You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread
Started by TriagePreMed
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Acceptance #3: PCOM-GA 😍
Decisions, decisions...
Decisions, decisions...
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, same old question. I am a senior neurobio with a 3.53 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, and a 3.7 nsGPA. I just got my mcat score back today and it was a 23O. I am disappointed with that score but it seems my GPA is at the average or a little above for some of the schools. I have over a year of shadowing a variety of physicians. I am currently working as a phlebotomist/lab tech at a private doctors office that sees 14,000 patients a year, so I am familiar with the medical setting and different insurance policies. I was also the scholarship chair of my fraternity and played a collegiate sport for 2 years. I just want to figure out my chances to gain admittance to any DO school.
I dont want to create another thread for such a simple question. I withdrew my application before sending any secondaries...Will schools consider me as reapplicant next cycle?
Hey guys, same old question. I am a senior neurobio with a 3.53 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, and a 3.7 nsGPA. I just got my mcat score back today and it was a 23O. I am disappointed with that score but it seems my GPA is at the average or a little above for some of the schools. I have over a year of shadowing a variety of physicians. I am currently working as a phlebotomist/lab tech at a private doctors office that sees 14,000 patients a year, so I am familiar with the medical setting and different insurance policies. I was also the scholarship chair of my fraternity and played a collegiate sport for 2 years. I just want to figure out my chances to gain admittance to any DO school.
It's certainly possible. If you're applying next cycle I'd highly suggest retaking it though.
So then that's when I show them my new MCAT .. One that represents my practice scores.. 28-33. Choked bigg time. But what's done is done..
My next question though, do med schools frown upon reapplicants?
Probably not, as long as you can show improvement.
Stats: cGPA - 3.80; sGPA - 3.82. MCAT 26Q. First time applicant. My verbal score is extremely low. I have scored around the national averages in the other two sections. I have fairly decent ECs with research, TAing, volunteering and shadowing. I've also been on a couple of international medical service trips.
Applying to: CCOM, LECOM, PCOM - both campuses; VCOM Carolina's, and DMU.
Also applying to a few MDs but haven't had much success.
I would really appreciate some feedback on my chances this application cycle.
Applying to: CCOM, LECOM, PCOM - both campuses; VCOM Carolina's, and DMU.
Also applying to a few MDs but haven't had much success.
I would really appreciate some feedback on my chances this application cycle.
If your VR is <6, you might have a tough shot at DO. Your chances are pretty good if VR is 6+...Are you applying this year?...It's kind of late if your app has not been verified yet...Stats: cGPA - 3.80; sGPA - 3.82. MCAT 26Q. First time applicant. My verbal score is extremely low. I have scored around the national averages in the other two sections. I have fairly decent ECs with research, TAing, volunteering and shadowing. I've also been on a couple of international medical service trips.
Applying to: CCOM, LECOM, PCOM - both campuses; VCOM Carolina's, and DMU.
Also applying to a few MDs but haven't had much success.
I would really appreciate some feedback on my chances this application cycle.
Yes I am applying this cycle. My application is already verified and am currently working on secondaries. I was wondering what my chances were at getting into one of these schools. Thank you for the feedbackIf your VR is <6, you might have a tough shot at DO. Your chances are pretty good if VR is 6+...Are you applying this year?...It's kind of late if your app has not been verified yet...
I think you definitely have a shot at one of these schools if your VR is 6+.Yes I am applying this cycle. My application is already verified and am currently working on secondaries. I was wondering what my chances were at getting into one of these schools. Thank you for the feedback
Congrats, i hope it goes really well for you 🙂
Congrats, i hope it goes really well for you 🙂
Thanks so much 🙂 I've heard nothing but good things 👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got my first Interview invite of the season at OSUCOM for November 14th! As you can tell by my stats (3.3 sgpa, 3.52 cgpa, 25n mcat), there's hope for all us underdogs
Omg your so lucky!!! Are you in state??
.
Last edited:
Omg your so lucky!!! Are you in state??
Yup
First acceptance for this UD! Got into Marian! 😀
Nice!!
That's awesome! 🙂First acceptance for this UD! Got into Marian! 😀
.
Last edited:
First acceptance for this UD! Got into Marian! 😀
Congratz CatDoc! 👍
Feel bad for some of my UD friends that didn't submit early. Dude still isn't verified (submitted 10/13). MCAT of 23 sGPA of 3.4 and its not looking good for him. Future underdogs for the love of god submit early- I'm talking first day...
There are people in my post bac program that think applying in November or December is fine with UD stats- thanks SDN
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar
honestly, if it wasn't for SDN , I wouldn't have even known about the importance of applying early. SDN gets a lot of slack but I have found it to be an excellent resource.
honestly, if it wasn't for SDN , I wouldn't have even known about the importance of applying early. SDN gets a lot of slack but I have found it to be an excellent resource.
+1 👍
Sent from my Galaxy S2
Accepted to kcumb!!!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh yeah and to add to it I got an II at DMU, but cancelled it once I got home to check the mail! Thanks meows I really appreciate it!
Oh yeah and to add to it I got an II at DMU, but cancelled it once I got home to check the mail! Thanks meows I really appreciate it!
That's gotta feel pretty baller to start turning down interviews, especially to a great place like DMU. Idk if I coulda turned down DMU though, I've heard nothing but good things. Too bad I already got rejected 👎 🙄
3.3/29 just finished secondaries at end of Oct. Applied to DMU, MSU, WesternP, AZ, AT Still Az, CCOM, PCOM, NOVA and a ton of MDs
No 2ndary from MSU yet however
No 2ndary from MSU yet however
That's gotta feel pretty baller to start turning down interviews, especially to a great place like DMU. Idk if I coulda turned down DMU though, I've heard nothing but good things. Too bad I already got rejected 👎 🙄
Haha I understand what you mean but for me, KCUMB is a great school and KC is a great place for my family. I've heard the same great things about both schools (including people that interviewed at both) and they've said they're similar and they loved them both the same, making the decision unbearably difficult. All these things considered, I have to put down 1K on Dec 15th at KCUMB (interview was scheduled for Dec 14 at DMU) and I don't want to waste a penny as I've got a wife and baby to support. So hopefully someone who needs it more can take that interview spot.
Haha I understand what you mean but for me, KCUMB is a great school and KC is a great place for my family. I've heard the same great things about both schools (including people that interviewed at both) and they've said they're similar and they loved them both the same, making the decision unbearably difficult. All these things considered, I have to put down 1K on Dec 15th at KCUMB (interview was scheduled for Dec 14 at DMU) and I don't want to waste a penny as I've got a wife and baby to support. So hopefully someone who needs it more can take that interview spot.
Totally understandable! I figured you had a good reason 😉 😛 congrats again!!
3.3/29 just finished secondaries at end of Oct. Applied to DMU, MSU, WesternP, AZ, AT Still Az, CCOM, PCOM, NOVA and a ton of MDs
No 2ndary from MSU yet however
Good news: you're not an underdog.
Good news: you're not an underdog.
Hahahaha +1 to this comment. But we'll support ya nonetheless wipeout! 👍
rejected from CCOM... tbh it's been a ****ty couple of weeks, but hey WVSOM interview is this weekend!
rejected from CCOM... tbh it's been a ****ty couple of weeks, but hey WVSOM interview is this weekend!
I'm sorry did u just find out? Good luck on WVSOM I hope u rock that
Good news: you're not an underdog.
3.3/29 not an underdog? I love you guys over here in the underdog thread, you're a lot more forgiving than people everywhere else on SDN lol. 3.3/30 here applying next cycle!
4
411309
never listen to SDN about your chances, most of the people on here are full of **** and have no idea what they're talking about. go by averages, and a 3.3/29 is competitve compared to the average of 3.45/26.5.
I was slightly below average (despite many people deciding my stats were terrible) with a 3.3/26 and received interviews to 1/3 of the schools i applied to.
I was slightly below average (despite many people deciding my stats were terrible) with a 3.3/26 and received interviews to 1/3 of the schools i applied to.
3.3/29 not an underdog? I love you guys over here in the underdog thread, you're a lot more forgiving than people everywhere else on SDN lol. 3.3/30 here applying next cycle!
Your stats are above average.
hey everyone! people on here told me I had a slim chance of getting accepted.. 6 interviews, attended 3 so far, 2 acceptances (KCUMB, KCOM) 1 wait list (DMU). 24R 3.78 3.76. Never give up 🙂
Well, your high GPA had abundantly compensated for your below-average MCAT.
Your stats are above average.
Oh yeah sometimes I forget this thread is Pre-Osteo, I think me and the other guy's stats probably still classify as underdog for MD 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sorry did u just find out? Good luck on WVSOM I hope u rock that
Yeah, light letters never contain good news lol. Thanks though!
Hey y'all, pretty sure I'm an underdog too.
3.2 GPA/ 27Q MCAT
So far I've gotten rejections CCOM and KCUMB, still waiting on Touro-NY, LMU-DCOM, MUCOM, and LECOM. My secondaries were complete between 10/10 and 10/26. I'm still waiting on a secondary from Touro-NV. I'm starting to get anxious, do you think I should add more schools this late? Also, when is an acceptable time to start calling schools to follow up on my application?
To people who are currently going through their second/third cycle, how early did you start considering alternative programs the first time around? Any suggestions on a time frame for applications/GRE, or types/number of graduate programs I should consider? My undergrad has a couple postbacc programs, but students must be waitlisted in a medical school to qualify. Any suggestions on other programs would be much appreciated!!
However, I'm still hopeful I'll get some love from DO schools this round! Good luck to all my fellow underdogs! We can do it!!
3.2 GPA/ 27Q MCAT
So far I've gotten rejections CCOM and KCUMB, still waiting on Touro-NY, LMU-DCOM, MUCOM, and LECOM. My secondaries were complete between 10/10 and 10/26. I'm still waiting on a secondary from Touro-NV. I'm starting to get anxious, do you think I should add more schools this late? Also, when is an acceptable time to start calling schools to follow up on my application?
To people who are currently going through their second/third cycle, how early did you start considering alternative programs the first time around? Any suggestions on a time frame for applications/GRE, or types/number of graduate programs I should consider? My undergrad has a couple postbacc programs, but students must be waitlisted in a medical school to qualify. Any suggestions on other programs would be much appreciated!!
However, I'm still hopeful I'll get some love from DO schools this round! Good luck to all my fellow underdogs! We can do it!!
Hey y'all, pretty sure I'm an underdog too.
3.2 GPA/ 27Q MCAT
So far I've gotten rejections CCOM and KCUMB, still waiting on Touro-NY, LMU-DCOM, MUCOM, and LECOM. My secondaries were complete between 10/10 and 10/26. I'm still waiting on a secondary from Touro-NV. I'm starting to get anxious, do you think I should add more schools this late? Also, when is an acceptable time to start calling schools to follow up on my application?
To people who are currently going through their second/third cycle, how early did you start considering alternative programs the first time around? Any suggestions on a time frame for applications/GRE, or types/number of graduate programs I should consider? My undergrad has a couple postbacc programs, but students must be waitlisted in a medical school to qualify. Any suggestions on other programs would be much appreciated!!
However, I'm still hopeful I'll get some love from DO schools this round! Good luck to all my fellow underdogs! We can do it!!
CCOM has a 9 month and a 2 years masters program you can do. Good luck
CCOM has a 9 month and a 2 years masters program you can do. Good luck
+1. I did this program and started considering it probably January of that cycle I was in. Accepted to it that February.
And your stats aren't too terrible, you could still get some love from the schools you listed. It's been less than a month. Good luck!
I got rejected from KCUMB yesterday.... is this the start of a trend? Sent out secondaries October 14th.
3.35 3.3 26
here's the rest of the schools i sent out secondaries to:
A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, Admissions Office, IL
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas Campus, SC
Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, GA
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine,




3.35 3.3 26
here's the rest of the schools i sent out secondaries to:
A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, Admissions Office, IL
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas Campus, SC
Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, GA
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine,




Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 15
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K