan on attending UK though, so we could be classmates :)

I learned that Temple actually only allows students to restore but not to physically place implants. Other detail is Kentucky’s utilization and focus of digital dentistry so I’m not sure Temples clinical excellence tops Kentucky. I think Temples patient pool is larger however.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I learned that Temple actually only allows students to restore but not to physically place implants. Other detail is Kentucky’s utilization and focus of digital dentistry so I’m not sure Temples clinical excellence tops Kentucky. I think Temples patient pool is larger however.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For sure. It's a hard decision. Also, UK allows you to see patients starting D2, which is really early since most schools let their students start D3. In regards to the patient pool though, remember that Temple has more than twice the number of students UK has. So a patient pool twice as large is not that big a deal imo. Good luck!

For sure. It's a hard decision. Also, UK allows you to see patients starting D2, which is really early since most schools let their students start D3. In regards to the patient pool though, remember that Temple has more than twice the number of students UK has. So a patient pool twice as large is not that big a deal imo. Good luck!
UK has a very strong clinical experience. UK allows D1s to start working on patients (kids) doing cleanings.

Reactions: 1 user