Texas PT School Apps 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait list for me as well...hopefully spots will open for us!!
Have you been accepted to any other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got placed as an Alternate with TWU-Houston. I received a letter in the mail over the weekend. I think it was mailed out last week around the 18th from Mary Beth. I accepted and signed my alternate position form and emailed back to Mary Beth. Hope I can get in!

Reactions: 1 user
How are you guys going to find roommates and apartments? This will be my first time moving away from home and I am little ignorant about these things.
Are you going to UTMB?!

I got accepted into UTMB but I also got accepted into TWU and I still haven't decided where I want to go. I intend to go to the TWU open house to make my final decision. So far I am leaning more towards UTMB but I feel like I can't make a final decision without visiting both schools. Kinda sucks that TWU doesn't have interviews.
I got accepted to twu and utsw and I chose to decline twus offer. I decided to not attend the open forum and let twu choose someone else. I'm kinda sad that TWU didn't interview but I went with my gut and chose to attend my dream school. That was the school I've always wanted to go since I learned about pt and it was the best choice for me. Location was not a factor in my case, it was just based on personal preference. It is not the case for you and I hope you make the right decision for you. I'm curious who you are since we both graduated in the same class at our university! Pm me!

I got accepted to twu and utsw and I chose to decline twus offer. I decided to not attend the open forum and let twu choose someone else. I'm kinda sad that TWU didn't interview but I went with my gut and chose to attend my dream school. That was the school I've always wanted to go since I learned about pt and it was the best choice for me. Location was not a factor in my case, it was just based on personal preference. It is not the case for you and I hope you make the right decision for you. I'm curious who you are since we both graduated in the same class at our university! Pm me!

Why is UTSW your dream school?

Has anyone heard from UNTHSC yet? And is there anyone else still waiting for St. Augustine to send them their login?? :(

Why is UTSW your dream school?
That is a question that requires a long explanation, so To be continued... (just got home from work) lol This will stay here forever, so I want to be thorough with the explanation. :)

Last edited:
Need some advice!

Today, I got an email saying that I've been accepted to UTMB. I got accepted to Angelo State about a month ago and this was my first choice since the beginning because of the small class size and what not, so I thought I was set. Honestly, I never really thought I would get into UTMB, so after I interviewed there, I didn't really expect to hear back so soon (I interviewed Dec. 17th). I know that UTMB has a large class and I have been told that they share their cadaver lab and other resources with PA and nursing students. At Angelo State, they dissect every day and only have like 4-5 people per tank (when it comes to Anatomy). This seems like it would be really beneficial for someone like me who doesn't have a super strong science background (I majored in Psyc). Does anyone know more about UTMB's program? As in, does sharing facilities seem to serve as a hindrance? I'm leaning towards UTMB, but I just wanted to know if anyone has any insight on this subject.

Thanks in advance and congrats to all those who have been accepted! For those of you still waiting, good luck!

I was in a similar situation. I got into UTSW and I heard they share the cadaver lab with PA and med students, but it was my first choice since I applied. Then 2 months later I got into TWU and I heard that they don't share the cadaver lab. They're both around the same class size so that wasn't the issue. But I went with my gut and I chose UTSW. Now... if you prefer a small class size as opposed to a large one then take Angelo State. I have no other information to give you and I hope someone else does. It's a tough decisions choosing between two great schools. At least lets be happy that we're stressing about choosing between schools as opposed to stressing about not hearing from any (like a large number of applicants right now). :)

Reactions: 1 users
Need some advice!

Today, I got an email saying that I've been accepted to UTMB. I got accepted to Angelo State about a month ago and this was my first choice since the beginning because of the small class size and what not, so I thought I was set. Honestly, I never really thought I would get into UTMB, so after I interviewed there, I didn't really expect to hear back so soon (I interviewed Dec. 17th). I know that UTMB has a large class and I have been told that they share their cadaver lab and other resources with PA and nursing students. At Angelo State, they dissect every day and only have like 4-5 people per tank (when it comes to Anatomy). This seems like it would be really beneficial for someone like me who doesn't have a super strong science background (I majored in Psyc). Does anyone know more about UTMB's program? As in, does sharing facilities seem to serve as a hindrance? I'm leaning towards UTMB, but I just wanted to know if anyone has any insight on this subject.

Thanks in advance and congrats to all those who have been accepted! For those of you still waiting, good luck!

Hi! I am a UTSW student so I can't speak for UTMB, but at UTSW we do have anatomy and phys with PA and PNO students. I personally wouldn't look at this as a disadvantage. It was great to interact with people from other areas and you form great networking opportunities for the future. We still had 4 people per tank which was perfect. We still do all the dissecting and its a small enough group at each tank that you get plenty of dissecting/learning opportunities and you can help each other learn throughout the semester.

Congrats on your acceptances! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know who the point of contact is for TTU admissions?

Does anyone know who the point of contact is for TTU admissions?

Below is the information for someone I have been in contact with when I needed to update my experience hours. Hope this helps!

Shelbi Bonds
Administrative Assistant
TTUHSC School of Allied Health Sciences
Admissions and Student Affairs
3601 4th Street MS 6294
Lubbock, Texas 79430
( 806-743-3220806-743-2994
* [email protected]

I was in a similar situation. I got into UTSW and I heard they share the cadaver lab with PA and med students, but it was my first choice since I applied. Then 2 months later I got into TWU and I heard that they don't share the cadaver lab. They're both around the same class size so that wasn't the issue. But I went with my gut and I chose UTSW. Now... if you prefer a small class size as opposed to a large one then take Angelo State. I have no other information to give you and I hope someone else does. It's a tough decisions choosing between two great schools. At least lets be happy that we're stressing about choosing between schools as opposed to stressing about not hearing from any (like a large number of applicants right now). :)

I was thinking that a smaller class would allow me a little more hands-on and a little more attention if I needed it since my science background isn't too in-depth, but I am really feeling like sharing the lab may actually offer up some diversity and be an advantage, so I am thinking UTMB. Thank you so much for your input!

Hi! I am a UTSW student so I can't speak for UTMB, but at UTSW we do have anatomy and phys with PA and PNO students. I personally wouldn't look at this as a disadvantage. It was great to interact with people from other areas and you form great networking opportunities for the future. We still had 4 people per tank which was perfect. We still do all the dissecting and its a small enough group at each tank that you get plenty of dissecting/learning opportunities and you can help each other learn throughout the semester.

Thank you! It is good to hear that it isn't a hindrance. I am wanting to go to UTMB for the diversity aspect, but I just wanted some input. Thanks so much! That makes me feel better!

Any advice for a incoming first year at UTSW? It was my first choice program, so when I was accepted that's of course where I decided to go!

Any advice for a incoming first year at UTSW? It was my first choice program, so when I was accepted that's of course where I decided to go!

Hi! First of all, congrats! My best advice is to keep up with all of the info in your classes as you go along. You don't have to spend every waking moment studying, just make sure you don't get behind. Secondly, make sure you still make time for yourself! It is important to unwind and give yourself much deserved breaks! PT school is a lot of information in a little bit of time, so it is easy to become "burnt out" if you don't take a few breaks here and there. If you have any questions/concerns about anything in particular, feel free to message me anytime! Congrats again! See you in May! :)

anyone still waiting to hear back from UNT about an interview? Do you guys know when we will be notified if we get an interview or not?

I got on the alternate list for UTEP! It's not the best news, but it's not bad news either.

anyone still waiting to hear back from UNT about an interview? Do you guys know when we will be notified if we get an interview or not?

No word. I got another "confirmation, all your materials have been received" email two weeks ago...but that's it.

Got accepted at UTEP. Have until the end of the month to decide.

Still no other UTMB acceptances out there? What gives?!? Congratulations on UNTHSC, I know a lot of you guys were really depending on receiving an acceptance from there.

I just accepted an offer of admission from UTMB this morning! :D

For those of you who applied to UNT and still haven't heard back yet, did any of you try to send an updated transcript or resume? I tried to send both and they said they wouldn't accept it. A little frustrating since PTCAS does an academic update, I feel like they should too.

Has anyone heard from UNTHSC yet? Or if they are still accepting/have slots left for their Fall 2015 class? :(

I am so done waiting for UNT. They are taking the longest and it is ridiculous that so many of us have not heard anything whether it be good or bad. I know the process is strenuous, but sheesh.

I am so done waiting for UNT. They are taking the longest and it is ridiculous that so many of us have not heard anything whether it be good or bad. I know the process is strenuous, but sheesh.
Agreed. UNT seems like they're SO disorganized. It does NOT take this long to review applications!! Especially since they've already done their first round of interviews, I just don't get it. I'm just waiting/hoping I get called for an interview before March 7 since that's what their last email said but I don't know, I'm kinda losing hope and it sucks bc I really want to go there :/

Agreed. UNT seems like they're SO disorganized. It does NOT take this long to review applications!! Especially since they've already done their first round of interviews, I just don't get it. I'm just waiting/hoping I get called for an interview before March 7 since that's what their last email said but I don't know, I'm kinda losing hope and it sucks bc I really want to go there :/

It's sad because I *think* they have a pretty great program...ONCE you get in and start. Their admissions process seems to be getting worse year after year.

It took them over a month from the Fall 2014 interviews to send out acceptances/declinations. A month??

I called them last week and Sean said: "Two more interviews planned. One in February, one in March. Invitations to interview have started going out".

I'm not sure why their admissions process is so sloppy.

Yeah, I am just praying to get in their program still....

Well, I just got an e-mail stating:

The Office of Admissions would like to speak to you regarding your application to the DPT Program at UNT Health Science Center. Please call at your earliest convenience (our office hours are 8:00-5:00, Monday-Friday).

Thank you,

Sean Bass, M.Ed
Recruitment/Admissions Assistant

So... here I go...

Edit: Got an interview offer, but I declined. UTSW for me :)

For those of you who applied to UNT and still haven't heard back yet, did any of you try to send an updated transcript or resume? I tried to send both and they said they wouldn't accept it. A little frustrating since PTCAS does an academic update, I feel like they should too.

Due to the lack of response, I'm guessing others didn't have this issue with UNT? I agree on the sloppiness of their process, even the online application wasn't the best. Sadly, I've been having similar issues with other programs (lack of communication). It's frustrating to see the kind of disrespect they have for applicants at times.

Due to the lack of response, I'm guessing others didn't have this issue with UNT? I agree on the sloppiness of their process, even the online application wasn't the best. Sadly, I've been having similar issues with other programs (lack of communication). It's frustrating to see the kind of disrespect they have for applicants at times.

When did you try to send the updated transcripts? I sent them an update near the end of December with an attached unofficial copy of my transcript, and told them the official copy had been sent, and got a response that they would update my file.

When did you try to send the updated transcripts? I sent them an update near the end of December with an attached unofficial copy of my transcript, and told them the official copy had been sent, and got a response that they would update my file.
I tried to do it mid-January. I sent my first email around the 20th of December but the office was closed and then I asked again in January due to lack of response.

Does anybody know what day in March UNT is having their interview? I'm trying to make spring break plans but I'm worried their interview date will be when I'm planning on going out of town if I get invited. Anybody else out there accepted to UTHSCSA?! I sure am ready to make housing plans for San Antonio...but UNT is keeping me hanging by a thread!

I tried to do it mid-January. I sent my first email around the 20th of December but the office was closed and then I asked again in January due to lack of response.

I sent in updated transcripts and hours right after the Fall semester ended, I emailed them that I sent an updated transcript along with my hours and they replied and took it. I think it may have been too late if it was sent mid-January? But I may be wrong!

I received an email from Felicity at UNT yesterday in regards to them not picking me. I do agree that their process is out of wack compared to the other programs here in Texas. UNT is a great program from what I hear as well as having a couple of people I know in the program now. I am from Fort Worth and I was hoping UNT to be a program for me. Nonetheless, I have TWU to hope for and now just playing the waiting game as I was selected as an Alternate for the Houston campus. Fingers crossed. Trying to be positive about everything, as I have an interview for a Masters of Athletic Training program with UTA.

Reactions: 2 users
@SC.PT What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? And I feel like their application itself wasn't as organized in regards to how to input hours and describe the details of it etc.

I received an email from Felicity at UNT yesterday in regards to them not picking me. I do agree that their process is out of wack compared to the other programs here in Texas. UNT is a great program from what I hear as well as having a couple of people I know in the program now. I am from Fort Worth and I was hoping UNT to be a program for me. Nonetheless, I have TWU to hope for and now just playing the waiting game as I was selected as an Alternate for the Houston campus. Fingers crossed. Trying to be positive about everything, as I have an interview for a Masters of Athletic Training program with UTA.

I received the same email. Last year, their application process was worse and several of us didn't hear ANYTHING until the end of March (really??). For a program that has been around for a few years now, they are really slacking in their admissions department. Try to compare Mary Beth and TWU to Felicity at UNT..you can't.

I was accepted on early admission to TWU-Dallas, but wasn't even offered an interview at UNT. This is my second time applying to both schools.

Stats:
Cum GPA: 3.94
Pre-req GPA: 3.90ish
Hours: 750+ sub-acute/rehabilitation hospital, 200+ outpatient ortho, 50+ aquatic (employed as a tech at 2 different hospitals)
Major: Finance/Eco, non-traditional PT student
Etc: Student athlete (non-NCAA sport), fraternity chair

I received the same email. Last year, their application process was worse and several of us didn't hear ANYTHING until the end of March (really??). For a program that has been around for a few years now, they are really slacking in their admissions department. Try to compare Mary Beth and TWU to Felicity at UNT..you can't.

I was accepted on early admission to TWU-Dallas, but wasn't even offered an interview at UNT. This is my second time applying to both schools.

Stats:
Hours: 750+ sub-acute/rehabilitation hospital, 200+ outpatient ortho, 50+ aquatic (employed as a tech at 2 different hospitals)
If they don't accept someone with your stats then who do they accept?? I also got rejected with no interview offer, and I thought I had good enough stats for UNT but oh well.

Stats:
If they don't accept someone with your stats then who do they accept?? I also got rejected with no interview offer, and I thought I had good enough stats for UNT but oh well.

I have a 3.6 and I got an interview (but got wait listed)... not sure what kind of applicant they're looking for haha. It may be because they had over 1,000 applicants this year. No idea.

I know this is a bit off topic- but Can anyone living in Lubbock or has lived in Lubbock help me out with suggestions for subleasing in the summer? (Places to stay away from/ good places / know of anyone subletting) could you message me if you have any pointers! Thanks!!

Just got an acceptance email from Texas Tech! I am going to decline because I have committed to UTMB, but I wanted to let everyone who is still waiting know that they are pulling from the wait list now, because I was on it! Lol

Also, random question. It doesn't tell me what campus I got accepted to. Do you not get to know that before you accept/decline?

@SC.PT What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? And I feel like their application itself wasn't as organized in regards to how to input hours and describe the details of it etc.

@rl91 My stats aren't the best at all. I screwed up my first 2 years in college but did a lot better my last 2 years.

Stats:
Cum GPA: 3.0
Last 60 GPA: 3.3
Pre-req GPA: 3.73
Hours: 3200+ outpatient general PT/ortho/hand/geriatric/occupational, 20+ sports therapy facility, 20+ pediatric clinic
Major: Kinesiology

Like I said, not the best stats when it comes to GPA's, but I have a lot of working experience in the PT and OT field as I not only worked as a tech but also ran certain programs at the clinic and was involved with management type duties along with the PT's there. This also gave me the opportunity to have 3-4 really outstanding letters of references. I saw 3 out of 4 of my references but not my choice. The PT's/OT were really laid back and just gave me my letters to send my self. So I either faxed it from work with their letterhead or mailed it for them. Great PT's that I have been able to work for. Would do anything for me.

I know TWU accepts their students not solely based on academics but major emphasis on letters of reference, personal statements, resume. UNT didn't even ask for a resume. Their process is really simple, undetailed and all of over the place. I like the idea of sending documents to schools like TWU did. Nothing was done through any online except their main PT app. All documents and forms had to be emailed to Mary-Beth. So if you do you things right, you can have really outstanding documents, etc.

@rl91 My stats aren't the best at all. I screwed up my first 2 years in college but did a lot better my last 2 years.

Stats:
Cum GPA: 3.0
Last 60 GPA: 3.3
Pre-req GPA: 3.73
Hours: 3200+ outpatient general PT/ortho/hand/geriatric/occupational, 20+ sports therapy facility, 20+ pediatric clinic
Major: Kinesiology

Like I said, not the best stats when it comes to GPA's, but I have a lot of working experience in the PT and OT field as I not only worked as a tech but also ran certain programs at the clinic and was involved with management type duties along with the PT's there. This also gave me the opportunity to have 3-4 really outstanding letters of references. I saw 3 out of 4 of my references but not my choice. The PT's/OT were really laid back and just gave me my letters to send my self. So I either faxed it from work with their letterhead or mailed it for them. Great PT's that I have been able to work for. Would do anything for me.

I know TWU accepts their students not solely based on academics but major emphasis on letters of reference, personal statements, resume. UNT didn't even ask for a resume. Their process is really simple, undetailed and all of over the place. I like the idea of sending documents to schools like TWU did. Nothing was done through any online except their main PT app. All documents and forms had to be emailed to Mary-Beth. So if you do you things right, you can have really outstanding documents, etc.
I got invited for a UNT interview with a 3.5 cumulative GPA and 4.0 prereq GPA. I'm non-traditional (30 years old), but my work experience/shadowing is noticeably worse than yours. It seems UNT must not hold this in high regard because I'm nowhere near 3200 hours.

Just got an acceptance email from Texas Tech! I am going to decline because I have committed to UTMB, but I wanted to let everyone who is still waiting know that they are pulling from the wait list now, because I was on it! Lol

Also, random question. It doesn't tell me what campus I got accepted to. Do you not get to know that before you accept/decline?
They let me know which campus I was accepted to before I accepted... maybe it works differently for waitlisters. Congrats on UTMB though! :)

Congrats!! Like LVL, I was also told which campus on the official acceptance letter.