Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wondering... how long did it take to get your DHL package after the e-mail/call of acceptance?

next day at my permanent address

Members don't see this ad.

ummm...mine took about a week due to human error but it shouldve been within 3 days

Hi everyone

Anyone know how many vacant seat remain for the Class of 2012?

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent mine on friday, and got it monday.

"
Drug Screening

The Texas A&M Health Science Center Irma Lerma Rangel College of Pharmacy will not require, as a matter of routine, students or accepted applicants to participate in a drug screen for illegal or prescribed substances unless they have been referred to the Texas Pharmacy Recovery Network or other substance abuse treatment facility. However, students may be required by an affiliated early or advanced rotation site to submit to a drug screen before participating in experiences at that institution. The College will inform the students in advance if the clinical experience facility will require a drug screen. The student will be responsible for contacting an approved vendor, paying for expenses for the drug screen, and for insuring that results of the drug screen are forwarded directly to the facility from the vendor. Students who refuse to submit to the required drug screens or who do not pass them will be dismissed from the program. Failure to request a drug screen or having the results of a drug screen sent in a timely manner may result in the student not being allowed to start a specific early experience or APPE. A student will NOT be permitted to start an early experience or APPE late due to a delay in drug screen results being received by a site.

Students have the right to review the information reported by the designated vendor for accuracy and completeness and to request that the designated vendor verify that the results of the drug screen provided are correct. Prior to making a final determination that may adversely affect the applicant or student, the College of Pharmacy will inform the student or applicant of their rights, how to contact the designated vendor to challenge the accuracy of the report, and that the designated vendor was not involved in any decisions made by the College of Pharmacy."

hey... its cool if you get in... but we cant be stopping class to help you wipe your nose and tie your shoes. lol

Oh man, we are already past that stage. It looks like we'll have to give him that "heart to heart" talk about the negative side of using drug.

ok....

hey guys im not a druggie.

seriously. lol

finally! i can finally breath. dr. robertson gave me a call this morning. at first i was ticked off because someone was waking me up in the middle of such a good dream. then i saw the area code and i couldn't stop smiling! hope to see you guys in the fall!

ok....

hey guys im not a druggie.

seriously. lol

He'll be the one that smells like weed at orientation...

on second thought... I think his choice of a Pink signature indicates an ongoing relationship with some trippier stuff...

finally! i can finally breath. dr. robertson gave me a call this morning. at first i was ticked off because someone was waking me up in the middle of such a good dream. then i saw the area code and i couldn't stop smiling! hope to see you guys in the fall!

Oh and congratulations.

wow! you too? i was kinda groggy when he called me at like 4:30 in the afternoon. lol

i dont think he knows that thats when alot of students take naps

Members don't see this ad :)
wow! you too? i was kinda groggy when he called me at like 4:30 in the afternoon. lol

i dont think he knows that thats when alot of students take naps

4:30... isn't that exactly 10 min following 4:20?

Does anyone know if A&M pharm has a PharmD/MBA program? I am really interested in that. And if they don't, would there be any way to earn that after graduating from A&M pharm? Would it mean I'd have to go back to school again to get it?

There's gonna be one more seat available for someone on the waitlist! I just found out I got into UT!!! It's a hard decision between the two schools, but considering I already live in Austin, it makes more sense to go to UT... Sure does suck losing that 500 bucks tho...

There's gonna be one more seat available for someone on the waitlist! I just found out I got into UT!!! It's a hard decision between the two schools, but considering I already live in Austin, it makes more sense to go to UT... Sure does suck losing that 500 bucks tho...

Don't forget to add in the $17 you spent to overnight that $500.

Yes that sucks... and no PharmD/MBA... I don't know that one exists in Texas... and Knick is right that 17 breaks the camels back.

Don't forget to add in the $17 you spent to overnight that $500.

oh yeah, i forgot about that. and to think it all could have been avoided if ut hadn't messed around with deferring my application multiple times...

oh yeah, i forgot about that. and to think it all could have been avoided if ut hadn't messed around with deferring my application multiple times...

Is it possible that this could still happen to you Knick?

Is it possible that this could still happen to you Knick?

No, I contacted them, and I was flat out rejected. A number of us on here never heard anything (yes, no, or deferred) after the March 20th review. We had to actually contact them to find out. There are still a few floating around who are afraid to contact the school, hoping that they really weren't rejected.

My online status still says something to the effect of "your online status will be updated when a decision has been made."

They've been doing this for years, so they don't have an excuse of being new like some other schools. They just simply don't give a **** about students. I really got that feeling on my interview day when I only saw one faculty member for 3 minutes at the group questionaire (before he hurried away). It's very unprofessional for students to be interviewed by two P3s. I don't see two students being qualified to make this decision.

I also doubt that their adcom reviews are as in-depth as everyone believes; they just don't want to spend time on it.

But it's a prestigious school and it is in Austin, so people put up with it. I once asked a professor why UT did stuff that other schools did not (extra transfer essay, very long waits, etc), and he said, "Because they can - they are UT." However, I admit that if divine intervention caused a sudden change of their minds that I would drop everything and go.

Ok, I really didn't know much about their admissions system. I was gonna apply but I decided against it after looking at the application and knowing it wasn't even my second choice.

I actually visited there a couple of weekends ago with my school's pre-pharmacy association.

No, I contacted them, and I was flat out rejected. A number of us on here never heard anything (yes, no, or deferred) after the March 20th review. We had to actually contact them to find out. There are still a few floating around who are afraid to contact the school, hoping that they really weren't rejected.

My online status still says something to the effect of "your online status will be updated when a decision has been made."

They've been doing this for years, so they don't have an excuse of being new like some other schools. They just simply don't give a **** about students. I really got that feeling on my interview day when I only saw one faculty member for 3 minutes at the group questionaire (before he hurried away). It's very unprofessional for students to be interviewed by two P3s. I don't see two students being qualified to make this decision.

I also doubt that their adcom reviews are as in-depth as everyone believes; they just don't want to spend time on it.

But it's a prestigious school and it is in Austin, so people put up with it. I once asked a professor why UT did stuff that other schools did not (extra transfer essay, very long waits, etc), and he said, "Because they can - they are UT." However, I admit that if divine intervention caused a sudden change of their minds that I would drop everything and go.

There is a quote that is something like "Texan by birth, Aggie by the grace of God." :) UT doesn't care about its students, they have people flocking to go there, you are just a number, a tuition check, etc. If you get into trouble here at TAMHSC, they are going to do EVERYTHING IN THEIR POWER and THEN SOME to accommodate your needs and keep you as a student. At UT I'm sure they wouldn't even blink as they kicked you out.

In fact, I would be very interested in seeing what their retention numbers are like, if someone knows where that information would be.

I really think some of you are making too many presumptions about UT-Austin. I'm not going to say that people never have bad experiences at UT-Austin. But I think it's pretty arrogant and naive to say "UT doesn't care about its students... you are just a number, a tuition check, etc." What basis do you have to say this other than personal anecdotes and perhaps a dose of school rivalry?

In my time in past years as an undergraduate, I have had friends and relatives who have applied to various pharmacy schools around the country. On SDN, I have read some very positive comments about places like Texas Tech and UH, with interviewees saying that they liked talking to the faculty and students, and that they felt welcome at these places. This was in contrast with a friend of mine who is on her PGY1 after attending UT-Austin, who said that she felt like Texas Tech felt like a very reserved and aloof environment. She remarked that when she was applying back in undergraduate school, of all of the schools she interviewed at, UT-Austin felt most welcoming.

Looking through the SDN Pharmacy School Database, most of the reviews for UT-Austin and UCSF are extremely positive. There are a few peppered negative reviews, but they seem to be in the minority.

Personally, when I was rejected last year from UT-Austin, Texas Tech, and A&M, I called each school for advice as to how to improve my candidacy. I contacted each school several times, and I found that my conversations with Rich Wilcox from UT-Austin were the most helpful and comforting time that I had following my rejection. He looked at my file, offered specific advice, offered his opinions on what I had planned for the next year, conveyed a sense of empathy, and seemed invested in my continued interest and effort as a rejected candidate to a pharmacy school.

Texas Tech and A&M both offered their sympathies and general advice, but neither were very specific or went to the degree of reviewing my file. As opposed to UT which noted specific events and stats in my file, it didn't seem like that Texas Tech or A&M knew the first thing about my file. Though I wouldn't say they were unhelpful, the amount of time and investment offered by them seemed to be considerably less than that conveyed by UT-Austin. My phone calls at those schools lasted maybe 5 minutes. On the other hand, my conversations with Rich Wilcox lasted considerably longer, perhaps more than half an hour.

I offer this anecdote because if we were to go off anecdotes only, you would think that nothing good ever happened in Austin. Maybe some skew should be expected in a thread titled "Texas A&M."

I don't doubt that people have had bad experiences at UT, or that people have been slighted at that school. However, I think it's equally naive to act as though these events are exclusive to UT, since I've heard negative things about other schools without people making extrapolations and dragging conclusions as far as it's been done in some posts here. It embarrasses me to think that you would make some of the grand assumptions that are being made.

--Garfield

According to this calculator, the cost of tuition (based on the 18 hour curriculum) in the Spring 2007 semester should have been $3780. After fees and expenses, the cost of attending would be $5697.80. I would imagine, as outlined in their ACPE self-assessment PDF, that the cost of education has risen in the past two semesters.

https://hscepay.tamhsc.edu/tuitionestimator.php

It may not be altogether accurate, but it should give us an idea of how much things will cost.

--Garfield3d

I'm gonna go ahead and say that my situation with UT was rather unusual. I'm a reapplicant for the fall of 08, and I initially interviewed as back in 2006. The weird thing is, I was offered an interview in middle May after they had filled most of the class but were looking for more qualified applicants. I had a nontraditional interview with only only one faculty member. I was denied admission.

Now, two years later, I reapplied as a degree recipient with 4.5 total years pharmacy technician experience and much more community involvement and leadership. The emailed me and said that my previous interview was sufficient and that there was no need for a second interview. After 2 deferrals, I was accepted.

I know people have commented that they only saw one faculty member/got only interviewed by 2 P3's etc., but honestly, the only interview i had was with one faculty member over 2 years ago. I have to say that the positive changes in my application I have made over the past two years have had an impact on their decision.

It was a very hard to choose between the A&M HSC and UT, but being already living in Austin, I found it too easy just to stay where I'm at. For everyone going to Kingsville, I think you're terribly lucky to get to make a name for yourself in a new place that is going to do so much good for the healthcare of South Texas. I wish I could go to both schools as A&M is so much newer and state of the art.

As far as saying UT does not care about their students, I think that's very far fetched. UT is a premier academic institution, and the people they accept are very well prepared to handle the coursework and academic rigors that are required of them. I think that they accept students that are well equipped to deal with the course load, and I think by being exceptionally selective, they are able to have a decent retention rate.

I have several friends that have attended UT, A&M, and UH and they all say that their institution is the best. I feel that as long as we all get a sufficient education and we are all prepared to handle the responsibility of being a pharmacist, that we all win, despite which school we attend.

The true goal of pharmacy is to improve the health care of our population and play an important role in patient care. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted, and good luck to everyone who is still waiting. We're all working towards the same goal of helping people live better lives.

Yes that sucks... and no PharmD/MBA... I don't know that one exists in Texas... and Knick is right that 17 breaks the camels back.

I think the main reason there's no PharmD/MBA is because the MBA requires a 4-year bachelor's degree and even though you are getting a higher-level degree, I'm sure it's sticky to work out since a lot of people don't have prior degrees. I know UH offers a combined PharmD with a Masters in Pharmacy Administration which is supposed to be pretty close, and I'm guessing other schools might have something similar.

Uh oh, we offended the UT Defense Squad! One was so offended that they had to mention UCSF - a school none of us even mentioned.

When UT faculty can't be bothered to deal with me for more than a couple minutes during my time there, that really conveys a message to me, and I'm sticking with that opinion.

One of you said that UT takes people very prepared to handle the vigor, yet, right before the PCAT, one of their students (who got in!) was asking extremely basic general chemistry questions in the PCAT group. Well prepared, indeed.

As for the retention rate, they had seven people fail in the fall. I hear that it looks like a few more will fail after this semester. 10 people for one class is ridiculous. I've asked pharmacists (including one who went to UT seven years ago), and they all say that is very high. It is, considering how selective the process is supposed to be.

Maybe all of the other UT students/fans can jump into this conversation.

ummm...seriously guys, i thought all this rivalry crap ended at undergrad football.:(

shouldnt we just all be happy that we got into A pharmacy school and we'll have a great job when we graduate?:laugh:

ummm...seriously guys, i thought all this rivalry crap ended at undergrad football.:(

shouldnt we just all be happy that we got into A pharmacy school and we'll have a great job when we graduate?:laugh:

If only we could all be as mellowed out as you :smuggrin:

Uh oh, we offended the UT Defense Squad! One was so offended that they had to mention UCSF - a school none of us even mentioned.

When UT faculty can't be bothered to deal with me for more than a couple minutes during my time there, that really conveys a message to me, and I'm sticking with that opinion.

One of you said that UT takes people very prepared to handle the vigor, yet, right before the PCAT, one of their students (who got in!) was asking extremely basic general chemistry questions in the PCAT group. Well prepared, indeed.

As for the retention rate, they had seven people fail in the fall. I hear that it looks like a few more will fail after this semester. 10 people for one class is ridiculous. I've asked pharmacists (including one who went to UT seven years ago), and they all say that is very high. It is, considering how selective the process is supposed to be.

Maybe all of the other UT students/fans can jump into this conversation.

7 people?????????????????? That makes me very, very sad. That is a ridiculously high number. Not only are these people OUT, they will probably not go to another pharmacy school, and they will still owe ALL THAT MONEY!!!! Seriously, I am more in debt from my first SEMESTER of pharmacy school than I was from all of undergrad. I can't imagine bombing out even LATER ON and having to pay that back!! Every year I go to school it's another $300/month I have to pay back whether I have a PharmD or not.

UT-Guy (sorry I am bad with fake names): Technically speaking, TAMHSCILRCOP has lost ONE PERSON in two years because of grades, and that person has already been readmitted for fall. If you get in, they will keep you in. You CANNOT say that about UT, period. It's a better financial investment on your part to enter a $150K race and know you will cross the finish line than wonder if you will cross it at all.

i got my "universal identification number" letter yesterday from TAMHSC.

they haven't posted anything to our accounts so there's still no exact tuition information.

i got my "universal identification number" letter yesterday from TAMHSC.

they haven't posted anything to our accounts so there's still no exact tuition information.

Where do you go to log in? I think that the UIN is used for the entire A&M system, so I want to try mine.

Where do you go to log in? I think that the UIN is used for the entire A&M system, so I want to try mine.

You log in at https://oasis.tamhsc.edu/oasis/Login.aspx

My bill for last semester was 5,726.76 but that doesn't include the increase in tuition (min. $325/semester), increase in fees (min $300/semester), and the laptop that they will add to P1's bill. Ours was $1900 (and not worth it IMHO). Total that's $8252. :(

I wouldn't be so eager to use that site, until the week before school. When they were adding some students they listed them as "out of state" and showed bills in excess of $21,000. Everything is a work in progress!

My bill for last semester was 5,726.76 but that doesn't include the increase in tuition (min. $325/semester), increase in fees (min $300/semester), and the laptop that they will add to P1's bill. Ours was $1900 (and not worth it IMHO). Total that's $8252. :(

I wouldn't be so eager to use that site, until the week before school. When they were adding some students they listed them as "out of state" and showed bills in excess of $21,000. Everything is a work in progress!

do you know when and where we get our neonet IDs and passwords?

Thanks for the information. I really hope that they don't force the laptop on us. I have one that cost something like $600 that meets all of their requirements. I don't like the idea of being forced to pay $1900 for a couple extra features and, most of all, the Dell logo.

For $1900, I could get a decent gaming laptop, which is most likely not what they are going to sell us.

Thanks for the information. I really hope that they don't force the laptop on us. I have one that cost something like $600 that meets all of their requirements. I don't like the idea of being forced to pay $1900 for a couple extra features and, most of all, the Dell logo.

For $1900, I could get a decent gaming laptop, which is most likely not what they are going to sell us.

where did you find the laptop requirements?
i want to pass on their laptop deal as well.

Also, before I mess something up, does anyone know if our UINs for the A&M system are the same as the one ILRCoP will issue?

I just tried it and it works, so it should be fine for any UIN issued for any school in the A&M system.

where did you find the laptop requirements?
i want to pass on their laptop deal as well.

Well, I am making a couple assumptions on top of this post from a couple pages back:

Honestly, I don't really know/remember:confused:. I am not very computer lit. BUT all I had to do was add 1 gig to the laptop I already had (it's 1.5 yrs old now). SO I think you need at least 2 gigs and I know wireless for sure. The IT dept. here could give you that info tho...

I would guess XP or Vista and a certain processor speed are "needed."

Well I hope that they dont make us buy a computer from them. I just spent about 1500 on a laptop that I am still paying for. Well I hope they give out the specs soon. Also I plan to go to Kingsville in about 2 weeks to check out apartments. I will post what I find.

I would like to find a fellow student to share an apartment.

Actually I'm looking forward to buying a new laptop. At least if the school forces us to, my parents will pick up the tab for me as a gift. About housing though, I asked a buddy of mine who is a P1 for his advice, and he said check out Hunters Chase, Hawks Landing, and then of course Java Station (said it wasn't that great and management sucked). Anyone else have any input b/c I'm heading out there in the next week to knock housing out of the way?

About housing though, I asked a buddy of mine who is a P1 for his advice, and he said check out Hunters Chase, Hawks Landing, and then of course Java Station (said it wasn't that great and management sucked). Anyone else have any input b/c I'm heading out there in the next week to knock housing out of the way?

oOo! do you mind posting up your finds when you're back from Kingsville? that would be MOSTLY appreciated!

The showroom is pretty because no one has lived in it. :) From what I have heard, you will be left with other people's stained carpet and furniture and they won't replace it. Also, people have loud parties until 3 or 4 on wednesdays and thursdays (not just weekends) so don't forget to say hi to them when you are leaving to go to your 8 oclock class. I myself wouldn't believe what they say about giving half of JS to the pharmacy students because they could do that now but they don't. Personally, I don't know of anyone who has stayed there that *wants* to stay there again. Unfortunately you are really limited here in Kingsville. There are some nicer places further outside town but they normally give preference to people from the naval base. I am sure that there will be numerous people there with you if you decide to stay there, so you won't be alone in your misery. There are some students who live in Corpus but that's at least an hour of driving each day which will cost you a LOT of time and gas is $3.50/gal here. Sorry I wish I had better news for you. If you have the funds, buy a cheap house and throw house parties. :)

I totally agree with you. A lot of noisy students stay at JS. A noisy roomate will have a negative impact on your performance in pharmacy school. You guys are going to have a lot of exams and stress, so a noisy roomate is going to drive you crazy. Don't expect that Javelina Station will match you with a right roommate. They care more about your checks. For those who care about your performance in pharmacy school, having a right roommate is very important.:idea:

I spoke with someone from the school. Laptops do NOT have to be purchased from the school, although it is "highly recommended." For those of us who are at least semi-proficient with computers, she also mentioned that in the next few weeks, they will send out information via mail that includes minimum laptop specifications for the program. So, no, you won't be forced to buy a laptop. You just need to have something that fits their requirements.

Also, for FAFSA, as mentioned by RobertZimmerman, the person over the phone also confirmed that the school code is 004948. It might show up as the health science center, or dental/doctor related school. However, it should not show up as Kingsville.

--Garfield3d

(Edit)
I received the invitation phone call on Thursday, e-mail on Friday, and the DHL package on Monday. From what I gathered from the DHL website, the DHL envelope should have been "next day" except they don't deliver on weekends. The postmark seems to be Friday, and it probably sat in Dallas for the entire weekend. I used first class mail from Dallas on Tuesday morning and, using certified mail, my response was delivered by Friday morning. I called this Monday to confirm and they said everything came in just fine.

I totally agree with you. A lot of noisy students stay at JS. A noisy roomate will have a negative impact on your performance in pharmacy school. You guys are going to have a lot of exams and stress, so a noisy roomate is going to drive you crazy. Don't expect that Javelina Station will match you with a right roommate. They care more about your checks. For those who care about your performance in pharmacy school, having a right roommate is very important.:idea:

Unless you are the noisy roommate... like the old adage... everyone has a weird annoying roomate... if you don't then you are the weird annoying roommate.

I'll be living at JS with some friends I know well (including my current roommate).

So, anyone know anything for sure about the orientations?

I really hope the pre-orientation isn't mandatory. That's a loooong trip to make and I'll be in class at that time.

So, anyone know anything for sure about the orientations?

I really hope the pre-orientation isn't mandatory. That's a loooong trip to make and I'll be in class at that time.

I called today and they said pre-orientation is on June 27 (Friday), orientation on August 14,15 (Thursday & Friday) and first day of class is on August 18 (Monday). They also told me that they are in the process of sending more info through regular mail.

Did everyone fill out the FAFSA already? When Dr. Robertson called me he said to wait until I got more info on financial aid. Should I fill it out anyway?

I called today and they said pre-orientation is on June 27 (Friday), orientation on August 14,15 (Thursday & Friday) and first day of class is on August 18 (Monday). They also told me that they are in the process of sending more info through regular mail.

Did everyone fill out the FAFSA already? When Dr. Robertson called me he said to wait until I got more info on financial aid. Should I fill it out anyway?
You can fill out the information for FAFSA if you'd like. The important thing is to have the right school code, which is 004948. There will be information coming in the mail that will cover the information for FAFSA too, but it's pretty straightforward. If you want to get it over with now, feel free. Or, if you decided to wait for the mail, you won't be late for anything if you decide to wait that long.

--Garfield3d