The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But are there any disadvantages of me applying right now instead of next year? Other than the admission $
(The only other disadvantages would be then I would waste a PS. I heard that you cannot use the same PS. Is this even true?)

I already spent quite a bit of time on this PS

Not really. The DO reapplicant isn't as disadvantaged as their MD counterpart

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
The biggest disadvantage is that many, many people have interviews scheduled. Some in 2013 even. You are looking at submitting by Oct 1st. Verified by Nov.1 (maybe, if you're lucky). Secondaries take time. Looking at being complete mid-november-december. You would only have the option of interviewing in the spring essentially, when the competition is really stiff.
 
Oh and the actual process sucks. Writing essays sucks. Preparing for interviews sucks. Waiting to hear back sucks. Its something I cant imagine doing twice.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Darn.
Why is the competition stiff compared to the beginning anyways?
Aren't we all fighting for the spot from the start as well?

So I have 3.25cGPA and sGPA with a 26O (Canadian)
You think I would have a chance if I apply very early next cycle?

Just a shame that I spent a week on this PS and got a LOR from a DO (lol man was it hard to get a LOR from a DO in Canada. Apparently, it's illegal to shadow doctors here at the moment, unless you are a med student)
I guess I'll perfect-fy it for next year (?)
 
Darn.
Why is the competition stiff compared to the beginning anyways?
Aren't we all fighting for the spot from the start as well?

So I have 3.25cGPA and sGPA with a 26O (Canadian)
You think I would have a chance if I apply very early next cycle?

Just a shame that I spent a week on this PS and got a LOR from a DO (lol man was it hard to get a LOR from a DO in Canada. Apparently, it's illegal to shadow doctors here at the moment, unless you are a med student)
I guess I'll perfect-fy it for next year (?)

They review apps in order of completion. Some schools already started filling their class. Others have interviews scheduled. As spots get filled, schools can get pickier about the students they accept. Pickier = less love for low stat or even average stat applicants.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
But are there any disadvantages of me applying right now instead of next year? Other than the admission $
(The only other disadvantages would be then I would waste a PS. I heard that you cannot use the same PS. Is this even true?)

I already spent quite a bit of time on this PS

You may get some interview if you apply broadly. If you do not get accepted, it is a learning experience which required time and money.

Next year, once application cycle open, your primary are ready to be sending out. And Yes.. you can use all your 2013 info for 2014 cycle.
 
They review apps in order of completion. Some schools already started filling their class. Others have interviews scheduled. As spots get filled, schools can get pickier about the students they accept. Pickier = less love for low stat or even average stat applicants.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
Hmm that makes sense. I always thought they are going to be evenly picky throughout. Guess I was wrong

If you have already made up your mind about applying this year, there no need to ask other to justify your decision. Instead of wasting time in debating with other, I would focus on applying this year ASAP to see if you landed anywhere.

FYI. There will be MD applicant that is applying to DO application around this time. You may get some interview if you apply broadly. If you do not get accepted, it is a learning experience which required time and money.

Next year, once application cycle open, your primary are ready to be sending out. And Yes.. you can use all your 2013 info for 2014 cycle.

thanks guys
this is exactly what I want to hear

I don't mind the extra work. In the end, if I can get some interviews, some replies that will be experience! Experiences are always good!

Cheers!
 
can someone that doesn't mind take a look at my PS?

First time writing anything like this since schools in Canada doesn't require it. I googled and read sdn on PS for at least couple days.

Any feedback would be nice.
It's a rough draft so I would like to know if contents are good

OMG. This probably the most important essay you will every write; don't take it so lightly.

It took me months to perfect mine. I have literately written over 10 drafts of it, plus I had it proofread by one English professor, one doctor, three medical students, a prehealth advisor, and four graduate students. Despite all that, I still feel there's something I could add/remove to make it better.

As others have mentioned, you are way too late to submit your primaries now. Take your time writing the letter, have it ready for next cycle, and make sure you submit your AACOMAS on Day 1.

Good luck
 
Primary submitted 4 to 6 week to verify.
Take a week for School to download.
Take another week or two for screening (Not all school).
Supplement application Invite.
1 week or more to be complete.
2 to 4 week admission committee review.
Interview Invite.
4 weeks or longer for actual interview.
by then most slot are filled.
 
got verified today.... my stats are 3.14/2.98/29Q

freshmen year had a 2.3 gpa, last 2 years i was at around 3.6 ish

chinese canadian, just hoping to get a couple interviews at this point

turns out due to some ridiculous circumstances my freshman year courses cannot be repeated, so i am stuck with that anchor killing my application forever.
 
got verified today.... my stats are 3.14/2.98/29Q

freshmen year had a 2.3 gpa, last 2 years i was at around 3.6 ish

chinese canadian, just hoping to get a couple interviews at this point

turns out due to some ridiculous circumstances my freshman year courses cannot be repeated, so i am stuck with that anchor killing my application forever.
The 2.98 will be more of a holdup than being ORM/Canadian/late. Have you at least put down that you plan to retake or take some other courses?
 
The 2.98 will be more of a holdup than being ORM/Canadian/late. Have you at least put down that you plan to retake or take some other courses?

I can't repeat anything unfortunately. The 2.98 is there because I got a 2.3 in my first year, its 25 credits worth and one overall grade at the end of the year. AACOMAS lets you retake a course if its similar in content, and equal or greater in credit hours. There's no classes available that's 25 credits or greater to repeat with.

I have already spend months talking to AACOMAS about my situation trying to get them to give me an exception due to my circumstances. No luck. 🙁
 
Last edited:
Once you are verified do they recalc gpas?

Pre-verification

jmart: 3.35, 3.18, 26
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't repeat anything unfortunately. The 2.98 is there because I got a 2.3 in my first year in the Science One program in UBC, its 25 credits worth and one overall grade at the end of the year. AACOMAS lets you retake a course if its similar in content, and equal or greater in credit hours. There's no classes available that's 25 credits or greater to repeat with.

I have already spend months talking to AACOMAS about my situation trying to get them to give me an exception due to my circumstances. No luck. 🙁

are you serious? You took one class that was worth a whopping 25 credits? I didn't even know if this was possible.
 
Wow gives me hope that sub-3.0 applicants with avg MCATs are getting interviews - congrats!!

Now if I could only get verified - about a week left!
 
are you serious? You took one class that was worth a whopping 25 credits? I didn't even know if this was possible.

The university grouped all my first year science courses into one 25 credit program. And I am ****ed now cause I can't repeat any of it. 😡
 
Hey guys, I now have interviews at Alabama and Touro-NY!

Congrats to those getting interviews and acceptances. To those still waiting, keep holding out hope and stay productive.
 
yeah ive been really busy so i have not withdrawed from other schools yet so I ended up getting an interview invite from touro-NV today but im pretty set on acom tho
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview invite #2! PCOM-Ga on Oct 19th.

I interviewed with VCOM-CC last week and will get my decision on Oct 18th.

Could be a very good week 🙂.
 
As of 10/2/2012

Submitted Primary to 5 Schools
of those...
Completed Secondary to 4 Schools
of those...
Rejected by 1 school
Interview Invites by 0 schools

3.2/3.4/34

I really hope someone shows me some love soon.

With those stats, you are definitely not an underdog. Hang in there, you will get some love. Was the rejection from an MD school?
 
As of 10/2/2012

Submitted Primary to 5 Schools
of those...
Completed Secondary to 4 Schools
of those...
Rejected by 1 school
Interview Invites by 0 schools

3.2/3.4/34

I really hope someone shows me some love soon.

Be patient. You have good combined stats.

What schools did you apply to?
 
A little late to the game but thought I'd add my name in.

EndersRebutal

cgpa: 3.41
sgpa: 3.25
MCAT: 25L (8b-8p-9v)

Submited Primary 8/25
Verified: 10/2 (took'em a little longer than expected but i was a little late to the game)

Currently waiting on secondaries fingers crossed.
 
Adding my name in: Emolee

cgpa: 3.58
sgpa: 3.35
mcat: 25-S (7p-8v-10b)

MI resident, patiently waiting for that first ii....or just an acceptance from MSU (fingers crossed)

A little late to the game but thought I'd add my name in.

EndersRebutal

cgpa: 3.41
sgpa: 3.25
MCAT: 25L (8b-8p-9v)

Submited Primary 8/25
Verified: 10/2 (took'em a little longer than expected but i was a little late to the game)

Currently waiting on secondaries fingers crossed.


Good luck guys!
 
Is there a summary of some of the underdogs that got accepted with stats shown and to which schools??

I had a problem with my application, and I just received a few secondary applications (CCOM & Campbell). Is there any type of shot yet this round of applications or next cycle if I get my application in? Also, I am a Caucasian male.

3.95 GPA / 22 MCAT [7p, 6v, 9b] ..(for those schools that take your top scores from each section, I would end up with a 23)

PS - I'm a Wisconsin resident
 
Is there a summary of some of the underdogs that got accepted with stats shown and to which schools??

I had a problem with my application, and I just received a few secondary applications (CCOM & Campbell). Is there any type of shot yet this round of applications or next cycle if I get my application in? Also, I am a Caucasian male.

3.95 GPA / 22 MCAT [7p, 6v, 9b] ..(for those schools that take your top scores from each section, I would end up with a 23)

PS - I'm a Wisconsin resident

Your GPA is awesome! Why not take MCAT again and totally dominate next cycle? Seriously jealous of that GPA though!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As of 10/2/2012

Submitted Primary to 5 Schools
of those...
Completed Secondary to 4 Schools
of those...
Rejected by 1 school
Interview Invites by 0 schools

3.2/3.4/34

I really hope someone shows me some love soon.

Who rejected you?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
3.95 GPA / 22 MCAT [7p, 6v, 9b] ..(for those schools that take your top scores from each section, I would end up with a 23)

For the sake of your future, please retake the MCAT.

With that GPA, you have demonstrated you have the skills to adapt and succeed. With that GPA, you have demonstrated that nowhere in your life is such a low MCAT score acceptable to you.
 
I was accepted to KCUMB and somehow rejected at LECOM-B. Any idea why? MCAT threshold?

Eh, every school is different. I think group interviews can do more harm than good. Still KCUMB is a pretty awesome acceptance so I wouldn't dwell on getting rejected from LECOM-B.