Texas Tech Pharmacy Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teresa22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, is anyone applying for the early decision program?

Members don't see this ad.

I did
Finished it a few weeks ago and turned it in
No word yet tho
What are your stats? just curious about my chances

My gpa is higher than 3.5, pcat scores are ok. But I'll take it again, trying to make it better.
I'm still working on my essays. Probably will submit it next week. If I hear anything from them, I'll let you know

Members don't see this ad :)
haha I will probably hear back before you do since i submitted my app weeks before you did
I have 3.7 with 99 on PCAT which is good enough for pretty much any school but im just nervous since I am OOS student and tech gives priority for in state student.

I'm trying to finish my app for early decision. Isn't deadline the 8th?

Hello, I am currently at the Abilene campus. Looks like you guys have some good stats!

Yes the deadline is the 8th but they sent everyone email to submit their apps early to get ahead in the line. I think that meant your app will be reviewed earlier if you send in your apps early.

How difficult would you say the school is Bowreyboytx? How many hours a week do you/friends study for an A?

haha I will probably hear back before you do since i submitted my app weeks before you did
I have 3.7 with 99 on PCAT which is good enough for pretty much any school but im just nervous since I am OOS student and tech gives priority for in state student.

Haha that's right. Please let me know if you hear back from them! Thanks!

Good luck!

Got an interview offer! YAY

They allow you to submit your application before all your rec letters and my last recommendation letter was submitted just today, Within a few hours I got an interview offer. I think they were waiting for that letter to offer me an interview. Maybe I would have gotten it way earlier if my rec letter was submitted earlier.

I was a bit surprised to get the offer today since today is labor day. Anyway good luck to others.

Yes the deadline is the 8th but they sent everyone email to submit their apps early to get ahead in the line. I think that meant your app will be reviewed earlier if you send in your apps early.

How difficult would you say the school is Bowreyboytx? How many hours a week do you/friends study for an A?
Its pretty intense. 7 classes not including labs. We have 3 of those. And i guess studying is totally up to you.

Got an interview offer! YAY

They allow you to submit your application before all your rec letters and my last recommendation letter was submitted just today, Within a few hours I got an interview offer. I think they were waiting for that letter to offer me an interview. Maybe I would have gotten it way earlier if my rec letter was submitted earlier.

I was a bit surprised to get the offer today since today is labor day. Anyway good luck to others.

That's awesome! Congrats!

Hello everyone!

I'm selling my Dr. Collins PCAT 2015 study package for half the usual price. Anybody interested please send private message.

Interviews start in 10 days! I wish they had a Wednesday interview. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know when the last day is they offer interviews? :(

I would think that they don't have a set day. I would think they go until they get through all of the applications. From the sound of it, PharmCAS is still computing your GPA, since you submitted later. Reading the comments from last year, it seems that they didn't fill all of the seats at the Early Decision interviews.

Do you know when the last day is they offer interviews? :(

I thought you are retaking PCAT. Did you let them know like you are suppose to? I would guess they wouldn't give you a decision until they see your PCAT score.

I thought you are retaking PCAT. Did you let them know like you are suppose to? I would guess they wouldn't give you a decision until they see your PCAT score.
Yeah I already let them know that I would retake pcat. My pharmcas application also showed that in the tests section. I just emailed them my score report today. I have some friends studying in Amarillo now. I asked them to print it out and give it to the admission office in person.

Last edited:
Yea I wouldn't worry too much unless you get a flat rejection later. At worst, you will get deferred for regular decision.

Yea I wouldn't worry too much unless you get a flat rejection later. At worst, you will get deferred for regular decision.
I'm worried that all the seats will be filled before they can reach my app. Pharmcas hasn't verified my gpa.

Hey guys, quick question ... So I recently received an interview invite, and i'm a regular admission applicant. The October dates won't work for me, and I see they have some January dates. I'm not sure if Texas Tech does rolling admissions, so what if I choose the January dates and all the class seats were filled by then?? And also, if I got accepted to another school before the interview date, will I be able to decline? Since on Merlin it just says, "accept interview", not sure if it's OK to accept and then decline later on ... Thanks in advance!

If you are not early admission, you can decline interview later on.

Even if you don't show up, there is nothing Tech can do besides denying your application. But still, give them the courtesy and let them know as soon as possible.

Tech doesn't have rolling admissions. I believe they give out acceptance letters after they review all applicants. So your interview date shouldn't matter as far as I know.

Reactions: 1 user
Had mine last Friday. Already got an offer! They are trying to meet the Monday after the interview and give out offers within a few days. If you don't get an offer, the application is still active. I know someone last year who was early decision and was offered a spot several months later. In March? I think.

Reactions: 1 user
Had mine last Friday. Already got an offer! They are trying to meet the Monday after the interview and give out offers within a few days. If you don't get an offer, the application is still active. I know someone last year who was early decision and was offered a spot several months later. In March? I think.
Hi, did you hear back from them yet? Which location did you have your interview?

You got an offer already. It was fast. Congratulations!

Congrats. I also interviewed last friday and got in! Who were you?

Yes. That's such a relief. How was your interview going? Can you give me some advice? I'm so nervous!

I read this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/texas-tech-application-thread.763546/
Don't be nervous. You have to be confident that you know this is what you want. The "interview" is only 30 minutes, but they spent 9 hours with us, observing. Be confident all day! Look and feel like you belong. -But if you don't think this is the right place for you, that will show too.

Have my interview tommorow
Haha so nervous I can't sleep

I guess I should go over some interview questions instead of just winging it.

I have been watching this thread for awhile and was too afraid to post :unsure: but! I just received an invitation to interview on the 9th!!! Anyone else? I'm a girl and i'm wondering what to wear. Are capri slacks with flats ok?

I have been watching this thread for awhile and was too afraid to post :unsure: but! I just received an invitation to interview on the 9th!!! Anyone else? I'm a girl and i'm wondering what to wear. Are capri slacks with flats ok?

hey so i was not going to post anything but i thought my advice would help you since i was in your shoes just a few days ago and was given an offer right after my interview so that must mean for something.
what i wore was a nice dress shirt (i steam cleaned everything and made sure to wash it with care and even tailored it to make sure nothing will pop open if you know what i mean.) a black skirt, stockings, black closed toe HEELS (i know it will be tough and a lot of walking for 7 hours but i think they will noticed that you put in the effort now if you can't walk in heels then maybe work on that for a while, its always so sad to watch a girl wear some awesome heels but could not walk in them), i had a black jacket to complete my look but had forgotten it in my hotel so i went without it all day but it actually made me stand out because all the other girls had jackets on while i had a white dress shirt. remember to look professional, clean and composed during the day because this will really help not only for this interview but i'm sure for others.
I brought a medium sized black purse and made sure to organize it well so that they could see i was very organized even in my bag. (didn't take it into the interview though but it completed the look). my make up was minimal and professional (no eye shadow or anything like that just really clean) and i had some perfume on but it was daisy by marc jacobs because it is light, young and refreshing so i picked it over others.
As you can tell each item i stated had a purpose and i know its time consuming but i wanted them to know i had put in the time and effort to this interview and i believe it showed. I recommend looking up what colors mean when it comes to tops because white meant organized and cooperative. pointed shoes meant bold and leader. how i see it is this, they will be watching you from the moment you walk into the building make everything count even if it's the clothes on your back. they need to say something about you and what better then to tell the school what they want to hear!

The thing you need to know is that they want to see how well you fit into their class and their school so you must show them that you are a team player but also able to have a voice of your own. Now i'm no pro at this so take what i've said with a grain of salt because these are not guidelines but just suggestions.

Last edited:
How was it going yesterday?

Haha it went well.
Got accepted right away.
Probably a good idea to go over practice interview question posted by texas tech. Questions were exactly the same or very similar except for one.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/careercenter/pages/students/UCS Website - Pharmacy School Questions.pdf

Critical Thinking test wasn't too hard. They don't expect you to do well anyways.

Group test was just discussing about some ethical dilemma.
It is just to test how you work in a group. There isn't exactly a right answer.
As long as you are not domineering or super quite, should be easy too.
Voice your opinion, listen to others, ask for other people's opinion in your group

Last edited:

I am a guy but I disagree with xuandao0812
I doubt their decision to accept her was because of what she was wearing.

Heels are definitely not mandatory. There are plenty of formal flat choices for women. Just make sure they are professional.
Keep in mind the interview process is 8 hours. I saw many candidates and faculty at the interview not wearing heels. The female professor that interviewed me was wearing pant suit with flats.
They may find it weird that you have a permanent frown on your face because you are in pain from your heels tho.

You also don't need a bag and certainly don't need to purchase one unless you want one.
They actually let you drop all your belongings such as your bag or wallet so pretty sure they don't care whether you bring a bag.

Capri slacks are not considered professional tho.
Perfume is completely unneeded.
If you do use it, the interviewer should not be able to smell it.
You are not getting any extra points just because the interviewer likes your perfume but you may turn an interviewer off if he/she finds it toxic.

The faculty at texas tech were very chill. I doubt their decision to accept you or not will be based on what you wore, as long as it didn't show a complete lack of effort (t shirt and a jean).

Last edited:
Thanks @MyRealNameIs and @xuandao0812. I will be going shopping today! I'm so nervous and I don't want to overdo it and not be myself. Since you guys already got accepted what campus did you pick and why? Will you deploy after 2 years? And is there anywhere on SDN that compares all of the campuses? (Including Dallas and Lubbock)

Haha it went well.
Got accepted right away.
Probably a good idea to go over practice interview question posted by texas tech. Questions were exactly the same or very similar except for one.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/careercenter/pages/students/UCS Website - Pharmacy School Questions.pdf

Critical Thinking test wasn't too hard. They don't expect you to do well anyways.

Group test was just discussing about some ethical dilemma.
It is just to test how you work in a group. There isn't exactly a right answer.
As long as you are not domineering or super quite, should be easy too.
Voice your opinion, listen to others, ask for other people's opinion in your group
Awesome! Congrats!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

Thanks @MyRealNameIs and @xuandao0812. I will be going shopping today! I'm so nervous and I don't want to overdo it and not be myself. Since you guys already got accepted what campus did you pick and why? Will you deploy after 2 years? And is there anywhere on SDN that compares all of the campuses? (Including Dallas and Lubbock)

Well good luck

I chose Amarillo all 4 years
Based on what I heard from texas tech students on forum and the interview, the quality of education is the same. It is more about preference to city and the environment.

Amarillo - bigger class, casual dress to class most of the time, option to choose Lubbock or Dallas for the 3,4th year. Closer to ski resort

Abilene - smaller class, Have to dress formal to class most of the time, hard to choose other campus for the 3,4th year. Closer to Dallas and Austin.

Half the professors are at Amarillo and half at Abilene. So you will get half of your lectures as video broadcast. No difference in quality of education.

Different campus get different rotation sites.
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sop/academicinfo/docs/2015_2016_Catalogue_revA.pdf
On pg 11, it shows which hospitals you get to choose from based on campus choice.
While Dallas hospitals are generally more reputable, I was told the quality of education is again the same.

Dallas - Hard to get to rotation sites and class because they are far apart and heavy traffic. Expect hour and a half commute time. For city life or if you have family.

Lubbock - I think people only choose Lubbock if they are originally from Lubbock. It is only like 40 minutes away from Amarillo.

Lubbock - I think people only choose Lubbock if they are originally from Lubbock. It is only like 40 minutes away from Amarillo.

If you can get to Lubbock from Amarillo in 40 minutes, you will pile up speeding tickets. It's at least 90 minutes, even going 75 mph. Most safe drivers figure 2 hours to get from parking spot to parking spot. Google says 1 hr 47 min from campus to campus, without traffic. Lubbock seems to have more to do as it is a slightly bigger city. For example, there are more concerts in Lubbock.

From what I'm told, if you pick Abilene, you are there all four years. I can't speak for the other cities, but the hospitals in Amarillo are very close to the school. The two public hospitals are directly across the street. The medical students walk to Northwest Hospital all the time. From NWTH you can see the VA hospital, so obviously it is a short drive (<2 miles). The school is on the far west side of town and the Amarillo airport is clear on the on the east side. You can get there in 20 minutes. (How long was the drive for those of you who flew in for interviews?) Traffic is much better in Amarillo than in Dallas. The only bad traffic is just south of the school/hospitals as there are so many people going to such a small area. Depending on where you are staying, there are back roads to take.

My understanding is that the Harrington family donated 300 acres of land, in the 1960's, to started building a medical center. So there are now at least 27 medical facilities on this land (which has been expanded to over 400 acres). This includes the school and the two hospitals.

Last edited:
Amarillo - bigger class, casual dress to class most of the time, option to choose Lubbock or Dallas for the 3,4th year. Closer to ski resort

Abilene - smaller class, Have to dress formal to class most of the time, hard to choose other campus for the 3,4th year. Closer to Dallas and Austin.

Professional dress?? Is there a dress code for pharm school? I dress for class now, usually jeans and at shirt never sloppy, but I didn't think I'd have to buy a new wardrobe like people do for law school!

I'm from Dallas so I'm debating coming back my last 2 so I can network more in my home town instead of somewhere I don't plan on living.

I would only go to Lubbock to pledge but I doubt I'll have the time.

On the subject of what to wear, dress professionally. We did have one person in my class who wore a polo and cargo shorts to his interview. His other stats must have been amazing, because he got in, but you should dress professionally. I would advise against perfume. Too much risk of setting off allergies.

As far as the campuses- Abilene has business dress 4 days per week. Amarillo is casual (most of us wear jeans and t-shirts) except on special days like some labs, stuff like that.

Haha I said "like 40 minutes away"

I didn't know the exact time tho so thanks for correcting me.