Texas A&M College of Dentistry Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

That’s funny there’s a rubric? When I interviewed I remember seeing a piece of paper with my GPA and the numeric ranking I had out of the applicants based specifically on the cGPA.
Yeah I didn't know about it until Dr. Miller was a guest speaker for our pre-dent society meeting. Apparently there's some sort of rubric but idk how it all works other than what she disclosed to us during the meeting.

Members don't see this ad.

Just heard from Dr. Miller just now that they are done sending interview invites this cycle and are working on filling the rest of the class. Also for those that are applying/reapplying next cycle, taking higher level courses is better than bumping up that DAT score (assuming you have a competitive enough score). They have a rubric when looking at applicants and she said that you don't lose any points when you have an AA of at least 20. You don't gain anymore points with an AA higher than a 20 either. With a GPA of 3.6 or better you don't lose any points on their rubric.
It is hard to believe they put people with 26 AA and 20 AA , similarly people with 3.6 GPA and 3.9 GPA in the same bucket.

what exactly is the deciding criteria for all the people above 3.6 GPA and 20 AA?

I can understand 20 AA and 3.6 GPA being the minimum criteria.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is hard to believe they put people with 26 AA and 20 AA , similarly people with 3.6 GPA and 3.9 GPA in the same bucket.

what exactly is the deciding criteria for all the people above 3.6 GPA and 20 AA?

UTHSCSA has a similar situation. They do a 2-hour file review and give students a ranking based on their file as a whole. From my understanding, there is a GPA and DAT score that gives you full points in those categories and anything below that cut-off will make you start to lose points. However, they still take into account other factors of your application. This is why some matriculants don't always match the average stats from matriculation. A good GPA and DAT score are important but then they take a look at everything else.

Reactions: 2 users

I can understand 20 AA and 3.6 GPA being the
If you find out let me know. I’ve sat for three years watching people with lower stats than mine get accepted and I’ve never even gotten an interview after applying to DDS, SPEP, and PBP. I’m done

Reactions: 1 user
If you find out let me know. I’ve sat for three years watching people with lower stats than mine get accepted and I’ve never even gotten an interview after applying to DDS, SPEP, and PBP. I’m done
Don't give up! I have heard many bad things about the organization and management at A&M. Sometimes, it's not you, it's them. Keep trying because I know you will get in. I believe that you can do it! Their system is messed up and discouraging, so don't let it get to you. If you are still interested, I think you should apply one more year...it might be your lucky year!

Don't give up! I have heard many bad things about the organization and management at A&M. Sometimes, it's not you, it's them. Keep trying because I know you will get in. I believe that you can do it! Their system is messed up and discouraging, so don't let it get to you. If you are still interested, I think you should apply one more year...it might be your lucky year!
I’m 40 years old. With the new increase in tuition it makes less sense to keep going from a financial aspect. In all honesty the continued rejection and complete silence is not good for my mental and emotional health. I really want it and I know I’m more than capable, but due to my situation that limits me to a single school I’m lacking opportunity.

hey guys im in need of some advice. I've been waiting on my A&M and UTHSCA decision since late jan/early feb respectively, and like some of y'all here, I haven't heard back. I was hoping I'd get my decision back from at least one of the schools soon enough so that I can make a decision on whether or not I should reapply and/or apply for a masters. But now, the next application cycle is about to start, and with my decisions on the two schools pending, I have no idea what I need to do. Should I:
a) continue to wait and do nothing
b) apply for masters and reapply
c) only reapply and nothing else
d) only do dental assisting and reapply
e) do dental assisting with a masters and reapply
If you have any other suggestions/advice please let me know. Feeling kinda bummed, stressed, and uncertain as what to what I should do. Thanks

Has anyone heard anything? I emailed them in February and Dr. Miller said we could hear up until May 1st.

• Hmm

What is the deciding criteria? The answer to your question: Race and ethnicity.

If there are any type A star students out there that SHOULD have been accepted but these schools kept you out, do the following. Apply for the military scholarship, write about this in your application, throw your application to the wind all over the country, leave Texas for a while and let your career flourish, then come back victorious. There will be a veteran on an admissions committee somewhere that will be sympathetic to you and you will be accepted. MAYBE in Texas, but maybe not. Take the chance, go. God's speed.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
anyone want to volunteer as tribute and email ms pledger or dr. miller :D

• Haha
What a trash response omg. These types of replies make me so sad for dentistry.
1) Automatically assuming you didn't get in because you're not a certain ethnicity says a lot about your personality and probably relates more to you not being accepted than your race. All of my classmates who are of under-represented minorities are brilliant and many of them had much, much higher DAT/GPA's than I did. 2) Dentistry needs diversity, and I'm glad it's taken into consideration.

I'm a "white" student at TAMCOD and have very average statistics. Actually, my DAT was far below the average DAT of my class. There's a lot that goes into it. You just weren't what they were looking for.
I never said anything about my own race nor if race was the basis on my acceptance to any institution. The reality is however that there are diversity standards that are met and this can exclude people from a seat in school, and this doesn't just mean "white" individuals. I also never questioned the intelligence of any group of people based on their race. That's what you're insinuating I said. You're reading things into my post that just are not there.

Members don't see this ad :)
You said “what is the deciding criteria? Race and ethnicity.” Then proceeded to say if there are “type A stars that SHOULD’VE gotten in that didn’t...” don’t back track now. There’s no magic DAT/GPA score that says you *should* be accepted. Your post implies if you weren’t accepted and were a “type A star student”, it is because you’re not a certain race or ethnicity. Many of my fellow white (and asian, indian, etc) classmates were also average or well below average. The school looks at absolutely everything.
Oh I don't back track. I absolutely believe race can be a differentiating factor when it comes down to it, whether it be between applicants of the same qualifications or differing levels of qualifications. Being kept out of school because of your race does not mean that someone else accepted to a school because of their race is not a "star." You're reaching quite a lot for things that I did not write.

You said “what is the deciding criteria? Race and ethnicity.” Then proceeded to say if there are “type A stars that SHOULD’VE gotten in that didn’t...” don’t back track now. There’s no magic DAT/GPA score that says you *should* be accepted. Your post implies if you weren’t accepted and were a “type A star student”, it is because you’re not a certain race or ethnicity. Many of my fellow white (and asian, indian, etc) classmates were also average or well below average. The school looks at absolutely everything.
Yep, there were people in my class that thought race was the most important factor in admissions. They also claimed that URMs were “Taking their seats”. Meanwhile some of these same people had family members that were alumni of the school. But of course that didn’t help them in the admissions process at all. :whistle:

What is the deciding criteria? The answer to your question: Race and ethnicity.

If there are any type A star students out there that SHOULD have been accepted but these schools kept you out, do the following. Apply for the military scholarship, write about this in your application, throw your application to the wind all over the country, leave Texas for a while and let your career flourish, then come back victorious. There will be a veteran on an admissions committee somewhere that will be sympathetic to you and you will be accepted. MAYBE in Texas, but maybe not. Take the chance, go. God's speed.
One component of TAMCOD’s vision is “Increasing access to dental care through cultural competence, diversity and community based care.” It sounds like your vision and core values would be better matched elsewhere.

Reactions: 3 users
This is the last comment I’ll write because it’s pointless to argue with anyone that feels entitled to acceptances for being an “A star applicant” (whatever that means). You wrote race and ethnicity is “the” deciding factor, not one of them. There’s no such thing as two applications being equal because personal statements, LORs, and extracurriculars will differentiate applicants when numbers don’t.
Of course race/ethnicity are taken into consideration, but literally every other inch of your application is considered as well. Don’t assume it’s just your race. Could just be your entitlement.

Bingooo Advance.
Where did I write that I was entitled to anything? And where did I assume that is was my race that effected my application? You do not know what my race is or what was in my application. You're the one that is assuming quite a lot.

One component of TAMCOD’s vision is “Increasing access to dental care through cultural competence, diversity and community based care.” It sounds like your vision and core values would be better matched elsewhere.
You're absolutely right. I don't care at all for diversity or cultural competence. I care about choosing the most outgoing, detail oriented, and ethical people out there to be dentists. Using race as an admissions factor is abhorrent.

Just got an email that I got put on the unofficial alternate list. They won't be sending out any more offers until late June.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Just got an email that I got put on the unofficial alternate list. They won't be sending out any more offers until late June.
Are you able to request your place # on the list? This is a bummer situation man but don’t lose hope. A good buddy of mine was accepted off the alt list a few years ago.

Asking the real questions here. I for one don't wanna do it myself bc am lazy
I can speak to the PBP aspect. I asked straight out if I was wasting my time because going into my third time applying with never so much as an interview I read the actual grant verbatim that the program is based upon. Then I asked them quoting the clauses in the grant if I would be negated given the rather explicit wording that the grant was for increasing minority dentists. I did not hear back for three days, and when I did it was the most CYA run through legal response, which tells me that I was likely correct that it was a waste of my time to apply. I had 5/9 disadvantages and have watched students with admittedly lower stats than mine and fewer disadvantages than myself go on to be accepted to the program while again never receiving an interview. My stats surpass all of the requirements for the DAT and GPA, I have over 2700 hours of community service, over half of that regularly in dental missions, a master’s degree, life experience, started my Postbacc living in emergency women’s shelter housing, and 4+ years working in the dental industry. I will let you guess the one aspect I can’t fulfill. I could only go to one school because I would have to give up custody of my children to my abuser. Three years of them knowing my situation, knowing I’m fully capable of succeeding, and completely lacking in an opportunity. Just because I don’t fit the social schema of what they want to appear as being disadvantaged doesn’t negate the fact that I am, yet there will be no opportunities coming my way.

• Sad
  • Care
I can speak to the PBP aspect. I asked straight out if I was wasting my time because going into my third time applying with never so much as an interview I read the actual grant verbatim that the program is based upon. Then I asked them quoting the clauses in the grant if I would be negated given the rather explicit wording that the grant was for increasing minority dentists. I did not hear back for three days, and when I did it was the most CYA run through legal response, which tells me that I was likely correct that it was a waste of my time to apply. I had 5/9 disadvantages and have watched students with admittedly lower stats than mine and fewer disadvantages than myself go on to be accepted to the program while again never receiving an interview. My stats surpass all of the requirements for the DAT and GPA, I have over 2700 hours of community service, over half of that regularly in dental missions, a master’s degree, life experience, started my Postbacc living in emergency women’s shelter housing, and 4+ years working in the dental industry. I will let you guess the one aspect I can’t fulfill. I could only go to one school because I would have to give up custody of my children to my abuser. Three years of them knowing my situation, knowing I’m fully capable of succeeding, and completely lacking in an opportunity. Just because I don’t fit the social schema of what they want to appear as being disadvantaged doesn’t negate the fact that I am, yet there will be no opportunities coming my way.
I am very sorry to hear about your situation, wish you the best in your endeavors!!!

Figured I’d chime in since I just remembered this. Despite what the school says we didnt need the iPads last year and they didn’t check if your computer was newer than two years old.

They iPads are for taking anatomy practicals on. If you’re able to hold your laptop in one hand and type your answers you don’t have to spend the money. It’s pretty infuriating they told us to buy one when their justification is we use it for one class.

I'd like to add that if you're in the market for a new laptop don't be intimidated by the TPM chip requirement. Most new laptops have a TPM chip since it has been somewhat a non-official industry standard for at least a few years. this is something even sales reps don't know since manuals don't mention it. Even the most basic Dell and Acer laptops have them but reps will tell you they don't. So don't buy a professional laptop that goes for double the price of a home consumer laptop just for the chip.
Also, you can buy a laptop with Home Windows and upgrade to Professional for $100, or if you're a little computer savvy you can just buy a $10 key code from a 3rd party resellers to upgrade from Home version to Professional.

Just got the acceptance letter today!

Reactions: 7 users
Just heard from Dr. Miller just now that they are done sending interview invites this cycle and are working on filling the rest of the class. Also for those that are applying/reapplying next cycle, taking higher level courses is better than bumping up that DAT score (assuming you have a competitive enough score). They have a rubric when looking at applicants and she said that you don't lose any points when you have an AA of at least 20. You don't gain anymore points with an AA higher than a 20 either. With a GPA of 3.6 or better you don't lose any points on their rubric.
Hey I know this thread a bit old but did Dr. Miller say the 3.6 gpa and 20 AA were benchmark stats for the rubric this past year? And do you think it applies for this current cycle as well?

Last edited:
Hey I know this thread a bit old but did Dr. Miller say the 3.6 gpa and 20 AA were benchmark stats for the rubric this past year? And do you think it applies for this current cycle as well?
I think it applies for this current cycle. It just keeps getting more and more competitive

I think it applies for this current cycle. It just keeps getting more and more competitive
Okay sounds good thank you! So odds are decent if an applicant is invited for an interview and has their gpa and dat above 3.6 and 20?