The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

spoilers - do NOT READ if you have NOT TAKEN AAMC11

PS: Passage VI requires you know angular velocity and momentum! TPR said NO YOU DO NOT NEED TO KNOW THIS. I was thoroughly ****ed over. Wow! Should I go back and read this tonight? :scared: I got it ALL right by using common sense and pi*2*r = distance, v=d/t...

I got #20 and #24 wrong so I'm gonna make a Q&A topic. The rounding on this was INSANE. 40=50?!

I made the most stupid mistakes. PE = mgh; for a liquid, pVgh. I forgot to multiply by H. LOL.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
PS: Passage VI requires you know angular velocity and momentum! TPR said NO YOU DO NOT NEED TO KNOW THIS. I was thoroughly ****ed over. Wow! Should I go back and read this tonight? :scared: I got it ALL right by using common sense and pi*2*r = distance, v=d/t...

I think it is a smart idea to be comfortable with angular units. Its a good way to make simple kinematics look scary and confusing. EK1001 Physics questions 17 - 27 were helpful review.

I got #20 and #24 wrong so I'm gonna make a Q&A topic. The rounding on this was INSANE. 40=50?!

I made the most stupid mistakes. PE = mgh; for a liquid, pVgh. I forgot to multiply by H. LOL.

I used 2pi r as well for that question. Don't waste your time on angular velocity and momentum. It's not on it.

AAMC11's 2nd one was really, really hard. For some reason.

Also:

**** reading comprehension. This is what I mean by "reading mistakes". Not only did I:
a) mistake pKa for 3rd equivalence
b) after realizing it was pKa, I made it 2nd pKa, not 3rd pKa.

**** life, **** it.

med school is overrated anyway. let's do law. that's where all the fine bitc.hes are

If I do well on this test, awesome. If I don't, I'm going to plan on a re-take later on this year, which means I may not apply this cycle. I'm only going to pursue medicine until maybe next year, after that, I'm thinking of just going to grad school and do some lab work.

I haven't encountered an AAMC where you need to know the angular equations. Like you said, you can solve it just by knowing the circumference of a circle.

Anyone have any tips on how to minimize test anxiety and or channel that adrenaline rush into something positive!?!? I can use them right about now. The last time I took the test my hands were so sweaty they couldn't finger print me:scared:; had to do it old school with ink--felt like I was in prison. :laugh:

If I do well on this test, awesome. If I don't, I'm going to plan on a re-take later on this year, which means I may not apply this cycle. I'm only going to pursue medicine until maybe next year, after that, I'm thinking of just going to grad school and do some lab work.

If I don't do well, I'm retaking right away. Probably end of June :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any tips on how to minimize test anxiety and or channel that adrenaline rush into something positive!?!? I can use them right about now. The last time I took the test my hands were so sweaty they couldn't finger print me:scared:; had to do it old school with ink--felt like I was in prison. :laugh:

It's just a test. Why are you trippin' man?

i got a 9/10/9 on AAMC 10 today, was hitting mid-20's til now.........I was only 2 q's away from 10's on the sciences and VR curve was harsh on this......you guys think I can pull a 30 on the real thing? Did I emphasize the q's I missed were STUPID

Just finished the PS section of AAMC 11: omg...omg...omg......what the ****????????? SERIOUSLY WHAT. THE. ****?!?!??! I WAS ****ING CONFUSED FOR ALMOST ALL THE QUESTIONS HOLY ****. IF I GET OVER A 6 I'LL BE SURPRISED. **** **** **** **** **** **** this is ****ing gay i ****ing hate this test **** this. if the real thing is this ****ing hard i'm gonna ****ing cry **** **** **** **** FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

this PS section makes all the other AAMC's thus far look like little bitches holy ****

also I'd just like to add that you need to watch your time while taking the PS...I ran so low on time that I had only 7 minutes to do the last passage + discretes so I guessed on a fair amount...

EDIT: Just finished VR. I was surprised...the passages were MUCH easier to read. I got to the last 2 passages with 20 minutes remaining. Usually I get to the last 2 passages with 10 minutes remaining. This either means I really screwed up or did decent..hoping the latter. Gonna go get some water or something and actually do the writing section this time....still really pissed off about PS though...

EDIT 2: Finished the first prompt with about 5 minutes remaining, finished the second one with about 14 minutes left. This is the first time I'm writing an essay so I sincerely hope that I don't get something pathetic like a J, K, or L, hell N or higher I'll be ecstatic about. Now for the bio section...

Edit 3: Just finished the exam....Honestly the bio was tricky but it wasn't too terrible, definitely could have done better though.

upon seeing my score: holy ****! Better than I predicted, but not what I wanted.

JTv1m.png

Last edited:
Just finished the PS section of AAMC 11: omg...omg...omg......what the ****????????? SERIOUSLY WHAT. THE. ****?!?!??! I WAS ****ING CONFUSED FOR ALMOST ALL THE QUESTIONS HOLY ****. IF I GET OVER A 6 I'LL BE SURPRISED. **** **** **** **** **** **** this is ****ing gay i ****ing hate this test **** this. if the real thing is this ****ing hard i'm gonna ****ing cry **** **** **** **** FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

this PS section makes all the other AAMC's thus far look like little bitches holy ****

Taking it tomorrow and you're making me SO EXCITED!! WOOOOOH!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D:D

Rowjimmy: We're not kidding around. AAMC7-9, and some cases 10 are "jokes" compared to this AAMC. Holy **** at the passages. Keep it up TI, the Verbal I thought was ok but I scored meh and BS, lol @ Ebola, ****ing ENJOY.

Also, lemme know what you said about the first question.

I agree it was annoying, a lot of calculations. It was my worst PS section ever, I got an 8. But with that being said I'm sure you will get at least a 10. It was the only PS i actually almost ran out of time to GUESS. Filling in randoms at last second. BAD.

Taking it tomorrow and you're making me SO EXCITED!! WOOOOOH!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D:D

Rowjimmy: We're not kidding around. AAMC7-9, and some cases 10 are "jokes" compared to this AAMC. Holy **** at the passages. Keep it up TI, the Verbal I thought was ok but I scored meh and BS, lol @ Ebola, ****ing ENJOY.

Also, lemme know what you said about the first question.

I'm going to take it in 5 minutes. You guys are making me both anxious and excited :laugh:

how does Golden Standard relate to the actual AAMC exams? Are they harder or easier?

I've just finished PS section of AAMC 11. Holy smoke !!!! :eek::scared: Looking back, PS's of the other AAMCs (except 9 cos I didn't do 9) are like walks in the park ! If the real deal is even harder than this then my dream is screwed for sure !

Reeeelaax people. I agree that the PS and BS sections on 11 were the toughest out of the entire AAMC series...but we're all still capable of answering these questions. Freaking out definitely doesn't help...take a deep breath an KNOW that you are capable of doing just as well. You might be pleasantly surprised once you see your score, I sure was.

also I'd just like to add that you need to watch your time while taking the PS...I ran so low on time that I had only 7 minutes to do the last passage + discretes so I guessed on a fair amount...

EDIT: Just finished VR. I was surprised...the passages were MUCH easier to read. I got to the last 2 passages with 20 minutes remaining. Usually I get to the last 2 passages with 10 minutes remaining. This either means I really screwed up or did decent..hoping the latter. Gonna go get some water or something and actually do the writing section this time....still really pissed off about PS though...

EDIT 2: Finished the first prompt with about 5 minutes remaining, finished the second one with about 14 minutes left. This is the first time I'm writing an essay so I sincerely hope that I don't get something pathetic like a J, K, or L, hell N or higher I'll be ecstatic about. Now for the bio section...

Edit 3: Just finished the exam....Honestly the bio was tricky but it wasn't too terrible, definitely could have done better though.

JTv1m.png

Here's my rundown and score of AAMC 11. Just figured i'd bump the thread so people could see.

upon seeing my score: holy **** at PS! Overall, Better than I predicted, but not what I wanted.

Looking back, would I say that my post PS freak out was necessary? Absolutely.

edit: also, guys, can we all please do really really good on saturday? Our thread is probably the largest one out of all the MCAT study groups and I don't think we can make such an epic thread again without everyone...so just get a 35+ kk? NBD

My AAMC11 score:
Kif0SM4AAAAgAERwQEAAICkiOAAAABAUkRwAAAAICkiOAAAAJAUERwAAABIiggOAAAAJEUEBwAAAJIiggMAAABJEcEBAACApIjgAAAAQFJEcAAAACApIjgAAACQFBEcAAAASIoIDgAAACRFBAcAAACS+v9LNHuUTWeWXQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
oESGB.jpg

It's the freaking Verbal again :mad::mad:. Though, I'm glad that I got the 33. Darn it ! If I could score an 8 on that VR, I would have had hope for a 35 !

Last edited:
Here's my rundown and score of AAMC 11. Just figured i'd bump the thread so people could see.

upon seeing my score: holy **** at PS! Overall, Better than I predicted, but not what I wanted.

Looking back, would I say that my post PS freak out was necessary? Absolutely.

edit: also, guys, can we all please do really really good on saturday? Our thread is probably the largest one out of all the MCAT study groups and I don't think we can make such an epic thread again without everyone...so just get a 35+ kk? NBD

Well now that you say it, I feel like I HAVE to at least get a 35 now! :D

I don't know what i would do =( if you had to retake, would you apply early june still? Or wait after your next scores are out?

Well after the MCAT, I'm going to spend 2-3 weeks finishing up my apps and submitting them (since in Texas they open up may 1st) and then have my amcas app ready to be submitted as well. That way, as soon as my score comes out, I can submit my apps and if I want to do a retake, I can do it as soon as possible. I'm not going to be studying until may 30th, but I might read the economist for 20 minutes a day. If I retake, it's most likely going to be because of verbal and not the sciences.

Spending today reviewing the rest of AAMC 11 and praying. Spending tomorrow looking over all of the physics formula for maybe an hour and praying.

I just want a 27 :oops:

We only have a few days left but I just wanted to share what I've been telling myself over and over for the past few days. I've heard some crazy horror stories from people and we should expect the worst so that we can be pleasantly surprised (hopefully).

I've heard about computer screens having shi.tty resolution and being tiny so that you're scrolling vertically/horizontally just to see a table or a graph. I've heard about periodic tables freezing the test so that you see the clock counting down but you're unable to click on questions. i've heard about people who usually finish with time to spare having only 10 minutes for 3 passages. I've heard so many crazy things and we should expect all of that cra*p to happen to us so that 1) we can be prepared and 2) if it doesn't, we're good to go. If we expect everything to go wrong...we can be happy when it doesn't.

The test is going to be HARD. Super hard and even though we hope it's going to be easy for us...it definitely won't be. Right now, I'm expecting the most difficult and calculation heavy PS section I've ever seen. Five times worse than AAMC #11. A Verbal section that's like 5 hard philosophy passages and 2 nonsensical passages about Renaissance paintings. A Bio section that has 3 ridiculous experiments about random obscure diseases and 2 ridiculous Orgo passages on Mass Spec or something. Expect the worst. The absolute worst.

And although we all want 35+, instead of worrying about the score, I think the most important thing is to be as calm and levelheaded as possible during the test so that we 1) don't make careless mistakes OR 2) don't make MORE careless errors than we usually make during the practice tests.

Ok, that was my cheesy pep talk but I've been telling myself this for the past week and just thought I'd share. 2 days people!

Also, what are people doing tomorrow (Friday)? How are you spending your day before the test?

I did AAMC11 a few days ago and got 14 on the PS, really did not think it was that hard. Verbal I got an 8 because of the passage about cameras (no idea what I had just read) and the BS I got an 11 because 2 passages in particular took up like half my time it seemed. My confidence is pretty low after getting 10 on almost every other verbal.

You're right kaylasdf! Expect the worst but hope for the best, I always say!
I've managed to stay calm the past 2 weeks, so hopefully I will be the same when I get to the test site.
For tomorrow, just gonna take it easy, relax, go shopping, bring my sis to her orthodontist. Probably will just review my notecards and that's it!

We only have a few days left but I just wanted to share what I've been telling myself over and over for the past few days. I've heard some crazy horror stories from people and we should expect the worst so that we can be pleasantly surprised (hopefully).

I've heard about computer screens having shi.tty resolution and being tiny so that you're scrolling vertically/horizontally just to see a table or a graph. I've heard about periodic tables freezing the test so that you see the clock counting down but you're unable to click on questions. i've heard about people who usually finish with time to spare having only 10 minutes for 3 passages. I've heard so many crazy things and we should expect all of that cra*p to happen to us so that 1) we can be prepared and 2) if it doesn't, we're good to go. If we expect everything to go wrong...we can be happy when it doesn't.

The test is going to be HARD. Super hard and even though we hope it's going to be easy for us...it definitely won't be. Right now, I'm expecting the most difficult and calculation heavy PS section I've ever seen. Five times worse than AAMC #11. A Verbal section that's like 5 hard philosophy passages and 2 nonsensical passages about Renaissance paintings. A Bio section that has 3 ridiculous experiments about random obscure diseases and 2 ridiculous Orgo passages on Mass Spec or something. Expect the worst. The absolute worst.

And although we all want 35+, instead of worrying about the score, I think the most important thing is to be as calm and levelheaded as possible during the test so that we 1) don't make careless mistakes OR 2) don't make MORE careless errors than we usually make during the practice tests.

Ok, that was my cheesy pep talk but I've been telling myself this for the past week and just thought I'd share. 2 days people!

Also, what are people doing tomorrow (Friday)? How are you spending your day before the test?

Hey man, I agree. this test is going to be the most difficult test we have ever taken. but in the end, it's just a test bro. Keep your cool and try your best. What else can you do, really?

"when i look back on all these worries, i remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened."
-my nigg.a winston churchill

Yea, it's good to expect the worse. But be confident as well. Don't go in there thinking you won't be able to do any of the problems. Think that you'll do great. I woke up and thought "wow this thing is two days away". But really, everyone will stress. And then I realized it really is just a test. Even though an important one, it is just a test. So keep calm and just do it.

AAMC 11
PS: WHAT THE FUUUUCKKKKK I WAS TAKING MY TIME THEN THE 35 MINUTE **** SHOWED UP AND I WAS STILL ON THE 3/4TH PASSAGE!!! USUALLY IM ONL IKE 5/6 WTFFFFF WAS IT ME OR DID EVERYONE RUN SHORT ON TIME...**** MAN i had to go to the bathroom too ****tttt...**** that was easy it was just timing that 1 2 and that terminal velocity passage slowed me down like crazzyy and wtf is up w/ showing me a single slit exp and then not even asking one question about ****ED UP MAN ****kkeeed up making me read **** i don't need to ****....im hoping for a 10/11 **** THIS SCORE IS GONNA BE LOWWWWWW will update after VR

Edit:
VR: ****ttt i dunno what happened marked so many questions this was the first time in verbal that i couldn't confidently answer at least 2-3 questions in each passage...my guess for this section is an 8 my overall is gonna be SUPER LOW this is so disappointing i hate this

Edit
Writing: wrote a lot more than last time as i got an N and they said i should write more, but at what cost?....i wasn't able to really proofread my last essay...

SMFH IM REALLY WORRIED ABOUT WHAT MY SCORES GONNA BE on this test here goes nothing for BS

BS: uhhh wow my brain was so shot by the time i got to bio i spent 10 min trying to figure out what their minus and plus signs denoted (thel lysosome essay) fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu and i still misunderstood it and missed 2 questions b/c of that smfh...some of these bio questions have like 3 choices that incorporate the passage info and then 1 thats outside knowledge SMFH ****ed me over

Conclusion:
**** man i should have done better on bio but i lack small little tidbits of info like the phosphodiester bond i know what it is but i totally forgot what connects to what

Verbal is gonna be low b/c i got distracted and just wasn't in the zone and i always seem to do bad on the "factual" science passages....

physics man the last two passages and 2 discretes at the end (weird) were easy but i was running SUPER short on time hopefully i got them right.

Predicted 11/ 9 / 11 31

Actual
rIzlA.png

SMH AFTER LOOKING AT MY MISTAKES BIO SHOULD HAVE BEEN A 13 fml and verbal an 11 AT LEAST FUUUCKK MAN

Wwooowwwwwww b/c i was rushed i missed 2 mistakes shoulda been a 14 **** man i guess timing is the issue for me ALSO FOR the quesiton about theta i put pi/2 to pi/4 b/c it looks like its from pi/4 to pi/2 which is the same in magnitude proportionally ohhh s****tt nvm **** i over thought that question

Last edited:
The passage with the three mini experiments totally threw me off too. I read all three and then thought that my internet browser crashed and combined two of the passages. Totally threw me off.

It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test.

it is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test. It is just a test.

:hungover::hungover::hungover:

If you guys are looking for a reason to blame as to why the later tests are more hard than previous tests I would partly blame the test prep companies for making their practice tests progressively harder and thereby pushing the envelope giving the AAMC no choice but to make their tests harder. The AAMC continually evaluates all of the different test materials out there and knows the level of difficulty that test prep companies put forth. I truly believe that Kaplan, Berkeley Review (especially the bio), PRH (especially the in class compendium), and Examkrackers, as well as others, have all contributed to this test getting progressively harder. That's just my theory. What do ya'll think? I mean theres a clear distinction between the difficulty of later tests and tests given up to 2009/10.