Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry Post-Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!

I don't understand how to apply to this program. The description on Temple's website saying: "Applicants who have applied to the Kornberg through AADSAS are eligible to be considered for this program" doesn't make sense either. How do I apply???

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

I don't understand how to apply to this program. The description on Temple's website saying: "Applicants who have applied to the Kornberg through AADSAS are eligible to be considered for this program" doesn't make sense either. How do I apply???
If you applied to Kornberg through AADSAS, then you just have to wait until they send you an email to apply to this program. They should send it in early March.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my application fee for the post bac..how long does it take for them to send out interviews?? I spoke to someone from admissions and said that they're interviewing between mid-March to the end of March. Also, how are the professors in the program? We should reapply this upcoming cycle for 2018?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my application fee for the post bac..how long does it take for them to send out interviews?? I spoke to someone from admissions and said that they're interviewing between mid-March to the end of March. Also, how are the professors in the program? We should reapply this upcoming cycle for 2018?
I am not sure when they are giving out interviews, but the first date is March 16, so it should be soon maybe in the next week when the first round of interviews come out.

Professors are great in the program. They are very approachable, and like half of them are professors from the dental school, so you get to meet them and get to know them so that if you do come to Temple dental, you will already know their teaching style and as a person. Office hours are welcoming and they respond to emails well.

Yes, you will need to apply for the upcoming cycle as well, so that as soon as you finish the program, you will begin dental school.

@SaeWat Are there a lot of students from OOS in the program?
Yes, I am not sure how many, but there are like almost no PA students (maybe 5 at max). Everyone is pretty much from all over the US.

The program is awesome! I would definitely recommend this program, if you are 100% committed to dentistry, because it is heavy in terms of learning about dentistry. The dental school has reserved seats for everyone in the post-bacc program so there is absolute no competition in the program. You need 3 requirements: 20AA on DAT, 3.5 science GPA, and professionalism. It does not say guaranteed if you meet these requirements, but it seems like it is pretty much an acceptance. There is a clinic portion to the program where you get to assist currently 3rd and 4th year dental students, so that is wonderful experience that you cannot get anywhere else.

Yes, we have to apply to 4 other schools as well as Temple dental that upcoming cycle. I got 2 interviews and got accepted to one of them, so I would say this program does definitely boost your confidence and chances/resume in getting into other dental schools.

@SaeWat how many schools did you apply to for 2017 if you don't mind me asking? Also, are you a Texas resident? I only asked because I heard Texas schools have a high preference towards Texas residents than OOS.

I applied to a lot like 15. Yes, I am a Texas resident. Yes, all 3 Texas schools are required to accept like 97% in state.

Last year, our orientation was like May 27-ish and started May 31 I believe.

@SaeWat. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!! :happy:

Hi, I applied for Post Bacc at Temple U on 03.01.17 and I have a few questions.

I see that your 2017 Temple cycle is pending til April according to your profile. Reading all the posts on this forum made me believe that if you have 3.5 GPA, 20+ DAT, and Professionalism will get you into the next cycle at Temple U Dental School.

If you don't mind me asking a few questions...

-How hard was it to maintain 3.5 during the program?

-Were there any international students in your class or previous class that you know of?

- Did you meet all these requirements and your acceptance is pending or are you missing one of requirements? (I know this question can be very sensitive, so you don't have to answer this if it makes you uncomfortable)

- Is it possible you can give me a brief stat of your classmates or this year's acceptance rate to 4year Temple dental school?

-When was the first wave of acceptance notice for this year?

Thank you again! I really appreciate your time and kindness!

Last edited:
How strict are they with the senior year total of 3.0?
If I was to get accepted to the program but didn't make this 3.0 cut, would they rescind my acceptance?

@SaeWat. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!! :happy:

Hi, I applied for Post Bacc at Temple U on 03.01.17 and I have a few questions.

I see that your 2017 Temple cycle is pending til April according to your profile. Reading all the posts on this forum made me believe that if you have 3.5 GPA, 20+ DAT, and Professionalism will get you into the next cycle at Temple U Dental School.

If you don't mind me asking a few questions...

-How hard was it to maintain 3.5 during the program?

-Were there any international students in your class or previous class that you know of?

- Did you meet all these requirements and your acceptance is pending or are you missing one of requirements? (I know this question can be very sensitive, so you don't have to answer this if it makes you uncomfortable)

- Is it possible you can give me a brief stat of your classmates or this year's acceptance rate to 4year Temple dental school?

-When was the first wave of acceptance notice for this year?

Thank you again! I really appreciate your time and kindness!
It is not very hard to maintain the 3.5. There are a couple of blow off classes that will even out with the 2-3 difficult classes (being microbiome, microbiome lab, and craniofacial bone biology). If you just work hard you will be able to maintain the 3.5. If you are retaking the DAT, it will be a lot harder though, because they had Kaplan courses scheduled every week during the summer semester as well as studying for DANB which is to get your dental assistant license.

There were no international students that I know of. Many of the students (majority) are OOS and not necessarily PA residents.

I don't know if everyone has met those requirements. There may be some that could not make the 3.5 or the 20AA DAT, so they are working hard this semester to get that requirement. Our acceptance is pending because we have to still undergo interviews (which are this week) and then finish the spring semester to maintain that 3.5.

We don't know our classmates undergrad stats necessarily, but mine are in my signature and I would assume everyone's elses is around that range too. But each interview day had like ~15 people max, with about 8 interview days? Not sure on the exact numbers.

I think the first wave was somewhere in this thread, I think when I posted my acceptance announcement, that was the first day.

No problem! Good luck to you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
How strict are they with the senior year total of 3.0?
If I was to get accepted to the program but didn't make this 3.0 cut, would they rescind my acceptance?
I don't really know, you would need to ask the adcoms on this one , sorry!

I don't really know, you would need to ask the adcoms on this one , sorry!
hello saewat! I've read all of your posts on this thread and I rly appreciate your kindness towards prospective students for this program. I was wondering if you know the acceptance rate into this program? I see that classs size was 40 last year and was wondering how many people applied and were rejected? Thank you!

hello saewat! I've read all of your posts on this thread and I rly appreciate your kindness towards prospective students for this program. I was wondering if you know the acceptance rate into this program? I see that classs size was 40 last year and was wondering how many people applied and were rejected? Thank you!
Hey there! This year there was 43 student accepted. I am not sure how many applied, but there were like ~15 people max with about 8 interview days (not 100% sure). So there's like 1/3 chance of acceptance if you get an interview. These are not the official numbers, so you will need to ask the adcoms, but there were like 13 people during my interview and 5 were accepted from my group.

BUT, this year there are currently 5 scheduled days for interviews, so less days for interviews, while means less people that are interviewing, so if you are invited for an interview, you will have good chances.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there! This year there was 43 student accepted. I am not sure how many applied, but there were like ~15 people max with about 8 interview days (not 100% sure). So there's like 1/3 chance of acceptance if you get an interview. These are not the official numbers, so you will need to ask the adcoms, but there were like 13 people during my interview and 5 were accepted from my group.

BUT, this year there are currently 5 scheduled days for interviews, so less days for interviews, while means less people that are interviewing, so if you are invited for an interview, you will have good chances.
Thank you so much! As for Tuition, I understand that we can borrow from Federal loans and whatnot, but can we utilize PLUS loan to cover all of 40k?

Thank you so much! As for Tuition, I understand that we can borrow from Federal loans and whatnot, but can we utilize PLUS loan to cover all of 40k?
So, since this is a non-degree earning program. FAFSA will only cover part of the program, the rest you will have to pay, or find a private loan. There is more information on the post-bacc official website: https://dentistry.temple.edu/pb
This is the only con to this program: the cost and the fact that we will need to find other ways for payment, but it is definitely worth the investment, in my opinion as you will be much more prepared for dental school by having a strong foundation of dental knowledge in which you can build upon as opposed to other D1's where they are just now starting to build their foundation. You will be able to explore more and appreciate dental school and not feel like you are getting thrown in the water for the first time.

where did you hear that there's going to be 5 scheduled interview days??

where did you hear that there's going to be 5 scheduled interview days??
We were given dates, because we will be giving the post-bacc interviewees tours on those 5 days. I might be your tour guide if you get an interview :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I just got notified that I'm invited for an interview for the post-bac program! I am pretty nervous, not gonna lie, especially for the manual dexterity test! Any tips or pointers for post-bac interview day? Is it awkward to do a video interview?
Thanks in advance!!

I also just got an interview invite. I heard the manual dexterity part is extremely easy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Hey guys! I just got notified that I'm invited for an interview for the post-bac program! I am pretty nervous, not gonna lie, especially for the manual dexterity test! Any tips or pointers for post-bac interview day? Is it awkward to do a video interview?
Thanks in advance!!
Oh, did they add the manual dexterity part? They didn't have that last year, but it should be the same as the regular dental school interview at Temple if it is, then it should be easy so don't worry! Just relax, if you want practice in front of a video camera cause that is how it is going to be. Just pretend you are making a vlog for Youtube about yourself and relax! Talk briefly about yourself not too long, because they have your app, why you want to be in this program, and talk about professionalism! Good luck!

Do you guys have the option to choose a date or are you given a fixed one?
Are they still giving out more interviews?

Do you guys have the option to choose a date or are you given a fixed one?
Are they still giving out more interviews?

I was given a choice of the 5 days; I have to call to schedule.

I got an interview invite today as well. How is video interview conducted? I am very nervous.
Also, where is everyone planning to stay for the interview date?

Good luck to everyone!! and Thank you @SaeWat for your previous answer!

Are they going in order?
I hope they only gave out interviews to applicants who sent in the fee on March 1

I got an interview invite today as well. How is video interview conducted? I am very nervous.

Video interview is basically youre in a room by yourself and you have 5-6 minutes (I forget how long) to show the adcoms who you are and why you want to be in this program. You will also have to answer an ethical question during that time, and this time they added the manual dexterity part. Don't be nervous! You are just talking to a video camera and not a real person haha, so you can infinitely practice for it at home.

I was going to stay at the Hampton Inn. No reason really it just looks nice and isn't real expensive.

Has anyone gotten through to schedule the interview? Either it rings for an eternity or I get a busy tone.

You gotta just let it ring. I finally got through after like 3 minutes of ringing, and then they said they were having access issues and I have to call back in an hour :(

You gotta just let it ring. I finally got through after like 3 minutes of ringing, and then they said they were having access issues and I have to call back in an hour :(

Ahhh okay, thanks for the info! Literally been calling over and over...I guess I'll be patient *sigh* lol

for those of you who got interview invites, can you share your stats and which dates were available for invite? I know I might be asking too much but maybe i'm just being desperate.
I applied 28th and haven't received invite yet.

Hi everyone,

I came across this posting while looking more into Temple's post-bacc after applying and joined SDN to contribute my two cents. Here's my brief profile for those of you who are asking.

Non-traditional student (age 33)
Completed undergrad in 2006
Science GPA: 3.02
Cumulative GPA: 3.3
DAT: 20 AA
Applied to post-bacc: 3/1/17
Received interview invite: 3/6/17

I know you all are working very hard to pursue your dreams and goals of becoming a dentist. Keep working hard, as I know I will. Good luck to you all. I hope those of you waiting to hear back for an interview get one! Also, thanks @SaeWat for all of your posts! Very helpful!

Hi everyone,

I came across this posting while looking more into Temple's post-bacc after applying and joined SDN to contribute my two cents. Here's my brief profile for those of you who are asking.

Non-traditional student (age 33)
Completed undergrad in 2006
Science GPA: 3.02
Cumulative GPA: 3.3
DAT: 20 AA
Applied to post-bacc: 3/1/17
Received interview invite: 3/6/17

I know you all are working very hard to pursue your dreams and goals of becoming a dentist. Keep working hard, as I know I will. Good luck to you all. I hope those of you waiting to hear back for an interview get one! Also, thanks @SaeWat for all of your posts! Very helpful!
My stats are nearly identical to this.

Received interview offer just now

Traditional
Science GPA: before fall 2016, 3.0 ish but definitely dropped to like a 2.9, last semester was brutal. I expect to bring it up again after spring semester but probably won't matter
Cumulative GPA: 3.2
DAT: 21 AA
Applied to post-bacc: 3/2/17
Received interview invite: 3/7/17

Received an interview offer around 4pm CST. Planning on calling in the morning! Applied on March 2nd as well.

I received an interview invite as well! I am going to schedule it tomorrow. I feel a bit nervous for the interview, though - especially the ethics question! There is also supposed to be a writing sample as well as the manual dexterity test. I believe the manual dexterity consists of putting pegs into holes, but I am not entirely sure what the purpose of that is. Does anybody know what the ethics question would entail?

Good luck to everyone by the way and congratulations to those who have received interview invites! :)

I received an interview invite as well! I am going to schedule it tomorrow. I feel a bit nervous for the interview, though - especially the ethics question! There is also supposed to be a writing sample as well as the manual dexterity test. I believe the manual dexterity consists of putting pegs into holes, but I am not entirely sure what the purpose of that is. Does anybody know what the ethics question would entail?

Good luck to everyone by the way and congratulations to those who have received interview invites! :)
Congrats! And that is correct, they do this manual dexterity to just give you something to do under pressure, it is a simple task though, so do not worry about it. As for the ethics question, there are multiple, but I am not allowed to discuss it, but it is a typical scenario and then you answer what would be the ethical thing to do, so don't stress out! You got this! Good luck!

Congrats! And that is correct, they do this manual dexterity to just give you something to do under pressure, it is a simple task though, so do not worry about it. As for the ethics question, there are multiple, but I am not allowed to discuss it, but it is a typical scenario and then you answer what would be the ethical thing to do, so don't stress out! You got this! Good luck!

Oh okay, that doesn't sound too bad! And the writing sample differs from everything mentioned?

Thank you for your contributions to this thread, by the way. You have been so helpful! :)

Oh okay, that doesn't sound too bad! And the writing sample differs from everything mentioned?

Thank you for your contributions to this thread, by the way. You have been so helpful! :)
Yes, writing sample is something you will write in the waiting room as you all take turns going into a separate room for your video interview. They didn't do writing part for us when we interviewed for post-bacc, but this is the structure when they interview for the dental school, so it should be similar.

No problem :) I'm here to de-stress you guys. I remember when I was in the same position as you guys last year and speaking with the former post-bacc students really helped, so I'm just giving back!

What's the schedule like during the three semesters?