Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Robertson, Called me as well :) right after my Genetics test!. Don't loose hope guys, :).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, this is my first post. I got in! I'm so happy

Well i guess i didn't make the second round either................im sure they are probably done with second round acceptances so I think I am just going to give up on TAMUK.
Nor did I. But, I'm relieved. I would have forced myself go to that school if I got in. However, I'd really rather go someplace else, like UT or UIW.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nor did I. But, I'm relieved. I would have forced myself go to that school if I got in. However, I'd really rather go someplace else, like UT or UIW.

Did you apply to UIW?

I would totally agree with you, however, I cant afford to be picky. Only TAMUK accepted me. Also, i dont think a small town environment is a bad place to study

Who is interested in javelina station? I think I might want to have a roomate or something

Who is interested in javelina station? I think I might want to have a roomate or something

I would definitely ask someone who lives there currently what they think about living there. From what I hear, it's roach infested, has poor maintenance, and very VERY loud neighbors. You aren't guaranteed to live with a pharmacy student roommate or have a building full of pharmacy students. But hey, it's really close to the school and looks pretty. :) It all depends on what you want!

I would definitely ask someone who lives there currently what they think about living there. From what I hear, it's roach infested, has poor maintenance, and very VERY loud neighbors. You aren't guaranteed to live with a pharmacy student roommate or have a building full of pharmacy students. But hey, it's really close to the school and looks pretty. :) It all depends on what you want!

I was kinda wondering if JS was a good place to live or not. I already sent my application but are there better choices to live in than JS? I live in Dallas so I can't easily scope out any of the other apartments.

have you lived in JS before? I was talking to the manager and she said that once the pharmacy school gets all four years of students in, they will remove the undergraduates and give us half of JS.

at least the showroom that I saw looked pretty.

I've been to several different rooms there and from what I've seen it depends on the tenants. Those who have tons of parties and don't clean up have bad apartments.... those who keep their place up have good apartments.

have you lived in JS before? I was talking to the manager and she said that once the pharmacy school gets all four years of students in, they will remove the undergraduates and give us half of JS.

at least the showroom that I saw looked pretty.

The showroom is pretty because no one has lived in it. :) From what I have heard, you will be left with other people's stained carpet and furniture and they won't replace it. Also, people have loud parties until 3 or 4 on wednesdays and thursdays (not just weekends) so don't forget to say hi to them when you are leaving to go to your 8 oclock class. I myself wouldn't believe what they say about giving half of JS to the pharmacy students because they could do that now but they don't. Personally, I don't know of anyone who has stayed there that *wants* to stay there again. Unfortunately you are really limited here in Kingsville. There are some nicer places further outside town but they normally give preference to people from the naval base. I am sure that there will be numerous people there with you if you decide to stay there, so you won't be alone in your misery. There are some students who live in Corpus but that's at least an hour of driving each day which will cost you a LOT of time and gas is $3.50/gal here. Sorry I wish I had better news for you. If you have the funds, buy a cheap house and throw house parties. :)

I was kinda wondering if JS was a good place to live or not. I already sent my application but are there better choices to live in than JS? I live in Dallas so I can't easily scope out any of the other apartments.

I've been trying to find apartment information online, but not much turns up for Kingsville and smaller cities. Pretty much just Corpus Christi is well covered. This is going to be tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
No kidding, I've been on apartmentreviews.com and other sites and you just can't really tell without going. *sigh* I think i'll just have to make the trek down there sometime soon and take a look around...probably have to drive the 7 hours since I don't want to use money on a plane ticket and a rental car :(

Hm, well, if several of us are aiming at Javelina Station, is there interest in setting up some sort of roommate situation / preference list, etc? It sounds like some of us share the same concerns of sound and whatnot. Although we can't control our neighbors, I imagine many of us are looking for quiet roommates or people that won't set the rug on fire. And, maybe it'll be easier to get along seeing that Javelina Station may not be able to group all of the pharmacy students with pharmacy roommates.

--Garfield3d

No kidding, I've been on apartmentreviews.com and other sites and you just can't really tell without going. *sigh* I think i'll just have to make the trek down there sometime soon and take a look around...probably have to drive the 7 hours since I don't want to use money on a plane ticket and a rental car :(

I think the pre-orientation for ya'll is in June something? I would recommend staying an extra day or two and scope out apartments then instead of making a separate trip. In addition to being terrible, the complexes are really not interested in helping you out because they are normally full. If they don't think they they will have an opening they won't bother to even take your name.

For example, my friend and I went to the Santa Gertrudis apartments (which is also close to the school) to ask about apartments and the lady said verbatim "We don't have any apartments available right now." Even though there were two "NOW LEASING" signs out front. I asked her about it, and she said she might have something opening up in the next couple of months, but it would have been easier to pull out my own teeth than to get information from this lady. Imagine going to a car lot and saying "I want to buy a red car" and the sales guy says "We don't have red cars" and walks off. Wouldn't happen in the real world but it happens here.

This is another thing that you will unfortunately come to realize when you are here is that this town's stores, restaurants, etc are all staffed by people who really don't care about their jobs or know what they are doing. Every place is hiring and no one wants to work I guess so they will take whoever. Bring with you a lot of extra time and patience. :) I hope this doesn't offend anyone in particular!

I think the pre-orientation for ya'll is in June something? I would recommend staying an extra day or two and scope out apartments then instead of making a separate trip. In addition to being terrible, the complexes are really not interested in helping you out because they are normally full. If they don't think they they will have an opening they won't bother to even take your name.

For example, my friend and I went to the Santa Gertrudis apartments (which is also close to the school) to ask about apartments and the lady said verbatim "We don't have any apartments available right now." Even though there were two "NOW LEASING" signs out front. I asked her about it, and she said she might have something opening up in the next couple of months, but it would have been easier to pull out my own teeth than to get information from this lady. Imagine going to a car lot and saying "I want to buy a red car" and the sales guy says "We don't have red cars" and walks off. Wouldn't happen in the real world but it happens here.

This is another thing that you will unfortunately come to realize when you are here is that this town's stores, restaurants, etc are all staffed by people who really don't care about their jobs or know what they are doing. Every place is hiring and no one wants to work I guess so they will take whoever. Bring with you a lot of extra time and patience. :) I hope this doesn't offend anyone in particular!
Yes, our pre-orientation is scheduled for June 27, a Friday. It is highly recommended, but not altogether mandatory if you have some prior obligation. The second orientation is in August, and that one is mandatory.

--Garfield3d

Yes, our pre-orientation is scheduled for June 21, a Friday. It is highly recommended, but not altogether mandatory if you have some prior obligation. The second orientation is in August, and that one is mandatory.

--Garfield3d
How did you get this info?

If that information is correct, it will save me one trip. :thumbup:

How did you get this info?
Agh, I couldn't read my own handwriting. I'm going to edit that. It should read "June 27, a Friday" in my original post.

When Dr. Robertson called me to extend the good news, I asked him about the orientation dates (because I remember uncertainty about them on SDN) since there was a summer program that I wanted to attend that may prevent me from attending an early summer orientation. He told me that there was an early mini-orientation on June 27, a Friday. When I told him that I wasn't sure that I could make that date, he told me that the first orientation is mostly a get-together where students meet their professors, faculty, and other students. He mentioned that because it has been well-received in the past that it is highly recommended. I honestly was not sure if my summer spiel will afford me that much leeway to travel, and he told me that I will need to attend the orientation date in August in order to join the pharmacy program.

Among the random other notes that I took on this piece of envelope, I also gathered:

--10AM Monday...? (I think that's for the people who missed a phone call from Dr. Robertson; that is when they can begin to call him back)
--Call the school of pharmacy if you received a phone call from Dr. Robertson but do not receive a DHL package by Monday.
--As RobZim mentioned, financial aid is based off of College Station

Oh, and I missed your message of congratulations to King and me earlier. Thanks Rob and Twirler! I hope to meet you all in the Fall.

--Garfield3d

Yeah!!!! Just got the call I'm in! See everyone in orientation.:laugh:

congrats PharmDGuty :D that is awesome!

Agh, I couldn't read my own handwriting. I'm going to edit that. It should read "June 27, a Friday" in my original post.

When Dr. Robertson called me to extend the good news, I asked him about the orientation dates (because I remember uncertainty about them on SDN) since there was a summer program that I wanted to attend that may prevent me from attending an early summer orientation. He told me that there was an early mini-orientation on June 27, a Friday. When I told him that I wasn't sure that I could make that date, he told me that the first orientation is mostly a get-together where students meet their professors, faculty, and other students. He mentioned that because it has been well-received in the past that it is highly recommended. I honestly was not sure if my summer spiel will afford me that much leeway to travel, and he told me that I will need to attend the orientation date in August in order to join the pharmacy program.

Among the random other notes that I took on this piece of envelope, I also gathered:

--10AM Monday...? (I think that's for the people who missed a phone call from Dr. Robertson; that is when they can begin to call him back)
--Call the school of pharmacy if you received a phone call from Dr. Robertson but do not receive a DHL package by Monday.
--As RobZim mentioned, financial aid is based off of College Station

Oh, and I missed your message of congratulations to King and me earlier. Thanks Rob and Twirler! I hope to meet you all in the Fall.

--Garfield3d

No problem :D It's looking like almost everyone who was waitlisted the first time got in (well except me), what I would give to know what it was they didnt like!

Has anyone looked into private loans yet? I know that I'm going to need money from that, so I've started calling banks.

I can only do $5300 per year! I'm told that this is the maximum set by the school. One person I talked to tried to get me to borrow money right now before I graduate because I could get up to $14,700 as an undergraduate!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Picard,

You can borrow a ton of money from the government as a graduate student.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp?tab=funding

Did you fill out your FAFSA and send it to A&M? If so, their financial aid department should help you borrow whatever you'll need.

I've done my FAFSA, but I'm expecting the school to have kind of a low cost of tuition/expenses that will limit how much I can get. I don't know the numbers yet, but I think that I'm going to need more money.

So if I contact the financial aid department, you think I could get them to up the amount if it is too low?

Yeah, they know you'll need money to live on because even if your school lets you work, it's not enough to pay for everything. I think you're allowed to borrow a little over $30,000/yr as a graduate student and you can spend it however you want.

I'm new to this too, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it. A guy at one of my interviews asked how he was going to get by with no job and 3 kids, and this is what the school suggested.

Yeah, they know you'll need money to live on because even if your school lets you work, it's not enough to pay for everything. I think you're allowed to borrow a little over $30,000/yr as a graduate student and you can spend it however you want.

I'm new to this too, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it. A guy at one of my interviews asked how he was going to get by with no job and 3 kids, and this is what the school suggested.

Last year, the P1's got $31,000 through the school's financial aid. This comes in two around $15,000 semester disbursement. Sounds like a lot of money doesn't it! NOPE!

Tuition/ fees last year was around $7000 and is going up next year (I don't know more this year). We were also REQUIRED to buy a laptop that was $1900 through the school. You are also REQUIRED to have health insurance (if you aren't covered by your parents) and if you pay that upfront it's another $1800 I think. Books you can squeeze by with $500 if you plan ahead and order them off half.com or something. (I wouldn't recommend doing this because half of the books they said we HAD TO HAVE we never even used so it was a waste of money). If you live in JS in a 2-bedroom your rent+bills is not quite $700/month. Keep in mind you have to pay January rent before you get the next semester disbursement. If you add all that together, you are already in the negative. That doesn't include food, the nice clothes you have to buy everyday, supplies, etc.

I'd suggest you be nice to your parents. :) Get all your FAFSA's and what not done NOW so you can find out ASAP how much you will be getting. I had money saved up before I came here but honestly I don't know how other people made it without getting private loans from companies other than the school. MAKE SURE YOU APPLY FOR THE GRADUATE PLUS LOAN before you go to private loans!!!!

Good luck!

Was the $31k the estimated cost of attendance? I've been looking at various loans, and most only let you borrow the difference between cost of attendance and money the school allows you to borrow from the gov.

Before I became a student again, I once lived with my wife on about $30k a year. With that as a reference, I can't imagine how well this is going to work when 1/3 to 1/2 is going to go to school costs.

Are they seriously going to make us buy a laptop? What if we already have one?

Hello All:
First and foremost a heartfelt congratulations and welcome to the newly admitted members of the class of 2012! Secondly, we have been watching this thread for awhile now, and hadn't intended to post but the excess of inaccurate information that has recently been posted, needs clarification so bear with me….:)
Financial Aid: For the class of 2011 we got two payments one in August and one in January. That was for approximately $21,000 split into two pymts. I borrowed the additional 10,000 (the max) from the graduate plus loan. That comes in one fat check from the bank your loan is with. Tuition is going to go up, but so should our financial aid...
Javelina Station: The rent for a 2 br is NOT 700, it's 470 and month plus about 40-50 dollars a month in utilities. It is very small though and the closets are TINY. On the other hand it is very convenient to campus! Oh, and I paid thru January on my rent to avoid not having my loan money back in time and it worked just fine.
Laptop: Yes, the class of 2011 had the opportunity to buy thru the school. That seemed to be a big mess and it was very expensive. I can't say they will do the same for 2012, as it was such a big source of tension for us. I did not buy thru the school. I bought my own laptop that met the specs the school set for computers. I am glad I chose this method as it saved me quite a bit on money and headaches!
I hope that helps y'all…just want you to have the clearest info... Let me know if you have any other questions!

What are the required specs for the laptops? do you know?

Honestly, I don't really know/remember:confused:. I am not very computer lit. BUT all I had to do was add 1 gig to the laptop I already had (it's 1.5 yrs old now). SO I think you need at least 2 gigs and I know wireless for sure. The IT dept. here could give you that info tho...

"The following items are required for your file to be complete:
Notice of Acceptance from Admissions"

Did anyone hear this or anything else from the Finaid department?

Thank you for the info TAMHSCILRCOP201,

Some of your supposed classmates like to feed people info that is laced with fiction.

...and then get upset and threaten people who attempt to correct their fallacies.

I wish the school would send us some sort of information. I guess they must be waiting for all 90 spots to fill up so they can inform us all at once.

So, nobody has received any kind of message about their FAFSA? I was hoping that everyone else was getting the same thing so that I don't have to worry about calling them.

So, nobody has received any kind of message about their FAFSA? I was hoping that everyone else was getting the same thing so that I don't have to worry about calling them.

Is it possible you had the FAFSA info sent to A&M College Station and not A&M HSC (ie wrong code)?

Or maybe if you were in the second round they haven't updated the new list with the financial aid dept.

I saved a copy of my FAFSA. It was sent to TEXAS A&M UNIV SYSTEM HEALTH SCI CT (004948).

I was also accepted a few weeks ago. I believe that was the first round. They also got my deposit and forms already.

Does anyone know if Applied Music-course# 1169 (private piano lessons) along with an art class are enough to fulfill the art, theater, and music pre-req. I'm gonna e-mail them but just wondering if anyone else knows about it.

Is it possible you had the FAFSA info sent to A&M College Station and not A&M HSC (ie wrong code)?

Or maybe if you were in the second round they haven't updated the new list with the financial aid dept.

Yes they are two different codes

I saved a copy of my FAFSA. It was sent to TEXAS A&M UNIV SYSTEM HEALTH SCI CT (004948).

I was also accepted a few weeks ago. I believe that was the first round. They also got my deposit and forms already.

Dunno then... lol

I dont know why, but for some reason im really excited about the fall.:D

I must be on crack.:eek:

Speaking of crack, do they do drug tests at ILR?:laugh:

not that i do drugs or anything.....

...says the UT guy of all people.
Just so you know, genius... I have two degrees from A&M... one of which is from the Health Science Center which you are now a part of... I am and forever will be an Aggie...

"Sausage phest 2012!" LOL man! Join the FACEBOOK GROup!

Just so you know, genius... I have two degrees from A&M... one of which is from the Health Science Center which you are now a part of... I am and forever will be an Aggie...

lol...

Just wondering... how long did it take to get your DHL package after the e-mail/call of acceptance?