Texas Tech Pharmacy Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
finally, I'm not the only one haha. hopefully both of us will hear back soon. is it a bad sign if it's taking longer for us to hear back? I'm kinda freaking out.
Actually I interviewed on the 29th and just heard back yesterday evening, so I think you're ok, they probably are still going through applications. :)

Members don't see this ad.

finally, I'm not the only one haha. hopefully both of us will hear back soon. is it a bad sign if it's taking longer for us to hear back? I'm kinda freaking out.
Haha oooooh I feel ya. I'm freaking out. I've been checking my email every second of the day. I hope it isn't a bad sign. Some of my friends have already gotten accepted too. They found out a few days post interview. Seeing that AprilN barely heard back yesterday then maybe they really are still looking through applications. In the mean time I'll be praying, crossing my fingers, & trying not to cause myself to much stress lol:nailbiting:

Haha oooooh I feel ya. I'm freaking out. I've been checking my email every second of the day. I hope it isn't a bad sign. Some of my friends have already gotten accepted too. They found out a few days post interview. Seeing that AprilN barely heard back yesterday then maybe they really are still looking through applications. In the mean time I'll be praying, crossing my fingers, & trying not to cause myself to much stress lol:nailbiting:
I was checking my email every second as well. Lol. And it finally came yesterday when I was at work!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was checking my email every second as well. Lol. And it finally came yesterday when I was at work!!!
Romylove is correct about the Dallas/Amarillo transfer more secure, but that being said 17/18 P2s that wanted to transfer from Abilene got the go ahead to move on to Dallas. As far as the difference between the two campuses its hard for me to say because I never set foot onto the Amarillo campus. Interviewed and am currently a P1 in Abilene. As far as our campus is concerned we love it very much we have nursing students in the building next door and biotechnology students in our building. The school of Public Health is being built right now on our campus which will be open when you get here. It is going to have even more study space and a larger lounge even though we already used our lounge and the nurses lounge just to mix it up.

Reactions: 1 user
YESS! I told you not to worry:) Congrats! Looking forward to meeting you!
Thank you!!!! I'm still waiting on my package but I think I will be going to Abilene since it's where I put when I was at my interview. You're going to Amarillo right?

Romylove is correct about the Dallas/Amarillo transfer more secure, but that being said 17/18 P2s that wanted to transfer from Abilene got the go ahead to move on to Dallas. As far as the difference between the two campuses its hard for me to say because I never set foot onto the Amarillo campus. Interviewed and am currently a P1 in Abilene. As far as our campus is concerned we love it very much we have nursing students in the building next door and biotechnology students in our building. The school of Public Health is being built right now on our campus which will be open when you get here. It is going to have even more study space and a larger lounge even though we already used our lounge and the nurses lounge just to mix it up.
Thank you! I'd love to come to Dallas year 3 and 4 but if not, staying at Abilene all 4 years is fine to me as well. I also interviewed at Abilene. Can you give me some suggestion on apartments? I was looking at The Groves but I heard it's not exactly a good place..

Thank you!!!! I'm still waiting on my package but I think I will be going to Abilene since it's where I put when I was at my interview. You're going to Amarillo right?
I put Abilene also but since the Mike from Amarillo emailed me I assumed I was placed there instead! Guess we will find out when we get the letters in the mail! :)

I put Abilene also but since the Mike from Amarillo emailed me I assumed I was placed there instead! Guess we will find out when we get the letters in the mail! :)
Me too, I also got the email from him amd I put Abilene! I guess we need to wait and see! :)

Last edited:
That's right, I also got the email from him!

Me too, I also got the email from him amd I put Abilene! I guess we need to wait and see! :)
I got my email from mike in Amarillo but I still got places in Abilene, so I think he just sends everyone's emails! :)

Thank you! I'd love to come to Dallas year 3 and 4 but if not, staying at Abilene all 4 years is fine to me as well. I also interviewed at Abilene. Can you give me some suggestion on apartments? I was looking at The Groves but I heard it's not exactly a good place..

I'm not a current pharmacy student but I've lived in Abilene the past 3 years for undergrad. For me I personally prefer living in a house here in Abilene and that's probably what you're going to find closer to campus! Anything around the acu or Abilene heights area isn't too bad! Plus I feel like you get more bang for your buck since it's either cheaper or the same price to rent a house with roommates :) the only downside is that a lot of the good houses here in Abilene aren't really posted online, rather you kind of have to drive around and find the for rent signs in the yards and then call the numbers to go look at the house, or you just have to know someone prior who rents out houses! Most go up for rent in March-April when current students notify their landlords they'll be moving out.

I'm not a current pharmacy student but I've lived in Abilene the past 3 years for undergrad. For me I personally prefer living in a house here in Abilene and that's probably what you're going to find closer to campus! Anything around the acu or Abilene heights area isn't too bad! Plus I feel like you get more bang for your buck since it's either cheaper or the same price to rent a house with roommates :) the only downside is that a lot of the good houses here in Abilene aren't really posted online, rather you kind of have to drive around and find the for rent signs in the yards and then call the numbers to go look at the house, or you just have to know someone prior who rents out houses! Most go up for rent in March-April when current students notify their landlords they'll be moving out.

I'd love to stay in a house as well, but I don't know anyone from the area yet, and have not made any friends :( so I don't know if I will be able to find a roommate prior to school start. I'm planning on going back to Abilene during Spring break and look at apartments and houses. So you're going to Abilene in the Fall 2016?

I'd love to stay in a house as well, but I don't know anyone from the area yet, and have not made any friends :( so I don't know if I will be able to find a roommate prior to school start. I'm planning on going back to Abilene during Spring break and look at apartments and houses. So you're going to Abilene in the Fall 2016?
I do have a lot of good suggestions for apartments. The Grove is like living in a dorm so you really have no privacy. Honestly in my opinion living on the north side of Abilene by all the college campuses puts you in no mans land if you want to do anything besides school. Most of my friends live on the south side there is more to do and the crime rate is lower, trust me I checked. Congrats and sit tight we will be in contact soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to the program last Monday and have yet to receive my official letter in the mail. Should I be concerned?

I got accepted to the program last Monday and have yet to receive my official letter in the mail. Should I be concerned?
I don't think so! I got an email on Tuesday and haven't recieved the letter in the mail yet so we are about in the same boat. Gotta love snail mail

I don't think so! I got an email on Tuesday and haven't recieved the letter in the mail yet so we are about in the same boat. Gotta love snail mail

Just make sure you don't get it too late cause it gives you a deadline to respond back by!

But how to we make sure we get it on time when we can't control the mail...now I a getting concerned!

Don't stress about getting the acceptance letter in time...at all. Mike is incredibly understanding. As long as you've payed the seat fee, don't worry about it, truly. I've had issues getting my acceptance letter to Amarillo. I got accepted in January, and wasn't able to send it back signed til today. Hahaha.

Hi im an incoming P1 for next fall. For those who are already accepted and going to be attending, or to those who are already in pharmacy school do you know the ins and outs of how to potentially find a roommate, or some decently priced apartments?

Hi im an incoming P1 for next fall. For those who are already accepted and going to be attending, or to those who are already in pharmacy school do you know the ins and outs of how to potentially find a roommate, or some decently priced apartments?
Depending on what school you are going to, current P1s will help you with that kind of stuff. I am in Abilene so we will be helping you in Abilene and some students in AMA will help their group. It will be through facebook.

Depending on what school you are going to, current P1s will help you with that kind of stuff. I am in Abilene so we will be helping you in Abilene and some students in AMA will help their group. It will be through facebook.
did you already put a Facebook page for us? :soexcited:

Im going to be at Amarillo campus, at least for the first two years. Do you know when this fb page will be up bc ideally I'd like to start looking for a place to live pretty soon?

Im going to be at Amarillo campus, at least for the first two years. Do you know when this fb page will be up bc ideally I'd like to start looking for a place to live pretty soon?
You can start looking now, no harm in that Amarillo and Abilene are small cities. Maybe not for a couple more weeks.

After you got accepted, how long did you get the actualy mail?

I got mine a few days later maybe 3-4. If you're worried you can message mike! The person above me is right they work with you really well!

Denied my spot for Amarillo/Dallas about 3 weeks ago; good luck!

I got mine a few days later maybe 3-4. If you're worried you can message mike! The person above me is right they work with you really well!

I got the official letter, did yours tell you which campus you're going?

I am aware that we must have a laptop that fits the minimum system specifications and softwares like Dell Latitude for quizzes and school work. But can I bring in my surface pro 3 for note taking or I can only bring in my laptop to class? I prefer writing things down with my stylus pen rather than typing class lectures through onenote on my laptop. Also, do you have any apartment that you would like to recommend over at Amarillo? I am thinking of taking a look of several apartments during the spring break with my roommate. We are looking for an apartment that are close to school, furnished if possible, and maybe even close to some of the grocery stores. And lastly, if you don't mind me asking, can you give me rough estimation of the amount of money that you must pay per year (housing, food, transportation, tuition, personal/misc)? I know that TTUHSC tuition is about $15,000. Do you really have to pay a lot for book or supplies fee considering that everything is online?
Sorry for a long post and any help is greatly appreciated. I can't wait to see my new classmate next fall.
Thank you very much!

Last edited:
I am aware that we must have a laptop that fits the minimum system specifications and softwares like Dell Latitude for quizzes and school work. But can I bring in my surface pro 3 for note taking or I can only bring in my laptop to class? I prefer writing things down with my stylus pen rather than typing class lectures through onenote on my laptop. Also, do you have any apartment that you would like to recommend over at Amarillo? I am thinking of taking a look of several apartments during the spring break with my roommate. We are looking for an apartment that are close to school, furnished if possible, and maybe even close to some of the grocery stores. And lastly, if you don't mind me asking, can you give me rough estimation of the amount of money that you must pay per year (housing, food, transportation, tuition, personal/misc)? I know that TTUHSC tuition is about $15,000. Do you really have to pay a lot for book or supplies fee considering that everything is online?
Sorry for a long post and any help is greatly appreciated. I can't wait to see my new classmate next fall.
Thank you very much!

no books needed, winchester or renassiance for apartment, bring any laptop u want , you can't use apple laptops to take tests

Hey y'all! I interviewed on Jan 15th in Abilene and was accepted a few days later, Jan 19th. But I haven't received anything about completing the criminal background check yet. Has anybody else? Or does anyone know when they should send out that info?

Hey y'all! I interviewed on Jan 15th in Abilene and was accepted a few days later, Jan 19th. But I haven't received anything about completing the criminal background check yet. Has anybody else? Or does anyone know when they should send out that info?
I talked to Mike the other day about it. I think they are waiting for everything to settle down. I know that Texas hasn't sent out acceptances yet so they are waiting for a more for sure idea of the students that will be attending in the fall. He told me more information will be coming our way in March so not to worry!

I talked to Mike the other day about it. I think they are waiting for everything to settle down. I know that Texas hasn't sent out acceptances yet so they are waiting for a more for sure idea of the students that will be attending in the fall. He told me more information will be coming our way in March so not to worry!
Thank you so much!

Hi! For those that got accepted and took the offer, did you guys get informed when they recieved the signed acceptance letter? I sent mine back last week and my merlin still says pending on acceptence letter/seat fee, i also paid the seat fee already so I just want to make sure everything is ok :(

Hi! For those that got accepted and took the offer, did you guys get informed when they recieved the signed acceptance letter? I sent mine back last week and my merlin still says pending on acceptence letter/seat fee, i also paid the seat fee already so I just want to make sure everything is ok :(
Check Pharmcas, it should show the date the school recieved it. It'll be under the supplemental materials tab.

How does the waiting list work for Tech? I called to see if I can find out where exactly I was on the list but Mike wasn't available. I left him a voicemail. In the meantime, however, I was wondering if anyone was in the same position as me & could give me any info.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yes I called & email Mike Schewtmann from Amarillo campus but he hasn't gotten back to me just yet. Thank you though for letting me know

Yes I called & email Mike Schewtmann from Amarillo campus but he hasn't gotten back to me just yet. Thank you though for letting me know

Hey guys, I just got the Criminal background check email.

Reactions: 1 users
I know of a two bedroom house that could be rented (very reasonable) in Amarillo. I'll talk more about that when fb comes. Of course, I don't check fb, so I may not know when it is set up.

Also, is anyone going for the MBA?

I am aware that we must have a laptop that fits the minimum system specifications and softwares like Dell Latitude for quizzes and school work. But can I bring in my surface pro 3 for note taking or I can only bring in my laptop to class? I prefer writing things down with my stylus pen rather than typing class lectures through onenote on my laptop. Also, do you have any apartment that you would like to recommend over at Amarillo? We are looking for an apartment that are close to school, furnished if possible, and maybe even close to some of the grocery stores.

I interviewed the very first day in Amarillo for early decision. One of the students said he uses his laptop to type notes and the surface to draw pictures/equations/etc. They don't seem to care what you use in class, but for tests, you CAN NOT use an apple computer. There is software that locks down the computer during the test and it is not compatible with Apple. I like Lenovo and ASUS. I have lost faith in Dell over the years, but the models that you buy through the school are very good. Also, at least in Amarillo, they support your computer repairs, on campus, if you buy the Dell through their program. If needed, they will have a loan computer for you. Again, the computers offered through the school are top of the line Dells, not the ones you get at walmart or best buy. The cost is comparable between the three brands.
**IMHO, it is worth getting the computer through the school, just to have the insurance of support and a backup computer should something go wrong about test time. It's not worth me failing a test because my hard drive crashed that morning. I'll take the school's Dell and the support they offer. Look, I'm probably the old guy in the class, but I've been around enough to see this stuff happen. Statistics are against someone; I hope it's not you. It's stress that we don't need. I also bought a Surface tablet w/pen. BTW, the school computer comes with 3 years of support... enough to get through classes. When I graduate and start making money, I will probably buy an ASUS; who knows.

Amarillo Area info:
Some of you mentioned apartments, grocers, and such... The Amarillo Campus is:
- across the street from the two hospitals (some rotations are at the VA hospital, not too far away, 9th and Bell/Amarillo Blvd)
- Walmart and United Supermarket are a 5 min drive (near Bell/Amarillo Blvd and Gem Lake Rd)
- A pharm resident I know lives in apartments on the Blvd (Amarillo Blvd), just south of wallace, very near the school
- the closest (not necessarily cheapest) apartment options will be down 9th, Wolflin, or along the Blvd.

Hey everybody if you were accepted message me here or on facebook my name is Michael Dean same profile pic.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, I am looking for housing in Amarillo. I am a mother of two elementary children. I am thinking Woodlands elementary school. Do you have any suggestions near the elementary school? 2 or 3 beds room apartment or home rental.
We live in Katy, suburban of Houston Metro and has very good school district. I am so concerned my kids. Since my husband works at Texas Medical Center, so I am still thinking leave the children here and I move to Amarillo by myself. Not easy for being a mom and also a student. Any suggestions of housing near Woodlands Elementary?

Hello, I am looking for housing in Amarillo. I am a mother of two elementary children. I am thinking Woodlands elementary school. Do you have any suggestions near the elementary school? 2 or 3 beds room apartment or home rental.
We live in Katy, suburban of Houston Metro and has very good school district. I am so concerned my kids. Since my husband works at Texas Medical Center, so I am still thinking leave the children here and I move to Amarillo by myself. Not easy for being a mom and also a student. Any suggestions of housing near Woodlands Elementary?
I messaged you back with information.

IMHO, it is worth getting the computer through the school, just to have the insurance of support and a backup computer should something go wrong about test time. It's not worth me failing a test because my hard drive crashed that morning. I'll take the school's Dell and the support they offer. Look, I'm probably the old guy in the class, but I've been around enough to see this stuff happen. Statistics are against someone; I hope it's not you. It's stress that we don't need. I also bought a Surface tablet w/pen. BTW, the school computer comes with 3 years of support... enough to get through classes. When I graduate and start making money, I will probably buy an ASUS; who knows.
You can have any Dell and get it serviced through the school, not just the models they recommend. They say Dell because the IT department people are Dell certified in repairs, so they can work on your Dell computer without voiding the warranty. They also support all other computers, but they cannot service your Asus, Mac, etc. You can also get the extended warranty on any Dell computer. It's just a box you click on the Dell website, but if you buy your laptop somewhere else you have to call in during the initial 1 year warranty and upgrade to the extended warranty.

Also, loaner laptops are available to all students, regardless of what kind of computer you normally use. I'm not sure if the way I read your comment is the way it was intended, but it sounds to me that loaner laptops are only available to people who buy their Dell through the school, which is not the case. Any student can check out a loaner. In Amarillo you just go to Student Services and request one. It's probably the same in Abilene.

On the subject of hard drive crashes, it does happen to at least one person every semester right before finals. If you like to take notes on your computer, this is where using OneNote or Dropbox will save you. Having your notes backed up regularly is extremely important. OneNote will back up your notes online, and you can recover them by logging in to your OneNote account (so don't just use OneNote, register your account!). I did take notes on my computer in the first semester, but switched back to paper notes since. So a hard drive crash doesn't concern me (I have a back up laptop and loaners are available) on the other hand, I have to worry about house fires because all of my notes are now extremely flammable.

is anyone here considering getting the surface pro 3/4? I know one of the main reasons they wanted us to get a laptop (besides it being Dell), was so that we could connect to the internet via an Ethernet port. Microsoft does offer an adapter to turn USB into Ethernet though!

is anyone here considering getting the surface pro 3/4? I know one of the main reasons they wanted us to get a laptop (besides it being Dell), was so that we could connect to the internet via an Ethernet port. Microsoft does offer an adapter to turn USB into Ethernet though!
There are plenty of people in my class who use the USB to ethernet adapter. It's just because with so many people on at the same time, sometimes the Wi-Fi crashes, and if you didn't remember to click "save" you lose your answers. The ethernet is more reliable. I still click save periodically to be safe.

You can have any Dell and get it serviced through the school, not just the models they recommend. They say Dell because the IT department people are Dell certified in repairs, so they can work on your Dell computer without voiding the warranty. They also support all other computers, but they cannot service your Asus, Mac, etc. You can also get the extended warranty on any Dell computer. It's just a box you click on the Dell website, but if you buy your laptop somewhere else you have to call in during the initial 1 year warranty and upgrade to the extended warranty.

Also, loaner laptops are available to all students, regardless of what kind of computer you normally use. I'm not sure if the way I read your comment is the way it was intended, but it sounds to me that loaner laptops are only available to people who buy their Dell through the school, which is not the case. Any student can check out a loaner. In Amarillo you just go to Student Services and request one. It's probably the same in Abilene.

On the subject of hard drive crashes, it does happen to at least one person every semester right before finals. If you like to take notes on your computer, this is where using OneNote or Dropbox will save you. Having your notes backed up regularly is extremely important. OneNote will back up your notes online, and you can recover them by logging in to your OneNote account (so don't just use OneNote, register your account!). I did take notes on my computer in the first semester, but switched back to paper notes since. So a hard drive crash doesn't concern me (I have a back up laptop and loaners are available) on the other hand, I have to worry about house fires because all of my notes are now extremely flammable.
Thank you for replying!
That's sounds reassuring because I currently own a Dell inspiron 15 and I am planning to use that instead of the Dell Latitude. Does it matter if my computer is a window 10? I know that they prefer a window 7 or 8. What about installing the mcAffe virus program? I have used the program before but it didnt work that well as other antivirus programs.
Ya I was thinking of saving most of my notes through onenote and I could always copy the notes over my external hard drive.