The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not personally bothered by the rejection, but just at the process of accepting applicants. I am not saying there are better schools than others, but it is what it is. I even have on my app that I have a new MCAT score that should be coming in within a week. Oh well, that's the first of many rejections, I just didn't expect it to be LECOM-B of all places.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a theory about that.

While reading the U.S. News rankings I found an old quote cited to the RVU dean in which he stated high MCAT scores are highly correlated with students who move on to more competitive specialties, instead of primary care. When people on here or other places talk about rankings they are often referring to the U.S. News rankings. The only ranking D.O. schools show up on is "Top Primary Care Schools". So if RVU wants to one day say they are ranked highly by the U.S. News, they need to really push their students towards primary care. So I think, putting my tinfoil hat on, that RVU has an unspoken strategy in place to select students who will score in a sweet spot on COMLEX/USMLE where they're just high enough to pass, but not so high that they will be eligible for competitive specialties. I suspect that their admissions policies are centered completely around the profile of a student who will most likely go into primary care.

Lol what. I don't have data to disprove that statement, but it sounds ridiculous.
 
Found the quote! That took some power googling to find it again:

“Research has shown that the higher the MCAT scores, the more likely students will go into subspecialties,” notes Bruce D. Dubin, DO, JD, the dean of the Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Parker, Colo.

<http://www.do-online.org/TheDO/?p=61621.>

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my previous post. I meant that I don't have data to prove the RVU Dean wrong. I didn't mean that I thought you were making it up 👍
 
Odd that a new school such as the RVU, a for-profit school, has the ability to pick and choose more than the more established schools.
 
I have a theory about that.

While reading the U.S. News rankings I found an old quote cited to the RVU dean in which he stated high MCAT scores are highly correlated with students who move on to more competitive specialties, instead of primary care. When people on here or other places talk about rankings they are often referring to the U.S. News rankings. The only ranking D.O. schools show up on is "Top Primary Care Schools". So if RVU wants to one day say they are ranked highly by the U.S. News, they need to really push their students towards primary care. So I think, putting my tinfoil hat on, that RVU has an unspoken strategy in place to select students who will score in a sweet spot on COMLEX/USMLE where they're just high enough to pass, but not so high that they will be eligible for competitive specialties. I suspect that their admissions policies are centered completely around the profile of a student who will most likely go into primary care.

yeah but I have a 26 which isnt that high. I am not going to lie, and dont take offense to this guys but RVU just wasnt a top pick for me at all. When they rejected me my first thought was "why did I even pay for the secondary here?"
 
yeah but I have a 26 which isnt that high. I am not going to lie, and dont take offense to this guys but RVU just wasnt a top pick for me at all. When they rejected me my first thought was "why did I even pay for the secondary here?"

That's how I felt about vcu. What a waste

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Rejected by LECOM-B, CCOM, and DMU. Accepted at ACOM and just got interview to LMU!!! Yay! Been waiting on that one a long time 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all. I have a question. NOVA had a video that is preparatory for interviews to DO schools. They said that a very good question to ask during the interviews is "What are my chances in being accepted to this school?" do you think that's plausible or adcom would hate that?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
Hey all. I have a question. NOVA had a video that is preparatory for interviews to DO schools. They said that a very good question to ask during the interviews is "What are my chances in being accepted to this school?" do you think that's plausible or adcom would hate that?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Well if you're at an interview you're already good enough on paper. I would reword it to say "How many of those interviewed get accepted?"
 
Hey all. I have a question. NOVA had a video that is preparatory for interviews to DO schools. They said that a very good question to ask during the interviews is "What are my chances in being accepted to this school?" do you think that's plausible or adcom would hate that?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app


I asked that same question at the end of my interview. I wanted to show interest and stand out, but it really depends on how your interview goes and the personality of your interviewer. My interview was very laid-back and the interviewer was very friendly. The interview itself felt like a conversation, so I decided to ask the question. I would not have asked the question if the interview felt stressful, or very official/question answer sort of thing. You just have to feel out the situation. I was accepted into this school and I was told I had one of the higher interview scores. Goodluck!
 
So i have quite a few different secondary applications to fill out that I just received. I have a 3.95 gpa, but my mcat is (7p, 6v, 9b) 22O. Does it make sense to fill out many secondaries and pay a few hundred dollars, or is it too late for any such hope? Does almost everyone who applies get sent a secondary app? I am wondering because I realize it is late, but at the same time I want to be smart with my money/time of filling out secondary apps. Any input would be appreciated.
 
So i have quite a few different secondary applications to fill out that I just received. I have a 3.95 gpa, but my mcat is (7p, 6v, 9b) 22O. Does it make sense to fill out many secondaries and pay a few hundred dollars, or is it too late for any such hope? Does almost everyone who applies get sent a secondary app? I am wondering because I realize it is late, but at the same time I want to be smart with my money/time of filling out secondary apps. Any input would be appreciated.

Yes in most cases a secondary is sent to everyone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
First ii last night! Marian in November
Congratulations!!! I can't wait to get at least one 🙁
I was placed on preinterview hold last night by SUNY Upstate, and this is the only thing I have heard so far in terms of interviews. Sickly enough, I actually got happy with the email since it wasn't a rejection, but I am getting nervous.
 
Does it make sense to fill out many secondaries and pay a few hundred dollars, or is it too late for any such hope with my mcat being low??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have an opinion for me? I haven't heard from any schools and I didn't know if maybe this is a quiet time since they are currently having interviews...or if I should be worried. I have been compete for over a month now at most schools. I hear lots of chatter about getting interviews before the new year or else you will be interviews for the wait list. Any truth to this as well?
 
I feel you MCHEM, pretty quiet on my end too :/ I think many UD like us will be getting more calls around oct/nov. and yes, for many programs their spots will start to fill up by jan/feb
 
I feel you MCHEM, pretty quiet on my end too :/ I think many UD like us will be getting more calls around oct/nov. and yes, for many programs their spots will start to fill up by jan/feb

Oh man, stupid MCAT keeping biting me in the butt! But I understand high stats get high priority. Lets hope there is still room for us. Are you thinking of sending update letters or calling and checking up?
 
Oh man, stupid MCAT keeping biting me in the butt! But I understand high stats get high priority. Lets hope there is still room for us. Are you thinking of sending update letters or calling and checking up?

Yes 😀

But not sure what to put in the letter until I have significant updates to application. So I might wait a little.
 
quick update on my status:waitlisted post-interview to PNWUgoing to interivew at WVSOM on wednesdaygoing to interview at ACOM the following tuesday 10/16rejected from LECOM-B, RVUCOM (both post secondary), KCUMB (pre secondary)app placed on hold post secondary for LMU-DCOMcrickets from NSU, PCOM-GAI was so very disappointed about a waitlist status at PNWU, but now i'm just thrilled for an opportunity at WVSOM and ACOM 🙂 trying to remember: its not about one school in particular, its about becoming a doctor. this process is emotionally and financially exhausting! but it will make it all the more sweet to get an acceptance letter !! 🙂everyone who is feeling like me, hang in there!!
 
Congratulations!!! I can't wait to get at least one 🙁
I was placed on preinterview hold last night by SUNY Upstate, and this is the only thing I have heard so far in terms of interviews. Sickly enough, I actually got happy with the email since it wasn't a rejection, but I am getting nervous.

Keep your head in the game you'll get there whn you least expect it
 
Hey all. I have a question. NOVA had a video that is preparatory for interviews to DO schools. They said that a very good question to ask during the interviews is "What are my chances in being accepted to this school?" do you think that's plausible or adcom would hate that?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

I asked what they look for in an applicant. I thought it was nice because they pretty much repeated the qualities I was emphasizing about myself so I left feeling pretty good about my interview and was accepted 2 weeks later! 🙂 I would recommend asking a version of that question but be prepared for the answer!
 
Hey guys. This is the first time I've posted to SDN. I sent in my AACOMAS at the beginning of September and am still waiting for it to be verified. I graduated from UGA in Dec '11 with a 3.03 cGPA and a 2.91 sGPA. I was a triple major in Biochemistry, Plant Biology, and Biology. My MCAT was a 35: 10 V 12 B 13 P

I'm actually more interested in osteopathic schools than allopathic schools because I want to learn OMM (I think it makes sense). I was just wondering if anyone knew someone with a similar background who got into a (good) osteopathic school.

Thanks.
 
Hey guys. This is the first time I've posted to SDN. I sent in my AACOMAS at the beginning of September and am still waiting for it to be verified. I graduated from UGA in Dec '11 with a 3.03 cGPA and a 2.91 sGPA. I was a triple major in Biochemistry, Plant Biology, and Biology. My MCAT was a 35: 10 V 12 B 13 P

I'm actually more interested in osteopathic schools than allopathic schools because I want to learn OMM (I think it makes sense). I was just wondering if anyone knew someone with a similar background who got into a (good) osteopathic school.

Thanks.

MDs can do OMM, but I guess that's not the point.

3.26/33 here accepted to nsu this cycle. Similar stats, but I have a much less impressive major.. single major.

Sub 3.0 might hurt you a lot though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MDs can do OMM, but I guess that's not the point.

3.26/33 here accepted to nsu this cycle. Similar stats, but I have a much less impressive major.. single major.

Sub 3.0 might hurt you a lot though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
Thanks. My Fall semester of Sophomore year I didn't finish my classes at University of Miami and then transferred to UGA. So I received 2 F's and 2 D's which dragged me down pretty hard. I also took only sciences classes at UGA for 2.5 years straight (including two summers). Do schools look at course rigor?
 
Thanks. My Fall semester of Sophomore year I didn't finish my classes at University of Miami and then transferred to UGA. So I received 2 F's and 2 D's which dragged me down pretty hard. I also took only sciences classes at UGA for 2.5 years straight (including two summers). Do schools look at course rigor?

I think they do. Especially when you have an outlier gpa.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
MDs can do OMM, but I guess that's not the point.

3.26/33 here accepted to nsu this cycle. Similar stats, but I have a much less impressive major.. single major.

Sub 3.0 might hurt you a lot though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
Actually I realized I put in one of my courses into the wrong category. I'm now at sGPA of 3.03 and cGPA of 3.03.
 
First II on the cycle for me at WVSOM. Holy freakin' surprise of the month. I mean honestly, of all the schools I applied to, I expected to hear from them last.