Temple Post-Bacc ACMS 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess it's time to move on if I haven't heard anything...?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know anything about the continuing cohorts list? Is there typically movement on the list at this point or is it a lost cause?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I have a couple questions about Temple ACMS I was hoping someone who already interviewed wouldnt mind answering;

1) Are the courses medical school courses? Or are they just like special science courses to prepare for first year med school?

2) If they are medical school courses, do you need to retake them as an MS1?

3) Do most people usually maintain the 3.6 and matriculate into Temple MD?

4) Can you do research either during the school year or in the summer after?

Interviewing for this program soon but already have DO acceptances so really curious. Thanks to any answerers.
When did you get an interview invite if you don't mind me asking?

Hey I have a couple questions about Temple ACMS I was hoping someone who already interviewed wouldnt mind answering;

1) Are the courses medical school courses? Or are they just like special science courses to prepare for first year med school?

2) If they are medical school courses, do you need to retake them as an MS1?

3) Do most people usually maintain the 3.6 and matriculate into Temple MD?

4) Can you do research either during the school year or in the summer after?

Interviewing for this program soon but already have DO acceptances so really curious. Thanks to any answerers.

Not sure whether you already interviewed and had a chance to ask your questions, but in case you haven't:

1. No, they are not MS1 courses, they're specifically designed and taught for post-bacs
2. Since the courses are not the same, you take the same M1 curriculum as everyone else, though I've heard taking Anatomy in the Spring semester as a postbac gives you a big leg up once you start M1
3. Yep, especially if you have the required MCAT score coming in
4. Doing research doing the school year probably won't be feasible - you'll want to focus your attention on getting the GPA and MCAT if necessary. But summer is free game - you can do whatever you want between the postbac year and starting M1.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi accepted folks/people who got interviews, would you mind sharing stats and if you aren't comfortable with stats then LizzyM scores? Would be immensely helpful because I'm trying to gauge if I have a good shot at this program.

If we got rejected, as we allowed to re-apply? Also, can we call and ask them how to improve if we re-apply? Do you know what they think about re-applicatants? thank you

If you're still waiting to hear something take a look at your TU Portal. Didn't receive an email or any type of correspondence, but my account showed admitted when I checked it today. Interviewed 6/14 by the way. I'd assume final decisions will be sent out shortly.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're still waiting to hear something take a look at your TU Portal. Didn't receive an email or any type of correspondence, but my account showed admitted when I checked it today. Interviewed 6/14 by the way. I'd assume final decisions will be sent out shortly.

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted to the program earlier this week!!

My stats were 3.83 cGPA, 3.80 sGPA, 509 (128/126/128/127). I applied in January but didn't get an interview until 6/14. It's really hard to say what this program is looking for but it's definitely not just the MCAT and GPA. From my interview, a lot of people were telling me about a lot of interesting stuff they did so it seems like they like candidates that have varied backgrounds. And also, no I was not accepted into any medical school in the previous cycle which is why I applied to the post-bac in January.

Reactions: 1 user

My stats were 3.83 cGPA, 3.80 sGPA, 509 (128/126/128/127). I applied in January but didn't get an interview until 6/14. It's really hard to say what this program is looking for but it's definitely not just the MCAT and GPA. From my interview, a lot of people were telling me about a lot of interesting stuff they did so it seems like they like candidates that have varied backgrounds. And also, no I was not accepted into any medical school in the previous cycle which is why I applied to the post-bac in January.

Congrats!! What a relief it must have been for you after 6 months. Did they mention anything about any upcoming interviews ?

Congrats on getting in! If you wouldn't mind could you please share how long you have to accept your spot in the program? I'm just wondering if there will be waitlist movement in the next week or so. Thanks!

Congrats!! What a relief it must have been for you after 6 months. Did they mention anything about any upcoming interviews ?
From what I know and what it says on their website, I believe all interviews are done.

Congrats on getting in! If you wouldn't mind could you please share how long you have to accept your spot in the program? I'm just wondering if there will be waitlist movement in the next week or so. Thanks!
So you get 1 week to decide and I'm not too sure how the waitlist works for the program. Hope that helps.

Do you have any advice for people applying to this program? I have stats similar to yours and everyone's been saying that I should be able to get into a MD/DO school so just wondering. Thanks and good luck at Temple!

Hi all - I was also accepted last week (!!) and interviewed on 6/14. I was in a similar situation where I didn't have any acceptances by February and submitted this application early March

I had low undergrad GPA, high masters GPA, 513 mcat and pretty diverse background. I know the process can be so stressful and I'm happy to tell you more or try to help however I can if you message me!

Last edited:
what about re-applicants? I applied very late and was rejected. Wondering if I should just apply again earlier this time? Thank you

Do you have any advice for people applying to this program? I have stats similar to yours and everyone's been saying that I should be able to get into an MD/DO school so just wondering. Thanks and good luck at Temple!

You definitely have a good chance with medical schools and especially DOs more if you applied early. I made the huge mistake of applying in July for MDs and until DECEMBER to apply to DO schools. I ended up getting waitlisted everywhere I interviewed. I got 4 interviews and all waitlisted. And by the time I got accepted from the post-bac I was still on their waitlists. So the best advice I can give you is to apply as early as possible. Especially because many schools see the discrepancy between the MCAT score and GPA sometimes concerns them. The concern comes more from when they compare you to the applicant pool they have going, so if you're early they're more lenient with you versus later on in the cycle where they already have interviewed or seen a decent amount of applications.

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Overall GPA around 3.70, sGPA 3.94 and 510 MCAT. For those who are applying next year, it sure sounds like a fair number of people have been accepted from the 6/14 interview group. I would guess the school holds quite a few of their acceptances for applicants that had a less than stellar application cycle (but still high stats) and choose to apply to the ACMS program late in the year.

Overall GPA around 3.70, sGPA 3.94 and 510 MCAT. For those who are applying next year, it sure sounds like a fair number of people have been accepted from the 6/14 interview group. I would guess the school holds quite a few of their acceptances for applicants that had a less than stellar application cycle (but still high stats) and choose to apply to the ACMS program late in the year.

I'm so confused, I thought these type of SMPs are for people with low stats and otherwise good applications. Like isn't that the point of these classes? To prove academic ability? All these people with 3.8s and unsuccessful cycles I would think would benefit more from addressing other parts of their apps...

Or maybe I'm salty because my upward trend 3.3 GPA and 513 got rejected : (

I'm so confused, I thought these type of SMPs are for people with low stats and otherwise good applications. Like isn't that the point of these classes? To prove academic ability? All these people with 3.8s and unsuccessful cycles I would think would benefit more from addressing other parts of their apps...

Or maybe I'm salty because my upward trend 3.3 GPA and 513 got rejected : (
I think it's because of the guaranteed acceptance which is really appealing imo, especially for ppl with average stats who were rejected in previous cycles. And the program really has no choice but to pick the most competitive applicants. I personally never even received a rejection though lmao. I contacted them a few days ago and they said apps are still being reviewed.

Anyone on the waitlist hear back with updates yet?

Anyone on the waitlist hear back with updates yet?
Nah :( I was wondering if there were already 32 people in the facebook group, which would indicate there aren't any spots left in the class...?

I couldn't find the appropriate forum, so I apologize in advance but I'm thinking about applying for the following year and was wondering about the standardized test score requirements and course pre-req for ACMS.

For those who applied, was the GRE required or is just taking the MCAT sufficient? I'm not sure if I have to now study for both the GRE and the MCAT. And if I don't send in MCAT scores (though I probably will. I just haven't taken it yet), do I still need to send in a GRE score or is SAT/ACT scores sufficient?

If I plan on taking organic chemistry lab (it's a single and separate course from the Ochem I and II lectures at my university) in the spring, can I still apply to this program and just send my final transcript after I complete the semester. Or do I need to finish all my pre-requisite courses prior to applying?

I couldn't find the appropriate forum, so I apologize in advance but I'm thinking about applying for the following year and was wondering about the standardized test score requirements and course pre-req for ACMS.

For those who applied, was the GRE required or is just taking the MCAT sufficient? I'm not sure if I have to now study for both the GRE and the MCAT. And if I don't send in MCAT scores (though I probably will. I just haven't taken it yet), do I still need to send in a GRE score or is SAT/ACT scores sufficient?

If I plan on taking organic chemistry lab (it's a single and separate course from the Ochem I and II lectures at my university) in the spring, can I still apply to this program and just send my final transcript after I complete the semester. Or do I need to finish all my pre-requisite courses prior to applying?
If you have an MCAT score you don't need to upload sat or gre. Those are used mainly for people who haven't taken MCAT or have a score far below their cutoff to show they can do well on standardized tests. I took the gres but only sent my MCAT.

You can update your transcripts in the spring.

Does anyone know if this place is out of state friendly. From North East NJ near NYC area. Haven't taken the MCAT yet but cgpa is approx 3.2-3.3 sgpa is approx 3.0-3.1. Trend is weird had three semesters with a 2.7-2.6, three with a 3.0-3.1 and three 3.7-3.85.

Does anyone know if this place is out of state friendly. From North East NJ near NYC area. Haven't taken the MCAT yet but cgpa is approx 3.2-3.3 sgpa is approx 3.0-3.1. Trend is weird had three semesters with a 2.7-2.6, three with a 3.0-3.1 and three 3.7-3.85.

It is OOS friendly yes

THANk you!!! And Sure! 3.4 GPA and 486 MCAT - horrible hence the post bac.
I lived in Peru a few summers ago to shadow docs in clinics and hospitals and to learn Spanish, then I did a mission trip in Guatemala and this year I was in Haiti both about 2 weeks long. In school I shadow a neurosurgeon in the OR. & am in a lot of clubs. That’s about it on my end.
I would love to get some advice on how to apply or when to apply to the post bac for ACMS at Temple

Can anyone who was interviewed/accepted that also applied to their MD program that same cycle comment on whether their responses to the secondary questions remained the same in both applications? Or is it expected that you respond to the prompts differently?

for those in the program, would you say its possible to get a job while in the postbac?
Never enrolled as I did get accepted to med school; however, I think it states somewhere that you are not allowed to hold a job. But if it does not, then I will be the first to tell you that there is NO way that you will succeed with that course work while holding a job. You need to devote every all the time to it as possible, just like medical school.

for those in the program, would you say its possible to get a job while in the postbac?
One classmate of mine did work part time, but it was mostly on the weekends, maybe one shift a month or every 2 weeks. People in my med school class work part time and do fine.
However, there is a reason you need the postbac to get into medical school and it is essential you make sure you can succeed. You should only work if you absolutely need the money or if you feel like work is a stress reliever. Debt is debt and it sucks to have it pile up, but it'd be worse to have slightly less debt and fail the program.

Does the waitlist typically get any movement for acms?

Last edited:
Yes, there are years with some movement on the waitlist, but others without. Hopefully someone gets in the program gets off of a waitlist at another medical school and creates an opening for you guys. best of luck

Yes, there are years with some movement on the waitlist, but others without. Hopefully someone gets in the program gets off of a waitlist at another medical school and creates an opening for you guys. best of luck
Thanks! Any idea how many come off the list?