This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beyoutiful_sunshine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of 2 other threads that have been of great help, I thought about starting a thread for those applying to PT schools in Texas this upcoming cycle.

Stats:
University: Sam Houston State University
Major: Health Science
Overall GPA: 3.93
Science: 3.98
Pre-Req: ~ 3.91-4.0

GRE:
153 V
160 Q
4.5 A.W

Honors: President's list, Dean's list, Honors College, National Society of Leadership and Success, Alpha Chi National Honor society, Golden Key International Honor Society

Extra-Curric: Cultural Ambassador Organization, International Student Organization, Small Group Leader with Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship, Volunteer with KSBJ, Orientation Leader with the Office of International Programs

Hours: 170 both in patient and out-patient, going to get more hours in July, hoping to get at least 200

International Student from the Republic of Congo

Applying to:
Texas State, Angelo State, TWU, UTMB, UNT

I'm thinking Texas State is going to be my first choice!

Anybody got into Texas State ? Anybody excited for PTCAS to open?

Members don't see this ad.

University: Texas A&M College Station
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.42
Pre-req GPA: 3.56
GRE: 158 Q, 160 V, 3.5 W

Hours: 160 in 2 different outpatient clinics

Extra Curricular: Alpha Chi Omega Fraternity (held leadership positions), Texas A&M Psychology Club, Texas A&M Cupcakes (Service organization), Big Event Service day, Volunteer at Phoebes Home, Texas A&M Liberal Arts Dean's List.

Applied: Texas Tech, Texas State, UNT, UTMB, UTHSC-SA, UTSW

Interviews: So far I have an interview at Tech this Friday September 30th!

In the spirit of 2 other threads that have been of great help, I thought about starting a thread for those applying to PT schools in Texas this upcoming cycle.

Stats:
University: Sam Houston State University
Major: Health Science
Overall GPA: 3.93
Science: 3.98
Pre-Req: ~ 3.91-4.0

GRE:
153 V
160 Q
4.5 A.W

Honors: President's list, Dean's list, Honors College, National Society of Leadership and Success, Alpha Chi National Honor society, Golden Key International Honor Society

Extra-Curric: Cultural Ambassador Organization, International Student Organization, Small Group Leader with Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship, Volunteer with KSBJ, Orientation Leader with the Office of International Programs

Hours: 170 both in patient and out-patient, going to get more hours in July, hoping to get at least 200

International Student from the Republic of Congo

Applying to:
Texas State, Angelo State, TWU, UTMB, UNT

I'm thinking Texas State is going to be my first choice!

Anybody got into Texas State ? Anybody excited for PTCAS to open?
When did you send your PTCAS app to UNT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Posted in another thread, hoping to get even more feedback!

Hi! I applying to PT school for the first time this year, 2016-2017 cycle. I am attending the University of Oklahoma (although I am a Texas Resident) and will be graduating in December with my Heath and Exercise Science Degree. I am wanting to know my chances of getting into the schools I applied to, as well as connecting with students who are applying to the same schools and potentially have the same school interview dates.

Cumulative GPA: 3.86
Last 60: 3.93
Science: 3.58 (currently enrolled in chem 2 and bio 2 and anticipate A's)
Math and Science: 3.64

EC/Community Service
- Volunteered more than 600 hours of the span of my 4.5 years at Oklahoma (with my sorority). Fundraised for CASA and other various organizations.
- Volunteer and participant for Relay for Life (2012-2016)
- Volunteer and participant for "Big Event" (2012-2016) - This is Oklahoma's "day of service" and we spend the day completing various projects
- Member of PT/OT club (2012-2016)
- Salvation Army Volunteer (2012-2016)
- Volunteered for the Freshman Student Advisory Board (2012)

Honors/Awards:
- President's list (4.0): 4 semesters
- Dean's list (3.5): 8 semesters
- Recipient of the Presidential International Travel Fellowship Scholarship - awarded for my study abroad trip

Jobs:
- PT technician: March 2015-May 2016
- Teaching Assistant: January 2016-May 2016

Observed 3 different setting: Overall 730 hours
650 outpatient (tech job for 1.5 years)
40 acute care
40 home health

GRE: Q156 V152 W3.5

Schools applied:
TWU
UNT
UTMB
UTSW
UT San Antonio
Texas State
Tech
University of Florida
OU

So far I have heard back for an interview at:
UNT (2/3/17)
UTMB (11/4)
Tech (10/21)
Texas State (11/18)

Thanks - any feedback would be awesome!

Last edited:
It'a awesome to have more Texas threads! Thank you so much for this! :)

University: UT Austin
Major: Exercise Science
Last 60 credit Hours: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8ish-3.9ish
Cumulative: 3.62
GRE:
(1st attempt): 152V 145Q 4.0AW
(2nd attempt): 11/17

Observation Hours:
-148 Acute Care Hospital (Geriatrics, Oncology, ICU, Ortho)
-123 Outpatient (Functional Manual Therapy)
-66 hours at a private practice out-patient facility. (mostly ortho and some vestibular).
-16 Nero Clinic
-16 Ortho outpatient clinic
-9 Sports Medicine facility.
-Just got a job at an out patient facility where they have a aquatic therapy! :) plan to put in at least 80 hours before i apply to my last school. (Total: 458 Hours)

Clubs/Activities:
-
Avid Yogi (40).
- Volunteered at Chiropractic clinic that had a hydrorox pool for aquatic therapy as well (40.)
-
Member of school's Kinesiology club. (15)
- Vietnamese Student Association ( even though i'm not vietnamese lol) (70.)
- Boys and Girls club (20).
- American Cancer Association (104).
- Volunteered to create a youth center at my church. (60)
- Played soccer in my city's soccer association. (90).
- member of Phi Theta Kappa honor's society. (16)
- volunteered at my community college's tutoring center as an adminsitrative clerk. (115)
(Total: 570 Hours)

Certifications/Honors:
CPR, Honor Roll (University), The president's list (community college), admission to honor's society, american cancer society excellent service award, and the president's volunteer service award.

Applying: UNTHSC, TWU, and Texas State.

Interviews:
Date of email for interview received: Texas State (11/9), UNTHSC (1/26)
Date of Interview: Texas State (10/18), UNTHSC (2/3)

Waitlisted:
Date waitlisted: TWU (12/14)
Date off waitlist: TWU (2/10)

Date waitlisted: UNT (2/21)
Date off waitlist: UNT (4/3)

Rejections:

Texas State (11/7)

Accepted:

TWU (2/10)
UNTHSC (4/3)

I'm from Texas and plan on staying here for PT school, anyone else from Texas? lol Also, any advice to strengthen my application? I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
University: UT Austin
Major: Exercise Science
Last 60 credit Hours: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8ish-3.9ish
Cumulative: 3.62
GRE:
(1st attempt): 152V 145Q 4.0AW
(2nd attempt): 11/17

Observation Hours:
-148 Acute Care Hospital (Geriatrics, Oncology, ICU, Ortho)
-123 Outpatient (Functional Manual Therapy)
-66 hours at a private practice out-patient facility. (mostly ortho and some vestibular).
-16 Nero Clinic
-16 Ortho outpatient clinic
-9 Sports Medicine facility.
-Just got a job at an out patient facility where they have a aquatic therapy! :) plan to put in at least 80 hours before i apply to my last school. (Total: 458 Hours)

Clubs/Activities:
-
Avid Yogi (40).
- Volunteered at Chiropractic clinic that had a hydrorox pool for aquatic therapy as well (40.)
-
Member of school's Kinesiology club. (15)
- Vietnamese Student Association ( even though i'm not vietnamese lol) (70.)
- Boys and Girls club (20).
- American Cancer Association (104).
- Volunteered to create a youth center at my church. (60)
- Played soccer in my city's soccer association. (90).
- member of Phi Theta Kappa honor's society. (16)
- volunteered at my community college's tutoring center as an adminsitrative clerk. (115)
(Total: 570 Hours)

Certifications/Honors:
CPR, Honor Roll (University), The president's list (community college), admission to honor's society, american cancer society excellent service award, and the president's volunteer service award.

Applying: UNTHSC, TWU, and Texas State.

Interviews: None still. :/

I'm from Texas and plan on staying here for PT school, anyone else from Texas? lol Also, any advice to strengthen my application? I would really appreciate it.

I think you're stats are amazing!!! To be honest, I don't think you will have issue getting in the first time around. I would suggest trying to get that Quant score up (if I had to suggest something) but in the end, you are above average in every other aspect so I think your GRE score is just fine. I improved my Quant score by 6 points after studying and taking it a second time!! Looks like you're already planning on taking it again so I think you are a great applicant!

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're stats are amazing!!! To be honest, I don't think you will have issue getting in the first time around. I would suggest trying to get that Quant score up (if I had to suggest something) but in the end, you are above average in every other aspect so I think your GRE score is just fine. I improved my Quant score by 6 points after studying and taking it a second time!! Looks like you're already planning on taking it again so I think you are a great applicant!

Thank you i really appreciate the feedback it, it really means a lot! :) Yeah standardized tests aren't my thing and i didn't get much sleep the night before because i was just so worried. I had applied to UNT and it's one of my top choices, but i haven't heard back yet. :/ Your stats are incedible! You'all have no trouble getting into PT school, no doubt!! Which school is your top choice?

Thank you i really appreciate the feedback it, it really means a lot! :) Yeah standardized tests aren't my thing and i didn't get much sleep the night before because i was just so worried. I had applied to UNT and it's one of my top choices, but i haven't heard back yet. :/ Your stats are incedible! You'all have no trouble getting into PT school, no doubt!! Which school is your top choice?

I completely understand! When I took the GRE the first time, I got a 2.5 on the writing because I was so nervous! I couldn't think and didn't finish any of the essays!!! Taking the GRE a second time helped me tremendously and I recommend it to anyone, even if they are fine with their scores the first time around. I just interviewed with Tech yesterday and I LOVED it!!! But, I would be happy going anywhere. I don't what to get my hopes up until I actually receive an acceptance letter... All of the other students that were interviewing at Tech along with me were so awesome and I think everyone has a shot at getting into the program. I just can't believe that not even half of the students that interview get into the program...

I completely understand! When I took the GRE the first time, I got a 2.5 on the writing because I was so nervous! I couldn't think and didn't finish any of the essays!!! Taking the GRE a second time helped me tremendously and I recommend it to anyone, even if they are fine with their scores the first time around. I just interviewed with Tech yesterday and I LOVED it!!! But, I would be happy going anywhere. I don't what to get my hopes up until I actually receive an acceptance letter... All of the other students that were interviewing at Tech along with me were so awesome and I think everyone has a shot at getting into the program. I just can't believe that not even half of the students that interview get into the program...

Yeah, i feel like for the GRE you could literally know everything, but if you're not feeling confident, awake, or if you're hungry; your score can just totally go down south. What material did you use to study for the second time around? I would love some recommendations in order to look over the material before my second attempt. :) Yeah Tech is a very friendly school. I shadowed a therapist and a pt student from there last semester at a hospital and they were like the life of the party out of all of the PTs there. lol They were friendly, had a sense of humor and they were always shining and motivating. Because of them i was really close to applying to Tech, but decided not to last min because it's just so far from Dallas (i'm from Garland, TX). Yeah, there is DEFINITELY a lot of potential each year, but sadly only a handful can get a shot. I don't really have a #1 choice because of that, but if i could pick, it would be UTSW. If not there then UNT for sure.

Yeah, i feel like for the GRE you could literally know everything, but if you're not feeling confident, awake, or if you're hungry; your score can just totally go down south. What material did you use to study for the second time around? I would love some recommendations in order to look over the material before my second attempt. :) Yeah Tech is a very friendly school. I shadowed a therapist and a pt student from there last semester at a hospital and they were like the life of the party out of all of the PTs there. lol They were friendly, had a sense of humor and they were always shining and motivating. Because of them i was really close to applying to Tech, but decided not to last min because it's just so far from Dallas (i'm from Garland, TX). Yeah, there is DEFINITELY a lot of potential each year, but sadly only a handful can get a shot. I don't really have a #1 choice because of that, but if i could pick, it would be UTSW. If not there then UNT for sure.

So I used all of the Kaplan material. They have great workbooks (especially the Quant workbook) so you could definitely go online to Amazon and get it for cheap!

Did you see data on this?
No! That is just an educated guess. For the lubbock campus, I know they have had 3 interview date so far (I was at the 10/21) and there were about 30-35 students there. So, I assumed that if they have about that many at all 3 interviews so far, that means they have interviewed almost 100 people just at the Lubbock location (while conducting interviews at the other campuses) for 35ish spots and 18ish spots at Amarillo and Odessa. This is all info I've either collected from my interview or from the information on this forum. Other schools interview about 125-150 people for 30-40 spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
No! That is just an educated guess. For the lubbock campus, I know they have had 3 interview date so far (I was at the 10/21) and there were about 30-35 students there. So, I assumed that if they have about that many at all 3 interviews so far, that means they have interviewed almost 100 people just at the Lubbock location (while conducting interviews at the other campuses) for 35ish spots and 18ish spots at Amarillo and Odessa. This is all info I've either collected from my interview or from the information on this forum. Other schools interview about 125-150 people for 30-40 spots.

Yes i feel like that is about right, but then from there, based on if the students do or do not accept the seat, they start accepting people from the alternative list correct?

Yes i feel like that is about right, but then from there, based on if the students do or do not accept the seat, they start accepting people from the alternative list correct?
yes!! I feel like around January, students will start shuffling around and either accepting or denying PT schools

University: Texas A&M College Station
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.42
Pre-req GPA: 3.56
GRE: 158 Q, 160 V, 3.5 W

Hours: 160 in 2 different outpatient clinics

Extra Curricular: Alpha Chi Omega Fraternity (held leadership positions), Texas A&M Psychology Club, Texas A&M Cupcakes (Service organization), Big Event Service day, Volunteer at Phoebes Home, Texas A&M Liberal Arts Dean's List.

Applied: Texas Tech, Texas State, UNT, UTMB, UTHSC-SA, UTSW

Interviews: So far I have an interview at Tech this Friday September 30th!

Have you heard anything back from Tech?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sadly, no

I was at the interview last week. Maybe they are trying to get more interviews in before they make all decisions. I think no news is good news! You are still one of their choices.

Did anyone use magoosh to study for the GRE and was it helpful?

Anyone applying to UIW or the University of St. Augustine?

Anyone applying to UIW or the University of St. Augustine?

I'll be applying to both! I've got the application for USA complete, except for the essay lol. I plan on doing all of UIW's essays over winter break

Do you know if they have any later interview dates? Kinda worried now ;// I applied very last minute-- like one day before the deadline closed and still haven't heard anything back yet.

Do you know if they have any later interview dates? Kinda worried now ;// I applied very last minute-- like one day before the deadline closed and still haven't heard anything back yet.

Yes, I think so! I can't remember the exact date but i've seen a few people post about going to an interview sometime in December! My friend applied the day before the deadline and just heard back about an interview in Amarillo. It's rolling admission so I would assume they would have interviews through December and maybe even January! Don't worry!!!

Anyone know when we will hear about getting off the waitlist? I know they said after their last round of interviews in February but I wasn't sure when that took place.
Spoke to Christina Immel a week ago and she said most likely they won't be releasing any waitlist information until mid-march :(