Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My interview is at 4 pm on the 10th. Do any of you guys know if this is the last interview of the day? Who does the group of interviewers usually consist of?

super nervous:scared:

The 4pm should be the last interview of the day because I'm suppose to talking to y'all at 5:10 and I have last Q&A session.

When I had my interview last year it consisted of 1 professor and 2 local pharmacist. It's pretty much the luck of the draw on who will be in the room with you as you could have all proffessors or a mixture of people. You could even have 4 people in the room (as some of my friends did) or you'll get 3.

Just remember during the interview to relax, they're not there to prevent you from getting into the school, they want to know more about you and all the professors are super friendly :)

Members don't see this ad.

It is more than likely the last one for the day. It just depends on whether you're split into the Essay or Interview first group.

The interviews usually consist of three people interviewing you. Some people had three professors. I had one professor, one preceptor, and one student. Sadly, that professor is no longer with us. LSUCPhT knows which one I speak of. :(

I had a professor, the owner of a nutritional supplement company, and the head of a nursing program at one of the A&M branches. It's pure luck of the draw.

Traditionally there have been 7 times more applicants than there are seats. I would not say that you have a 3/4 shot just because you interview.

Right, but doesn't A&M typically schedule the 250 best applicants for February? so then lets say you have an interview, and typically admittance is almost split evenly between males and females. with say, 87 seats open, about 43 are male and 44 female. so... 43/125 (half males interviewed) and 44/125 (half females interviewd admitted) = roughly 35% off of that alone for each gender. thats of course assuming all the ones accepted decided to attend. since that wont be the case and some will decline as Tech or UT, etc. may be their first choice, then with time your chances of being admitted goes up, as no one that is interviewed is rejected until just about August. so what happens to the rest that arent interviewd due to schedule conflicts or not being in the "top 250"?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's also assuming all 87 are picked out of the first 250, this isn't taking into consideration they put some of those interviewed on hold and would like to seek out other applicants... which im guesing does happen but not too much?

That's also assuming all 87 are picked out of the first 250, this isn't taking into consideration they put some of those interviewed on hold and would like to seek out other applicants... which im guesing does happen but not too much?

I believe they only schedule 250 applicants, those who didn't get an interview aren't getting one later in the year. The school interviews the 250 and then ranks each one of them, sends 90 acceptances (to the top 90 of course). If 4 or more decline Dr. Robertson will begin calling people until they fill up to 87 accepted students which they should be able to find in that group of 250, if they don't for some reason, I think they just cut their loses and go with however many accepted.

I believe they only schedule 250 applicants, those who didn't get an interview aren't getting one later in the year. The school interviews the 250 and then ranks each one of them, sends 90 acceptances (to the top 90 of course). If 4 or more decline Dr. Robertson will begin calling people until they fill up to 87 accepted students which they should be able to find in that group of 250, if they don't for some reason, I think they just cut their loses and go with however many accepted.

That is how I saw it as well. so yes, statistically speaking roughly 35% chance of getting in right off the bat.

Now, with that in mind, where would someone with say a PCAT score of 76 and a 3.0 undergrad GPA stand of getting in? Lets assume Rec letters are average as other applicants and an average interview score. Just about on the middle-50% of applicants that are interviewing?

If so, 250/2 = 125(gender split). and 125/2 (middle 50% of those applicants) = 62.5. so... the chances at that point of getting in are about 70%? lol

Just trying to get an idea of roughly where an average person interviewed falls....

My interview is scheduled for the 9th at 1pm!! I am excited. I am driving down there Wednesday when I get off work! :) Will anyone else be there Thursday?

I think trying to calculate odds when we don't know the official number we are accepting or the criteria for this year are is kind of jumping the gun. Not to mention, it will make some people more nervous than they already are (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE).

It really depends from person to person though. I met someone with the same qualifications as me when I applied (he applied one year after me) but managed to not get in (maybe he botched the interview?). Yet, with the same qualifications, I was one of the first people to get an acceptance letter. Your chances of getting in are what you make of it. It isn't some thing that is based on attributes or the roll of a d-20.

Also, forget about the gender split. All classes up to the class of 2014 have been predominantly men. 2015 is predominantly women. 2014's average age was 23 upon entrance. I believe 2015's is 20 or 21.

There are many factors that place one in the college, but I don't think looking at prior demographics will help much.

Same qualifications overall with pharmacy experience and everything and didn't get in the following year? That's interesting. I can see it happening, but I'm just speaking in general terms, people with the same qualifications would generally be accepted but not necessarily, as nothing is certain. But I do see your point and thank you for your insight. I think this shows that the interview may play a very important part...

Same qualifications overall with pharmacy experience and everything and didn't get in the following year? That's interesting. I can see it happening, but I'm just speaking in general terms, people with the same qualifications would generally be accepted but not necessarily, as nothing is certain. But I do see your point and thank you for your insight. I think this shows that the interview may play a very important part...

Well, he worked one year less than I did, but he did have two points on me for the PCAT (I had 72, he had 74). But I pretty much slated that as an overall same, considering I worked three years prior to entering the CoP.

General terms are a trend, but we are looking for people who aren't usually in the "trend." ;)

The interview definitely does play a large part though. I forgot the exact point breakdown, but you can probably find it in the older threads I linked on page 2 or 3...

Let's not spread assumptions. Still waiting for that interview invite!

I vaguely remember the point system being something like:
10pts for your recommendation letters
10pts for your GPA
10pts for your PCAT
10pts for your essay
35pts for your interview

There may have been another catagory in there somewhere or the points may be a bit different but that seemed about right, I just remember that the interview was worth the most points and the score was a bit off.

dont forget bonus points for being a pharm tech and other activities...

Members don't see this ad :)
wanna know what else? i'm not a pharmacy student nor am i ever applying lol. but yea.. i like to find out as much as possible about things... in this case for people i know.

It is more than likely the last one for the day. It just depends on whether you're split into the Essay or Interview first group.

The interviews usually consist of three people interviewing you. Some people had three professors. I had one professor, one preceptor, and one student. Sadly, that professor is no longer with us. LSUCPhT knows which one I speak of. :(

Thanks so much for the info! I'm going down the list of faculty members on the school website and finding out as much about them as I can. I don't know if it will help, but it kind of calm my nerves to feel like I'm doing something.

My interview is scheduled for the 9th at 1pm!! I am excited. I am driving down there Wednesday when I get off work! :) Will anyone else be there Thursday?

Good luck! Tell us how it goes when you get back. I have mine Friday. I would love to hear how the first interview of this year goes. :xf:

anyone going on the 17th? mine is at 10:30

:( *sniffle* I miss him! He was one of my interviewers too, syunfung!!! It was nice to have something in common!! hehe

I had 2 professors and one outside person (maybe a preceptor, I really can't remember). 'Twas good times.:thumbup:

The 4pm should be the last interview of the day because I'm suppose to talking to y'all at 5:10 and I have last Q&A session.

When I had my interview last year it consisted of 1 professor and 2 local pharmacist. It's pretty much the luck of the draw on who will be in the room with you as you could have all proffessors or a mixture of people. You could even have 4 people in the room (as some of my friends did) or you'll get 3.

Just remember during the interview to relax, they're not there to prevent you from getting into the school, they want to know more about you and all the professors are super friendly :)

HEY! I know who you are!!! haha.

As a current student of the TA&MHSCILRCOP, i can give this advice in the interview.
1. Get some sleep. I got a late acceptance call due to my lack of sleep for the interview.
2. Pharmacy experience is encouraged, but not required. I personally had no pharmacy experience except for reading OTC labels before I got here.

I would also say this. We interview 250 students, but you have to expect the top 10% get acceptance letters and potential scholarships and grants (bribes) from other schools as well. I got a phone call in May being accepted into school, and I know people who got phone calls all the way into June/July for acceptance.

As for the people who are ragging on our school, we are performing well for a brand new school. We do not have the years of dead weight hanging around our school. We are not in a large town full of distractions. Our students can think critically, and most of them do not seem to be extremely stressed. Our SNPhA chapter is one of the most active in the country. And we have done this all in only 6 years of being open. And our tuition and fees are significantly less than the other schools in the state.

Our SNPhA chapter is one of the most active in the country.

THAT'S RIGHT. :D (p.s. Shameless plug for http://tamsnpha.org )

By the by, I retract an earlier statement. I received word that the applicants last year were able to TYPE the essay response. Be prepared for either case or some changes to this process as they only just switched that essay process.

Our SNPhA chapter is one of the most active in the country. And we have done this all in only 6 years of being open. And our tuition and fees are significantly less than the other schools in the state.

Yes, our school is doing QUITE well. We have higher than state and national average for NAPLEX and MPJE first time pass rates. AND I must say as an officer....our SNPhA chapter is AWESOME. We are currently 3rd in the NATION and working on moving up to the top chapter by the end of the year!

Do we need to give all the organizations equal time now? :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

If you're interested in hospital pharmacy, join the Student Society of Health-system Pharmacists (SSHP). Pretty early in the academic year, we hold a clinical skills competition that lets you and a teammate rack your brain to design a simulated patient's pharmacy care plan and defend your decisions in front of a group of judges. It's good fun, you learn a lot, and it looks great on your CV. Later in the year you can compete on the state level.

American Pharmacists Association- Academy of Student Pharmacists (APhA-ASP), SNPhA, and Texas Pharmacy Association all sponsor separate patient counseling competitions throughout the year.

Each of the organizations has a large number of service learning hours available, too. P1's are required to give back to the community in the form of healthcare-related volunteering, for 30 hours. P2's need 25 hours.

You accomplish this by participating in patient screenings (blood pressure, glucose, etc), immunization clinics, patient education events, and any other number of opportunities. For the most part, these are managed by committees within each group.

We also have two professional pharmacy fraternities: Phi Delta Chi and Kappa Psi. Each has a unique history and personality.

You'll find out about all of the groups during your Q&A session on campus, but I figured this might give you a good heads up.

Join SSHP!

:smuggrin:

Each of the organizations has a large number of service learning hours available, too. P1's are required to give back to the community in the form of healthcare-related volunteering, for 30 hours. P2's need 25 hours. We also have two professional pharmacy fraternities: Phi Delta Chi and Kappa Psi. Each has a unique history and personality.

Hey, don't forget I'm also in SSHP. I just happen to be an officer of SNPhA.

There are many organizations that are in the school. Each serves a different purpose and each is great if they serve your purposes. For example, if you want to do community pharmacy, NCPA would be right up your alley.

Perhaps you are worried about the representation of different cultures in pharmacy. One of SNPhA's missions is to address that representation. The Cultural Diversity Committee is also concerned with this (though honestly, given how it was run last year, I hope next year y'all will bring it back to form.) and uses money granted by Walgreens each year to serve the community.

As far as Kappa Psi and Phi Delta Chi go, LSUCPhT, PiffTheDragon, and PharmB are part of Phi Delta Chi. AlphaAdrenergic and myself are part of Kappa Psi. All of us can assure you these are professional fraternities and not like those undergraduate, "Animal House"-esque fraternities. We do not tolerate that sort of thing and it would not be in anyone's interest. In a way, both are sort of like family away from home (given the remote location of the school). Each is unique, but the dynamics change year to year. Be sure to go out to the Rush Events and get to know us (I want a little! ;))!

Keep in mind that they may send out 250 interview invites at once but not everyone will accept or they may cancel at the last minute. So they may send more invites after the February interviews so that at least a total of 250 applicants are actually interviewed.

I would like to add that if you have not received an interview yet don't despair. I, myself, did not receive an invite last year until early March (the 4th to be exact). My interview was on March 24. I was one of the last ones to be interviewed and was accepted on March 30. I remember the day like it was yesterday! Got that call from Dr Robertson! So keep your chins up!

Also, for those preparing for the interview just be yourself and try to relax. I was interviewed by 3 people, which consisted of a professor, a pharmacist, and a MD. And I remember our essay was written not typed. Not sure if that will be the same this year. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Keep in mind that they may send out 250 interview invites at once but not everyone will accept or they may cancel at the last minute. So they may send more invites after the February interviews so that at least a total of 250 applicants are actually interviewed.

I would like to add that if you have not received an interview yet don't despair. I, myself, did not receive an invite last year until early March (the 4th to be exact). My interview was on March 24. I was one of the last ones to be interviewed and was accepted on March 30. I remember the day like it was yesterday! Got that call from Dr Robertson! So keep your chins up!

Also, for those preparing for the interview just be yourself and try to relax. I was interviewed by 3 people, which consisted of a professor, a pharmacist, and a MD. And I remember our essay was written not typed. Not sure if that will be the same this year. Good Luck!

I remember helping you last year!! Now to figure out who you really are. ;) haha

I agree with velvet! Don't despair! I got phone calls directly from Dr. Robertson for both my interview AND acceptance. I found out in late April, but my class had interviews a month later than they have them these days.

Let's hear from you guys..what questions do you have for us? Or do you enjoy just watching us banter back and forth? lol

Let's hear from you guys..what questions do you have for us? Or do you enjoy just watching us banter back and forth? lol

I certainly enjoy just watching us banter back and forth. We don't do that quite enough these days.

I certainly enjoy just watching us banter back and forth. We don't do that quite enough these days.

Thanks for the insight you guys!! I really hope I get an interview! :)

Here's something interesting I discovered. Back in 2007, 77 seats were filled in, and 143 acceptance letters had been sent out. Assuming 250 were interviewed... roughly 57% of those interviewed received an acceptance letter. Of course some rejected which is why so many letters were sent out. 604 Applications were received for that year. This just adds on the other calculations I have performed... Does this mean 66 people will send rejection letters not wanting to attend a&m? No. but just something interesting to note. Therefore, there is hope for those that receive an interview. Good Luck to you that will, and for those that haven't received an invitation yet, be patient...hope remains!

I would like to add that Dr. Robertson has told me on many occasions (and I've heard from other classmates, myself included) that people typically go into the interview day at A&M with A&M being 2nd or 3rd on their preferences. After interview day, we are their 1st choice. I have to say I agree with this. It happens often. So, those of you that gave up interviews with our school, you just might be missing out. :thumbup:

Also, remember in 2007 our school had yet to even graduate its first class. Some people may have been more hesitant back then about attending. We are a new school on the rise, and mighty quickly in my opinion. Our first class had a pass rate on the NAPLEX and MPJE of 93.06% and 94.12%, respectively. Our 2nd class had a pass rate of and 96.06% and 98.41%, respectively. These are FIRST ATTEMPT pass rates. All of them being above STATE and NATIONAL averages. Just sayin'

So I was looking at cost of attendance and it's quoted at around 6,700 for P1's. Is that for a semester or for the year? If that's for the year, then it is ridiculous. I think at all other TX schools you have to pay that much for a semester.

So I was looking at cost of attendance and it's quoted at around 6,700 for P1's. Is that for a semester or for the year? If that's for the year, then it is ridiculous. I think at all other TX schools you have to pay that much for a semester.

No, that's per semester. And as far as I know, other school are way more expensive than that. We MAY be looking at a tuition increase in the school year of 2013-2014, but that has yet to be determined. We have a town hall meeting about it soon.

No, that's per semester. And as far as I know, other school are way more expensive than that. We MAY be looking at a tuition increase in the school year of 2013-2014, but that has yet to be determined. We have a town hall meeting about it soon.

the proposed tuition increase is about $440 per semester

I would like to add that Dr. Robertson has told me on many occasions (and I've heard from other classmates, myself included) that people typically go into the interview day at A&M with A&M being 2nd or 3rd on their preferences. After interview day, we are their 1st choice. I have to say I agree with this. It happens often. So, those of you that gave up interviews with our school, you just might be missing out. :thumbup:

Also, remember in 2007 our school had yet to even graduate its first class. Some people may have been more hesitant back then about attending. We are a new school on the rise, and mighty quickly in my opinion. Our first class had a pass rate on the NAPLEX and MPJE of 93.06% and 94.12%, respectively. Our 2nd class had a pass rate of and 96.06% and 98.41%, respectively. These are FIRST ATTEMPT pass rates. All of them being above STATE and NATIONAL averages. Just sayin'

I'm going to agree here. I hadn't heard much about the school when I first applied and later did some research. The friendly attitudes of the faculty and staff when I first contacted the office for admissions boosted it in my personal rankings, and when I came here, it basically supplanted my initial first choice (which was to stay at home at UH). I don't regret this at all.

The interview is not just a matter of seeing if the student is right for the school; it's also about seeing if the school is right for the student. If you don't go to an interview simply because you have an interview somewhere else you initially prefer or because you had an acceptance somewhere else, you may be losing an opportunity.

This is, after all, about where you'll be spending the next four years of your life...

As the rest have said, that price is for tuition per semester as of currently. The increases should not occur until two years from now, from what I understand. Personally, that increase is NOTHING compared to how much my undergraduate fees and tuition went up.

University of Houston's Pre-Pharmacy Association had the pleasure of touring the campus with Ms. de Leon and I recall that the essay portion would be done in one of the small rooms on the second floor, right hand side as you walk up the spiral staircase. I want to say that it will be done electronically, but I cannot recall 100%.

Dr. Robertson is an amazing individual. Hoping to receive an interview invite and make my 3rd trip down to Kingsville!

I was informed that there is a proposed 50% increase in tuition, but you all have a townhall meeting to discuss this matter at hand. Keep us posted!

Thank you guys for taking time to provide information about what to expect with interviews and information about TA&MHSCILRCOP! Hope I can meet you guys if I am in town!

Last edited:
University of Houston's Pre-Pharmacy Association had the pleasure of touring the campus with Ms. de Leon and I recall that the essay portion would be done in one of the small rooms on the second floor, right hand side as you walk up the spiral staircase. I want to say that it will be done electronically, but I cannot recall 100%.

Dr. Robertson is an amazing individual. Hoping to receive an interview invite and make my 3rd trip down to Kingsville!

I was informed that there is a proposed 50% increase in tuition, but you all have a townhall meeting to discuss this matter at hand. Keep us posted!

Thank you guys for taking time to provide information about what to expect with interviews and information about TA&MHSCILRCOP! Hope I can meet you guys if I am in town!

I'm sure you'll do fine. You're an officer there right? I was one of the past webmasters for the UH PPA.

I wish I could've been there when y'all came by. P2s were on rounds. It would've been my first time seeing Nekesa in awhile if I'd made it. :/

Well, as I said, I heard it was electronic, but I myself did it by hand, so you should be prepared for either situation.

I'm still concerned! I have an interview the 10th at 2:30 BUT they sent out my invite before checking that I have completed all my rec forms -_-... soo I'm not sure if all the forms will get in by this Friday. Does that mean I get disqualified or something or do I have until a certain time to get all the rec letters in?

I'm sure you'll do fine. You're an officer there right? I was one of the past webmasters for the UH PPA.

I wish I could've been there when y'all came by. P2s were on rounds. It would've been my first time seeing Nekesa in awhile if I'd made it. :/

Well, as I said, I heard it was electronic, but I myself did it by hand, so you should be prepared for either situation.

Yes, I am the acting president for UHPPA. It's great to hear that old officers are able to successfully continue their path toward pharmacy. If I do get an interview, I will be sure to find you guys and introduce myself to you all.

Thank you, again! Good luck to everyone! :)

I believe they only schedule 250 applicants, those who didn't get an interview aren't getting one later in the year.

This is not true. Sadly, TAMHSCILRCOP is considered a backup for many future pharmacy students as they wait for decisions from schools like UT-Austin and Texas Tech.

Last year, many people did not accept their invitation and Dr. Robertson did not like the pool of students still waiting on the waiting list. Therefore, he extended invitations to people who were NOT interviewed to be interviewed and a few ended up getting accepted afterwards.

Last year, many people did not accept their invitation and Dr. Robertson did not like the pool of students still waiting on the waiting list. Therefore, he extended invitations to people who were NOT interviewed to be interviewed and a few ended up getting accepted afterwards.

This would adversely affect my estimated calculations... how many is "a few"? about 10? But this is good news for those still awaiting to hear back for an interview :D.. I wonder what was not to like from those on the waiting list....hmm... :confused:

Hello, this is my first time posting, although I have been reading the recent posts, for those who have not gotten an interview do not despair, I got called by Dr. Robertson around 8 PM last night to interview tomorrow at 1 PM, it's last minute, but I am still very excited!!

Hello, this is my first time posting, although I have been reading the recent posts, for those who have not gotten an interview do not despair, I got called by Dr. Robertson around 8 PM last night to interview tomorrow at 1 PM, it's last minute, but I am still very excited!!

like a boss

Anyone interviewing here tomorrow at 9!? *raise hand* I'm ready for this school to wow me!

This is not true. Sadly, TAMHSCILRCOP is considered a backup for many future pharmacy students as they wait for decisions from schools like UT-Austin and Texas Tech.

I would be completely lying if I said that I wasn't completely insulted by your comment. Did you not read my last post about the success of the students at our pharmacy school? I think that it's very unprofessional of you to assume that a lot of people have Texas A&M as their "backup school." I interviewed at UT, UofH and A&M (I didn't even apply to Tech, TSU or Incarnate Word). After interviews, I decided that Texas A&M was where I belonged. They made me feel very welcome and I just knew this is where I needed to be. We may be a young school, but that means absolutely nothing. There are plenty things that A&M offers that other schools do not. I am proud to be a student at TAMHSCILRCOP, the success, and the promising future of our school.