Texas Tech Pharmacy Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi I got my acceptance for Tech as well. I had a question though. If I accept their offer and pay the fee, will I still be able to accept offers from other pharmacy schools as well? I still have yet to hear from other schools but I love Tech and would love to have it as an option. Just have a lot to consider

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I got my acceptance for Tech as well. I had a question though. If I accept their offer and pay the fee, will I still be able to accept offers from other pharmacy schools as well? I still have yet to hear from other schools but I love Tech and would love to have it as an option. Just have a lot to consider

I had a buddy who accepted his invitation from Texas Tech and paid his fee, then later got an offer from UH (his first choice). He notified the TTU admissions office that he was no longer interested and accepted UH's offer and as a result forfeited his student fee to TTU. So I have no doubt you can play it safe if you are willing to potentially throw the money away - but what choice do you really have, if I were you I'd pay the fee and wait to see what other offers surface.

I was placed in the rolling pool... What does that mean? :( I am discouraged

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a facebook group for the people accepted?

Congrats to those getting their letters! Can't wait to meet y'all next year! And to the person in the rolling pool, at my interview during the student Q&A a ton of people talked about how they got put on the rolling pool and eventually got in! It just means they're taking longer to evaluate your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone that is planning on getting an MBA or anyone at Tech right now doing an MBA, can you elaborate on the advantages of having an MBA as a pharmacist and also how difficult the courses are to take over the summer?
This will help fast track you to management. I have heard that it is possible to double your income in five years. From my perspective, it will put you in the top 10% of Tech SOP grads and an even more exclusive group nationally. The courses look easy to me, but I have a management background. It seems that people don't want to move up in pharm as Northwest Hospital has had an opening for a while. (Across the street from Amarillo campus.)

https://uhs.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-bin/portal/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=163460

For what it's worth, and not that anyone wants to study more this summer, but... maybe you can use this info if you are applying next year.

If you want a jump on immunology, I took Immunology through UC Berkeley Extension. It's about $800. They use the same book that Tech does. It was a very tough book to read. The actual course, on the other hand, wasn't too bad (the tests). I procrastinated and did most of the course in the last 4 weeks and I earned an A. However, the teacher was counseling me to drop out and it stressed her to the max that I put it off so long. It is a self study, self paced course, but it is fairly interactive. You must take the final exam between 90 and 180 days from when you signup/pay for the class. Make sure you don't register for a section on campus. The first two exams (or maybe there was only one) are "take home". I think we had a week, after we accessed it online, to send it back. The final exam requires a proctor. I used the testing center at a local college.

Biochem: I don't know what I was going to say about this course. It is not a prereq, buy you may have all heard that it is recommended. They say that students who have taken biochem do better.

Does anyone have any insight on how to prepare for the SOP biochem class?

For what it's worth, and not that anyone wants to study more this summer, but... maybe you can use this info if you are applying next year.

If you want a jump on immunology, I took Immunology through UC Berkeley Extension. It's about $800. They use the same book that Tech does. It was a very tough book to read. The actual course, on the other hand, wasn't too bad (the tests). I procrastinated and did most of the course in the last 4 weeks and I earned an A. However, the teacher was counseling me to drop out and it stressed her to the max that I put it off so long. It is a self study, self paced course, but it is fairly interactive. You must take the final exam between 90 and 180 days from when you signup/pay for the class. Make sure you don't register for a section on campus. The first two exams (or maybe there was only one) are "take home". I think we had a week, after we accessed it online, to send it back. The final exam requires a proctor. I used the testing center at a local college.

Biochem: I don't know what I was going to say about this course. It is not a prereq, buy you may have all heard that it is recommended. They say that students who have taken biochem do better.

Does anyone have any insight on how to prepare for the SOP biochem class?
I do! I just did it. For the record I had no experience in biochem before I got here. I finished 2 points shy of an A. That being said some people struggle with the course even if they had biochem previously. My best advice is to come prepared to study. Dont spend money on a biochem course if you really want to study before pick up biochem for dummies and casually flip through it. My only homework for you is memorize the amino acids and nitrogenous bases before you get here because they will keep coming back to haunt you. If you can know those before you walk in the door you will do fine. If you will be in Abilene I have already started getting a group together to help you guys get ready. I am the P1 class president at abilene and will be there to help. Best advice enjoy your time before you get here! Good luck everyone!

Yes, I did! I applied to 7 and got 6 interviews but only chose to go to 4, which were UNT, TTUHSC, UT, and UH. My last one is this Friday, which is UH, so interviewing at different schools has been a great experience but I'm excited to finish lol

Thank you! That's really quick! Did you apply to other schools?

Yes, I did! I applied to 7 and got 6 interviews but only chose to go to 4, which were UNT, TTUHSC, UT, and UH. My last one is this Friday, which is UH, so interviewing at different schools has been a great experience but I'm excited to finish lol

I was accepted right after the interview on 1/15! :) It's crazy that they're doing that now.
Stats -
PCAT: 98
GPA: 3.57
2 years certified Pharm. Tech
Tons of volunteer experience

I do! I just did it. For the record I had no experience in biochem before I got here. I finished 2 points shy of an A. My best advice is to come prepared to study. Dont spend money on a biochem course if you really want to study before pick up biochem for dummies and casually flip through it. My only homework for you is memorize the amino acids and nitrogenous bases before you get here because they will keep coming back to haunt you. If you can know those before you walk in the door you will do fine.
Thanks for the input. We hit the AAs pretty hard, but I could refresh a little.

I got accepted- and accepted their acceptance. Hello class of 2020!

Reactions: 1 user
When did you receive the email? And what date did you interview? I haven't heard any news yet. :(
i haven't heard back anything either... i interviewed last week, when did you interview?

i haven't heard back anything either... i interviewed last week, when did you interview?
I interviewed in Amarillo on the 29th. They told us that we should hear something on the 3rd but I haven't yet. :shrug:

I interviewed in Amarillo on the 29th. They told us that we should hear something on the 3rd but I haven't yet. :shrug:

I interviewed in Abilene on the 29th and they also told us Wednesday or Thursday but I haven't heard back yet either. I few people that I knew from my interview didn't hear back either but hopefully we'll hear back soon!

I just gave up my seat so good luck everyone! :)
I got accepted Texas Tech and Texas A&M. And still waiting for Austin's result. I already made Tech deposit , but still did not make A&M's $500, yet. Dead line is tomorrow for College Station. What did you make giving up your seat at Tech? I love Tech, but I have two elementary kids, so distance is the only problem of Amarillo even I chose 2yrs at Dallas.

this wait is killing me. i have been checking my email nonstop

I got accepted Texas Tech and Texas A&M. And still waiting for Austin's result. I already made Tech deposit , but still did not make A&M's $500, yet. Dead line is tomorrow for College Station. What did you make giving up your seat at Tech? I love Tech, but I have two elementary kids, so distance is the only problem of Amarillo even I chose 2yrs at Dallas.
You can transfer from Abilene to Dallas. I will be.

You can transfer from Abilene to Dallas. I will be.
Is that a special request? I only chose Amarillo because I thought I wouldn't be able to transfer back to Dallas. Also why'd you pick Abilene? Do you think there's a huge difference?

got the email! I am in!!! Looking forward to meeting everyone in Amarillo!

OMG Congrats !!! when did you interview?
I interviewed on the 5th in Abilene. Was not expecting to hear back so soon. I am sure they are sending out emails in waves so don't be discouraged if you have not heard though!

I interviewed on the 5th in Abilene. Was not expecting to hear back so soon. I am sure they are sending out emails in waves so don't be discouraged if you have not heard though!
I interviewed on the 29th of January, I was told that I should hear back in about a week but I haven't heard back anything since :( does your merlin say accepted as well? i have been checking both email and the merlin website :/

I interviewed on the 29th of January, I was told that I should hear back in about a week but I haven't heard back anything since :( does your merlin say accepted as well? i have been checking both email and the merlin website :/

When I asked on Friday when to expect an email they said that they were putting everyone from the weekend before (when you interviewed) and ours together to review them. He said at that point no one from your weekend had received any news. I am sure they are still looking through everyone's! I received an email from Mike and then checked merlin and it was there too. I am not sure if it was before they sent the email though. Don't worry though! They would be lucky to have you:)

When I asked on Friday when to expect an email they said that they were putting everyone from the weekend before (when you interviewed) and ours together to review them. He said at that point no one from your weekend had received any news. I am sure they are still looking through everyone's! I received an email from Mike and then checked merlin and it was there too. I am not sure if it was before they sent the email though. Don't worry though! They would be lucky to have you:)
thank you so much for the information! while waiting for the interview was tough, waiting for this is even tougher! I hope I will hear from them soon... :)

I have a question for all those that were accepted. The acceptance email said we'd be sent an email for a background check shortly after. I never got this email and I called in about it and they still have yet to send it to me. I was accepted on the 19 of January so it's been a while and I don't want to get penalized for not having everything in on time.
Also, when you mailed in your letter and/or paid your fee on Merlin to accept your acceptance, did they email anything confirming that or say anything further than that? The only thing that happened was my Merlin changed to "congrats welcome to the class of 2020" or something like that. I just want to make sure I'm not going to lose my spot over something as small as paperwork or not turning in one thing!
Thank you!

I got accepted and also took their offer! :)

I have a question for all those that were accepted. The acceptance email said we'd be sent an email for a background check shortly after. I never got this email and I called in about it and they still have yet to send it to me. I was accepted on the 19 of January so it's been a while and I don't want to get penalized for not having everything in on time.
Also, when you mailed in your letter and/or paid your fee on Merlin to accept your acceptance, did they email anything confirming that or say anything further than that? The only thing that happened was my Merlin changed to "congrats welcome to the class of 2020" or something like that. I just want to make sure I'm not going to lose my spot over something as small as paperwork or not turning in one thing!
Thank you!

Hey. I got accepted ED. If they hadn't received your fee then you would still see that message in your Merlin account to pay. And I wouldn't worry about the Background check. If you have been receiving emails consistently you'll be fine. And more than likely it'll be going to your eraider once you set it up.

Hi, for everyone that has accepted, I don't see in the email saying if I get into Amarillo or Abilene. Where did you guys see it?

Also, if you want to be assured of going to Dallas, you need to select Amarillo/Dallas. Abilene students can only go to Dallas if someone who was planning to go to Dallas changes to another campus. And if you request a change from your original campus, you give up your original choice.

I was originally going to be in Amarillo all four years, but decided I wanted to switch to Dallas for P3 and P4. In order for me to be able to change, someone who already had Dallas had to give up their spot (by requesting a change or by failing a class). Even though I requested Dallas, since changes are approved based on GPA, if all of the Dallas spots were filled by people with better GPAs than me, I could have been in Amarillo for P3 and P4, or moved to another campus.

I have a friend who was supposed to be Amarillo all four years, but fell behind and got changed to Abilene for their P3 and P4 years.

Also, if you want to be assured of going to Dallas, you need to select Amarillo/Dallas. Abilene students can only go to Dallas if someone who was planning to go to Dallas changes to another campus. And if you request a change from your original campus, you give up your original choice.

I was originally going to be in Amarillo all four years, but decided I wanted to switch to Dallas for P3 and P4. In order for me to be able to change, someone who already had Dallas had to give up their spot (by requesting a change or by failing a class). Even though I requested Dallas, since changes are approved based on GPA, if all of the Dallas spots were filled by people with better GPAs than me, I could have been in Amarillo for P3 and P4, or moved to another campus.

I have a friend who was supposed to be Amarillo all four years, but fell behind and got changed to Abilene for their P3 and P4 years.
thank you so much for information!!! I originally selected Abilene, does that mean I stay at Abilene for 4 years? I'd love to come to Dallas in third and forth year but Amarillo is kind of too far for me. Since I picked Abilene on the paper that I turned in during my interview, it should be where I'm going then?

Hey. I got accepted ED. If they hadn't received your fee then you would still see that message in your Merlin account to pay. And I wouldn't worry about the Background check. If you have been receiving emails consistently you'll be fine. And more than likely it'll be going to your eraider once you set it up.

I haven't been consistently receiving emails. The last one I recieved was about my acceptance...
And then of course a computer generated one after I paid but that's it.

thank you so much for information!!! I originally selected Abilene, does that mean I stay at Abilene for 4 years? I'd love to come to Dallas in third and forth year but Amarillo is kind of too far for me. Since I picked Abilene on the paper that I turned in during my interview, it should be where I'm going then?
This early in the process, you most likely did get Abilene (Almost everyone gets what they want). Odds are pretty decent that Dallas spots will open up and you can request a change of campus, but the only way to be 100% sure that you get Dallas for P3 and P4 is to select Amarillo/Dallas deployment and pass all of your classes. If you aren't willing to stay in Abilene for all four years, and you think you can handle two years in Amarillo, you could try sending an e-mail and asking to switch to Amarillo/Dallas. But given that some people will decide they like Amarillo's lack of traffic/lower rent, or date a classmate staying in Amarillo, or any other number of reasons, there will most likely be open Dallas spots.

I interviewed on the 5th in Amarillo as well & haven't heard back yet.:xf:Hopefully soon.