Texas PT School Apps 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luxsit90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of a thread that was really helpful to me (and because PTCAS opens today), I am starting this year's app thread for anyone applying to Texas schools.

I'm applying to: UNT, TWU, TTU, UTMB, UTSW and two (non-Texas) schools of OU and Arkansas State.

Members don't see this ad.

Since I'm in CA I'm mostly applying to CA schools but I am also applying to USA (Austin campus). Also, anyone know why I can't make a PTCAS account??

ATCPT,

I read somewhere a few days ago that they would try and have the new cycle up by 5PM today.

Members don't see this ad :)
ATCPT,

I read somewhere a few days ago that they would try and have the new cycle up by 5PM today.

Got it, thanks! what are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

University: University of Missouri-Columbia
Major: Psychology, Classics (graduated Summa Cum Laude with Departmental and University Honors one year early)
Overall GPA: 3.95
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0 (done at a community college after Mizzou)
GRE: Taking on 7/5 but my old GRE was 1120 (Q: 145, V: 158, Writing: 5 or 303 overall equivalent to new GRE); I've been scoring consistently between 148 and 154 on the Q and 158-164 on V.

Extra-Curric: Clinical neuropsychology head lab assistant, Personality dynamics lab assistant, STRIPES (drunk driving alternative shuttle service) volunteer, Anatomy and physiology teacher's assistant, Hippotherapy lead volunteer in high school and just started at another place, world traveler (i.e., 22 countries)

Volunteer: out-patient clinic in El Paso=70 hours, out-patient clinic in Denton=120 hours, in-patient hopsital=55hours

I've already applied to: UNT.
Planning on applying to: UTSW, TWU, UTMB, OU, Texas Tech and Arkansas State.

What about you?

Last edited:
University: University of Missouri-Columbia
Major: Psychology, Classics (graduated Summa Cum Laude with Departmental and University Honors one year early)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0 (done at a community college after Mizzou)
GRE: Taking on 7/5 but my old GRE was 1120 (Q: 145, V: 158, Writing: 5 or 303 overall equivalent to new GRE); I've been scoring consistently between 148 and 154 on the Q and 158-164 on V.

Extra-Curric: Clinical neuropsychology head lab assistant, Personality dynamics lab assistant, STRIPES (drunk driving alternative shuttle service) volunteer, Anatomy and physiology teacher's assistant, Hippotherapy lead volunteer in high school and just started at another place, world traveler (i.e., 22 countries)

Volunteer: out-patient clinic in El Paso=70 hours, out-patient clinic in Denton=120 hours, in-patient hopsital=55hours

I've already applied to: UNT.
Planning on applying to: UTSW, TWU, UTMB, OU, Texas Tech and Arkansas State.

What about you?

Impressive Stats. Have you heard back from any schools yet?

I got an interview at Missouri State. The others, not so far....

I got an interview at Missouri State. The others, not so far....

what did you end up scoring on the GRE? I'm about to work on my TWU application since I'm done with PTCAS and other non ptcas programs.

Q: 152
V: 162
AW: 5.0
Hopefully I'll hear from them soon, but it is still early.

Reactions: 1 user
very nice, I managed a 4.5 on AW but was hoping for a 5. I can't complain, I spent about 1 day going over essay templates before the exam...80th percentile is still good : /

I feel like anything above a 4 is great.

Even a 4 isn't too bad. I've read some examples of a 4 that I felt were better than a 5. Honestly, I walked out thinking that I would receive a 5 as I use the Score it Now service from ETS and got a 5.0 on 6 different essays. Just depends on the grader you get I guess. It's a shame we can't see which essay received what score! Grrr haha.

very nice, I managed a 4.5 on AW but was hoping for a 5. I can't complain, I spent about 1 day going over essay templates before the exam...80th percentile is still good : /
DPTcoarsal: Do you mind me asking what are your other stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
DPTcoarsal: Do you mind me asking what are your other stats?

Sure. I did well on the GRE as I needed a solid score to help make up for my low cumulative (non-traditional, former business school grad, worked in markets).

320 overall GRE, 161 verbal 159 Quant 4.5 AW
3.17 cumulative (graduated with a 2.7 back in the day...ouch).
3.93 post-bach (54 credits)
3.7 graduate
3.8ish science gpa
hours spread out over outpatient, acute, sub-scute, lymphedema (really quite rewarding).
I waived the right to see my letters of recommendation, but I'm pretty sure they should be quite strong.

I applied to UNT and TWU mid August. Haven't heard anything back as of yet. Will be calling or sending emails to check status.

I have interviews at TTU and UTSW in November after I get back from volunteering in Morocco. I had to request later ones than September and October because of the trip. Hope it doesn´t affect anything too much. I also have an interview scheduled at UTMB 12-17-14. Anyone else have updates?

I applied to UTSW, TWU and UNTHSC.

UTSW:
Transcripts arrived by 8/27/14
Date submitted on PTCAS 8/29/14
GPA Calculated 9/4/14
Application Mailed 9/9/14
Interview Date: 10/9/14

TWU:
Submitted 8/26/14
No news yet. Since I didn't meet the criteria (missed a couple of points in my verbal and AW in GRE) for early decision admissions, my application will be moved to regular admissions decision (will be probably notified mid Oct. through e-mail), and I will be told then if I got in or not (probably by mid Dec).
This information I received by a person who had a similar situation and applied for early decision.

UNT: Submitted 8/19/14
No news yet.

Interview at Tech was really laid back and fun!

Yeah I thought the same! Where did you interview?!

I'm interviewing in November. What sorts of questions did they ask? Anything about current PT issues?

I thought they would, but no. I wasn't asked any knowledge based questions, just personal questions like "why do you want to be a PT?" "why texas tech?", "tell me about your undergrad degree." I had also looked up a lot of information about the school, but they provided an informative presentation with pretty much everything you could have looked up yourself. So really, I'd just suggest going in relaxed and be yourself (which is also what everyone I spoke to suggested). However, there were three different professors interviewing, so I can only speak for the professor I was interviewed by.

Great thank you! That makes me feel better.

For serious. Where else have you applied??

For serious. Where else have you applied??
Just Tech this year, it's my first preference by far, so i'd rather get two tries at it before settling somewhere else. (so if I don't get in this year I'd try again next year and apply at a bunch of other texas schools)

Yeah, I interviewed in Amarillo as well!! I thought is was extremely laid back and such a comfortable environment! I'm excited and I hope to hear back soon! Good luck.

Thanks! You too!! Let me know if you hear anything :)

I have interviewed at Tech and UTMB. I know its WAY too early to hear from them but I have been checking my email like every 5 minutes. Good luck everyone

I have interviewed at Tech and UTMB. I know its WAY too early to hear from them but I have been checking my email like every 5 minutes. Good luck everyone
Haha I'm doing the same thing!! Good luck! Which tech campus did you interview at?

I just got an offer from TWU!!

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an offer from TWU!!
CONGRATS!!! TWU Dallas??! Did you apply ED (I think its obvious you did). What were your stats? I'm waiting nervously about my app status

Edit: Saw your stats above -_- sorry. :( Did you receive an e-mail or call?

Thanks!! Literally just got the email. And yes the one in Dallas. It's my top choice.

Major: double in psychology and classics, graduated a year early from University of Missouri
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Q152, V162, AW 5.0
Hours: 300 in two outpatient clinics and one acute rehab hospital

Congrats!!! Good to hear your travel didn't interfere with anything in the end!

Thanks!! Literally just got the email. And yes the one in Dallas. It's my top choice.

Major: double in psychology and classics, graduated a year early from University of Missouri

Awesome! That's also my top choice :) Are you a traditional student? I think my app might be placed with regular admissions :(

Major: Kinesiology (BS Exercise Science)
Overal GPA: 4.0
GRE: Q157, V145, AW 4.0
Hours: 500 in two outpatient clinics, 42 in an in-patient LTAC hospital, 22 at Cooks Children

We will see!

Edit: I hope you don't abandon SDN :p Keep us posted on the other schools :)

Just got accepted into UTMB!!! I interviewed on Friday 10/1/2014. Definitely heard from them earlier than I expected. Now just waiting for TWU-Dallas.

Hi ishdpt, Big Congrats!! UTMB is one of my top choices and I'm interviewing 10/27. May I ask you about your interview experience? Any tips?
Thanks!

Hi ishdpt, Big Congrats!! UTMB is one of my top choices and I'm interviewing 10/27. May I ask you about your interview experience? Any tips?
Thanks!
Congrats on making it this far. Be yourself. This never came up in the interview, but I think it's best to know what's going on in the PT world right now (Just Google "Physical Therapy" and you will get tons of news). The interview itself was like 20mins. This was my second interview, after Tech, so I was a little more relaxed and more confident about myself. It's actually hard to remember the specific question because the interview was more of a "getting to know each other conversation".If there anything on your resume that you think is unique or sets u apart...mention it in the interview and make them want you.You got this!!!Goodluck.

Congrats on making it this far. Be yourself. This never came up in the interview, but I think it's best to know what's going on in the PT world right now (Just Google "Physical Therapy" and you will get tons of news). The interview itself was like 20mins. This was my second interview, after Tech, so I was a little more relaxed and more confident about myself. It's actually hard to remember the specific question because the interview was more of a "getting to know each other conversation".If there anything on your resume that you think is unique or sets u apart...mention it in the interview and make them want you.You got this!!!Goodluck.

Thanks so much for your thoughts on that. Fingers crossed. And best of luck to you too- you must be so happy!

Has anyone heard from UNTHSC yet?? They are my #1 choice and they are making me anxious... I hate this waiting game!!

Has anyone heard from UNTHSC yet?? They are my #1 choice and they are making me anxious... I hate this waiting game!!

No, you will not hear from them until the last moment. I went through the process last year. Their early admission interviews are mid-November and people were hearing from them 2-3 weeks before the interview date. Their regular admission interviews were held in March if I remember correctly.

And TWU has early admission requirements that are not on their website. They require a baseline GRE score and a 4.5 on the writing portion. If you do not make the cut, you are moved to the general admission pool. All the general admission people knew if they were accepted/waitlisted/declined by Christmas. TWU has the process refined and makes UNTHSC look sloppy, but they are both good programs.

Good luck to all.

No, you will not hear from them until the last moment. I went through the process last year. Their early admission interviews are mid-November and people were hearing from them 2-3 weeks before the interview date. Their regular admission interviews were held in March if I remember correctly.

And TWU has early admission requirements that are not on their website. They require a baseline GRE score and a 4.5 on the writing portion. If you do not make the cut, you are moved to the general admission pool. All the general admission people knew if they were accepted/waitlisted/declined by Christmas. TWU has the process refined and makes UNTHSC look sloppy, but they are both good programs.

Good luck to all.

Thank you so much. That eases my nerves :)

I took four years off after graduating at 20 to figure out what I wanted to do. Originally it was going to be a Phd in psych.