The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Physical science is straight forward except I guess you shouldn't read what I wrote. So....considering I got ****faced and hung over you'll be fine if you've been studying. As you can see I marked 50% and yet still got it right due to POE or whatever. I was only one away from a 14 and I am debating one of these answers because it's really weird...

Verbal, **** verbal and everything about those passages I read, I clicked while saying out loud "I know this is wrong but I don't know what else to do". I had to slap myself by the way, around Passage IV. Holy ****. So happy about scraping the bottom.

BS, I was like, meh. That sounds right. This wasn't even hard BS, it was passage based most of it, except obviously discretes.

You'll be fine!

Nice job on physical sciences bro (I think you said you've always done well in BS). Dude, for those physical sciences questions that ask about "which gas bubbled out" - are those electrolysis questions are redox problems? I've missed every single one of those thus far!

Those are redox, yeah. Usually something is oxidized and the thing that accepts electrons bubbles out as a gas. Then again, there was THIS problem on an AAMC that raped everyone.

Which question from AAMC are you talking about, so I can look at my work?

I'm retaking on 4/28. I've been studying TBR, going over notes, taking CBTs, redoing AAMCs. But I don't know, I still don't feel confident - esp. since TBR CBTs have been killing me brutally. Seriously, I've never gotten so low on FLs...

I kind of don't care about the MCAT anymore. I keep trying to make myself care, but I can't. Although, I kind of think this is a good thing because last time I was soooo stressed out that I couldn't answer questions. Maybe already accepting failure will be better off for me in the long run.

Oh well, if I don't do well on the MCAT and get into my program, there's always prostitution

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm retaking on 4/28. I've been studying TBR, going over notes, taking CBTs, redoing AAMCs. But I don't know, I still don't feel confident - esp. since TBR CBTs have been killing me brutally. Seriously, I've never gotten so low on FLs...

I kind of don't care about the MCAT anymore. I keep trying to make myself care, but I can't. Although, I kind of think this is a good thing because last time I was soooo stressed out that I couldn't answer questions. Maybe already accepting failure will be better off for me in the long run.

Oh well, if I don't do well on the MCAT and get into my program, there's always prostitution
LOL... relax iam feeling the same thing since my expectations are high...
What are you getting on BR CBT and did you Do any AAMC exams how do both scores compare??

Those are redox, yeah. Usually something is oxidized and the thing that accepts electrons bubbles out as a gas. Then again, there was THIS problem on an AAMC that raped everyone.

Which question from AAMC are you talking about, so I can look at my work?

Hey man, it was this one -

UN9RH.jpg

Number 40 I had no idea, I just had to guess. This passage brought my score down to an 11:mad:

And I see what you're saying about the elements that gain electrons becoming gases, but keep in mind that's not always true. Sometimes they turn into metals and plate out.

And tina - prostitution? Lemme hollar at you girl

I think that was AAMC8, one sec.

So I realized it was NiCO3, so that eliminated A and B. HCL -> H; so H2CO3, which we all know makes CO2+H2O.

I've been doing section tests of the AAMC, not whole ones - but usually I get 10+. But on TBR I get 24-27 - My highest section score was a 9 on CBT 3 PS...which I don't get, because I understand the material, I also did the TBR tests at the end of GC&Phys chapters and got at least 9+.

But the thing is, I studied like crazy before my last MCAT. And I keep expecting that all of my knowledge from the past studying would add up with all of this new stuff. But instead I feel like I don't remember anything from last time, and I don't remember as much stuff from this studying.

I'm (*$^#($^#*. I seriously just give up. There's no point to taking the MCAT anyway, because it'll probably just blow up in my face and I'll do worse than last time. Reality bites.

I've been doing section tests of the AAMC, not whole ones - but usually I get 10+. But on TBR I get 24-27 - My highest section score was a 9 on CBT 3 PS...which I don't get, because I understand the material, I also did the TBR tests at the end of GC&Phys chapters and got at least 9+.

But the thing is, I studied like crazy before my last MCAT. And I keep expecting that all of my knowledge from the past studying would add up with all of this new stuff. But instead I feel like I don't remember anything from last time, and I don't remember as much stuff from this studying.

I'm (*$^#($^#*. I seriously just give up. There's no point to taking the MCAT anyway, because it'll probably just blow up in my face and I'll do worse than last time. Reality bites.
I am in same position.. when i studied this time every thing seemed redundant and boring.. didn't feel like i learned anything new.. I have been getting 30 on the last 2 BR cbt.. iam really pissed since by BS score fluctuated from 12 and 13 on BR 1 and 2 to a 9 on BR 3 and 4.. I feel like the questions are worded weirdly or iam just pissed and don't want to learn a new style .. ffftt..

At least you're getting a 30. I can't even break 29 with TBR =/
Yes but iam looking for 34-35 on real MCAT .. i mean after studying all these books and this is the second time iam taking it.. its kind of crazy.. thats why my expectations are higher.. I got a 28 on first real MCAT

Had a positive day with passages all across the board! Really want this positive energy to carry over to Friday when I take AAMC 7!

TBR, isn't that supposed to be way harder than the actual MCAT? If you're doing okay on those you'll be set for actual MCAT I heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
TBR, isn't that supposed to be way harder than the actual MCAT? If you're doing okay on those you'll be set for actual MCAT I heard.
Iam not sure if they are way harder than the real mcat.. TBR is a little harder than AAMC but the real thing is a little weirder.. It doesn't have to be harder but most definitely weirder in some aspects..

So, for how hard (or "different") the science sections on AAMC 11 are purported to be, I have to say it's just another way of applying all the general science knowledge that we've all done just like on the earlier AAMC exams. I encourage people not to freak out about these as I consider myself a fairly average student and just got 13's on both PS and BS, both a point higher than my PS and BS averages on 3-9.

AAMC 10:

11/7/12

Maybe it's just me, but AAMC 10 and 11's verbal = impossible

Probably should just sign up for the June date. Verbal will be the death of me :mad:

just finished AAMC 8 thoughts.....

PS: comooooo???? aristotle?? wtf was that
MRI that question about the spins had me for a while
Then some of those discretes i had no idea what the hell they were talking about and for some reason firefox, safari, and chrome don't want to show the proper symbols so i had to guess on one

VR: not that bad i made sure my timing was good....a majority of the topics were interesting

BS: passage 1: not that bad
passage 2: was trying to remember what one of the molecules in the passage looked like wasted like 4 min on that then scrolled down and saw they had a picture of it in one of the questions
passage 3: oooooooooooooffffffffffff for the life of me couldn't understand what they were trying to prove w/ the question regarding the kidney hypothesis

YEEEAAAHHHHHHH i should probably review some bio

pretty ****ed up i thought i did well in PS and VR and bio's going to **** me over cuz its on all the topics i hate

estimated score 11/9 or 10/ 10 total 31 or 30

score
kCbGt.png

thoughts ****ING KIDNEY THIS SCORE COULD'VE BEEN HIGHER BUT THE ****ING KIDNEY ****ED ME OVER

also what book is the best for reviewing all the mitosis/meiosis stuff??? (i have TBR TPR and EK)

conclusion (watch you won't be disappointed)

http://youtu.be/ZxWsyUp97rg

Last edited:
just finished AAMC 8 thoughts.....

PS: comooooo???? aristotle?? wtf was that
MRI that question about the spins had me for a while
Then some of those discretes i had no idea what the hell they were talking about and for some reason firefox, safari, and chrome don't want to show the proper symbols so i had to guess on one

VR: not that bad i made sure my timing was good....a majority of the topics were interesting

BS: passage 1: not that bad
passage 2: was trying to remember what one of the molecules in the passage looked like wasted like 4 min on that then scrolled down and saw they had a picture of it in one of the questions
passage 3: oooooooooooooffffffffffff for the life of me couldn't understand what they were trying to prove w/ the question regarding the kidney hypothesis

YEEEAAAHHHHHHH i should probably review some bio

pretty ****ed up i thought i did well in PS and VR and bio's going to **** me over cuz its on all the topics i hate

estimated score 11/9 or 10/ 10 total 31 or 30

score
kCbGt.png

thoughts ****ING KIDNEY THIS SCORE COULD'VE BEEN HIGHER BUT THE ****ING KIDNEY ****ED ME OVER

also what book is the best for reviewing all the mitosis/meiosis stuff??? (i have TBR TPR and EK)

conclusion (watch you won't be disappointed)

http://youtu.be/ZxWsyUp97rg

God damn man that's really good!

I actually moved my MCAT test back to June (was planning on May) largely due to problems in verbal...but also could get a little stronger in physics/inorganic chem. Organic and bio I'm good! But I'm wondering,....since they're removing the verbal section in 2013, what does everyone thing about how heavily weighted the verbal score will be? I'm hoping that they will look mainly at the PS/BS sections. If only i was taking it in 2013....

How do you guys find the raw score to scaled score conversion scale for each AAMC test ? Is this part of the AAMC FL too ? I look for it in the AAMC account but cannot find it anywhere.

I actually moved my MCAT test back to June (was planning on May) largely due to problems in verbal...but also could get a little stronger in physics/inorganic chem. Organic and bio I'm good! But I'm wondering,....since they're removing the verbal section in 2013, what does everyone thing about how heavily weighted the verbal score will be? I'm hoping that they will look mainly at the PS/BS sections. If only i was taking it in 2013....

Sorry to say friend but they are removing the writing section, not the verbal. I am almost positive.

Man. I would love to hit 12 in bio.

I'm stuck around 10 right now... Not sure why. I think I just need to sit down and memorize a bunch of the pathway stuff. Still haven't done that for some reason. I thought I could 'figure out as I go' but not sure if that'll work on da real dealio.

Funny because I was getting 11's and 12's on BS last year...

Gotta get it together. Reviewing AAMC 5 tonight.

I'm taking may 19th btw.

You guys are doing awesome!

AAMC 7: 10/6/12. I got a 6 on verbal !!! The test is coming and my verbal trend is going down !

Last edited:
Sorry to say friend but they are removing the writing section, not the verbal. I am almost positive.

Oh man:(! Thanks, I guess I do remember now reading on AAMC that they were removing the writing section... I guess I just got all excited and got it confused somehow! Oh well, guess I'll keep plugging away... On the positive side, I got the TPRH going now and that has helped with my verbal A LOT...

12-8-11 on AMC 10.

Verbal the culprit again as usual. 1 question away from 13 and 12 in PS and BS.

Sadly this my lowest score yet. Hoepfully VR was a fluke. If I can just get a 10 on test day... Please

12-8-11 on AMC 10.

Verbal the culprit again as usual. 1 question away from 13 and 12 in PS and BS.

Sadly this my lowest score yet. Hoepfully VR was a fluke. If I can just get a 10 on test day... Please

I got an almost identical... 12-9-10 on #10. I think the verbal answers/solutions on this one were dumb as s***. 2 points lower than my average score on AAMC verbal. I'm taking #11 on Saturday so hopefully it will go smoother.

I KNOW!! That passage screwed me.... how should we prepare for something like that on the real thing??

We can't. I'm fairly good at physics and magnetism and even I thought the passage was impossible. There are tons of bio experts that run across bio passages that they find impossible as well. We just have to try our best I guess :)

I know its a bit early, but what are everyone's plans for food/diet the morning before and throughout the exam? I assume April 28th is an afternoon test for everyone? My metabolism is crazy so I'm going to need plenty of food to keep my energy level up through the whole day.

I know its a bit early, but what are everyone's plans for food/diet the morning before and throughout the exam? I assume April 28th is an afternoon test for everyone? My metabolism is crazy so I'm going to need plenty of food to keep my energy level up through the whole day.

I'm bringing water an those nature valley oats bars. Possibly an energy drink but not sure

I usually eat Subway before every practice test, so I might do that on the day of the exam. And just a bottle of water.

I've been thinking of trying to make a list of commonly tested subjects that we could put together as a review for one-two days before the test. Anyone have any ideas of what to add?

For PS:
1) cell/redox chem
2) acid base chem (including titrations)
3) thermo chem
4) collisions
5) lenses
6) waves
7) electro mag/circuit rules
8) solutions (ksp)

I'm thinking a good brunch around 11, and then I'm planning on taking water, trail mix, turkey jerky, and chocolate for my pre-bio break. Taking tomorrow off from work for a full day review and then AAMC 11 on Saturday. woo!

I've been thinking of trying to make a list of commonly tested subjects that we could put together as a review for one-two days before the test. Anyone have any ideas of what to add?

For PS:
1) cell/redox chem
2) acid base chem (including titrations)
3) thermo chem
4) collisions
5) lenses
6) waves
7) electro mag/circuit rules
8) solutions (ksp)

Hey man, I've got a list -

For PS
1) everything you ever learned in gen chem
2) everything you ever learned in physics

For BS
1) everything you ever learned in bio
2) almost everything you ever learned in ochem

For verbal
1) luck

For PS

For BS

For verbal
1) luck

Solid. Starting the review.

Morning 8 AM: 7 scrambled eggs, 4 slices bacon, 200 mg caffeine
10 AM: 6 eggs raw, drink em up, 2 cups coffee
Noon: 2 bananas, 5 hr energy

Bananas and protein drinks during the breaks, 200 mg caffeine before writing sample.

For PS

For BS

For verbal
1) luck

this guy