The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Accepted to NSUCOM! Withdrawing all my other applications! 😍

Congrats to everyone who received acceptances! Yay Underdogs!

I interviewed at NSUCOM (love this school) and Lecom-B (last minute invitation!) Haven't heard anything back yet 🙁.

New interviews: PCOM-GA, WVSOM and LECOM-Seton Hill. Just need 1 acceptance!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! I figured I'd add to this list too...
cGPA: 3.43
sGPA: 3.33
nGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 20M 🙁 -7/6/7 V/P/B

EC:
300hrs shadowing MDs & DO
100hr Hospital Front Desk
200hr Home school tutor
3.5 years optometry experience
500+hr Church/Community volunteer musician

I guess there are a few point the may help or hurt my application
1) Really low MCAT
2) Late application
3) Low clinical experience
4) URM (AA Male)

I applied to:
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN
Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS

Wondering if its too late or if I should even add more to the list?
 
Hello everyone! I figured I'd add to this list too...
cGPA: 3.43
sGPA: 3.33
nGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 20M 🙁 -7/6/7 V/P/B

EC:
300hrs shadowing MDs & DO
100hr Hospital Front Desk
200hr Home school tutor
3.5 years optometry experience
500+hr Church/Community volunteer musician

I guess there are a few point the may help or hurt my application
1) Really low MCAT
2) Late application
3) Low clinical experience
4) URM (AA Male)

I applied to:
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN
Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS

Wondering if its too late or if I should even add more to the list?

I don't wanna sound like a bad guy but MCAT is low even for URM. :xf::xf: for you. Good luck! Hope things work out for you.
 
Hello everyone! I figured I'd add to this list too...
cGPA: 3.43
sGPA: 3.33
nGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 20M 🙁 -7/6/7 V/P/B

EC:
300hrs shadowing MDs & DO
100hr Hospital Front Desk
200hr Home school tutor
3.5 years optometry experience
500+hr Church/Community volunteer musician

I guess there are a few point the may help or hurt my application
1) Really low MCAT
2) Late application
3) Low clinical experience
4) URM (AA Male)

I applied to:
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN
Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS

Wondering if its too late or if I should even add more to the list?

I have similar GPA's and a 20O on MCAT (not balanced). I decided to wait out this cycle and focus on killing the MCAT. Your URM status might help you a little, but you options, if there will be any, will be very limited to new/low tier schools. If you are set on applying this cycle, however, I suggest you indicate on your application that you are retaking the MCAT in January. Study from now till then, and you'll easily improve your score by at least 1 point across the board.

Good Luck
 
Hello everyone! I figured I'd add to this list too...
cGPA: 3.43
sGPA: 3.33
nGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 20M 🙁 -7/6/7 V/P/B

EC:
300hrs shadowing MDs & DO
100hr Hospital Front Desk
200hr Home school tutor
3.5 years optometry experience
500+hr Church/Community volunteer musician

I guess there are a few point the may help or hurt my application
1) Really low MCAT
2) Late application
3) Low clinical experience
4) URM (AA Male)

I applied to:
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN
Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS

Wondering if its too late or if I should even add more to the list?

your gpa/mcat is right on target for AA matriculants (22 mcat and like 3.2 gpa if I recall). you are a bit lower but not too much lower, id say you could get interviews but plan on a retake just in case. better safe then sorry.
 
Hello everyone! I figured I'd add to this list too...
cGPA: 3.43
sGPA: 3.33
nGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 20M 🙁 -7/6/7 V/P/B

Wondering if its too late or if I should even add more to the list?

UD indeed. I wouldn't add anymore schools unless you have money to burn. Retake your MCAT and try again next cycle. Everything else on your app looks great.
 
Hello everyone! I figured I'd add to this list too...
cGPA: 3.43
sGPA: 3.33
nGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 20M 🙁 -7/6/7 V/P/B

EC:
300hrs shadowing MDs & DO
100hr Hospital Front Desk
200hr Home school tutor
3.5 years optometry experience
500+hr Church/Community volunteer musician

I guess there are a few point the may help or hurt my application
1) Really low MCAT
2) Late application
3) Low clinical experience
4) URM (AA Male)

I applied to:
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN
Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS

Wondering if its too late or if I should even add more to the list?

I was under the impression LECOM Bradenton has a cut off MCAT of 24. Just an fyi.
 
Hello everyone! I figured I'd add to this list too...
cGPA: 3.43
sGPA: 3.33
nGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 20M 🙁 -7/6/7 V/P/B

EC:
300hrs shadowing MDs & DO
100hr Hospital Front Desk
200hr Home school tutor
3.5 years optometry experience
500+hr Church/Community volunteer musician

I guess there are a few point the may help or hurt my application
1) Really low MCAT
2) Late application
3) Low clinical experience
4) URM (AA Male)

I applied to:
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN
Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS

Wondering if its too late or if I should even add more to the list?
Retake the mcat and aim for 24+...You probably will not get in with that low MCAT even if you are an URM. Everything else in your application looks good.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To all my fellow underdogs that are applying late. Keep your head up!!! I called a few schools admissions and they said it is not late and there is still plenty of time!
 
hey guys for those of you who are extreme underdogs..

I have a 5 in VR.
People told me to save my money.
I applied in June.

I have 4 interviews, 1 acceptance and I find out this Friday, results of my last weeks interview.


Keep your heads up and be optimistic 👍
 
hey guys for those of you who are extreme underdogs..

I have a 5 in VR.
People told me to save my money.
I applied in June.

I have 4 interviews, 1 acceptance and I find out this Friday, results of my last weeks interview.


Keep your heads up and be optimistic 👍
And I was one to think the 5 would not get you into a program. I'm honestly happy for you and to be proven wrong. Congratulations on your first acceptance.
 
hey guys for those of you who are extreme underdogs..

I have a 5 in VR.
People told me to save my money.
I applied in June.

I have 4 interviews, 1 acceptance and I find out this Friday, results of my last weeks interview.


Keep your heads up and be optimistic 👍

were you the guy that had good science sub scores and a bad VR sub score? i feel like i had faith in you on your what are my chances thread but i dont remember lol
 
hey guys for those of you who are extreme underdogs..

I have a 5 in VR.
People told me to save my money.
I applied in June.

I have 4 interviews, 1 acceptance and I find out this Friday, results of my last weeks interview.


Keep your heads up and be optimistic 👍

First of all, Congratulations!!!

Second, would you mind sharing with us what school you interviewed at and to which one you were accepted? Also, when did you submit your primaries and secondaries? Are you a URM? Was that your only MCAT score, or did you retake it?

thanks
 
hey guys for those of you who are extreme underdogs..

I have a 5 in VR.
People told me to save my money.
I applied in June.

I have 4 interviews, 1 acceptance and I find out this Friday, results of my last weeks interview.


Keep your heads up and be optimistic 👍

Baller. I wonder if I was one of those people. What are your stats?

Edit. 3.48 3.27 11-5-11.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Got my mcat score today, not pleased at all. Messed up on the verbal.

I've sent in some secondarys already. How do I let them know that I will be retaking it?
 
hey guys for those of you who are extreme underdogs..

I have a 5 in VR.
People told me to save my money.
I applied in June.

I have 4 interviews, 1 acceptance and I find out this Friday, results of my last weeks interview.


Keep your heads up and be optimistic 👍

I also have a 5 on VR, but only received secondaries so far and no interviews.
 
hey guys for those of you who are extreme underdogs..

I have a 5 in VR.
People told me to save my money.
I applied in June.

I have 4 interviews, 1 acceptance and I find out this Friday, results of my last weeks interview.


Keep your heads up and be optimistic 👍

Nice. Where did you get accepted?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys for those of you who are extreme underdogs..

I have a 5 in VR.
People told me to save my money.
I applied in June.

I have 4 interviews, 1 acceptance and I find out this Friday, results of my last weeks interview.


Keep your heads up and be optimistic 👍

what are your EC's?
 
And I was one to think the 5 would not get you into a program. I'm honestly happy for you and to be proven wrong. Congratulations on your first acceptance.

thank you lol; honestly i was preparing my heart for either another re-take, or a change in direction but i figured i'd give it one last shot (i was considering DPM), and to be honest after what everybody said on SDN, felt like a shot in the dark -- i knew being early was crucial.

were you the guy that had good science sub scores and a bad VR sub score? i feel like i had faith in you on your what are my chances thread but i dont remember lol

yes I had 11 PS 5 VR 11 BS... my first mcat was 10 PS 5 VR 10 BS... (lol VR)

First of all, Congratulations!!!

Second, would you mind sharing with us what school you interviewed at and to which one you were accepted? Also, when did you submit your primaries and secondaries? Are you a URM? Was that your only MCAT score, or did you retake it?
thanks

I had two MCAT scores like I listed above, neither were anything to write home about. my GPA wasn't that great either, just average. I submitted my primaries day 1 but this year the aacomas got delayed and my app says June 24... and secondaries, I turned them around within 2-4 days after receiving them (except ATSU-SOMA I did it 3-4 weeks later)

I am currently accepted to Campbell in North Carolina; I just interviewed at LMU-DCOM last Thursday and will be finding about it this coming Friday when I will be interviewing at AT Still University. I also received a secondary from TouroNY which supposedly meant (little sketchy this year) secondary = interview; but after these first interviews, I might pass on the $200 secondary fee. Haven't heard any positive things about TouroNY from current MD/DO's I'm working with at the hospital. (No offense to Touro students)

Baller. I wonder if I was one of those people. What are your stats?

Edit. 3.48 3.27 11-5-11.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

3.48 3.27 11-5-11.

Nice. Where did you get accepted?

what are your EC's?

EC's... well I have a lot; but nothing unusual; the ideal/standard "SDN EC's"...
Volunteering in the ER
Shadowing Peds, IM, EM
DO Letter
2 years of research (no pubs)
and just a lot of other church extracurricular/leadership stuff.


I applied to I believe 15 programs (DO) only have received 1 straight up rejection post-secondary (DMU) and received secondaries from all other schools.
Still waiting to hear back from VCOM, Pike, WCU, PCOM, AZCOM.
although Campbell is new, I guess it's a little reassuring knowing one way or another I will be able to study medicine; and of course, fingers crossed for LMU as well.

Someone said on SDN... "3 interviews, and you will be a doctor" :laugh:

Hope that helps, if you have any questions you can PM me!
Don't let your hopes down, it's not all about numbers...

Goodluck!
 
Got my mcat score today, not pleased at all. Messed up on the verbal.

I've sent in some secondarys already. How do I let them know that I will be retaking it?

You update on your app by stating the planned MCAT date. Then the schools will receive the updated app with 'revised' written on it. To be sure, you could email each school and some will put you on hold.
 
Interview invite from ACOM! I know it's a new school but it's still pretty exciting considering how big of an underdog I am. Do any of you have any information on how many interviews they are granting? It seems like they are handing out quite a few...
 
Interview invite from ACOM! I know it's a new school but it's still pretty exciting considering how big of an underdog I am. Do any of you have any information on how many interviews they are granting? It seems like they are handing out quite a few...

ACOM is going to be a great school, trust me on that. they interview roughly 8 people each session with 8 sessions a month. Roughly 8 months of interviewing..theyll prob do around 500 interviews total which i think is pretty standard for their class size. the actual class size will prob go closer to 162 i believe..this will prob be the peak months when interviews are going out for schools
 
can someone that doesn't mind take a look at my PS?

First time writing anything like this since schools in Canada doesn't require it. I googled and read sdn on PS for at least couple days.

Any feedback would be nice.
It's a rough draft so I would like to know if contents are good
 
can someone that doesn't mind take a look at my PS?

First time writing anything like this since schools in Canada doesn't require it. I googled and read sdn on PS for at least couple days.

Any feedback would be nice.
It's a rough draft so I would like to know if contents are good

You should probably apply next cycle if you're still on your first draft at this point.
 
You should probably apply next cycle if you're still on your first draft at this point.

yeah if you havent even submitted your primary you wont even start getting secondaries in until november at least and thats when things get really tough.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah if you havent even submitted your primary you wont even start getting secondaries in until november at least and thats when things get really tough.

This and I'm of the opinion that it takes mire than a day or two to write a strong ps.





oh really?
from experience, is that because things are rolling basis?

Yup, rolling admissions.


Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
This is the most grounded thread on SDN by some distance. Also, +1 to ColeSmalls and co. for being prompt with letting interviews go if their minds have been made up. Makes a world of difference for the kid who gets that interview.

Keep it up kids. Let's fill the 2nd post with red.
 
This and I'm of the opinion that it takes mire than a day or two to write a strong ps.







Yup, rolling admissions.


Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
But are there any disadvantages of me applying right now instead of next year? Other than the admission $
(The only other disadvantages would be then I would waste a PS. I heard that you cannot use the same PS. Is this even true?)

I already spent quite a bit of time on this PS