The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The more recent AAMC practice tests (higher numbers) are supposed to be more representative of how you would do on the real MCAT because they are more recent.

What about the Kaplan and Berkeley Review tests? If you score a 30 on a Kaplan FL what does that translate out to on the real MCAT? How about if you score that on TBR FL?
 
What about the Kaplan and Berkeley Review tests? If you score a 30 on a Kaplan FL what does that translate out to on the real MCAT? How about if you score that on TBR FL?

Someone else will have to comment on TBR and Berkely, but if I remember correctly Kaplan scores you harder - so you should do one or points better on the real thing than you do on those tests (supposedly). But it's been a while for me so someone correct me if I'm wrong!
 
What about the Kaplan and Berkeley Review tests? If you score a 30 on a Kaplan FL what does that translate out to on the real MCAT? How about if you score that on TBR FL?

I did three Kaplan FL in the week leading up to my exam, and they were a few points lower than my actual score.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still trying to decide if I should retake MCAT. Applying next cycle.

3.64 cGPA
3.43 sGPA

25 MCAT (9, 7, 9)

Illinois resident

Willing to go anywhere

Thoughts?

Your stats are almost identical to mine and I am also from Illinois. I have a 22 and a 26 on the MCAT. I think you have a great shot and should apply without any problems.
 
People need to be retaking a 25, especially if you have a whole year. Don't worry about your score going down. Get some review stuff (I like EK), follow their programs, take practice tests. Remember that many people report a slight drop in test day score vs avg aamc test. Mine went down 2 or 3 from my avg. Aim for upper 20s or higher. 28, 29, 30 is going to KICK open doors that a 25 will knock on. If you are hitting 30+ish consistently on aamc's then pull the trigger and take the test. Don't rush it. January is great but don't take it too early.
 
I just submitted my primaries a week ago... I'm crossing my fingers hoping that I'll be able to get an interview!
 
I am new to this forum and would really appreciate some advice as I am definitely a UD.
My story- I went to nursing school thinking I wanted to become a CRNA but after working a year in critical care at a large university hospital I decided to go back and take some of the prerequs I lacked to apply to med school. I have a 3.55 sgpa 3.53 cgpa and 22P mcat. For the past 1.5 years I have been working at night and going to school during the day (exausting). I finished both orgo/physics requirements and 1 bio class and have a 3.84 gpa from those courses. I just finished orgo II this summer and had minimal time to study between class and work before taking the mcat on sept 11. I am about to be 28 and I am ready to get started now instead of waiting. I will have about 3.5 years critical care experience as an RN by the time I would start DO school. Would I have any chance at D.O. or am I wasting time and money?
 
sad MCAT: 21 (was scoring 27-30 on practice test...the really think is not just not working for me...wish I had better standardized testing taking ability 🙁

Guess I should start saving money to re-take the MCAT and apply next cycle. I want to stay in the midwest and go to CCOM, DCOM, OR A.T. Still.

If I were in your shoes, wanting to go to the schools you do, I'd save my money this cycle if you haven't already applied.

Scoring 9 points below your practice tests is something that is probably fixable. You have great GPA's, so take 3-5 months and take a full time job of studying for the MCAT. I don't see you having much shot at those schools with a 21. Or even a 24.

Good luck. 👍
 
If I were in your shoes, wanting to go to the schools you do, I'd save my money this cycle if you haven't already applied.

Scoring 9 points below your practice tests is something that is probably fixable. You have great GPA's, so take 3-5 months and take a full time job of studying for the MCAT. I don't see you having much shot at those schools with a 21. Or even a 24.

Good luck. 👍
Yeah that's what I figured too 🙁 I'm hoping maybe jusssst maybe my EC's and LOR's MIGHT help me, I don't know though. I have a lot of great EC's. I would list them... but it would take me a long time..to much of a hassle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Woo! First acceptance? Congrats! 🙂

Thanks! Yes it's the first and hopefully not the last. It's amazing the weight off your shoulders when you get that because it's no longer an "if" but now a "when", but KCUMB felt like a better fit for me so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.:xf:
 
I am new to this forum and would really appreciate some advice as I am definitely a UD.
My story- I went to nursing school thinking I wanted to become a CRNA but after working a year in critical care at a large university hospital I decided to go back and take some of the prerequs I lacked to apply to med school. I have a 3.55 sgpa 3.53 cgpa and 22P mcat. For the past 1.5 years I have been working at night and going to school during the day (exausting). I finished both orgo/physics requirements and 1 bio class and have a 3.84 gpa from those courses. I just finished orgo II this summer and had minimal time to study between class and work before taking the mcat on sept 11. I am about to be 28 and I am ready to get started now instead of waiting. I will have about 3.5 years critical care experience as an RN by the time I would start DO school. Would I have any chance at D.O. or am I wasting time and money?


I believe someone from last year's thread got in somewhere with a 21 or 22. ANYTHING is possible (may not be likely, but possible, 🙂 ). I know the idea of waiting isn't appealing, but squeezing out another couple points on the MCAT, and applying next year may provide you with a much better shot. You probably have great clinical experiences, and stories to discuss. A 24 will probably get you in somewhere, provided you can muster up a great PS.
 
This is my first time applying and I am not sure if should apply this year I dont want to wait another year. So maybe you guys can help me i have a cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.37, MCAT 23 and i dont care where i get accpeted. Do i have a chance.
 
This is my first time applying and I am not sure if should apply this year I dont want to wait another year. So maybe you guys can help me i have a cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.37, MCAT 23 and i dont care where i get accpeted. Do i have a chance.

No. The ship has sailed on submitting applications for this cycle. Likely no for next cycle too unless you retake the MCAT and do better.
 
No. The ship has sailed on submitting applications for this cycle. Likely no for next cycle too unless you retake the MCAT and do better.

That's not true... You probably don't have a much of a chance this cycle because its so late but people have gotten in with a 23 with a stellar application (volunteer, research, ECs, etc.). However, if your going to wait anyway, might as well study and take it again.
 
That's not true... You probably don't have a much of a chance this cycle because its so late but people have gotten in with a 23 with a stellar application (volunteer, research, ECs, etc.). However, if your going to wait anyway, might as well study and take it again.

Go look up "unlikely" in the thesaurus. Ypull see that it isnt synonymous with impossible. What I said is very true. You are unlikely to get in with a 23.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Go look up "unlikely" in the thesaurus. Ypull see that it isnt synonymous with impossible. What I said is very true. You are unlikely to get in with a 23.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

🙁 I was just trying to combat some of that negativity and give them a better idea of what they'll need to get in with a 23.
 
🙁 I was just trying to combat some of that negativity and give them a better idea of what they'll need to get in with a 23.

Or you could encourage them to spend some time and bring their scores up. I mean with an entire year, they have no excuse to not get at least a 26.
 
Or you could encourage them to spend some time and bring their scores up. I mean with an entire year, they have no excuse to not get at least a 26.

I'd hate to continue to argue but I did say that. I have no idea what's up with all this but I'm done posting on this thread. I was trying to give my point of view. Sorry you didn't like my input.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't take it to heart. This is one of the only places where the usual posters get to splash their false authority around
 
This is my first time applying and I am not sure if should apply this year I dont want to wait another year. So maybe you guys can help me i have a cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.37, MCAT 23 and i dont care where i get accpeted. Do i have a chance.

Crazier things have happened but with numbers like those you ideally would've been rolling on applications this summer. 3.3x with a 23 is a hard sell.
 
🙁 I was just trying to combat some of that negativity and give them a better idea of what they'll need to get in with a 23.

I just think perceived negativity is more helpful than false hope. Yeah they can get in with a 23, but I wouldn't recommend applying with a 23 in October. I also wouldn't recommend sitting on a 23 so you can apply with it in ~8 months.
 
I just think perceived negativity is more helpful than false hope. Yeah they can get in with a 23, but I wouldn't recommend applying with a 23 in October. I also wouldn't recommend sitting on a 23 so you can apply with it in ~8 months.

Totally true. I'd recommend the same exact thing. You could try being a little more poetic with your words though 😉 😛
 
This is my first time applying and I am not sure if should apply this year I dont want to wait another year. So maybe you guys can help me i have a cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.37, MCAT 23 and i dont care where i get accpeted. Do i have a chance.

Seems like you have your answer from the others that responded to you. My only contribution to the replies is that you don't want to be a "re-applicant." Having read through many threads on SDN, such a status puts you even further down the list of desirable applicants. You're better off waiting and retaking than spending tons of money on applying when the odds are severely against you.

If you apply now, I think you're going to find yourself a year "behind" anyway, with the re-applicant status working against you.
 
There has to be some realism here. A 3.3/23 would be a hard sell if submitted June 1st. If a strong retake can make it a 3.3/28+ and submitted on June 1st next year, I can see multiple interviews/acceptances.

I'd love to see the poster apply now and prove everyone wrong, but it doesn't mean we should act like we think it's a good idea in the spirit of camaraderie.
 
This is the underdog forum... A place where people with low stats go for advice... If I wanted to feel like crap about my stats, I would just go to the regular school discussion forum. If you read my post I said to take it again if you reapply because there is so much time but there is def hope for a 23 with a great app but it is late. Other people said the same thing, but for some reason when I said it I was being naive. Idk.
 
Last edited:
MedPR always gives logical advice, he's not sugar coating reality, which is a lot better than being overly supportive.

Agreed, I had a 24 MCAT with a much higher GPA and it was pretty hard for me. I had some success this cycle, but I was early too. There are a lot of factors... You just got to put yourself in the best situation you can.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. Can someone give me an estimated timeline? I got my AACOMAS verified wednesday 10/16. I just wondering when I should expect the schools to receive my application.