The Ghost Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheFutureFatMan

Faking it till I'm making it
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had the privilege to interview at one of the best osteopathic programs in the country this cycle, and last. (for obvious reasons I won’t name the school) The outcome of this process has left me with a lot of considerations regarding the process of applying to medical school.

Last cycle I was in the middle of a Masters degree (the Post-Bacc “prove you can handle a med school course load curriculum) and many of my grades had not been posted yet, particularly the important courses like Gross Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmacology, or Host Defense. My MCAT was mediocre, ~80th percentile. Not terrible, but also not anything I’d be bragging to my friends about. My essays were strong. I have family members that attended this program, and one of my interviewers was a professor that taught said family member. I was very excited about the prospect of being admitted to medical school and when I got wait-listed I began to get a glimmer of hope. I thought that, “Hey…maybe I DO have what it takes to be a physician.”

I received no word on my admissions status from this program. The first week of school came, it went, and I settled with the knowledge that I had not been moved from the wait list, and wasn’t given the dignity of a letter, or even an email.

This cycle my stats were far stronger. I had finished my Masters degree with a (3.9, honors in Gross Anatomy and Physiology). I had stronger recommendation letters, a higher MCAT. I had improved every aspect of my application that I could get my hands on. I was, again, invited to interview at this program, and was excited to see what my impressions were given that I already had multiple acceptances in the bag for this cycle. I wanted to see if my opinion the previous cycle had been tainted by the fact that it was my only choice.

I was less impressed with the campus this time around, less impressed with the faculty. The interview, however, was incredible. I’m a non-traditional student and have had plenty of interviews in the corporate world. I either 1) phenomenally misread the situation, or 2) I was spot-on. For argument’s sake, let’s say I was right. One of the many comments made during the interview was, “I can’t say too much in this setting, but I will say…I hope you don’t mind the cold.” (I live somewhere warm, this school is in chillier atmosphere)

I called the school the day before my birthday (Don’t ever do that) and inquired about my application status. Enough time had passed and I felt like I should have heard something. I was…rejected.

Sure I was disheartened, it would have been great to go to the school, but I can solidly say that I am happier where I will be going in the fall. What I’m not happy about is the way my situation was handled, and I believe it reflects a flaw that is present throughout this process.

I should never have been told those kinds of comments in my interview. I believe this reflects a lack of proper training, rather than any kind of malice. I also have some difficulty processing why I was rejected. I realize that fundamentally the role of admissions committees, the actual job, is not to accept people to medical school. Rather, their job is to deny applications, after all they spend far more time doing this. They are tasked with ensuring that quality candidates matriculate, and that those quality candidates have the academic fortitude to survive. I wouldn’t want that job. However, I think it’s important that the committee and admissions departments strongly consider how they interact with those that they reject.

I was brought out for a late interview. In my mind, an interview in the middle of April should be for a candidate that you at the very least intend to wait list. It’s expensive to book a last minute flight. It’s time consuming. It’s stressful. It’s misleading. Particularly given that I was wait listed the year before. If my interview is what sunk me, that would make sense, but I have a hard time believing that’s the case here. I have yet to receive any paper correspondence from this program. I haven’t gotten a phone call. My online portal hasn’t changed. I’ve simply been left hanging. I look around SDN and I see multiple reports of these “silent rejections,” it’s the Medical School Admissions version of “ghosting” out of a relationship. These admissions departments are tasked with the choice of choosing compassionate physicians, and to the students that receive acceptances they are amicable, friendly, and go above and beyond to assist. However, what they do, or don’t do, for the students they reject…I think that says a lot more about them. This is a rant. It’s semi-unorganized and very long-winded.

I just think that it’s important as we all progress on this crazy journey to becoming physicians that we need to remember what it’s like to sit in that chair on an interview. We need to remember what it’s like to apply. Some of us may wind up playing a roll in admissions one day, and the status quo NEEDS to change.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
And if (or once) you are in their seat, you will understand where they're coming from. You will most likely come to the realization that if you were an individual on the admissions committee, being trained and going through thousands of apps every year, you would be doing exactly what they do.

My opinion: toughen up. The only reason you're ranting is because you're hung up on this 1 school. If you applied 2 cycles with excellent stats and all, and didn't get accepted into A SINGLE program, ok different story.

A wise admissions dean at my local MD school put it best-- apply broadly because you have to protect yourself. Almost every established program has to deny excellent candidates for various reasons. Your job as an applicant is to apply broadly, no matter how good your stats are, to ensure at least 1 acceptance somewhere.

Don't hate the school, hate the game. :p

Oh, and congrats on getting into med school!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually see it oppositely and I think most people do to. If you're getting a late interview you, then it's not to put you at least on the waitlist but rather you applied late and that's just when they came across your application or there is something in the app that decreased your competitiveness to force a late interview.

Most of the time on late interview dates we hear, "you're interviewing for a waitlist spot." Not you're getting at least that, or what would be the reason to apply early.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Now you get to forge your own path at a different med school than said family member. Hehe. Congrats! Have fun this fall in hell known as gross anatomy lab.

Last edited:
I actually see it oppositely and I think most people do to. If you're getting a late interview you, then it's not to put you at least on the waitlist but rather you applied late and that's just when they came across your application or there is something in the app that decreased your competitiveness to force a late interview.

Most of the time on late interview dates we hear, "you're interviewing for a waitlist spot." Not you're getting at least that, or what would be the reason to apply early.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Now you get to forge your own path at a different med school then said family member. Hehe. Congrats! Have fun this fall in hell know as gross anatomy lab.
Lol thanks. Can't wait to be picking fat for hours again. (not).

Lots of schools do this. But applying when you weren't ready was not a good idea.

I received no word on my admissions status from this program. The first week of school came, it went, and I settled with the knowledge that I had not been moved from the wait list, and wasn’t given the dignity of a letter, or even an email.

Most people are terrible judges of their own interview performance. Interviewers are trained to be polite and one person's comments doesn't reflect the interview panel nor the Adcom, nor the Admissions Dean or the Dean of the school.
I was less impressed with the campus this time around, less impressed with the faculty. The interview, however, was incredible. I’m a non-traditional student and have had plenty of interviews in the corporate world. I either 1) phenomenally misread the situation, or 2) I was spot-on. For argument’s sake, let’s say I was right. One of the many comments made during the interview was, “I can’t say too much in this setting, but I will say…I hope you don’t mind the cold.” (I live somewhere warm, this school is in chillier atmosphere)

I suspect that your interview skills are lacking, or you have some red flag in your packet, like a bad LOR.
I called the school the day before my birthday (Don’t ever do that) and inquired about my application status. Enough time had passed and I felt like I should have heard something. I was…rejected.

Sure I was disheartened, it would have been great to go to the school, but I can solidly say that I am happier where I will be going in the fall. What I’m not happy about is the way my situation was handled, and I believe it reflects a flaw that is present throughout this process.

In the end, it's not about you, but the patients. If you got an II, it's because the screeners thought hat on paper, you were competitive.
I should never have been told those kinds of comments in my interview. I believe this reflects a lack of proper training, rather than any kind of malice. I also have some difficulty processing why I was rejected. I realize that fundamentally the role of admissions committees, the actual job, is not to accept people to medical school. Rather, their job is to deny applications, after all they spend far more time doing this. They are tasked with ensuring that quality candidates matriculate, and that those quality candidates have the academic fortitude to survive. I wouldn’t want that job. However, I think it’s important that the committee and admissions departments strongly consider how they interact with those that they reject.

The need for instant gratification is not a virtue. You might very well have gotten a courtesy interview from your family member being a student at the school. This is what's known as a legacy. They get polite interviews, followed by polite wait listing, followed by polite rejections.

I was brought out for a late interview. In my mind, an interview in the middle of April should be for a candidate that you at the very least intend to wait list. It’s expensive to book a last minute flight. It’s time consuming. It’s stressful. It’s misleading.

Why is this so hard to believe? This time around you had competitive stats. You may have done any number of things on interview day that sank you.
Particularly given that I was wait listed the year before. If my interview is what sunk me, that would make sense, but I have a hard time believing that’s the case here.

Thanks for your input Goro, per usual you always provide another perspective. I've enjoyed reading your posts over the last year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile