You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread
Started by TriagePreMed
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey all,
cGPA 3.52, sGPA 3.30, MCAT 25N, 300+ hours of clinical experience with what should be pretty good LORs from my prehealth committee, an MD, and a DO. I have other ECs including typical volunteer work and premed organizations but don't feel like listing them all.
I was complete at 9 schools about a week ago and got first rejection email from DMU today. The anxiety is killing me because I know I'm at the low end of the spectrum (stat-wise) but ultimately I just need one school to see my potential and take a chance on me. Good luck to my fellow underdogs.
cGPA 3.52, sGPA 3.30, MCAT 25N, 300+ hours of clinical experience with what should be pretty good LORs from my prehealth committee, an MD, and a DO. I have other ECs including typical volunteer work and premed organizations but don't feel like listing them all.
I was complete at 9 schools about a week ago and got first rejection email from DMU today. The anxiety is killing me because I know I'm at the low end of the spectrum (stat-wise) but ultimately I just need one school to see my potential and take a chance on me. Good luck to my fellow underdogs.
Last edited:
I haven't heard squat from DMU. I don't even have biochem on my app so I'm not expecting much, lol.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,
cGPA 3.52, sGPA 3.30, MCAT 25N, 300+ hours of clinical experience with what should be pretty good LORs from my prehealth committee, an MD, and a DO. I have other ECs including typical volunteer work and premed organizations but don't feel like listing them all.
I was complete at 9 schools about a week ago and got first rejection email from DMU today. The anxiety is killing me because I know I'm at the low end of the spectrum (stat-wise) but ultimately I just need one school to see my potential and take a chance on me. Good luck to my fellow underdogs.
Good news: you are not an underdog.
Bad news: you are not an underdog 😉
Good news: you are not an underdog.
Bad news: you are not an underdog 😉
Haha, well I sure feel like one. Especially with such a quick rejection notice from DMU even though I realize it is a top-tier DO school. All this waiting is slowly giving me high blood pressure. I feel like a couple of interview invites would help put my mind at ease. But hey, it's out of my hands now.
Holy smokes...DMU interview invite!
3.15 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA and 30M MCAT
Congrats!!
Interview invite at NYCOM today!
27R...3.3 UG....3.6 Science
27R...3.3 UG....3.6 Science
Holy smokes...DMU interview invite!
3.15 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA and 30M MCAT
Congrats! Your science gpa helps alot. Good luck
Interview invite at NYCOM today!
27R...3.3 UG....3.6 Science
Congrats!
Holy smokes...DMU interview invite!
3.15 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA and 30M MCAT
Well done!! We have similar stats currently--mine can always go way down or slightly up, I suppose. I hope I can get as good a MCAT as you did.
Again, very well done. Keep us posted!
alittlesenough - 3.42 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 26R
i finished all i secondaries on sunday, just waiting for interviews! also, got panicky and applied to two more schools, waiting for the secondaries.
congrats to all the underdogs who've been accepted! i hope to be in your shoes soon!
i finished all i secondaries on sunday, just waiting for interviews! also, got panicky and applied to two more schools, waiting for the secondaries.
congrats to all the underdogs who've been accepted! i hope to be in your shoes soon!
Last edited:
Interview invite to Touro NV.
We're right around the same stats - 27Q, 3.4 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA. I just submitted most secondaries and (like you) added a few more to pull up my total D.O. schools to 10. Let me know if you start hearing anything back! I'm getting anxious already.alittlesenough - 3.42 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 26R
i finished all i secondaries on sunday, just waiting for interviews! also, got panicky and applied to two more schools, waiting for the secondaries.
congrats to all the underdogs who've been accepted! i hope to be in your shoes soon!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We're right around the same stats - 27Q, 3.4 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA. I just submitted most secondaries and (like you) added a few more to pull up my total D.O. schools to 10. Let me know if you start hearing anything back! I'm getting anxious already.
I'm getting super anxious! I keep waiting to get the secondaries back from the new schools and to (hopefully!!) get some interviews soon! I'll let you know! Let me know when you start hearing back as well!
I'm getting super anxious! I keep waiting to get the secondaries back from the new schools and to (hopefully!!) get some interviews soon! I'll let you know! Let me know when you start hearing back as well!
We're right around the same stats - 27Q, 3.4 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA. I just submitted most secondaries and (like you) added a few more to pull up my total D.O. schools to 10. Let me know if you start hearing anything back! I'm getting anxious already.
Where all did you guys apply to? My stats are also similar...3.3 sgpa, 3.52 cgpa, 25N mcat. I also applied to about 10 schools and so far the only news I've received is a rejection from both rocky vista and DMU
Last edited:
UD Acceptance #2: CUSOM on 10/25/12 😍.
Where all did you guys apply to? My stats are also similar...3.3 sgpa, 3.52 cgpa, 25N mcat. I also applied to about 10 schools and so far the only news I've received is a rejection from both rocky vista and DMU
i applied to CCOM, AZCOM, PCOM, NYCOM, and both LECOMs (recent apps). i got rejected from CUSOM. i also applied to a few MD schools to boost my application number: SLU, Mizzou, Creighton, Medical College of Wisconsin, and University of Illinois. you guys?
i applied to CCOM, AZCOM, PCOM, NYCOM, and both LECOMs (recent apps). i got rejected from CUSOM. i also applied to a few MD schools to boost my application number: SLU, Mizzou, Creighton, Medical College of Wisconsin, and University of Illinois. you guys?
I applied only to DO schools: OSUCOM, RVU-COM, CCOM, AZCOM, PCOM, Nova, both LECOMs, NYCOM, DMU, KCUMB
Rejections from DMU and Rocky Vista...I'm thinking about adding more schools but I haven't decided which ones yet. I have to say, getting straight-up rejections and no II's yet sucks.
lol dam
been more than 4 weeks, application still in process ...
been more than 4 weeks, application still in process ...
niice
what was your stats?
what was your stats?
Hey everyone,
So basically I know I'm an UD with my stats... Especially with my uber low MCAT.
However, I still applied to 20+ MD/DO schools since I can't imagine waiting another year ...
Welp , here's the run down:
Graduated from a UC with a 2.8cu/2.9sci
Postbac this year boosted it up to 3.2cu/3.2.sci
MCAT : 8/4verb/8
Yup... Applying with a 4 in Verbal fellow SDNers. -.-"
Volunteered over 1100+ hours in an underserved community at a local medical clinic(shadowed docs, took vitals, etc)
Research in Surgery where I shadowed the chief surgeon at UC Med(1200 hrs) . Led to 7 publications (4 papers/3abstracts) and numerous presentations.
Member of various clubs on campus (treasurer for a year)..
Oh, and I guess I'm considered URM
STRONG LOR's: chief surgeon, doctor from underserved clinic , sci professor (4 classes), and a committee letter from postbac
Sent my apps in late since I took the Sept 6 MCAT.
Sent 10/18 to DO's .
Sent 10/9 to MDs
------
So far I received secondaries from ..
DO's: NYCOM, PCOM , KYCOM, LMU , Nova, CCOM&AZCOM, at still , MSUCOM, Ed Via, and UMDNJ
MD: Howard , Meharry , Boston,USC, MSUCHM, SUNY, Hofstra and Rosalind Franklin.
I've gotten two flat out rejections so far from MD's : Utah and WVSOM.
--
So as you guys can see, I'm in for hell of a ride with my stats.. I don't know if the schools are prescreening, but I'm Happy to have some secondaries.. I'm just wondering if the schools just want my money. Blahhhh...
.. But I'm taking that risk anyways even though I'll be a broke jokeee. Im going to try to crank them all out in a couple days.
Keep you guys in the loop! 🙂
So basically I know I'm an UD with my stats... Especially with my uber low MCAT.
However, I still applied to 20+ MD/DO schools since I can't imagine waiting another year ...
Welp , here's the run down:
Graduated from a UC with a 2.8cu/2.9sci
Postbac this year boosted it up to 3.2cu/3.2.sci
MCAT : 8/4verb/8
Yup... Applying with a 4 in Verbal fellow SDNers. -.-"
Volunteered over 1100+ hours in an underserved community at a local medical clinic(shadowed docs, took vitals, etc)
Research in Surgery where I shadowed the chief surgeon at UC Med(1200 hrs) . Led to 7 publications (4 papers/3abstracts) and numerous presentations.
Member of various clubs on campus (treasurer for a year)..
Oh, and I guess I'm considered URM
STRONG LOR's: chief surgeon, doctor from underserved clinic , sci professor (4 classes), and a committee letter from postbac
Sent my apps in late since I took the Sept 6 MCAT.
Sent 10/18 to DO's .
Sent 10/9 to MDs
------
So far I received secondaries from ..
DO's: NYCOM, PCOM , KYCOM, LMU , Nova, CCOM&AZCOM, at still , MSUCOM, Ed Via, and UMDNJ
MD: Howard , Meharry , Boston,USC, MSUCHM, SUNY, Hofstra and Rosalind Franklin.
I've gotten two flat out rejections so far from MD's : Utah and WVSOM.
--
So as you guys can see, I'm in for hell of a ride with my stats.. I don't know if the schools are prescreening, but I'm Happy to have some secondaries.. I'm just wondering if the schools just want my money. Blahhhh...
.. But I'm taking that risk anyways even though I'll be a broke jokeee. Im going to try to crank them all out in a couple days.
Keep you guys in the loop! 🙂
Your chances of getting an interview invite with these stas are slim. I would not spend money in sending these secondaries if I were you...Retake the MCAT and aim for 26+. Most schools do not prescreen for secondaries. They just want your money. Keep me posted if you get some luck...I just withdrew my application...I am an URM as well and my stats are: 3.15cGPA, 3.35sGPA , MCAT = 20 (7PS, 4VR, 9BS).Hey everyone,
So basically I know I'm an UD with my stats... Especially with my uber low MCAT.
However, I still applied to 20+ MD/DO schools since I can't imagine waiting another year ...
Welp , here's the run down:
Graduated from a UC with a 2.8cu/2.9sci
Postbac this year boosted it up to 3.2cu/3.2.sci
MCAT : 8/4verb/8
Yup... Applying with a 4 in Verbal fellow SDNers. -.-"
Volunteered over 1100+ hours in an underserved community at a local medical clinic(shadowed docs, took vitals, etc)
Research in Surgery where I shadowed the chief surgeon at UC Med(1200 hrs) . Led to 7 publications (4 papers/3abstracts) and numerous presentations.
Member of various clubs on campus (treasurer for a year)..
Oh, and I guess I'm considered URM
STRONG LOR's: chief surgeon, doctor from underserved clinic , sci professor (4 classes), and a committee letter from postbac
Sent my apps in late since I took the Sept 6 MCAT.
Sent 10/18 to DO's .
Sent 10/9 to MDs
------
So far I received secondaries from ..
DO's: NYCOM, PCOM , KYCOM, LMU , Nova, CCOM&AZCOM, at still , MSUCOM, Ed Via, and UMDNJ
MD: Howard , Meharry , Boston,USC, MSUCHM, SUNY, Hofstra and Rosalind Franklin.
I've gotten two flat out rejections so far from MD's : Utah and WVSOM.
--
So as you guys can see, I'm in for hell of a ride with my stats.. I don't know if the schools are prescreening, but I'm Happy to have some secondaries.. I'm just wondering if the schools just want my money. Blahhhh...
.. But I'm taking that risk anyways even though I'll be a broke jokeee. Im going to try to crank them all out in a couple days.
Keep you guys in the loop! 🙂
Last edited:
.
Last edited:
4
411309
Hey everyone,
So basically I know I'm an UD with my stats... Especially with my uber low MCAT.
However, I still applied to 20+ MD/DO schools since I can't imagine waiting another year ...
Welp , here's the run down:
Graduated from a UC with a 2.8cu/2.9sci
Postbac this year boosted it up to 3.2cu/3.2.sci
MCAT : 8/4verb/8
Yup... Applying with a 4 in Verbal fellow SDNers. -.-"
Volunteered over 1100+ hours in an underserved community at a local medical clinic(shadowed docs, took vitals, etc)
Research in Surgery where I shadowed the chief surgeon at UC Med(1200 hrs) . Led to 7 publications (4 papers/3abstracts) and numerous presentations.
Member of various clubs on campus (treasurer for a year)..
Oh, and I guess I'm considered URM
STRONG LOR's: chief surgeon, doctor from underserved clinic , sci professor (4 classes), and a committee letter from postbac
Sent my apps in late since I took the Sept 6 MCAT.
Sent 10/18 to DO's .
Sent 10/9 to MDs
------
So far I received secondaries from ..
DO's: NYCOM, PCOM , KYCOM, LMU , Nova, CCOM&AZCOM, at still , MSUCOM, Ed Via, and UMDNJ
MD: Howard , Meharry , Boston,USC, MSUCHM, SUNY, Hofstra and Rosalind Franklin.
I've gotten two flat out rejections so far from MD's : Utah and WVSOM.
--
So as you guys can see, I'm in for hell of a ride with my stats.. I don't know if the schools are prescreening, but I'm Happy to have some secondaries.. I'm just wondering if the schools just want my money. Blahhhh...
.. But I'm taking that risk anyways even though I'll be a broke jokeee. Im going to try to crank them all out in a couple days.
Keep you guys in the loop! 🙂
i really think you should reconsider spending all that money on secondaries. With that mcat even if by some miracle you do get an interview you will get WL. I am not trying to be a douche but im trying to tell you this now before you spend 1-2k of money that could be used for a lot of things..you should use this year to better your app.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
4
411309
your ECs are really great, if you could increase your MCAT a little higher you would get into many DO schools.
i really think you should reconsider spending all that money on secondaries. With that mcat even if by some miracle you do get an interview you will get WL. I am not trying to be a douche but im trying to tell you this now before you spend 1-2k of money that could be used for a lot of things..you should use this year to better your app.
+1. Save your money. The first time I applied I had the same gpa with a slightly better MCAT and didn't hear a thing. Especially since it's so late, I really encourage you to retake it because when you do you will have so many more opportunities.
+1. Save your money. The first time I applied I had the same gpa with a slightly better MCAT and didn't hear a thing. Especially since it's so late, I really encourage you to retake it because when you do you will have so many more opportunities.
BUT if you are 100% convinced that you want to try and finish the apps this year, I would add more schools. The 3 new DO's, and many others. Seems like you are shooting for top DO schools with a 20.
4
411309
BUT if you are 100% convinced that you want to try and finish the apps this year, I would add more schools. The 3 new DO's, and many others. Seems like you are shooting for top DO schools with a 20.
more schools=more money wasted, no offense but I dont want to get someones hopes up with that if they throw more darts at the dartboard blindfolded, that they may get lucky and hit a bullseye. if you have a lot of money, go for it if not then please wait and retake the mcat. maybe just maybe youd have a chance if it was 7 7 7 (even then still kinda low) but a 4 on VR its just not worth it man.
To me, the issue isn't even that the stats are low it's that you are too impatient to take the time and invest your energy into improving your app and your prepping for the hardest 4+ years of academia.You said yourself you "cant imagine waiting another year". Well, one year is nothing in the grand picture and not retaking an MCAT with any section that hits a 4 is a problem because you know you are capable of better than that or you wouldn't be applying for med school. It sucks but patience and ambition goes a long ways and if I were you, I would bite the bullet and reapply when I get a more representative sample of my abilities. Just my two cents, good luck 🙂
Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated. I realize my MCAT is unbalanced and is a terrible score to attempt to gain entry into any medical school. I also know most of the schools do NOT prescreen.. However, I am still going for it despite everyone's suggestions. I hope no one takes offense, but I guess I just want defy the odds.. Anyways, the Fee waivers have been helping a bit.
Also, I got a confirmation email from Meharry that I passed the "initial screening".. As well as some other DO school (i'll get back to you guys once I sift through emails).
I'm not getting my hopes up for this year, but I'm just going to play it by ear..
Like I said, true underdog or über UD. Haha 😛
Sent 2nds to NYCOM and Nova. Howard tomorrow via snail mail >.<'.
Again, thanks for all feedback guys. I know more than likely I'm going to get all rejections, but all it takes is one.. And if I don't get in? Then that's when I follow everyone's advice. 🙂
Also, I got a confirmation email from Meharry that I passed the "initial screening".. As well as some other DO school (i'll get back to you guys once I sift through emails).
I'm not getting my hopes up for this year, but I'm just going to play it by ear..
Like I said, true underdog or über UD. Haha 😛
Sent 2nds to NYCOM and Nova. Howard tomorrow via snail mail >.<'.
Again, thanks for all feedback guys. I know more than likely I'm going to get all rejections, but all it takes is one.. And if I don't get in? Then that's when I follow everyone's advice. 🙂
Good luck...Keep me posted since we both have the same stats and I withdrew my application last week...Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated. I realize my MCAT is unbalanced and is a terrible score to attempt to gain entry into any medical school. I also know most of the schools do NOT prescreen.. However, I am still going for it despite everyone's suggestions. I hope no one takes offense, but I guess I just want defy the odds.. Anyways, the Fee waivers have been helping a bit.
Also, I got a confirmation email from Meharry that I passed the "initial screening".. As well as some other DO school (i'll get back to you guys once I sift through emails).
I'm not getting my hopes up for this year, but I'm just going to play it by ear..
Like I said, true underdog or über UD. Haha 😛
Sent 2nds to NYCOM and Nova. Howard tomorrow via snail mail >.<'.
Again, thanks for all feedback guys. I know more than likely I'm going to get all rejections, but all it takes is one.. And if I don't get in? Then that's when I follow everyone's advice. 🙂
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated. I realize my MCAT is unbalanced and is a terrible score to attempt to gain entry into any medical school. I also know most of the schools do NOT prescreen.. However, I am still going for it despite everyone's suggestions. I hope no one takes offense, but I guess I just want defy the odds.. Anyways, the Fee waivers have been helping a bit.
Also, I got a confirmation email from Meharry that I passed the "initial screening".. As well as some other DO school (i'll get back to you guys once I sift through emails).
I'm not getting my hopes up for this year, but I'm just going to play it by ear..
Like I said, true underdog or über UD. Haha 😛
Sent 2nds to NYCOM and Nova. Howard tomorrow via snail mail >.<'.
Again, thanks for all feedback guys. I know more than likely I'm going to get all rejections, but all it takes is one.. And if I don't get in? Then that's when I follow everyone's advice. 🙂
Just keep in mind that if you end up reapplying next cycle, many of these schools will ask how your application improved.
Good luck...Keep me posted since we both have the same stats and I withdrew my application last week...
Will do, Temp! Curious, how are your EC's? Sorry, if you posted them already.
Just keep in mind that if you end up reapplying next cycle, many of these schools will ask how your application improved.
So then that's when I show them my new MCAT .. One that represents my practice scores.. 28-33. Choked bigg time. But what's done is done..
My next question though, do med schools frown upon reapplicants?
Will do, Temp! Curious, how are your EC's? Sorry, if you posted them already.
So then that's when I show them my new MCAT .. One that represents my practice scores.. 28-33. Choked bigg time. But what's done is done..
My next question though, do med schools frown upon reapplicants?
Not much ECs but I have been a nurse for 8+ years...50 hours shadowing and 150 hours volunteering...No research.
I applied to some reach and some new schools to even it out:i applied to CCOM, AZCOM, PCOM, NYCOM, and both LECOMs (recent apps). i got rejected from CUSOM. i also applied to a few MD schools to boost my application number: SLU, Mizzou, Creighton, Medical College of Wisconsin, and University of Illinois. you guys?
D.O. schools: Touro-NY, Touro-CA, Campbell, WCU, LECOM-Bradenton, NOVA, LMU, Edward Via- CC, PCOM-GA, ATSU-SOMA
M.D. schools: MUSC, USC, USC-Greenville
Also something I've heard (from a D.O. himself) - Verbal scores are indicative of how well you may do on boards. Not definitive, but they may see 4 VR and look at it more heavily than a 4 in another section.more schools=more money wasted, no offense but I dont want to get someones hopes up with that if they throw more darts at the dartboard blindfolded, that they may get lucky and hit a bullseye. if you have a lot of money, go for it if not then please wait and retake the mcat. maybe just maybe youd have a chance if it was 7 7 7 (even then still kinda low) but a 4 on VR its just not worth it man.
Also something I've heard (from a D.O. himself) - Verbal scores are indicative of how well you may do on boards. Not definitive, but they may see 4 VR and look at it more heavily than a 4 in another section.
Funny thing is I've heard this too (though it was a from a Kaplan guy and he said the correlation was below 1%) yet in interviews they've never brought up verbal, one even
said they are only concerned with sciences. probably varies by school but just thought I'd throw that info out there
Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated. I realize my MCAT is unbalanced and is a terrible score to attempt to gain entry into any medical school. I also know most of the schools do NOT prescreen.. However, I am still going for it despite everyone's suggestions. I hope no one takes offense, but I guess I just want defy the odds.. Anyways, the Fee waivers have been helping a bit.
Also, I got a confirmation email from Meharry that I passed the "initial screening".. As well as some other DO school (i'll get back to you guys once I sift through emails).
I'm not getting my hopes up for this year, but I'm just going to play it by ear..
Like I said, true underdog or über UD. Haha 😛
Sent 2nds to NYCOM and Nova. Howard tomorrow via snail mail >.<'.
Again, thanks for all feedback guys. I know more than likely I'm going to get all rejections, but all it takes is one.. And if I don't get in? Then that's when I follow everyone's advice. 🙂
Just my 2 cents: Act like you won't be getting in this year. Retake your MCAT early this spring. If somehow you interview somewhere and are waitlisted, an increased MCAT score can help. Don't wait until next June or July to retake and possibly even mess up again (that happened to me) which will also screw up next cycle. I don't remember if you said when you planned on retaking, but sooner rather than later!
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Good for you!GA PCOM acceptance!!! People with 23 MCATS can make it!!!!!
GA PCOM acceptance!!! People with 23 MCATS can make it!!!!!
Congrats!
Not much ECs but I have been a nurse for 8+ years...50 hours shadowing and 150 hours volunteering...No research.
Oh, I see . Well you've got massive amounts of experience in nursing. I will definitely keep you in the loop since our stats our near identical with exception to EC's.
Just my 2 cents: Act like you won't be getting in this year. Retake your MCAT early this spring. If somehow you interview somewhere and are waitlisted, an increased MCAT score can help. Don't wait until next June or July to retake and possibly even mess up again (that happened to me) which will also screw up next cycle. I don't remember if you said when you planned on retaking, but sooner rather than later!
Yup! I know. Actually, I just got put on hold for LECOM and they suggest I take the January MCAT. I'm still debating...
GA PCOM acceptance!!! People with 23 MCATS can make it!!!!!
Go Poliscidoc! Congrats!
Accepted at MUCOM!!!
Congrats!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 15
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K