The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Non-trad here.

cGPA=3.08 (If you only look at my post-bacc, my cGPA is 3.42)
sGPA=3.35
MCAT=30q

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 100% sure I belong in this thread, but I don't know where to find my AACOMAS calculated GPA's. I've already submitted and it says my status is "verified".

Also, I earned a degree in 2010 and I will be getting another next spring. My question is, are all the grades put together in one lump, or are they considered separately?

Thanks

OH resident here
cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.35
26Q MCAT (retake in August)
retaking two classes in the fall which should bump those numbers up a bit :)

let the fun begin!

Members don't see this ad :)
OH resident here

let the fun begin!

lol man you are def not an underdog o_O

OH resident here

let the fun begin!

Unless you're planning to apply to MD, I wouldn't retake (assuming that you don't have any score < 7).

Debated about weighing in with my stats for a long time, but have decided to go ahead and do so in hopes of encouraging the generations coming after me. I've got tens of thousands of hours in clinical experience including a recent 2.5 year deployment to Iraq as a Remote Duty Medic with a government contractor and still an active Vol. Paramedic.

MCAT is being taken in August for reasons already aforementioned and being a non-trad student. Definitely applying broadly and looking forward to hopefully seeing some of you on the interview circuit.

cGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.1
MCAT: TBD

Debated about weighing in with my stats for a long time, but have decided to go ahead and do so in hopes of encouraging the generations coming after me. I've got tens of thousands of hours in clinical experience including a recent 2.5 year deployment to Iraq as a Remote Duty Medic with a government contractor and still an active Vol. Paramedic.

MCAT is being taken in August for reasons already aforementioned and being a non-trad student. Definitely applying broadly and looking forward to hopefully seeing some of you on the interview circuit.

cGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.1
MCAT: TBD

Good luck to you!

"Please consider your statistics before posting in the thread. Each person has their own definition of what an Underdog is or should be. However, posting that you think you are an Underdog with a 32+ MCAT and a 3.5+ GPA doesn't exactly qualify you as one, and doesn't help anyone who is going to really struggle to get in.

MedPR: 3.20, 3.22, 28
Colesmalls: 3.26 3.33 TBD
mfas: 2.95, 3.48, 25
NurWollen: 3.46, 3.19, 29
DocFelt: 3.25 3.25 TBD (June 21st)
underdog12: 3.15, 2.95, 34
Temperature101: 3.15 , 3.28 TBD
Ibn Alnafis MD: 3.33, 3.35 TBD
wildcard0187: 3.24, 3.04 TBD
physcigirl27: 3.1, 2.66 28
LPpostbacc 3.14/3.76/TBD
Alexandriagrece: 3.46,3.32, 23T
Camshark: 3.22, 3.4 TBD
junkfoosow: 2.4, 2.7, 35
as1212559: 3.3, 3.0 29
Technay: 3.1, 3.1 20S
chicago5950: 3.5, 3.28, TBD (21 on first practice test)
jccalalafc: 3.41, 3.04, 29
Sasha3: 3.45, 3.65, 22
Gsun88: 3.002, 2.94 24
GHETTOFLOW21: 2.95 2.88 31
pewpewmeister: 3.25, 3.21 24
Kvothe: 3.07, 3.50 TBD
felix2929: 3.1, 2.85, 28
mdny: 3.48, 3.27 27(11PS, 5VR, 11BS)
ShabNasty: 3.15 3.09 28
aburnet2: 3.30,3.40 26 (9ps, 6VR, 11bs)

pjd9779: 3.58, 3.63 24R
nirvikalpa: 3.40 3.20 TBD
drshark: 3.36, 3.40 TBD
VBGLL: 3.60, 3.50, 20O
umee1989 3.05, 2.80 TBD
brakk026: 3.15, 2.88 TBD
deeoh2be - 3.23, 3.43, 25Q
ddd15: 3.3, 3.4 TBD
shataiki': 2.9, 28O
heybigA:3.36, 3.22 23S
Balfour Faraday: 3.25, 3.16, 28
hkm: 3.14 2.9 26Q
Syialb: 3.12, 3.11, 28
psychkub : 3.08, 3.35 30

These (and possibly a few more) are not really underdogs. Their numbers are lower but acceptable, even with 5's or 6's in verbal. They should land plenty of interviews, especially if they live in an area with regionally biased schools.

Also, I think it would be a good idea to have each underdog make an mdapps profile and post the their mdapps ID on the first post next to each username; then people will be able to get a better idea of how their apps went. But I doubt most people will feel like creating one...

Last edited:
These (and possibly a few more) are not really underdogs. Their numbers are lower but acceptable, even with 5's or 6's in verbal. They should land plenty of interviews, especially if they live in an area with regionally biased schools.

Also, I think it would be a good idea to have each underdog make an mdapps profile and post the their mdapps ID on the first post next to each username; then people will be able to get a better idea of how their apps went. But I doubt most people will feel like creating one...
Any GPA < 3.0 makes you an automatic underdog, especially if a 5 in verbal accompanies it. pjd is definitely not an underdog though.

Any GPA < 3.0 makes you an automatic underdog, especially if a 5 in verbal accompanies it. pjd is definitely not an underdog though.

I think that of that bolded list only GhettoFlow and Ndny are true underdogs.

i think its ok to include people with a wide range of statistics as long as they don't have >3.5 and >30 MCAT. Look at the previous year's underdog thread. It includes statistics that are considered average. Don't forget its not just a numbers game. A variety of factors -weak ECs, LORs, financial burden- can make one an underdog.

i think its ok to include people with a wide range of statistics as long as they don't have >3.5 and >30 MCAT. Look at the previous year's underdog thread. It includes statistics that are considered average. Don't forget its not just a numbers game. A variety of factors -weak ECs, LORs, financial burden- can make one an underdog.
I agree with what you're saying, and it makes me think it would be prudent to add why someone might be an underdog if numbers are not their reason. Either way, it's really up to yellowperil how he wants to run the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, go ahead and remove me from that list.

not sure how my mcat is going to come out, if its not what i hoped for i may retake in august, make my ecs even stronger for next cycle and worry about that. Im going for at least a 27 to apply with. For anyone interested, if i get that 27 I will make a mdapps and keep it updated as well as listing my ecs and everything else, so people in my shoes can benefit in the future.

I agree with what you're saying, and it makes me think it would be prudent to add why someone might be an underdog if numbers are not their reason. Either way, it's really up to yellowperil how he wants to run the list.

I believe this list is a community list. I understand, and appreciate yellowperil's effort to maintain the list, but it's a public forum. Readers of the forum can decide which applicants on the list they most identify with; there isn't only one, severe UD. There's a range of us. Anyone intelligent enough to be applying to medical school should be able to identify a 3.5/3.4/30 as not being an UD. Ignore it.

The directions on the "Low GPA Success Stories" in the Allo forum instruct each user to quote, edit for their own info, and repost the list each time. We can do the same if any individual decides to be a thread-dictator.

Good luck everyone.

I believe this list is a community list. I understand, and appreciate yellowperil's effort to maintain the list, but it's a public forum. Readers of the forum can decide which applicants on the list they most identify with; there isn't only one, severe UD. There's a range of us. Anyone intelligent enough to be applying to medical school should be able to identify a 3.5/3.4/30 as not being an UD. Ignore it.

The directions on the "Low GPA Success Stories" in the Allo forum instruct each user to quote, edit for their own info, and repost the list each time. We can do the same if any individual decides to be a thread-dictator.

Good luck everyone.

:thumbup:

MCAT 25P (10 PS, 7 VR, 8 BS)
sGPA 3.4
cGPA 3.51
Underdog Chance me!

Good luck everyone.

The reason I suggest writting down why someone is an underdog outside of numbers has nothing to do with being thread dictator. It is because it will help people in that situation to identify with them.

The reason I suggest writting down why someone is an underdog outside of numbers has nothing to do with being thread dictator. It is because it will help people in that situation to identify with them.

Let's just keep it to the numbers; as in past years. Any reader can PM an individual that they feel they may want to discuss things with further. The thread will get ridiculously long and out of control otherwise. This didn't really seem to be a problem before.

I wasn't implying any one person was being too controlling, but when there's talk of "John Doe" deciding who is and who isn't an UD, that seemed excessive for a public forum. Plus, I was referring to the suggestion of removing names from the list.

Good luck everyone.

I completely agree. This is exactly how it has been done for the previous years underdog threads as well. There is no need for anyone to be taking the role of telling those who post that they don't belong in this list.

I hope YellowPeril agrees with this as well.

Let's just keep it to the numbers; as in past years. Any reader can PM an individual that they feel they may want to discuss things with further. The thread will get ridiculously long and out of control otherwise. This didn't really seem to be a problem before.
I don't think it needs to clutter up. Something simple like [No Shadowing] or [No Research] can be easily added. It could be made even more simply if a legend is made and then a tag is added such as (for lacking shadowing) or [R] (for lacking research). A PM could work, but people come and go, so it's easier to simply track things without added extra hassle to the underdog himself/herself. Either way, this is all up to yellowperil.

Count me in as an underdog

Science GPA-3.22
Non Science- 3.70
MBA GPA- 4.00

I am still waiting on my MCAT score to get back but I felt horrible about it and I have already scheduled another test date. I really didn't study like I should for it so its my own DA fault. I start the Post Bac program at LMU in July so hopefully that helps but we will see.

I somewhat disagree with having no monitoring. People with average stats may feel like underdogs, but they're not. The point of this thread is to showcase underdog applicants (well below average), not indulge in premed application neurosis.

It is encouraging to see people succeed against the odds. It isn't encouraging to see average or even above average applicants post their fear of not getting in. It would be nice if the people posting waited until they had their scores (cgpa, sgpa, mcat) and followed the rough guidelines so we can track the true underdogs.

Maybe another thread can be made for the average applicants - "The official 2012 Vanilla Applicant thread" or something to appease the rest.

I don't think it needs to clutter up. Something simple like [No Shadowing] or [No Research] can be easily added. It could be made even more simply if a legend is made and then a tag is added such as (for lacking shadowing) or [R] (for lacking research). A PM could work, but people come and go, so it's easier to simply track things without added extra hassle to the underdog himself/herself. Either way, this is all up to yellowperil.

Then you get into posters adding hours, types of activities, etc. This thread seemed to run fairly smoothly before.

How about this....
Why don't we add a fourth stat, that score some use, forget the name at the moment. (cGPA*10+ sGPA*10+MCAT). That might add a little extra clarification. Thoughts? You can add a line at the top, "avg matriculant had a 90, XX% below that is UD area (20-40%)."

It adds a slightly more total picture of the applicant.

Then you get into posters adding hours, types of activities, etc. This thread seemed to run fairly smoothly before.

How about this....
Why don't we add a fourth stat, that score some use, forget the name at the moment. (cGPA*10+ sGPA*10+MCAT). That might add a little extra clarification. Thoughts? You can add a line at the top, "avg matriculant had a 90, XX% below that is UD area (20-40%)."

It's called a LizzyM score, classically it is done with just Cgpa and mcat. Generally for a DO applicant a combined lizzyM score of 62 ( for just Mcat + Cgpa) or 93 ( with sgpa included). The LizzyM is a great tool for determining one's competitiveness, however it conditionally requires that all scores be within 2 SDs of the mean or else the score is a red flag and will invalidate the score's worth.

You all really need to stop overthinking this. Gpas, mcat, LizzyM score. If you have any redeeming things like great ecs, upward trends, urm then put those too if you wish. That's how it's worked in the past.

You all really need to stop overthinking this. Gpas, mcat, LizzyM score. If you have any redeeming things like great ecs, upward trends, urm then put those too if you wish. That's how it's worked in the past.

I think the LizzyM is a very nice and simple system. It's a lot harder to look at scores like 3.1/33 and 3.9/24 and deduce the competitiveness of that score. However use the LizzyM and boom that becomes a 64 and a 63, which are both decent enough to get into a DO school.

It's called a LizzyM score, classically it is done with just Cgpa and mcat. Generally for a DO applicant a combined lizzyM score of 62 ( for just Mcat + Cgpa) or 93 ( with sgpa included). The LizzyM is a great tool for determining one's competitiveness, however it conditionally requires that all scores be within 2 SDs of the mean or else the score is a red flag and will invalidate the score's worth.

so 93 is the magic number if you include science? so with a 3.26c 3.36s and say i got a 26 mcat id have a 92.2 so it seems like id have a decent shot no?

Glad I found this, makes me feel better
cGPA - 3.12
sGPA - 2.52 :(
MCAT - 23 on AAMC FL 3 - hoping to get this to around a 30
Luckily, I have my state school which guarantees an interview if you have a 23 and a 3.1 gpa. I hope they are willing to look at my diverse experience (paramedic school while school f/t, work in a small town hospital as a paramedic), interest in rural medicine (they love rural medicine), and enthusiasm more than just the numbers.
From what I understand, Id be an automatic reject at Des Moines SOM because they require a 3.0 sGPA, anyone know for sure?

From what I understand, Id be an automatic reject at Des Moines SOM because they require a 3.0 sGPA, anyone know for sure?

I think you'd be screened out from far more schools than DMU for having an sGPA <2.75. A lot like to see the 3.0 mark.

Luckily for you, sGPA is a relatively easy (and quick) fix. Just a few retakes can make a huge difference.

Either way, good luck. :thumbup:

so 93 is the magic number if you include science? so with a 3.26c 3.36s and say i got a 26 mcat id have a 92.2 so it seems like id have a decent shot no?

a 93 makes you the average applicant. A 95+ Makes you competitive for mid tier, a 98+ makes you competitive for the Top tier schools.

Last edited:
cGPA - 3.12
Luckily, I have my state school which guarantees an interview if you have a 23 and a 3.1 gpa. I hope they are willing to look at my diverse experience (paramedic school while school f/t, work in a small town hospital as a paramedic), interest in rural medicine (they love rural medicine), and enthusiasm more than just the numbers.

I don't know if it is wise to apply with a 2.52 in sGPA since most school require you to have 2.75+ sGPA to be consider. I would retake the class you did bad on.

cGPA - 3.12

All medical schools in the country require a 2.75 Sgpa/ BCPM. Since you're from a stat that accepts a majority of its instate applicants I highly recommend you simply take a year off and try your harderest to become competitive for MD school, so.. yah don't feel rushed to take the mcat unless your FL's are showing scores like 27+ and then you need to boost your science gpa. However if you've got over 80 credits in science and math then it may be just better to retake classes. But either way, you're not applying this year as you will simply not get any looks with a below cutoff score.

Last edited:

How about this....

I'm not convinced by your slippery slope argument. Something good can always be made better.

Why do I see some people calculating their LizzyM as cGPA+MCAT+1? What's the +1 for?

My AACOMAS stats are:

cGPA: 3.18
sGPA: 3.22
MCAT: 33

So 64.8 or 97.

Are you an UD? Are you on the list?
No, I don't think I am. My cGPA is low but within the standard deviation for people of my ethnicity. My sGPA is well above the average for all ethnicity. All my EC are strong, except for my shadowing that's just slightly below average. No MCAT yet. I'm scoring about ~10 per section.

EDiT: I see you on the list. My numbers are very similar to yours, but I don't think that's UD.

Last edited:
No, I don't think I am. My cGPA is low but within the standard deviation for people of my ethnicity. My sGPA is well above the average for all ethnicity. All my EC are strong, except for my shadowing that's just slightly below average. No MCAT yet. I'm scoring about ~10 per section.

Doesn't sound like you're going to be an UD either, my friend!

EDiT: I see you on the list. My numbers are very similar to yours, but I don't think that's UD.
Are you an AA? What are your stats?

I agree.. With a >3.0 cGPA and a 3.7 sGPA you won't be an underdog unless your MCAT is like a 20.

Why do I see some people calculating their LizzyM as cGPA+MCAT+1? What's the +1 for?

My AACOMAS stats are:

cGPA: 3.18
sGPA: 3.22
MCAT: 33

So 64.8 or 97.

+1 means that you applied early, i.e for MD in June, or for DO June to maybe mid July? It goes to show, an early app is probably as good as an extra point on the mcat.

Last edited:
+1 means that you applied early, i.e for MD in June, or for DO June to maybe mid July? It goes to show, an early app is probably as good as an extra point on the mcat.

Ah ok thanks. +1 for me then :thumbup:

hopefully the several not so educated guesses i made on the mcat pay off lol

Hispanic, c3.14/s3.61. If I go through the retake I want to do, I can pull to 3.7 sGPA getting a B, but I don't know if I have the time considering I'm doing a summer research fellowship and the MCAT.

Are you applying MD as well?

All medical schools in the country require a 2.75 Sgpa/ BCPM. Since you're from a stat that accepts a majority of its instate applicants I highly recommend you simply take a year off and try your harderest to become competitive for MD school, so.. yah don't feel rushed to take the mcat unless your FL's are showing scores like 27+ and then you need to boost your science gpa. However if you've got over 80 credits in science and math then it may be just better to retake classes. But either way, you're not applying this year as you will simply not get any looks with a below cutoff score.

Thats what I was afraid of, I think I will keep preparing for the MCAT and see where it goes, if Im doing good on the FLs at the end of the summer, Ill take it, if Im not, its a great way to solidify my science background for retakes.
I was going to apply this year to the one instate school in hopes of getting a guaranteed look(3.1 GPA and 23 MCAT and you are guaranteed an interview), but maybe Id just be better off waiting.
Edit: I am also working on a public health research proposal in rural medicine which would be an application +, if I get it funded, I will be submitting a manuscript to the journal of the state's medical association

Last edited: