Texas A&M Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thx Joepaultx. I know it's still early but I'm losing hope now. Start to think about Plan B lol. Anyway, I was just saying, I would not call them and ask about my rank since it's kind of embarrassing <I think>

Yea I know what you mean. Don't worry about not getting in the first go around. This is my third year to apply to pharmacy schools. During that time I got my GPA up a little and got my degree so I think that helped ALOT! Keep your head up and just apply again and again until you get in. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!! I'm happy for you. As far as I know by reading other thread, you got accepted into Texas Tech, right? Do you still do the interview at Texas A&M? :laugh:

I only received a call from TX Tech to turn in one of my immunizations but have yet to receive any official word of acceptance. Also, I would much prefer to attend A&M instead of Tech due to its close proximity to my hometown, amongst other reasons.

By the way, congratulations to those who have been accepted! Now go out and celebrate!

Does anyone know the best route for finding roommates through the College of Pharmacy?

What is the best way to search for apartments and homes in Kingsville?

Is it too early for this?? Just ready to get started!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance letter! I imagine it's a bit of a rush. I hope to see some of you in passing next year (although that's a bit unlikely)!

And congratulations on the invite Velvet! I know that you have been waiting for a while, so I'm pretty glad to hear that an invite came through for you. I hope it all goes according to plan.

Pgraves99, housing was covered quite a bit at length on Page 8. Syunfung and Talkingdonkey covered it quite a bit, so you should probably read those posts instead of trying to get a rehash of the subject again.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10657384&postcount=387
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10659084&postcount=390

--Garfield3d

Thanks for the advice, joepaultx. This is the first time I applied to pharmacy schools.

Just have a question, when the school calculated applicants' GPA, they used pre-requisite GPA, science - math GPA or cumulative GPA? For example, someone had a really high GPA on pre-requisite GPA, but an average GPA on upper level classes (Biochemistry), did it hurt that person's application?

I hate to post this but I'm just super excited!!! Dr. Robertson called me & offered me an invite to interview on March 24!!! I can't believe it!!!

YAY!!! I told you not to lose hope honey~ So happy for you! Knock'em dead!

Should I lose hope for the other schools I applied to in TX (UT, Tech, and UH) as well? Since Texas A&M is ranked the lowest (right? supposedly) among the ones I applied to. Does that mean I have no chance of getting into the other ones? I interviewed at Tech and I'm waiting for Houston.

First what are you basing "rank" on? US News and World Report? NAPLEX? Your own opinion? I wouldn't be posting on the A&M board saying they rank lowest without any context to how you are ranking them. Be aware there are some here that have A&M as their FIRST choice of schools. True A&M has not been around as long as the others but there are significant accomplishments being achieved by the school and students. The accomplishments are rather lengthy and I won't subject you to them as it may impact your "ranking" of the school.

But to answer your question, if you can't get into the "lowest" "ranked" school then start applying to truck driving school.

Last edited:
First what are you basing "rank" on? US News and World Report? NAPLEX? Your own opinion? I wouldn't be posting on the A&M board saying they rank lowest without any context to how you are ranking them. Be aware there are some here that have A&M as their FIRST choice of schools. True A&M has not been around as long as the others but there are significant accomplishments being achieved by the school and students. The accomplishments are rather lengthy and I won't subject you to them as it may impact your "ranking" of the school.

But to answer your question, if you can't get into the "lowest" "ranked" school then start applying to truck driving school.

Ouch. Perhaps he/she was just worried about not getting an invite/acceptance letter.

@WarpDinosaur

Be careful what you say. There are some of us who do not care about ranks of schools.

Last edited:
I just feel a bit offensive since A&M is my first choice...

Does anyone know the best route for finding roommates through the College of Pharmacy?

What is the best way to search for apartments and homes in Kingsville?

Is it too early for this?? Just ready to get started!

No time's too early. Some of the apartments go fast.
If you decide on Javelina Station, however, wait until your pre-orientation date. Last year, they gave us a "discounted" registration-fee or something. It's not much in the long run, but money is money ;D
I detailed a list last year in the other thread here:
Part 1: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9775217&postcount=659
Part 2: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9777654&postcount=665

@WarpDinosaur: I concur with TalkingDonkey on this one. And as the interview changed my view on choicing of schools, I also take a bit of offense to this one. I should clarify for you that if you're going by the more popular ones, they rank the accredited schools. No doubt, those rankings are a tad old, because we got accredited a few weeks into my semester. Just you wait. Though, given your name, I think you can wait that miniscule amount of time. It's not like we'll be getting any fossilized samples anytime soon.
Can't say the same for you.

To those who have been accepted: Congratulations!
To those who have been accepted and WILL come here: Hope to see y'all next semester! :D
To those who haven't received an acceptance letter yet: Note, I didn't say the D word. There's still hope, as Talkingdonkey detailed in the last page. Besides, the fact Velvet75 just got a late interview means that there may still be spots later. Keep your fingers crossed!
To talkingdonkey: :thumbup:

Last edited:

My feelings toward that post exactly. Couldn't have said it better. :thumbup:

BTW, CONGRATS Velvet75!!! I know you've been waiting and deserve an interview!! That happened to me too and I eventually got accepted!! Best of luck to you!!!

CONGRATS to all those accepted!!! I can't wait to meet you guys next year!

For those of you still waiting, again, hang in there! I got a phone call for acceptance! THERE IS STILL A POSSIBILITY!!! Best of luck!!!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody else got a call for an invitation for interview? i feel left out:(

To velvet and all others got interview invitation: congrats and I wish you guys luck :D

To myself: try to keep my hope up and stop thinking about the worst scenario... I keep reloading this page and checking my email every 2 minutes lol

BTW, CONGRATS Velvet75!!! I know you've been waiting and deserve an interview!! That happened to me too and I eventually got accepted!! Best of luck to you!!!

CONGRATS to all those accepted!!! I can't wait to meet you guys next year!

For those of you still waiting, again, hang in there! I got a phone call for acceptance! THERE IS STILL A POSSIBILITY!!! Best of luck!!!:thumbup:

I hope it's a possibility for me too. I really liked that school! Hope to be able to go there.

To velvet and all others got interview invitation: congrats and I wish you guys luck :D

To myself: try to keep my hope up and stop thinking about the worst scenario... I keep reloading this page and checking my email every 2 minutes lol

Take a deep breath and a walk or something. I'm sure they're catching up on some sleep at this hour... most of our offices are closed by 5...

And since I know some of the staff/faculty live in Corpus, they probably stop before then on Fridays ;p

Worrying won't change things. If the worst case scenario happens, try again. You never know. Stressing out will only make things worse for you.

(for the record, I only got accepted when I started applying for pharmacy school the second year in a row. I didn't get accepted the first time around. When I got accepted here, I got it on the first rounds (which caught me off guard, because I received the message on April 1st! lol).

... maybe I'm here by mistake... maybe it was a joke...

/sulk in corner

The numbers game when it comes to rankings can really make you lose perspective for what the real goal is: becoming a pharmacist. In the end, which school you went to will not really matter once you reach that end goal. You could go to the "best" school out there and still be a crummy pharmacist. You could say that about any profession. In the end, each and every pharm school is choosing students not only based on their potential, but also their potential for contributing to the school to make it better than what it was before. Those are my two cents.

Btw, I am going to give up my seat at A&M-Kingsville. I really enjoyed Kingsville's campus but I am going to head to Tech. I have my reasons for going to Tech, but I cannot say how hard it was to choose between the two after I interviewed at both. I have nothing but good things to say about Kingsville and they really pulled through for me when I felt down. Anyone who gets an offer from Kingsville should be grateful since I know whoever will go there will be surrounded by great people. I wish everyone the best and I have no doubt that my seat will go out to someone as deserving!

The numbers game when it comes to rankings can really make you lose perspective for what the real goal is: becoming a pharmacist. In the end, which school you went to will not really matter once you reach that end goal. You could go to the "best" school out there and still be a crummy pharmacist. You could say that about any profession. In the end, each and every pharm school is choosing students not only based on their potential, but also their potential for contributing to the school to make it better than what it was before. Those are my two cents.

^QFT

I think the pre-pharmacy environment fosters that kind of numbered thinking. Everyone's only thinking about competing to get in. Of course, the best way for students to judge how they compare to others? Rankings/Numbers. In the end, that type of thinking is applied to everything else.

I think someone in our class still thinks that way (LSUCPhT and pharmB should know who I'm talking about).

I know in pre-pharmacy, my organic lab was full of people in pre-pharmacy. I had a LOT of my experiments sabotaged.

But in the end, once you're in, we're helping each other out to reach the same goal. The upperclassmen (like talkingdonkey, etc.) try to help us underclassmen out when they can.

And by personal experience (working with several pharmacists), armorking is right. Graduating from a higher ranked school means NOTHING.

@armorking: I'm sorry to see that you've decided to go elsewhere, but I'm sure you'll succeed in the path you've chosen. A good many of my (more friendly) colleagues from UH undergrad went there this year, so I'm ABSOLUTELY sure you'll be surrounded by great people as well.

P.S. See? armorking might have just given one of you your seat! ;D

Last edited:
^QFT

I think the pre-pharmacy environment fosters that kind of numbered thinking. Everyone's only thinking about competing to get in. Of course, the best way for students to judge how they compare to others? Rankings/Numbers. In the end, that type of thinking is applied to everything else.

I think someone in our class still thinks that way (LSUCPhT and pharmB should know who I'm talking about).

I know in pre-pharmacy, my organic lab was full of people in pre-pharmacy. I had a LOT of my experiments sabotaged.

But in the end, once you're in, we're helping each other out to reach the same goal. The upperclassmen (like talkingdonkey, etc.) try to help us underclassmen out when they can.

And by personal experience (working with several pharmacists), armorking is right. Graduating from a higher ranked school means NOTHING.

@armorking: I'm sorry to see that you've decided to go elsewhere, but I'm sure you'll succeed in the path you've chosen. A good many of my (more friendly) colleagues from UH undergrad went there this year, so I'm ABSOLUTELY sure you'll be surrounded by great people as well.

P.S. See? armorking might have just given one of you your seat! ;D

Trust me if I could go to both, I would!!! I am glad to know some of your colleagues are coming over to Tech! Who knows, all of our paths could meet in some unexpected way. That's just how life is but thank you for your kind words and I wish you the best in your endeavors! =)

Holy jeez. I didn't mean for it to be offensive or anything. Was just kinda bummed for not getting a letter. Had no idea you guys identified so strongly with the school. Yes, I was basing it off the US news report thing and the average credentials of the people who got in from previous years. But I did not mean for it to be offensive.

Guess I went off the wire with that one. Quite unprofessional of me. My apologies.

But yes, US News Report doesn't have us ranked quite yet, but in a few years, we'll see. Based on our student organizations, I'm pretty sure we'll take a high placing later on (e.g. at the SSHP competition last year, we took most of the top 10 spots). Our SNPhA chapter is growing nicely despite its rather new showing in the region.

To answer your original question, no, it doesn't mean that you'll not get any response from the other schools (and again, this is not based on rankings or anything). What determines it is purely based on what you present to the college itself and what they in particular are looking for. As for why they chose me here, I have no clue, but I know that I couldn't fit as well elsewhere. I went to the University of Houston and was actively involved in a lot of pharmacy related activities (such as being a peer advisor). Yet, despite two interviews there, I wasn't what they were looking for (a bit sore, considering how much I've done for them, but I've mostly come to terms with it). I think it also helped that by the time I came here, I was pretty used to interviews... ^^;

Again, I apologize for being a tad harsh, but be careful with your words when making statements that lower the image of others. Pharmacy is a fairly small world (one of my interviewers at UT knew my boss), and you never know how someone's view of you will affect your future.

But no, don't lose hope on the other places (nor here, unless you actually got a DENIAL... which typically doesn't happen this early in the game) just yet.

Just wondering, I heard that kingsville is doing more interviews. Wow, I am shocked. Why are they doing it? No offense but did they not get the 250 they wanted to interview? A little bird at the school told me that many reject the school, with that admissions have to see a great number of interviews so that all seats can be filled. Is this true? I also heard that if you get an interview you have a 75% chance of marticulating? Pharmacy Students can you shed light thanks and greatly appreciated.

perhaps some of those who interviewed did not meet other expectations (things other than pcat/gpa/prereqs) -- the school probably wants to maximize interviews to 250 qualified students. Maybe some who have interviewed were deemed unqualified by poor performance on the writing or interview experience. Or MAYBE, we just enjoy torturing prospective students. haha, either way, it MIGHT not even happen... but it could.

It was mentioned earlier...hope this answers your question bigbear2010

Texas A&M is my first choice school and I think it's a great school! I think I might be a bit biased because I graduated from the Texas A&M system and know I will get the best education possible there. I'm glad that I got an interview but I understand the ranking system so I'm going to try not to be so sad that I didn't get accepted. :)

There are a couple of low-income type places that are actually very nice. A couple of my classmates had spouses who worked but didn't make *that* much, so they are living there. I'll come up with the names of the apartments and post them in case anyone if interested.

Texas A&M is my first choice school and I think it's a great school! I think I might be a bit biased because I graduated from the Texas A&M system and know I will get the best education possible there. I'm glad that I got an interview but I understand the ranking system so I'm going to try not to be so sad that I didn't get accepted. :)

Don't give up hope!!!!

Guess I went off the wire with that one. Quite unprofessional of me. My apologies.

But yes, US News Report doesn't have us ranked quite yet, but in a few years, we'll see. Based on our student organizations, I'm pretty sure we'll take a high placing later on (e.g. at the SSHP competition last year, we took most of the top 10 spots). Our SNPhA chapter is growing nicely despite its rather new showing in the region.

To answer your original question, no, it doesn't mean that you'll not get any response from the other schools (and again, this is not based on rankings or anything). What determines it is purely based on what you present to the college itself and what they in particular are looking for. As for why they chose me here, I have no clue, but I know that I couldn't fit as well elsewhere. I went to the University of Houston and was actively involved in a lot of pharmacy related activities (such as being a peer advisor). Yet, despite two interviews there, I wasn't what they were looking for (a bit sore, considering how much I've done for them, but I've mostly come to terms with it). I think it also helped that by the time I came here, I was pretty used to interviews... ^^;

Again, I apologize for being a tad harsh, but be careful with your words when making statements that lower the image of others. Pharmacy is a fairly small world (one of my interviewers at UT knew my boss), and you never know how someone's view of you will affect your future.

But no, don't lose hope on the other places (nor here, unless you actually got a DENIAL... which typically doesn't happen this early in the game) just yet.

HEYYYY I know who you are now..... I was one of the interviewees who was trying to figure out which SDN member you were lol

In response to your comments defending the school's credibility, I am definitely on your side. A&M has such a far way to come and plenty of space to achieve levels that other schools may never.... I loved the school when I visited and know in the future, A&M will most likely be more respected than other pharmacy schools around the state! I look forward to that day as I have a strong connection with South Texas and am so proud to have a pharmacy school near my hometown!

On a sadder note... or maybe happier for those awaiting a spot, I will be turning down my acceptance in order to attend school in the same city as my boyfriend :)

Congratulations to all of those whom have been accepted, and to further refute the idea that getting an interview to A&M means you might not get interviews elsewhere, ALWAYS REMEMBER, each school looks for a different key characteristic in their applicants. For some, it is leadership/service, others GPA, others PCAT.... and for each, like in every university, you take out the rewards of the work you put in..... :D

Velvet Congrats! I'm pretty sure I met you at the UT interview on 25th.... maybe not. lol but either way GOOD LUCK!

HEYYYY I know who you are now..... I was one of the interviewees who was trying to figure out which SDN member you were lol

In response to your comments defending the school's credibility, I am definitely on your side. A&M has such a far way to come and plenty of space to achieve levels that other schools may never.... I loved the school when I visited and know in the future, A&M will most likely be more respected than other pharmacy schools around the state! I look forward to that day as I have a strong connection with South Texas and am so proud to have a pharmacy school near my hometown!

On a sadder note... or maybe happier for those awaiting a spot, I will be turning down my acceptance in order to attend school in the same city as my boyfriend :)

Congratulations to all of those whom have been accepted, and to further refute the idea that getting an interview to A&M means you might not get interviews elsewhere, ALWAYS REMEMBER, each school looks for a different key characteristic in their applicants. For some, it is leadership/service, others GPA, others PCAT.... and for each, like in every university, you take out the rewards of the work you put in..... :D

Daww... another good candidate lost... Good luck in your pursuits there!
Lol, I'm still laughing at the fact y'all thought I was LSUCPhT or PharmB that day.

Daww... another good candidate lost... Good luck in your pursuits there!
Lol, I'm still laughing at the fact y'all thought I was LSUCPhT or PharmB that day.

:rofl:

I'm just curious as to approximately how many people (of the 90 accepted) decline the offer?

Last edited:
I'm just curious as to approximately how many people (of the 90 accepted) decline the offer?

I'm hoping to get a call from Dr. Robertson soon with good news!! I haven't lost hope for my #1 choice!

I'm not sure how many people decline the offer, but I do know they usually have a week or so to accept or deny the offer. So, I can bet that no one will get calls til next week or so....

I think they have 2 weeks to accept/decline. Last date is March 18th.

I hate to post this but I'm just super excited!!! Dr. Robertson called me & offered me an invite to interview on March 24!!! I can't believe it!!!

Congrats Velvet! Looks like it's the waiting game for me. :(

omg i check my emails and thread so much..lol...waiting game is more stress than PCAT..lol.

Hi everyone, I declined my seat because I accepted at Texas Tech. Good luck to those still interviewing, and congrats to those accepted! :)

Looks like the waiting paid off. I just got an acceptance call from Dr. Robertson today! Keep your hopes up if you are still waiting.
:D

What time did they call you today? I did not receive any call at all. I think they reject me already...

Looks like the waiting paid off. I just got an acceptance call from Dr. Robertson today! Keep your hopes up if you are still waiting.
:D

Congratulations to you as well! You were accepted to Tech also, right? You have a preference?

What time did they call you today? I did not receive any call at all. I think they reject me already...

Unless things have changed, I don't think they straight off reject people. You may not even hear back until LATE JULY (I know one or two people in our class where that applies).

Status
Not open for further replies.