The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

anyone using BR Bio get extremely frustrated? I feel like half the q's come from random background knowledge, it's so annoying.
Yes even in some of the experimental passages they would throw some weird questions not related to the passage. I would answer most of those right because my broad biology knowledge however i feel like they are irrelevant sometimes...

AAMC 8

PS/VR/BS
10/8/11

Another 29, aaaaaargh. But I'm glad my VR went up by 1 point from AAMC7.

Does anyone know how to get the written portion of the practice exams graded? I have the Kaplan online-demand course but I can't figure out how to submit the essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to get the written portion of the practice exams graded? I have the Kaplan online-demand course but I can't figure out how to submit the essays.

Written portion? essay? what essay? nonsense

Just finished my 2nd FL, AAMC#4, and got 30 again !!!!:bang::boom:
12/7/11. As soon as I got used to CBT and settled the stamina problem, I started to have issues with VR. I thought I destroyed VR though cos I felt like VR passages in #4 are quite easier than #5.

12/7/11. As soon as I got used to CBT and settled the stamina problem, I started to have issues with VR. I thought I destroyed VR though cos I felt like VR passages in #4 are quite easier than #5.

Damn dude, nice job on the PS and BS!

yeah dude welcome to the club the VR in AAMC totally blind sides you EK is wayyyy easier than AAMC

some of their questions are ambiguous

and that picasso passage in 5 IS AMBIGUOUS ASSS FUUUCCKK i still to this day dont understand how i was so off on the author's perspective/tone

keep it up

I am done wit EK101, I always feel like I destroy it and get them all wrong and get an 8. Idk. I hate their explanations I think they are BS, I don't trust it.

Is EK really the best verbal book? I actually feel more comfortable on the AAMC verbal

I have the TPR hyperlearning, I feel like that book just is more representative. I think I am going to go back to that. I have had better results.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah dude welcome to the club the VR in AAMC totally blind sides you EK is wayyyy easier than AAMC

some of their questions are ambiguous

and that picasso passage in 5 IS AMBIGUOUS ASSS FUUUCCKK i still to this day dont understand how i was so off on the author's perspective/tone

keep it up

Yeah that's true. EK is way easier than AAMC and is not very reflective of AAMC style. I think TPRH is closer to AAMC.

Someone please tell the the final 3rd passages for Bio in SDN2ed schedule are way harder than the first round. Holy god I am getting slaughtered on these! I usually got around a 70-80% on the first 1/3 and second 1/3 but given it was fairly fresh from the week's content review...

but these immunology and endocrinology of pregnancy passages are :eek: :scared:

Have been thinking about the AAMC FLs I've seen so far- seems like there are some topics (at least in PS) that are ALWAYS tested- wonder if it holds true for the real thing

ie,

Doppler effect intuitive question (usually not a calculation)
v= f*wavelength
oxidation number (either direct or in redox question form)

There were a few others that I was thinking of but am drawing a blank on now- anyone else notice things that showed up on most of the practice AAMCs?

Just bought the MSAR. Even low-tier schools have MCAT median around 32, with verbal around 10, as these are the national medians. I'm just feeling so devastated now. I think if I can improve the verbal at least 2 more points, I'll be in a lot better shape. But that's impossible for 2 weeks

Have been thinking about the AAMC FLs I've seen so far- seems like there are some topics (at least in PS) that are ALWAYS tested- wonder if it holds true for the real thing

v= f*wavelength

There were a few others that I was thinking of but am drawing a blank on now- anyone else notice things that showed up on most of the practice AAMCs?

also, bio: some graph with strange axes that is a little tricky to interpret

I think if you make a thread in the general MCAT forum, you'll receive more answers from those who recently took it. Though I doubt asking about contents like this will violate the rules.

ie,

v= f*wavelength

Topics I've seen always pop up in the aamcs for PS: (at least one discrete or passage)
Momentum, wavelength, linear accelerated motion, doppler effect
Acid/base (sometimes just something with pH), Le chatelier's principle

Not usually calculations, simple if it is, mostly they ask it as conceptual questions..

Anyone watched the Clippers vs. Thunder game last night? Great playoff-like feel to it.

That game was hard to watch - Durant got shi.tted on! I'm from the University of Texas so I'm a huge Durant fan (he played college ball for us), but i also love chauncey billups (who plays for the clippers), so i wasn't even sure who to root for.

Now THE BEST game was without a doubt mavs-jazz. TRIPLE OVERTIME

I think if you make a thread in the general MCAT forum, you'll receive more answers from those who recently took it. Though I doubt asking about contents like this will violate the rules.

Yeah, I'm worried that it walks perilously close to asking for specifics from recent exams, just thought I'd throw it out there among the4/28ers since most of us have done a fair number of the practice tests

Yeah, I'm worried that it walks perilously close to asking for specifics from recent exams, just thought I'd throw it out there among the4/28ers since most of us have done a fair number of the practice tests

I noticed the repeated content in the 2 FLs I've done recently too. But I think the real deal may be different. Each of us may get a different version that is skewed toward certain topics. After all, the AAMC FLs are given out there for people to practice, so they have to cover as various topics as they can.

ah, yes, I see, they're an aggregate of old questions, not actual old tests. I knew that at some point but had forgotten. ..
oh well. back to orgo.

There's also frequent genetics questions on the BS for the AAMC FLs.

And fas, I'm watching the Spurs v. Lakers game tonight. It's going to be crazy.

There's also frequent genetics questions on the BS for the AAMC FLs.

And fas, I'm watching the Spurs v. Lakers game tonight. It's going to be crazy.

I think kobe is still hurt. it'll be a good game, but not as entertaining without someone who takes 55 shots per game :D

and wow the knicks are shi.tting on the celtics right now

I think kobe is still hurt. it'll be a good game, but not as entertaining without someone who takes 55 shots per game :D

and wow the knicks are shi.tting on the celtics right now

I had to sacrifice watching that game b/c I'm finishing up review of AAMC 8 lol. The next one is gonna be way better.

I was just doing some verbal and I noticed a big difference when I had good posture while doing these verbal passages. I focused better, finished faster, and even comprehended the passage better. Anyone else notice this? I sat straight up, both feet planted firmly flat on the floor. I know it wont magically boost my score to a 15 but it definitely helped.

I was just doing some verbal and I noticed a big difference when I had good posture while doing these verbal passages. I focused better, finished faster, and even comprehended the passage better. Anyone else notice this? I sat straight up, both feet planted firmly flat on the floor. I know it wont magically boost my score to a 15 but it definitely helped.

Yes, this works. Cocaine works better.

yeah i definitely can't do that. i remember trying it once, and it just stressed me out by reminding me that i was taking the verbal section. i just do whatever position i feel is comfortable at the moment (even if that means my hand is in my pants)

yeah i definitely can't do that. i remember trying it once, and it just stressed me out by reminding me that i was taking the verbal section. i just do whatever position i feel is comfortable at the moment (even if that means my hand is in my pants)

If? I don't even think about it. That's just, like, where my hand belongs.

12-11-10 today on AAMC 9.

I don't know what the hell to do about VR... Lol. I can't believe my VR score bounces like this. I've been averaging a 13 on bio and I got a 10..? Anyone else have an issue on the first bio passage? I was furious about some of those. But a pretty drastic drop. Lol at that physics earthquake passage. Stupid.

12-11-10 today on AAMC 9.

I don't know what the hell to do about VR... Lol. I can't believe my VR score bounces like this. I've been averaging a 13 on bio and I got a 10..? Anyone else have an issue on the first bio passage? I was furious about some of those. But a pretty drastic drop. Lol at that physics earthquake passage. Stupid.

wasn't the earthquake passage on AAMC 7?

Just finished watching Spartacus (3rd season) and it was so freaking awesome. Srsly. Amazing. Hands down.

Lol just felt like sharing =)

Aamc 9 tomorrow! Going to do the writing section starting tomorrow..

Just finished watching Spartacus (3rd season) and it was so freaking awesome. Srsly. Amazing. Hands down.

Lol just felt like sharing =)

Aamc 9 tomorrow! Going to do the writing section starting tomorrow..

Nice! I'm doing 10. And there is no writing section, remember? it's just a hoax

Just bought the MSAR. Even low-tier schools have MCAT median around 32, with verbal around 10, as these are the national medians. I'm just feeling so devastated now. I think if I can improve the verbal at least 2 more points, I'll be in a lot better shape. But that's impossible for 2 weeks

You and me both, dude. You and me both.

I just woke up at 1:30. Big no no, gotta start waking up MAD earlier (going to sleep earlier too, though at points I just toss and turn and can't sleep).

Taking AAMC9 later today, running commentary as usual.

You and me both, dude. You and me both.

I just woke up at 1:30. Big no no, gotta start waking up MAD earlier (going to sleep earlier too, though at points I just toss and turn and can't sleep).

Taking AAMC9 later today, running commentary as usual.

Good luck with your AAMC9 dude. Me, I'm taking AAMC 7 later tonight, but really scared of seeing a verbal score below 8 again.

My verbal was a 7 for that, I think. I was pretty devastated. I don't understand what's going on. I dunno how today's going to go either.

Did anyone find verbal from AAMC #10 weird? I had gotten 11's on almost every previous FL and on this one got a 9. I hope it was just a fluke, verbal seems pretty sporadic on everyone's practice scores.

Did anyone find verbal from AAMC #10 weird? I had gotten 11's on almost every previous FL and on this one got a 9. I hope it was just a fluke, verbal seems pretty sporadic on everyone's practice scores.

Yeah VR as a section is pretty poor in terms of reliability. I occasionally have a fluke score in a science section, but for VR I fluctuate 2-3 points in either direction.

Just took AAMC 10, not I have a new 2nd best score of 23.. pathetic I know.. but progress is progress I guess.

P8 V7 B8

I wish that there are 100 more AAMC exams available so I can take them, only one more AAMC exam (11) left next week and then the real thing :scared:

Just took aamc9.

11/9/10
Verbal went back up to 9! And one more right answer coulda gave me a 10!! Really wanna get to a 10 in VR...
And really hoping to keep my PS up.. My bio is constantly at or above 10 now but my PS fluctuates depending on what topics are tested, lol.

Still have hope for >30!!

Just took AAMC 10, not I have a new 2nd best score of 23.. pathetic I know.. but progress is progress I guess.

P8 V7 B8

I wish that there are 100 more AAMC exams available so I can take them, only one more AAMC exam (11) left next week and then the real thing :scared:
Keep on going man, as long as you work on your weaknesses, you'll be able to keep raising your score! I was at the 20s for a while too, and I just hit my first 30! There's much to improve in the next week and a half. You can do it! :)

AAMC9; let's go! So burned out, woke up late, not feeling good at all. Going to take it more seriously than AAMC8, but as I just read the TBR G-Chem chapter on Carnot cycle, my brain is totally ****ed up.

PS: I definitely need to brush up on...everything. What the heck at that luminescence passage, too! I marked almost every question. I made a stupid mistake of not remembering what Ka is, because I think it's intrinsic, but then I remembered a calculation so I'm hoping I was right. Wasn't sure about the Aluminum question either, I put both at cathode...Then I marked some here and there, overall, not that bad. Really hoping for at least an 11 here, I think I did okay, ended with five minutes left. Feeling OK!

VR: I literally have no idea what is going on in any of these passages.:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown !

WS: Meh, not bad. I'm not looking forward to Bio though, people said it gets much harder as the AAMC's increase. Yikes.

BS: Meh. Some hard questions and I double flipped flopped on a few: 110: A or C?! 113: A or C?!?! WHAT IS AN ISOMER **** I FORGOT SO MUCH STUFF WAHHTATHAHT

UqI8n.png
UqI8n.png

...wat.

TIME TO EAT PIZZA, BUY SOME BENADRYL AND EARPLUGS AND ENJOY MY ****ING NIGHT.

**** yeah at being at the minimum of a 9 on Verbal, especially when that's an 9 on AAMC11.

Physical science is straight forward except I guess you shouldn't read what I wrote. So....considering I got ****faced and hung over you'll be fine if you've been studying. As you can see I marked 50% and yet still got it right due to POE or whatever. I was only one away from a 14 and I am debating one of these answers because it's really weird...

Verbal, **** verbal and everything about those passages I read, I clicked while saying out loud "I know this is wrong but I don't know what else to do". I had to slap myself by the way, around Passage IV. Holy ****. So happy about scraping the bottom.

BS, I was like, meh. That sounds right. This wasn't even hard BS, it was passage based most of it, except obviously discretes.

You'll be fine!