Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This year I'm doing what I call a practice run.

No PCAT taken, so I'm just applying to 2 cali schools, Loma Linda and UCSF, just to get good experience with the whoooole process. I do not plan on attending Fall 2010 even if I get accepted by the grace of God. I have learned a whoolle hell of a lot so far.

It's a "waste" of money yes, but if I can get an interview, the experience will be invaluable.

I'm a Texas resident, so my eyes are fixed on UT-Austin, UH, and Texas AM Fall 2011, at which time I will have finished my BS in Biochem, and a PCAT.

Is this your first merry-go-round with the app process??

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any idea where I can find info about open house dates or tours any anything like that?

I checked the website, called, and emailed. No luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed my application early December so all I do now is wait. I wish Feb comes around sooner!

Got everything taken care of. Are there really only 2 of us applying?
Nope, also applying to TAMU Rangel. Last resort. But I can't complain. What I get is what I get.

has anybody heard from A & M pharm school?

from what I've read elsewhere from others on this site, it sounds like they do not start sending interview offers until mid February.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to let you all know. There is an internship fair on the 18th of February. Therefore I would estimate the interview invites to come out either a few days before then or a little afterward. Hope that does not make the waiting that unbearable.

Look forward to meeting you all for interviews.

JUst to let you guys know, they sent out some interviews i think...I got mine today at 4:50pm and my interview is on March 4! Good luck eeryone!

I received one earlier today for March 11th. My friend received one yesterday for March 5th. Good luck to everyone!

Does any one know if in the years past they have sent out all of the invites at about the same time? or will they probably keep sending invites throughout the next week or two?

Does any one know if in the years past they have sent out all of the invites at about the same time? or will they probably keep sending invites throughout the next week or two?

The best person to msg is probably TalkingDonkey as he is a P2 at A&M according to sig. I was thinking about the process as well, but I received an invite today for March 12th. A friend of mine had her application complete in December or early January and she received her invite last week, where as mine was completed literally on the 31st of January (LOR's) and as I mentioned earlier, I received my invite today. Don't stress, I believe they will keep sending the invites for the following 2 weeks. Best of luck to all the applicants.

Finished my app around mid-January and just got an invite for March 18th. Keep your head up if you're waiting for an interview.

I emailed Ms Allen and she said that interview invitations have been sent out from Feb 12-15. She didn't tell me if those invites consist of all interview rounds. I'm worried!:(

In the past there have been a few people who do not accept their interview invitation. So that might be some help. There are approximately 250 people who interview for ~80 spots. Look at the applicant statistics on the website.

I got an interview at UT Austin and UH, but haven't heard anything from A&M. Good thing UH is my first choice!

As far as I know the Commencement/graduation is on 15 May 2010 (Irma Lerma Rangel's Birthday). I would assume it would be here. I am pretty sure it is.

The name of the school is the Texas A&M Health Science Center Irma Lerma Rangel College of Pharmacy. Sometimes this is shorted to the Rangel College of Pharmacy. The Health Science Center functions as its own arm of Texas A&M University, and includes the Baylor College of Dentistry, College of Medicine, College of Nursing, School of Rural Public Health, School of Biomedical Sciences and Institute of Biosciences and Technology.

My interview is on March 5th. I received the invitation on Feb. 12. :)

I'm getting really nervous. Can anyone tell us more about the writing topics?

Last edited:

The writing topics generally aren't very difficult. When I interviewed two years ago, the topics were generally focused on things such as "Why do you want to be a pharmacist" and "Tell us your motivation for..." type questions. I don't remember anyone having any cognitive-based questions or problem scenarios to write about. If anything, I would imagine that the writing section of the interview is meant to test an applicant's writing ability more than anything else.

--Garfield3d

The writing topics generally aren't very difficult. When I interviewed two years ago, the topics were generally focused on things such as "Why do you want to be a pharmacist" and "Tell us your motivation for..." type questions. I don't remember anyone having any cognitive-based questions or problem scenarios to write about. If anything, I would imagine that the writing section of the interview is meant to test an applicant's writing ability more than anything else.

--Garfield3d

I have my interview on march 5th also, and I was wondering about the written portion too. Thanks for your feedback! When I applied to UT they had us submit two essays.....Why pharmacy, and Why UT. It kinda sounds like that's the type of essay topics they will ask us to write about. Does that sound about right?

I have my interview on march 5th also, and I was wondering about the written portion too. Thanks for your feedback! When I applied to UT they had us submit two essays.....Why pharmacy, and Why UT. It kinda sounds like that's the type of essay topics they will ask us to write about. Does that sound about right?

I can only speak from my previous experience, but that sounds about right. The wording and topic will vary, but the intent seems to be to toss opinion/perspective type questions at applicants.

Additionally, when I applied several years back, we had to hand-write our essays. However, I think they've changed it so that applicants type their essays in a computer lab. Or, at the very least, I know they were thinking about that.

--Garfield3d

The writing portion is nothing to worry about. Really, the topic is not memorable because the point is to see what kind of writing skills you have rather than to fully answer the prompt. I would spend my time worrying mostly about the inteview portion if I were you.

So do you guys call the school the "Texas A&M School of Pharmacy" or the "Irma Lirma Rangel School of Pharmacy?"

The name of our school has recently been shortened to "Rangel College of Pharmacy".

I was wondering if anyone was flying to this location the night before and staying in a hotel or even just staying in a hotel for the interview date of March 12th. Its only 5+ hours away but due to certain courses I cant skip driving there would mean I get there by 1am...not preferred lol. Does anyone know if there is a closer airport to land at as opposed to the Corpus Christi International Airport, because the side airports like Alice and other don't seem to have any incoming flights from Continental or Southwest. Also if you will be interviewing on March 12th as well and are considering getting a taxi from the hotel, please pm me.

I was wondering if anyone was flying to this location the night before and staying in a hotel or even just staying in a hotel for the interview date of March 12th. Its only 5+ hours away but due to certain courses I cant skip driving there would mean I get there by 1am...not preferred lol. Does anyone know if there is a closer airport to land at as opposed to the Corpus Christi International Airport, because the side airports like Alice and other don't seem to have any incoming flights from Continental or Southwest. Also if you will be interviewing on March 12th as well and are considering getting a taxi from the hotel, please pm me.

You should stick with Corpus. That is probably the closest you can get.

I think I read somewhere that there's a "Kleberg County Airport" around here, but I'm not sure. I just arrived here 5 hours ago and didn't have much time to scout around. I personally just opted to take the 4 hour drive to Kingsville. Perhaps some locals on the board can confirm?

I had notified my professor almost a month ahead of time, so I was able to get leeway on the assignments that were just given. (Though, my Physics professor didn't let me have off for the exam right before my Austin interview. I arrived around 11pm, so I was in a similar situation as you, Ninjasquirrel.)

Just another 9 hours and 21 minutes before my interview starts. Thanks for settling my nerves about those writing portions! The ones at University of Houston last year made me extremely hesitant about the ones at Rangel College of Pharmacy!

To set the record straight about traveling. The closest actual airport is Corpus Christi. Do not expect shuttle services to Kingsville. I know of one person who takes a van from here to the airport but that is unusual. All the other airports Kleberg, Alice, Bishop, etc. are barely big enough to land a crop-duster let alone a 737. So either make the drive or fly into Corpus and make another drive. I know it is not convenient but there you have it.
As for hotels I remember staying at the Super 8. I have also stayed at the Best Western during pre-orientation in June. There is a newer (as of last year) Holiday Inn Express right by the IHOP. There are others but I think I have posted this before in this thread.

Hope this helps and good luck with interviews.

Good luck to everyone doing interviews today and the coming weeks. Just remember to take a deep breath, and that it's okay to pause after a question before responding.

--Garfield3d

Have an interview tomorrow:xf:...m very nervous....can anyone tell me the whole process??....and also...something about interview...I have prepared all questions but still would like to know something from u guys!!

I got a called in the evening while I was at work for tomorrow interview at 9am since someone canceled at the last minute. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it since I live so far away! Can they give you the invite less than 24 hours before the actual interview? I'm now back on the waiting list for an interview invite so hopefully someone cancel their interview early. This is depressing!:(

I got a called in the evening while I was at work for tomorrow interview at 9am since someone canceled at the last minute. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it since I live so far away! Can they give you the invite less than 24 hours before the actual interview? I'm now back on the waiting list for an interview invite so hopefully someone cancel their interview early. This is depressing!:(

Hopefully that means you're high on the list!

I had my interview in the morning! Everyone there is soooo nice! The city is not that poppin...but the campus looks extremely new and pretty. They take 10 at a time...put you in a room where one of the deans talk. You are then split into two groups (1 group of 5 goes to write a twenty minute essay about a personal opinion on a random topic...and the 2nd group goes on their interviews with faculty/pharmacists/students). Then you just switch! My room had 4 interviewers, and they were extreeeemely nice! Just smile, and be yourself! They'll make you feel at ease for you to talk about ANYTHING. After the interview...there is a Q&A with current students. It took less than 2 hours total. The questions are VERY basic questions about yourself and about teamwork.

I had my interview in the morning! Everyone there is soooo nice! The city is not that poppin...but the campus looks extremely new and pretty. They take 10 at a time...put you in a room where one of the deans talk. You are then split into two groups (1 group of 5 goes to write a twenty minute essay about a personal opinion on a random topic...and the 2nd group goes on their interviews with faculty/pharmacists/students). Then you just switch! My room had 4 interviewers, and they were extreeeemely nice! Just smile, and be yourself! They'll make you feel at ease for you to talk about ANYTHING. After the interview...there is a Q&A with current students. It took less than 2 hours total. The questions are VERY basic questions about yourself and about teamwork.

^Quoted for Truth.

I should also say that though the town is rather small, it has its charms. I for one found it very helpful in clearing up my allergies. :laugh:

The facility was extremely new and top of the line. The faculty was also able to extend help and hospitality even when they weren't quite ready for my group (Some of us arrived almost 40 minutes early. We just couldn't wait!) and accommodated us for any question we had regarding the campus, the town, or menial things such as the dress code there. (If you're used to t-shirts and jeans, forget them at home. Collared shirts and slacks only. One day of the week is "shirt and tie" day.)

They are fairly strict about time during the interview process though. I've been to a few before that allowed for some time in between groups to ensure everything runs smoothly despite someone talking too much. I usually utilize as much time as possible to sell myself to the colleges, but the knocking on the door once I reach 25 minutes was a little distracting and only served to make me antsy. Still, from everything I've seen, they are EXTREMELY EFFICIENT at what they do here, and it has only managed to make a HIGHLY positive impression upon me. Enough that I might even ignore the fact I've never lived in a place with less than 600,000 people :laugh:

As far as the essay though, it was as some of the students have said. It's really not that bad. You basically draw a question from a hat and write as you want in the Blue Book for 20 minutes. The way Dr. Robertson put it was something like: "Write it as if it were a response to an email that a friend sent. Well, don't write like you might on the internet, but the general response should be about the same." It really doesn't have to be that long, but they are looking for proper grammar, punctuation, etc.

If you've had any other interviews before though, you should feel right at home here :)

Haha, actually, the faculty outside knock when I start running out of time. That's all it was.

Personally, I haven't ranked the colleges that I've applied to, just simply because I want to see where I'm accepted first. I think by not getting my hopes up on a certain college I can avoid disappointment a bit. Still, as I said earlier, A&M made a HUGE impression on me today and has definitely become a major contender if I should be accepted there. :D

Last edited: