The Most Ridiculously Expensive Dental Schools Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
@CallMeDoct way to give someone else credit for the calculations I did for him ;)

I'm confused also - I was referring to @Panis et Circenses when I messaged him a week or two ago asking for COA help. Not to say @umbtoothfairy didn't help me at some point, I just don't remember it.
As for UIC's salary, I'm not 100% confident I calculated it correctly so I don't want to show the numbers I used, but it was around 260k w/o living

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I did calculations for Incis0r regarding Maryland. Carry on

Edit: so tired

Reactions: 1 user
@Panis et Circenses , you da real MVP man. Creating useful threads like this, helping out your fellow colleagues with numbers....thank you so much for being so awesome. You too @CallMeDoct . I saw your recent compilation thread on DAT minimums....such a good idea. Thank you to both of you for giving back.
Thanks man :) I'm thinking about making a excell sheet and loading formulas into it and labelling it so its easy to use.. Then you could put it the amount that YOU could live on per month, fees, etc, so that it would be easy to make your own estimates. Would anyone find that helpful?

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks man :) I'm thinking about making a excell sheet and loading formulas into it and labelling it so its easy to use.. Then you could put it the amount that YOU could live on per month, fees, etc, so that it would be easy to make your own estimates. Would anyone find that helpful?

Oh my gosh this sounds revolutionary :thumbup:

NYU $544,614.28??? Less painful way would be to walk in front of a bus
Yeah honestly. When all is said and done that loan will probably grow to 700k+ from the added interest because it will take so long to pay off.

I love it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if I'm uninformed, but a 6% interest rate sounds generous. I've seen numbers in the 7's. Hopefully this is a viable option for many of us
Yeah. Stafford loans are subsidized, at 5.31%, but there is a cap at 40,500 I believe. After that, you have to take out grad plus loans at 6.31%. With the more expensive schools, a majority of the loans will come from grad plus (and thus closer to 6.31%) that's why I've been estimating at 6%.

However, this information will be obsolete in about a year or so because congress will renegotiate the rate at which the loans are to be paid back. It can go up for sure, but it theoretically could go down too. Schools can also decide to hike up tuition costs from year to year. We're so powerless during the whole process.

Alright guys, here's the spreadsheet. I think it's pretty intuitive. Let me know if something doesn't make sense or work right. I tested it myself, so I think it should work. I uploaded it to the original post, and I'll upload it here too.

Attachments

• Dental School Cost Estimator.xlsx
    23.6 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: 7 users
@Winged Scapula
Hey, could we get the name of this thread changed to "Dental Schools Total Cost of Attendance 2017"? I was being a little hyperbolic when I created the thread.

Reactions: 2 users
Woohoo!

I'm just joking with you bro- your thread is so amazingly helpful....you've put in so much work, you've shown so much initiative....this thread needs to be stickied, and in order for that to happen, I think your thought for a name change is a smart one.
Haha alright, check my last comment, I fixed it.

Yeah. Stafford loans are subsidized, at 5.31%, but there is a cap at 40,500 I believe. After that, you have to take out grad plus loans at 6.31%. With the more expensive schools, a majority of the loans will come from grad plus (and thus closer to 6.31%) that's why I've been estimating at 6%.

However, this information will be obsolete in about a year or so because congress will renegotiate the rate at which the loans are to be paid back. It can go up for sure, but it theoretically could go down too. Schools can also decide to hike up tuition costs from year to year. We're so powerless during the whole process.
They're unsubsidized.

After using OP's handy, dandy spreadsheet, University of Iowa comes out to:
$257,372.66 for in state and $368,755.63 for out of state (assumed $1500/month living costs)

Alright guys, here's the spreadsheet. I think it's pretty intuitive. Let me know if something doesn't make sense or work right. I tested it myself, so I think it should work. I uploaded it to the original post, and I'll upload it here too.
This is sooo cool!!!!! :love: Thanks

They're unsubsidized.
Inetersing. I was told at one of my interviews during the financial presentation that they are subsidized. Just looked it up, and it appears they are not. The stafford loans are at a lower rate, however.

After using OP's handy, dandy spreadsheet, University of Iowa comes out to:
$257,372.66 for in state and $368,755.63 for out of state (assumed $1500/month living costs)
Thanks, it's been added to the master list.

NYU based on their website (assuming 6% average interest)

D1 cost- $121,240 total loans at end of D1.
D2 cost- $126,208. Total debt at end of D2= $126,208 + $121,240*1.06= $254,722.40 total loans at end of D2.
D3 cost- $127,870. Total debt at end of D3 = $127,870 + $126,208*1.06 + $121,240*1.06*1.06 = $397,875.74 total loans at end of D3.
D4 cost- $122,866. Total debt at end of D4 = $122,866 + $127,870*1.06 + $126,208*1.06*1.06 + $121,240*1.06*1.06*1.06 = $544,614.28 total loans at end of D4.

Grand total for NYU assuming full loans, 6% simple interest accruing annually: $544,614.28

Roseman University (Utah).

This is a private school. No in-state tuition.

Adding together all fees, tuition, and living costs at $1,200 per month, with 6% annual compounding interest, each year costs the following:
D1: $124,414.58
D2: $115,301.07
D3: $106,509.42
D4: $100,480.58

Grand Total: $446,705.64

Thank you for the information guys! I have a question, these two universities have the same tuition on their websites plus the living expenses (as their website). Why are they both different? Thank you again :D

Using the spreadsheet, Creighton University would cost $453,609.14 based on the numbers listed on their website. Assuming $1800 in monthly living costs, as estimated on the school's website.

Also, I ran the Iowa numbers on the spreadsheet using the costs provided on the school's website and came up with $335,275.38 for IS and $447,122.06 for OOS.

Last edited:
Using the spreadsheet, Creighton University would cost $453,609.14 based on the numbers listed on their website. Assuming $1800 in monthly living costs, as estimated on the school's website.

Also, I ran the Iowa numbers on the spreadsheet using the costs provided on the school's website and came up with $335,275.38 for IS and $447,122.06 for OOS.
I got the same numbers you did with Iowa, so I'll update that, and I'll put creighton on there, thanks!

Thank you for the information guys! I have a question, these two universities have the same tuition on their websites plus the living expenses (as their website). Why are they both different? Thank you again :D
I think the fees are higher at NYU, and also it is a LOT more expensive to live in New York than Utah.

Also, UNMC (Nebraska) is $485,907.64 (OOS) or $293,416.09 (IS) if you use a monthly living expense of $1500 rather than the around $2000 that they list on their website (which is way too high of an estimate for NE in my opinion).

Last edited:
In-state MN price tag isn't too terrible at a cost of $246,338.1513. Granted, that is excluding all living expenses and might be a little higher due to the fees/books being incorporated into the 6% interest along with the tuition. Though, given that projected tuition will probably not be exactly as reported for future academic years, it still might be underestimation of cost.

Tack on what, say, $50k - $60k for four years MN cost of living? A little above $300k? No way I'd pay the out of state rate though!!!

Roseman University (Utah).

This is a private school. No in-state tuition.

Adding together all fees, tuition, and living costs at $1,200 per month, with 6% annual compounding interest, each year costs the following:
D1: $124,414.58
D2: $115,301.07
D3: $106,509.42
D4: $100,480.58

Grand Total: $446,705.64

Where did you end of getting the numbers for this? They only gave us estimates for D1 at the interview. Any Roseman students that can chime in on the accuracy? Thanks!

Ok, so making the assumption that you take full loans (in this case, living off $28,286.00 per year, or $2,357.17 per month) each year costs:
Fees+Living+Tuition
D1: $106,626.00
D2: $106,626.00
D3: $106,626.00
D4: $106,626.00

With 6% tax,
D1: $134,612.87
D2: $126,993.23
D3: $119,804.97
D4: $113,023.56

Western University (CA) grand total: $494,434.67

I'm deciding between WesternU and Roseman and am trying to figure out which would be the most reasonable/best choice. I'm a little confused with the numbers here. Western lists their costs as D1: $106,626 D2: 103,565 D3: 105,334 D4: 103,565. Are these these numbers you used to calculate with 6% tax?

are there any schools that are not expensive lets be real here

Man I feel so bad for you new generation of dentists. I have to be honest though. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't go to dental school at those prices. You will understand once you start working and you realize you have to pay Uncle Sam first. Then you won't want live in a small apartment anymore. Then some of you will have kids, get married, etc. I just can't imagine how any of this can turn out right for you guys. You will see just how much dentistry you have to produce just to get that 120k per year associate salary. It's really hard at first but still hard years later. There are better options today. I think you guys should do more research if you're considering dentistry today. It ain't the same profession it was 10 years ago. It's changing fast and not for the better.

Reactions: 3 users
Man I feel so bad for you new generation of dentists. I have to be honest though. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't go to dental school at those prices. You will understand once you start working and you realize you have to pay Uncle Sam first. Then you won't want live in a small apartment anymore. Then some of you will have kids, get married, etc. I just can't imagine how any of this can turn out right for you guys. You will see just how much dentistry you have to produce just to get that 120k per year associate salary. It's really hard at first but still hard years later. There are better options today. I think you guys should do more research if you're considering dentistry today. It ain't the same profession it was 10 years ago. It's changing fast and not for the better.
k

Reactions: 4 users
are there any schools that are not expensive lets be real here

There some schools 150-200k less than others. While 300k is still a punch in the gut, I prefer that over 450k, know what I mean?

NYU is really the leader in predatory lending. Nothing good has come out of bankers from NYC, except for the wreckage of the economy and leading the way in debt peonage.

Reactions: 5 users
As long as you are in the business of making others second guess their career choices, what careers do you recommend, partner?

As long as you are in the business of making others second guess their career choices, what careers do you recommend, partner?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess engineering or computer science

I'm just offering my opinion. No need to be spiteful. A lot of people such as yourself don't want to hear the facts, but unfortunately there are only negative trends in dentistry. I've read from young people on here saying they chose dentistry because they want to be their own boss, have flexible hours, help people, etc. If you want a business of your own, get a business degree. I don't understand why people on here think that dentistry is the only way to have a successful business or to be their own boss. You are imposing unhealthy limitations on yourself. If you're smart enough to go into dentistry, and are still young, there are so many different avenues you can take. whats interesting to me is I see several people here (with absolutely no real world job experience) saying dentistry is a less risky form of business. I'm not sure exactly where they are getting their sources from, but that's kind of a bold statement to make without actually being in the field and performing the day to day operations. I can't recommend career choices for you because I don't know your strengths. I'm just saying, in good faith, that I personally would not go to dental school at those prices. I don't know how else to say it other than you will be hating life for a long time after you're done with school. if you don't believe me you should really speak to someone that has these kinds of loans who graduated from dental school (graduates with these kinds of debts regret their choices when they enter the real world of dentistry). Dentistry is A very stressful job. I can't emphasize that enough, and when most dentists are earning an average of 150k (which really isn't a lot of money these days), but have a half million dollars of debt in educational loans alone (with compounding interest attached to it) , it can make you question your life choices, as I have seen from current colleagues who are new grads. There are many visitors to this site who come here specifically to read personal experiences from seasoned dentists such as myself and to see what options there are in healthcare if that's the path they so choose. I'm simply offering my input as an experienced dentist who has gone through the trenches, so to speak.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I'm just offering my opinion. No need to be spiteful. A lot of people such as yourself don't want to hear the facts, but unfortunately there are only negative trends in dentistry. I've read from young people on here saying they chose dentistry because they want to be their own boss, have flexible hours, help people, etc. If you want a business of your own, get a business degree. I don't understand why people on here think that dentistry is the only way to have a successful business or to be their own boss. You are imposing unhealthy limitations on yourself. If you're smart enough to go into dentistry, and are still young, there are so many different avenues you can take. whats interesting to me is I see several people here (with absolutely no real world job experience) saying dentistry is a less risky form of business. I'm not sure exactly where they are getting their sources from, but that's kind of a bold statement to make without actually being in the field and performing the day to day operations. I can't recommend career choices for you because I don't know your strengths. I'm just saying, in good faith, that I personally would not go to dental school at those prices. I don't know how else to say it other than you will be hating life for a long time after you're done with school. if you don't believe me you should really speak to someone that has these kinds of loans who graduated from dental school (graduates with these kinds of debts regret their choices when they enter the real world of dentistry). Dentistry is A very stressful job. I can't emphasize that enough, and when most dentists are earning an average of 150k (which really isn't a lot of money these days), but have a half million dollars of debt in educational loans alone (with compounding interest attached to it) , it can make you question your life choices, as I have seen from current colleagues who are new grads. There are many visitors to this site who come here specifically to read personal experiences from seasoned dentists such as myself and to see what options there are in healthcare if that's the path they so choose. I'm simply offering my input as an experienced dentist who has gone through the trenches, so to speak.
No spite intended. I honestly am interested in what you have to say! Thank you for your input. So by all means keep dropping truth bombs!

I'm deciding between WesternU and Roseman and am trying to figure out which would be the most reasonable/best choice. I'm a little confused with the numbers here. Western lists their costs as D1: $106,626 D2: 103,565 D3: 105,334 D4: 103,565. Are these these numbers you used to calculate with 6% tax?
Yes, I used the numbers they listed, then just simply added in what each of those years really would cost with the interest on the loans.

Yes, I used the numbers they listed, then just simply added in what each of those years really would cost with the interest on the loans.

So I've tried a bunch of different calculations to see if either school would save me any money/loan payments in the long run over the other. I keep coming up with different numbers and am not sure how to calculate them correctly.
Would you be willing to help me figure out the difference between the two if I were to live off of $1200/month at Western and $800/month at Roseman?

Everything listed online for Western is correct for what we were given. However Roseman's budget online I don't believe is correct. I'll attach a file showing what Roseman gave us for cost estimates for D1 (D2-D4 should supposedly be less, although they haven't given me any clear answer by how much. Maybe just a couple thousand?)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• Roseman COA.jpg
    Roseman COA.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 201
So I've tried a bunch of different calculations to see if either school would save me any money/loan payments in the long run over the other. I keep coming up with different numbers and am not sure how to calculate them correctly.
Would you be willing to help me figure out the difference between the two if I were to live off of $1200/month at Western and $800/month at Roseman?

Everything listed online for Western is correct for what we were given. However Roseman's budget online I don't believe is correct. I'll attach a file showing what Roseman gave us for cost estimates for D1 (D2-D4 should supposedly be less, although they haven't given me any clear answer by how much. Maybe just a couple thousand?)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dam rose man is expensive

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile