Terrible 3rd year grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ValidUsername

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to ask such a mundane question, but I'm freaking out with my terrible performance third year so far. I saw the FAQ and related threads with match data and analysis but now I'm just more worried..

My school has a pass, high pass, honors system for clinical rotations. I have two "passes" and one "high pass."

I high passed surgery, passed peds and passed ob/gyn. Obviously I'll work to try to honors my remaining rotations, and I'm working on some things, but I doubt I'll ever make any honors for a number of reasons. I awkwardly annoy residents and generally act like I have Asperger's.

I have a basic science first author pub, go to a top 30ish university and scored 235 on Step 1. If that matters.

Do I need to start thinking backups or am I ok?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to ask such a mundane question, but I'm freaking out with my terrible performance third year so far. I saw the FAQ and related threads with match data and analysis but now I'm just more worried..

My school has a pass, high pass, honors system for clinical rotations. I have two "passes" and one "high pass."

I high passed surgery, passed peds and passed ob/gyn. Obviously I'll work to try to honors my remaining rotations, and I'm working on some things, but I doubt I'll ever make any honors for a number of reasons. I awkwardly annoy residents and generally act like I have Asperger's.

I have a basic science first author pub, go to a top 30ish university and scored 235 on Step 1. If that matters.

Do I need to start thinking backups or am I ok?

I'm not sure if you are just trolling...but obviously if you know you do the things bolded, just stop friggin doing it! You have more than half your rotations left, you still have your 4th year EM rotation(s), EM letters, potentially Step 2, and the interviews.

Learn to not act like Gary Busey some time before your EM rotations and before interviews and you'll be okay.

I'm not sure if you are just trolling...but obviously if you know you do the things bolded, just stop friggin doing it! You have more than half your rotations left, you still have your 4th year EM rotation(s), EM letters, potentially Step 2, and the interviews.

Learn to not act like Gary Busey some time before your EM rotations and before interviews and you'll be okay.

Definitely not trolling, but seriously am working on some personality flaws that I've had since elementary school. I'm the awkward/shy guy that annoys everyone wherever I am. Thanks for the comment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Concentrate on the remaining rotations, and charm the pants off everyone in your EM rotations during fourth year. I anticipate this will be very difficult to do with your self-described annoying personality.

I will also add that the ED patients will eat you alive if you don't keep your personality flaws in check. Have you rotated through EM yet?

I will say though probably more than any other field EM personalities matter. If you are as you describe try being the quiet hard working type. After rounds ask what else you can do. Volunteer for procedures etc. Dont talk too much and that should help. Personality matter a lot 3rd yr and since you know this isnt a strong point try to minimize this. Focus on work.

I will also add that the ED patients will eat you alive if you don't keep your personality flaws in check. Have you rotated through EM yet?

This is a real issue. EM tolerates gregarious jack-sses reasonably well, not so much with shy and awkward. A decent percentage of ED patients have secondary agendas and will be very aggressive in pursuing their goals. A drug-seeker isn't doing their job if they don't try and make you feel bad about not giving them narcotics. If you explode back at them, it never ends in your favor. A good borderline patient will constantly be trying to identify cracks in your personality to exploit and for some reason these patients always seem to have hospital administration on speed dial. And then there are the run-of-the-mill, tired patients in pain that are frustrated by the wait and the environment of the ED. Being able to empathize with someone that's already pissed off is a necessary skill.

If you don't feel like you can improve on your social interactions, EM will be an awful specialty for you. We're in a position where there is no one we can piss off without getting it thrown back at us many times over. You don't have to be super-smooth, but you do need a tough shell and have certain lines you never cross regardless of how angry you are.

A decent percentage of ED patients have secondary agendas and will be very aggressive in pursuing their goals. A drug-seeker isn't doing their job if they don't try and make you feel bad about not giving them narcotics. .... A good borderline patient will constantly be trying to identify cracks in your personality to exploit and for some reason these patients always seem to have hospital administration on speed dial.

You forgot the stoned/drunk/wannabe that has her daddy's high priced watchdawg (aka lawyer) on permanent retainer...... the paperwork on that one can be a nightmare.