SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

The Most Ridiculously Expensive Dental Schools Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Panis et Circenses, Sep 30, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Panis et Circenses

Panis et Circenses

Sep 29, 2015
    Yes, I used the numbers they listed, then just simply added in what each of those years really would cost with the interest on the loans.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Fhloston Paradise
    You end up dropping dental?

wengerout likes this.
  4. AllAboutSmiles7

AllAboutSmiles7

Apr 17, 2016
    So I've tried a bunch of different calculations to see if either school would save me any money/loan payments in the long run over the other. I keep coming up with different numbers and am not sure how to calculate them correctly.
    Would you be willing to help me figure out the difference between the two if I were to live off of $1200/month at Western and $800/month at Roseman?

Everything listed online for Western is correct for what we were given. However Roseman's budget online I don't believe is correct. I'll attach a file showing what Roseman gave us for cost estimates for D1 (D2-D4 should supposedly be less, although they haven't given me any clear answer by how much. Maybe just a couple thousand?)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Files:

5. periopocket

periopocket 5+ Year Member

Aug 26, 2011
    North East
    Dam rose man is expensive

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Shifff based likes this.
  6. Panis et Circenses

Panis et Circenses

Sep 29, 2015
    Yeah, just put it in this spreadsheet, you can put in the numbers yourself to see the difference there. At the bottom of it, there are multiple tabs so you can compare multiple schools.

Interest is weird. It all depends on how it's being calculated. I just talking to a lender last week about buying a house. A house with a market value of $100,000 while only putting 3.3% down at around 5% APR would end up costing around $183,00 total with a 25 year repayment plan. Can you believe that? Of course that cost will come down, if you put more money down up front and pay it off quicker. Interest is a killer though.

Anyways, what I did was just a very simple estimate using the formula: Total COA = D1 x (1.06)^4 + D2 x (1.06)^3 + D3 x (1.06)^2 + D4 (1.06)^1
    That's why the real cost of attendance of a school (interest included) is a lot more than when considered without interest.

However, the calculations I have put in that sheet are only good for essentially the day you walk out the door. Calculating a 15 or 20 year repayment plan for that kind of debt would just start to get depressing. For example, if you took out full loans from NYU dental school, I think the total cost of a 20 year repayment plan would probably be somewhere in the $700,000+ or $800,000+ range.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    AllAboutSmiles7 likes this.
  7. Panis et Circenses

Panis et Circenses

Sep 29, 2015
    You know how I think we could solve this student loan problem? Just give the government/schools IOUs. That'll teach them.

[​IMG]

8. Alpha Centauri

Mar 6, 2013
    Fhloston Paradise
    x0jessmariex3 likes this.
  9. Panis et Circenses

Panis et Circenses

Sep 29, 2015
    What is this, some type of soap opera about my life? :laugh:

But since you asked, the medical route would be a much better decision financially (did you know most MD schools cost around 50k per year or less for fees/tuition for OUT of state students)? Then in turn doctors don't have to buy practices or equipment, and have on average higher salaries. But the dental route offers business/autonomy/lifestyle. Stay tuned to find out what I decide!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  10. Alpha Centauri

Mar 6, 2013
    Fhloston Paradise
    Can I call a phone number to submit my vote on your future? Or are the lines not open yet

11. Panis et Circenses

Panis et Circenses

Sep 29, 2015
    Yes! Lines are open! Call 1-800-VOTE-NOW

12. schmoob

schmoob Moderator 2+ Year Member

Mar 26, 2015
    You have the financial foundation to succeed in dentistry. The autonomy will provide you many options. I encourage you to pursue dental school - I'm confident YOU will do VERY well. The fact that you have the forethought to think of these details puts you not only ahead of your peers, but ahead of many recent grads.
    I know you and I have disagreed in the past, but that does not diminish the fact I acknowledge your level of knowledge in finance and business - something that can not always be utilized in every field of healthcare today.
    I think you should be a dentist.

13. Panis et Circenses

Panis et Circenses

Sep 29, 2015
    Wow, that may be the nicest thing someone has ever said about me. Thanks, I will definitely take that into consideration. And I don't remember disagreeing, but if we did, I was there is a good chance I was being an idiot, so in that case I am sorry. Yeah one of the reasons I wanted to do dental in the first place was because of business. That's kind of how my brain works, and because of it, I think that's what is scaring me about the entry costs with dental. I have lately been thinking about ways to lower the entry costs, and significantly so. Anyways, thanks for the input, it does mean a lot.

14. schmoob

Mar 26, 2015
    No worries dude. I'm not always the most agreeable either.
    Don't be afraid of costs. There is always a price to pay for financial gain. Whether its financial investment (dental), time (medical), luck (lottery), etc; there is always some sort of cost. With your level of understanding, I think your chances when it comes to dentistry are really good.

15. Alpha Centauri

Mar 6, 2013
    Fhloston Paradise
    :biglove:

x0jessmariex3 likes this.
  16. Panis et Circenses

Panis et Circenses

Sep 29, 2015
    Wow thank you. Yes with the medical field you pay with time, and that's not just residency either. Even attending physicians have pretty long hours, anything surgical you have to be at the hospital before 7am... best career choice hands down has got to be winning the lottery. High pay, no hours.

wengerin, x0jessmariex3 and schmoob like this.
  17. Likkriue

Likkriue

Jan 30, 2016
    New York City
    Now kiss!!!!!

Noice, HappyPomme, Rekker and 11 others like this.
  18. schmoob

Mar 26, 2015
    You first! Pucker up big boy :love:

wengerout and x0jessmariex3 like this.
  19. maga1994

maga1994

Aug 6, 2016
    Creighton's awesome! They've got a GREAT clinical program and the COL is diiiiiirt cheap.

DMD.DDS.2016 likes this.
  20. rhemsley

rhemsley

Mar 13, 2016
    Yeah that's a great plan! You could easily live off of less than the $1800/month they budget you in Omaha and I agree with the book buying. Omaha is a great city to live in! I'll definitely miss it. I initially accepted my offer from Creighton, but ultimately turned it down for another option.

DMD.DDS.2016 likes this.
  21. rhemsley

rhemsley

Mar 13, 2016
    I got a scholarship at Iowa which made it cheaper than Creighton. There were some other things I preferred about Iowa over Creighton as well, but it is a phenomenal clinical program.

DMD.DDS.2016 likes this.
  22. BirdDentist

BirdDentist

Dec 1, 2016
    Has anyone done Ohio State (IS) yet?

23. Alpha Centauri

Mar 6, 2013
    Fhloston Paradise
    Can someone do a four year projection for Columbia but tuition alone? This year's tuition will be $74,500. I've done it myself but want to make sure I didn't mess up the numbers

24. wengerout

wengerout SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Did you use the same tuition for all 4 years? Each year cost a slightly different amount for some reason. ImageUploadedBySDN1493069066.140026.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

(Obviously it increased a grand this year but not sure how the other years changed.)

25. Alpha Centauri

Mar 6, 2013
    Fhloston Paradise
    That's true but with that we are talking pennies on the dollar. I don't mind assuming 74,000 + the tuition increase from that number

26. ThirdMolarz

ThirdMolarz SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Apr 22, 2017
    Bump. (oops, realized it's only been 4 months haha)

wengerout, Alpha Centauri and Rekker like this.
  27. stitcherator

stitcherator

Aug 21, 2016
    Thanks for all the helpful posts! If someone could do UCSF, U Michigan, and OOS U Colorado that would be much appreciated. Thank you!

28. BioTic

BioTic

Dec 31, 2015
    I don't think these numbers are accurate based on the ADEA handbook I got.

29. Star-Lord

Star-Lord SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Mar 13, 2017
    The ADEA handbook does not include interest on any loan, most of these calculation on this thread do. Also cost of living is probably slightly different since no one can estimate what a specific student will spend.

30. SweetMelonPreDent

SweetMelonPreDent

Apr 28, 2016
    Is there a break down of the Costs for TouroCDM?

thank you

31. DATBoi201892

DATBoi201892

Dec 28, 2016
    Could someone please do total costs of Dental College of Georgia (In-State) with cost breakdown as well please? Thanks so much in advance!

32. fdzthedentist

fdzthedentist

Jul 24, 2017
    Hey all! Could someone possibly do Maryland? I've been able to compare them all, except that one! I really appreciate it in advance. (So tuition out of state first year, then in state for the next three years)! THANK YOU