Texas academic fresh start question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Once you are accepted as a student, post-bacc or traditional, there should not be any preferential treatment for undergrads over post-bacc since you are paying tuition same as trad. students. As you may know, registering for classes are first come first serve. Popular classes fill up quickly.
This 100% depends on the school. I'm registered at a large state University that has different registration dates depending on the number of credits you have. That way, the seniors have first pick at the classes they need to graduate without worrying that a sophomore is stealing the seats.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Which school did you get into as a second bachelor's candidate? UNT Dallas apparently isn't having it. That was my plan, to major in something and complete what's needed, but UNT Dallas is shooting that idea down. They may force my to do it all in Houston, regardless of which location we prefer after our upcoming visit.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm still technically living out of state so the school won't help. However, what I did originally was applied and registered as a non-degree seeking student. The issue was what I said above... classes I needed/wanted (biochem, microbio, A&P, etc.) filled up rapidly, before I was able to register for them because I had the last registration start date. So, I reapplied as a degree seeking student (with no intent to actually get the degree) and now that I have 150+ credits, I am in the first registration window. Is UNT Dallas your only option in Dallas?

I'm still technically living out of state so the school won't help. However, what I did originally was applied and registered as a non-degree seeking student. The issue was what I said above... classes I needed/wanted (biochem, microbio, A&P, etc.) filled up rapidly, before I was able to register for them because I had the last registration start date. So, I reapplied as a degree seeking student (with no intent to actually get the degree) and now that I have 150+ credits, I am in the first registration window. Is UNT Dallas your only option in Dallas?

Ah okay, good point. I keep forgetting that you're not in TX quite yet.

I can take all of the courses I need at the CC level, except for Biochem and Genetics. I want to at least take Organic Chem and Stats at the university level, because TX A&M's med school doesn't accept those two courses if taken at a CC. I'd hate to get that far into it and not be able to gain entry into a specific course that I need. Time is of the essence!

UNT Dallas isn't the only option and I have to remember that. I'm just a little tired of contacting schools about their policies. I think I'm going to take a break on my school research and just focus on the courses I'm about to start taking. I am certain I'll find at least one university that will accept me as an undergraduate student when the time comes. I feel like if I keep focusing on covering every single detail in my plan, I'll never feel comfortable enough to make the move to TX. We're doing this, and I'll certainly be able to figure out that last detail down the road.

Online English 101 starts on July 3rd. I shouldn't be nervous about such a simple class, but I will be working full-time and this officially marks the beginning of my journey to become a physician. It's one thing to plan and another to work the plan. Here goes!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like if I keep focusing on covering every single detail in my plan, I'll never feel comfortable enough to make the move to TX. We're doing this, and I'll certainly be able to figure out that last detail down the road.!

Agreed. In the army, we say that, "no plan survives first contact." In other words, as soon as you start executing your plan, everything is going to change. Life is like that. My plan has survived major readjustments AT LEAST ten times since I started on this journey two years ago (most recently thanks to you... LOL).

Online English 101 starts on July 3rd. I shouldn't be nervous about such a simple class, but I will be working full-time and this officially marls the beginning of my journey to become a physician. It's one thing to plan and another to work the plan. Here goes!

I'm a big fan of inspiring quotes. In the words of General Patton, "a good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." I am a huge planner, but I've come to realize that there's no such thing as a perfect plan. Get out there, destroy that English 101 course, and before you know it, you'll be at your own white coat ceremony. Good luck! (I'll keep you posted if/when there's any issues with the FS and/or TMDSAS application process.)

Agreed. In the army, we say that, "no plan survives first contact." In other words, as soon as you start executing your plan, everything is going to change. Life is like that. My plan has survived major readjustments AT LEAST ten times since I started on this journey two years ago (most recently thanks to you... LOL).

I'm a big fan of inspiring quotes. In the words of General Patton, "a good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." I am a huge planner, but I've come to realize that there's no such thing as a perfect plan. Get out there, destroy that English 101 course, and before you know it, you'll be at your own white coat ceremony. Good luck! (I'll keep you posted if/when there's any issues with the FS and/or TMDSAS application process.)

Agreed! It's just time to get started and let everything fall into place and/or adjust as needed along the way. I am admittedly a big-time perfectionist. There's certainly a point of diminishing returns. I believe I've reached that point.

Thanks for the encouraging words!! English 101 time!

Quick question for anyone who's ever lived in Houston. What are these thunderstorms like? Last all day, or typically come and go? Forecast this coming week shows scattered showers as well as thunder and lightning symbols. Of course, we'll be in town just in time to witness it, haha!

Unfortunately, both. Changes every 5 minutes. At least the rain will "cool" down some of the oppressive heat.

I'd almost rather it didn't rain so we could see how it feels with the heat and humidity and nothing stopping it.

Last edited:
"Cool" down is relative. It will actually add to the humidity. You'll likely take 2-3 showers a day while visiting Houston. I avg 4 a day.
That is why UWSOM is my top choice outside TX.

"Cool" down is relative. It will actually add to the humidity. You'll likely take 2-3 showers a day while visiting Houston. I avg 4 a day.
That is why UWSOM is my top choice outside TX.

Got you. The Fall and Winter here are the pits. Just gray....gray all day every day. We may go on this trip and hate the heat, which is why we need to go. I doubt I'll feel any way but in heaven though. I'm so tired of the cold and gray skies. Washington is beautiful in the Spring and Summer though, no question.

Yeah. I've been to Washington during summer. Love it there with the 4 seasons. Only 2 in Houston: Summer Beta and Summer 2.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I've been to Washington during summer. Love it there with the 4 seasons. Only 2 in Houston: Summer Beta and Summer 2.0.

Haha!!! I like your description of the seasons. I've got a good friend here from Syracuse who insists that we have two seasons in Washington: Fall and Spring.

Grass is always greener. I actually own a house in Olympia but I live in AZ. I miss the gray and cold of WA like you would not believe... 115 here today. I think Dallas is the perfect median.

That's the truth! Grass is always greener. Pesky humans man, haha!!

Olympia is nice. 115 is screaming! I went to UNLV for undergrad and 117 was the highest temp I experienced there. Baking!

So we're in Houston. Spent today working out, walking through the Galleria area, resting after catching a 12:30 AM flight and checking out Houston communities.

I really, really like Houston so far. Sugar Land is really nice for a guy my age with a wife and three children. Missouri City was nice as well, but a bit rough around the edges and maybe too close to one of the grimy parts of Houston (SW Houston). Pearland was cool too, but kinda far out to the east and didn't speak to me as much as Sugar Land did.

Tomorrow we hit the Space Center, Galveston Beach and basically make it a day for the kids.

We drive up to Dallas on Saturday morning and will check out The Woodlands and the surrounding areas before our journey to Big D, though I'm not sure if we like that area as much compared to the southern Houston suburbs.

Last edited:
So we're in Houston. Spent today working out, walking through the Galleria area, resting after catching a 12:30 AM flight and checking out Houston communities.

I really, really like Houston so far. Sugar Land is really nice for a guy my age with a wife and three children. Missouri City was nice as well, but a bit rough around the edges and maybe too close to one of the grimy parts of Houston (SW Houston). Pearland was cool too, but kinda far out to the east and didn't speak to me as much as Sugar Land did.

Tomorrow we hit the Space Center, Galveston Beach and basically make it a day for the kids.

We drive up to Dallas on Saturday morning and will check out The Woodlands and the surrounding areas before our journey to Big D, though I'm not sure if we like that area as much compared to the southern Houston suburbs.

Make sure to drive through the medical center too! I'm guessing you're going to visit north Dallas? How do you decide what part of town to visit?

Academic Fresh Starts are only for in-state residents, correct?

If so, are there any other states that have this?
I'm in California and I can't seem to find programs with an Academic Fresh Start.

Make sure to drive through the medical center too! I'm guessing you're going to visit north Dallas? How do you decide what part of town to visit?

We drove around the medical center, but tomorrow we will drive directly through it so that I can take it in. Thanks for the reminder! Didn't drive by any of the CCs or UH, though my wife did spot UH from the freeway on the way to Galveston.

The entire city has just been amazing!!! Amazing! Galveston Beach was dope and then the NASA Space Center was so much fun. We just finished eating at Pappadeaux (BOMB!) and would highly recommend that to anyone visiting Houston. Good eating man!

Yeah, we're staying in Addison/Galleria area in North Dallas.

To decide on parts of town to visit, I just googled a bunch and found must-do activities in Houston and Dallas. As far as suburbs/cities in the area, I did a bunch of research on Area Vibes, Sterling's Best Places, Movito, Niche, etc. Basically, I just tried to figure out as best as possible what areas were safe, good for families, close enough to schools and had good school districts for our children.

Sorry if I already replied to this. I feel like maybe I did, but I know it wasn't thorough if I did happen to reply before now.

At this point, it will be very difficult for Dallas to sway us. Houston is so diverse. I've seen every ethnicity at ever location visited on this trip. Weather is nice (humidity doesn't bug us at all), people are nice, city is huge with so much to do for families and adults on their own. Honestly, could not have asked for a better experience in Houston.

Excited for Dallas tomorrow, but I don't know man. We may be a Houston family very soon, haha!!

What you will find is that Houston is > Dallas but DFW absolutely stomps all of Harris county in terms of things to do, people, and weather for sure. We are the largest metropolitan area in Texas and the 4th largest in the US (only NY, LA and Chicago are larger). The resources and diversity of DFW rival any metropolitan area in the country.

What you will find is that Houston is > Dallas but DFW absolutely stomps all of Harris county in terms of things to do, people, and weather for sure. We are the largest metropolitan area in Texas and the 4th largest in the US (only NY, LA and Chicago are larger). The resources and diversity of DFW rival any metropolitan area in the country.

It's gonna be a difficult choice isn't it? Haha!!

What makes you say Houston is > Dallas?

Houston is indeed diverse and it's known for its great food!

Remember, summer just started so you haven't felt the heat or humidity yet. No doubt there will be weeks of 100+ degree weather. If you like parks, you can't really appreciate the beauty of Hermann Park by driving up and down Fannin Street. I went to that Body Worlds exhibit back in February and had fun just walking around Hermann Park and enjoying the view and garden.

I like Rice Village a lot and University blvd. is a beautiful street to drive on and see a bit of Rice University. You'll hit the main artery (Main street and Fannin) if you go down this way. If you end up living in Houston and volunteering at one of the hospitals, Houston Methodist will probably one of the most impressive hospitals you'll ever see. It's just so grand inside and the restaurants inside are decent too lol. You're going on a Saturday weekend, so I'm willing to bet there won't be much activity in the medical center. The sight is very different during a busy morning. You'll most likely see an older doctor pull out of the garage in a Ferrari come evening. I always enjoy that part of the day lol. Houston has no shortages of exotic cars. When I was working/volunteering there, it was awesome being able to talk to so many residents/students and share experiences. They are everywhere due to the medical schools just down the street.

If you want a recommendation for food, Tacos A Go Go (in Midtown) is still my favorite taco place for some cheap and decent grub. It's just north of the medical center if you want to check it out. UH has a nice campus, but the area around there is shabby and nothing to write about. I would skip it if you're in a time crunch. However, it's easy access to the highway if you want to just drive through it.

Houston is indeed diverse and it's known for its great food!

Remember, summer just started so you haven't felt the heat or humidity yet. No doubt there will be weeks of 100+ degree weather. If you like parks, you can't really appreciate the beauty of Hermann Park by driving up and down Fannin Street. I went to that Body Worlds exhibit back in February and had fun just walking around Hermann Park and enjoying the view and garden.

I like Rice Village a lot and University blvd. is a beautiful street to drive on and see a bit of Rice University. You'll hit the main artery (Main street and Fannin) if you go down this way. If you end up living in Houston and volunteering at one of the hospitals, Houston Methodist will probably one of the most impressive hospitals you'll ever see. It's just so grand inside and the restaurants inside are decent too lol. You're going on a Saturday weekend, so I'm willing to bet there won't be much activity in the medical center. The sight is very different during a busy morning. You'll most likely see an older doctor pull out of the garage in a Ferrari come evening. I always enjoy that part of the day lol. Houston has no shortages of exotic cars. When I was working/volunteering there, it was awesome being able to talk to so many residents/students and share experiences. They are everywhere due to the medical schools just down the street.

If you want a recommendation for food, Tacos A Go Go (in Midtown) is still my favorite taco place for some cheap and decent grub. It's just north of the medical center if you want to check it out. UH has a nice campus, but the area around there is shabby and nothing to write about. I would skip it if you're in a time crunch. However, it's easy access to the highway if you want to just drive through it.

Thanks for all of the tips! We're gonna do a quick drive thru and then head to Dallas early. My wife doesn't even wanna go to Dallas after these past two days in Houston, haha!!

Life moves a bit slower in DFW (metroplex, perhaps not Dallas itself) and I enjoy the open roads of DFW more than Houston.

Honestly, it's a product of geography, Houston just couldn't spread out as much as DFW could so they lump a bunch of stuff closer together and you get "more stuff in a smaller area" basically. Dallas on the other hand, doesn't have as much "stuff" in it's geographical boundary because of the way DFW is spread out. So different "arms" of the metroplex hold different things to do, whereas in Houston everything is more centrally located. Whatever you find in Houston, you might not find in Dallas itself, but you are likely to find 2 or 3 or more of that "thing" in the metroplex in general.

Honestly, it's a product of geography, Houston just couldn't spread out as much as DFW could so they lump a bunch of stuff closer together and you get "more stuff in a smaller area" basically. Dallas on the other hand, doesn't have as much "stuff" in it's geographical boundary because of the way DFW is spread out. So different "arms" of the metroplex hold different things to do, whereas in Houston everything is more centrally located. Whatever you find in Houston, you might not find in Dallas itself, but you are likely to find 2 or 3 or more of that "thing" in the metroplex in general.

Lol, I had a paragraph explaining exactly what you said, but your thoughts are way more concise. I agree completely. It wouldn't be strange to make trips all around the metroplex for different things. I went from Fort Worth to Carrollton (north Dallas) today for some of the Asian shops.

Got you! Thanks for the clarification!

@drdakdoc How's Dallas treating you?

Hey!!

We made our way back to Washington late Sunday night after a short stint in Dallas. We never actually made it to the city center. We got into Dallas around 2:30 PM on Saturday but then went straight to Six Flags until late and called it a night. I hung out with an old friend until 2 AM and that was that.

The next day we went to Sherman to visit my wife's family. That's where her mother, aunts and uncles are from so we spent some time there before heading back to Houston to catch our flight. I really had no idea we'd arrive to Dallas so late, but we had so much fun in Houston that everyone slept in and we got a late start Saturday morning when driving up to Dallas.

Plano was exceptionally beautiful. My wife really dug it, as did I. Plano, Sugar Land, Pearland and Sienna Plantation are all on the short list. We have no idea how to choose, haha. We figured it would be much easier to make the decision, but it won't be.

We both fell in love with Houston instantly, Galveston Beach was so much fun and Houston overall just felt like home. Add in the TMC and the fact that we like the humidity and it seems like a no-brainer.

On the other hand, Dallas is an amazing city. Plano is a lot larger than the suburbs we looked at in Houston with a lot more great schools to choose from. The fact that we have family near Dallas and I have a close friend in Dallas is also a factor. Not being able to experience the city center sucks, but we did see it from the highway, whatever that equates to haha!

To be honest, I'm stuck. Both areas have multiple schools that we can attend for pre-med in close proximity. Both have good schools, safe environments, diverse communities and things to do all over. We loved the weather and do understand that it will be hotter in July/August, but we're cool with that too.

My wife is a teacher. She's good with either location. I'm in sales and can easily find a job in my field in either area as well. I'm trying to determine if there are any major differences that would make one stand out from the other that we might've missed. Basically, we're happy either way. It'll probably come down to schools, zoning, where my wife finds a job first and picking one out of a hat. At this point, we see no definitive advantage to either city.

It was a beautiful and exciting experience. We had a lot of fun and cannot wait to move! Now, we just need to figure out where we're moving to.

EDIT: My wife just said Houston. I asked why. She said there's no way to really explain it, it's just the spot that feels right.

Last edited:
Anyone have input on natural disasters in Dallas vs Houston (flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc)? Flooding especially seems to be a huge deal in both cities, more so in Houston.

Summer is hurricane season in H-Town. Flooding is particularly bad inside the beltway (I-610). If you end up in Sugarland, it wont be bad as far as flooding is concern. Sudden summer storms do produce tornadoes, but it's something you will get used to.

Last edited:
Houston is pretty much guaranteed, certain death, but maybe I'm biased :pirate:

DFW has our fair share of tornadoes and hailstorms but when hurricanes come we just sit back and watch the news since it never impacts us other than saving on the sprinkler bill :D

Houston is pretty much guaranteed, certain death, but maybe I'm biased :pirate:

DFW has our fair share of tornadoes and hailstorms but when hurricanes come we just sit back and watch the news since it never impacts us other than saving on the sprinkler bill :D

Aw man, haha!!! Don't scare me, brother! In all seriousness, I've been watching youtube videos and reading articles about flooding and other disastrous weather in both locations. Houston seems to have it worse. We really liked Houston though. Decisions, decisions...

EDIT: Found FEMA's interactive flood map. Makes it much easier to determine what type of flood zone a given address is in. Doesn't guarantee your property won't fall victim, but then nothing is guaranteed. I'll take less than a 6% chance over 30 years all day.

Last edited:
That's why flood insurance exists.

That's why flood insurance exists.

Yep! The map lets you know where floods are less likely to happen, which also corresponds with where flood insurance is least expensive. I'm actually glad that I looked into it. We may have just moved wherever we found an affordable, nice place.

Did you check out Katy? Pretty nice area, burbs..
You can attend HCC, even take some of their online courses (transcript does not state online)...then transfer to UHV in Katy and apply for the TFS...

Did you check out Katy? Pretty nice area, burbs..
You can attend HCC, even take some of their online courses (transcript does not state online)...then transfer to UHV in Katy and apply for the TFS...

Katy actually ended up being my wife's favorite location when the school, crime, and other data all got factored in! Good call! Hurricane Harvey really messed with my wife's head, so now I don't know what the plan is in terms of Houston vs DFW.

English 101 went very well and Gen Chem + 2 elective courses are coming up in less than a week!!

Update!

Two full years later, here I am! We moved to Houston last year and things have been hectic, but good. I literally just got word from Richland College in Dallas that my AFS designation was approved and it is officially on my transcript. They did not note the year and term, but I emailed them to see if this can be added and will just trust it can all be worked out with TMDSAS and Richland College in the long run. I took a simple elective to fulfill the AFS requirement, and finished that course in 4 weeks since all modules were open, so it's done!

Currently taking Ochem 1, Bio 2, and a few electives. First full-time semester and it's going well. Ochem is BUSY, but I enjoy it so far! I am definitely much more of a chemistry guy than a bio guy. I've got Ochem 2 and Physics 2 next term, Biochem next Fall, then MCAT and application May of 2021.

Been a long, long road with much more to go, but I'm getting there. All A's since getting started back in 2017, so, fingers crossed for continued success in courses, volunteering, and the pre-med/family balancing act. I hope everyone is doing well and getting what they want out of life. Thank you all, again, for participating in this thread and being so helpful and open. This is a great, great thread.

Reactions: 2 users
Update!

Two full years later, here I am! We moved to Houston last year and things have been hectic, but good. I literally just got word from Richland College in Dallas that my AFS designation was approved and it is officially on my transcript. They did not note the year and term, but I emailed them to see if this can be added and will just trust it can all be worked out with TMDSAS and Richland College in the long run. I took a simple elective to fulfill the AFS requirement, and finished that course in 4 weeks since all modules were open, so it's done!

Currently taking Ochem 1, Bio 2, and a few electives. First full-time semester and it's going well. Ochem is BUSY, but I enjoy it so far! I am definitely much more of a chemistry guy than a bio guy. I've got Ochem 2 and Physics 2 next term, Biochem next Fall, then MCAT and application May of 2021.

Been a long, long road with much more to go, but I'm getting there. All A's since getting started back in 2017, so, fingers crossed for continued success in courses, volunteering, and the pre-med/family balancing act. I hope everyone is doing well and getting what they want out of life. Thank you all, again, for participating in this thread and being so helpful and open. This is a great, great thread.

Great job my friend, before you know it you will be filling out the application and it is a really nice feeling going into the cycle with a stellar GPA.

Great job my friend, before you know it you will be filling out the application and it is a really nice feeling going into the cycle with a stellar GPA.

I appreciate that brotha! Just gotta make it through this nutty Bio 2 professor's course, haha! Oh, and this minor exam called the MCAT, haha!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Update!

Glad to hear of some more people utilizing the AFS. I remember some time ago my plan was to finish out close to a decade of active duty service after switching to respiratory therapy then start out in San Antonio utilizing the AFS from courses clear back to 2009. Fortunately other opportunities came my way I could not pass up. Keep up that GPA and let us know once the time comes when you get that Medical School Acceptance. Congrats again on your journey!

Glad to hear of some more people utilizing the AFS. I remember some time ago my plan was to finish out close to a decade of active duty service after switching to respiratory therapy then start out in San Antonio utilizing the AFS from courses clear back to 2009. Fortunately other opportunities came my way I could not pass up. Keep up that GPA and let us know once the time comes when you get that Medical School Acceptance. Congrats again on your journey!

I appreciate your kind words! I will absolutely let the SDN family know how things shake out long-term. I'm currently wrapping up o-chem 2 and an a&p course that are going very well. A's pretty much in the bag, although I admit that I finally do get the o-chem angst folks frequently speak of. Synthesis can be made quite simple, or frustratingly impossible, depending on your professor. Mine is fairly reasonable, but things are getting hairy lately.

Just biochem and physics 2 to go! Struggling with whether to split up physics and biochem between summer and fall, or take both during the fall and start MCAT content review in other subjects this summer. Home stretch, though!

Last edited:
On an AFS note, I ended up getting a letter from the Dean of admissions that specified the year and term that I was admitted under AFS, including the statute code and whatnot. Worst case, I will need him to send a new copy with a more current date at the time of admission, but everything is looking square in the AFS department. I need to slaughter biochem and the MCAT. Nerves are starting to kick in. Can't lie about that...