You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The OFFICIAL 2007-2008 Interviews withdrawn/canceled thread
Started by Universe_Explorer
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Anything in particular that you did not like about UNLV?I'd like to visit all of them, but time and money is getting short.
Albert Einstein LIJ
University of Nevada Las Vegas
I hope an SDNer gets my spot!
Not sure if this will directly influence the SDNers, or what this post is worth, but I dropped Yale.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this is really cool of you guys. From one of the not so great applicants, Thank you.
Thomas Jefferson in Philly.
I would go to every interview offered, but I applied to everywhere from here to Timbuktu. Hopefully someone else can use my spot!
I would go to every interview offered, but I applied to everywhere from here to Timbuktu. Hopefully someone else can use my spot!
Dropped MUSC, St. Luke's Roosevelt, & Orlando.
woohooo!...keep em comin guys
Thank you all!! Keep em comming!
Just dropped USF and UF-Gainesville. Florida's just too darn hot for me!
Just dropped Loma Linda. Not really a fan of southern California.
I am dropping Brown and Mayo today.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dropped Thomas Jefferson and Scott and White today
Add UCSF and Stanford to the list
How are you guys cancelling interviews. Are you just checking the withdraw box in the ERAS program or are you individually calling/emailing the particular program to let them know you will not be able to attend, or are you doing both? Also, how much notice is it appropriate to give before cancelling an interview (in order to avoid the PD blacklisting you-becuase I heard that does happen if you give very short notice, according to another PD who told me this) thanks!
I have been calling/emailing the programs. I figure if they took the time to send me an invitation (which means they took the time to look over my application), then I can take the time to call and politely decline/cancel. Even though I hate doing it! I wish I had the time and money to visit them all!
How are you guys cancelling interviews. Are you just checking the withdraw box in the ERAS program or are you individually calling/emailing the particular program to let them know you will not be able to attend, or are you doing both? Also, how much notice is it appropriate to give before cancelling an interview (in order to avoid the PD blacklisting you-becuase I heard that does happen if you give very short notice, according to another PD who told me this) thanks!
I believe you are supposed to give them at least 2 weeks. I have just been emailing programs, since most of them stated in their invitation that email is the best was to communicate.
Also, I have canceled my interview at Temple in Philly.
I canceled Michigan.
I have been withdrawing on ERAS *and* emailing the residency coordinators.
I have been withdrawing on ERAS *and* emailing the residency coordinators.
I canceled Michigan.
I have been withdrawing on ERAS *and* emailing the residency coordinators.
ditto. So far I have gotten pleasant responses back, as well. I think I will cancel again, but need to sit down and figure out where. Probably won't post again until I am done with this poverty-induced sadness.
How are you guys cancelling interviews. Are you just checking the withdraw box in the ERAS program or are you individually calling/emailing the particular program to let them know you will not be able to attend, or are you doing both? Also, how much notice is it appropriate to give before cancelling an interview (in order to avoid the PD blacklisting you-becuase I heard that does happen if you give very short notice, according to another PD who told me this) thanks!
We would certainly like as much notice as you can give, so we can possibly offer another interview. I've never heard of someone "blacklisting" a candidate for this or any other reason.
On the other hand we do meet in Vegas in January, take in a couple of shows, have some drinks, play the slots and then meet in a dark room to project your apps on the screen and laugh at them. We send a case of beer-nuts to the applicant with the most cringe-worthy.

We would certainly like as much notice as you can give, so we can possibly offer another interview. I've never heard of someone "blacklisting" a candidate for this or any other reason.
On the other hand we do meet in Vegas in January, take in a couple of shows, have some drinks, play the slots and then meet in a dark room to project your apps on the screen and laugh at them. We send a case of beer-nuts to the applicant with the most cringe-worthy.![]()
I'll PM you my mailing address. 😳
I invoke the 8th Law: "If an SDNer cancels his/her interview, that program must offer his/her spot to another SDNer".
PDs, make it happen.
*This was just a rant. Do not attempt. Professional poster on a professional pad.*
PDs, make it happen.
*This was just a rant. Do not attempt. Professional poster on a professional pad.*
Withdrew from Jacobi/Montefiore, New York Hopsital Queens, and New York Methodist today.
I am emailing the residency coordinators as well as withdrawing on ERAS. Good luck to someone who is looking at these places - I'm convinced all three are great programs...
I am emailing the residency coordinators as well as withdrawing on ERAS. Good luck to someone who is looking at these places - I'm convinced all three are great programs...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's a template if you guys are interested. 😉
"Thank you for your interest in me as a potential resident. You have a strong program and should be proud of your institution. My caliber of applicant typically receives 20-30 interview invites each season and this year was no exception. I have been blessed with 15 so far, all at very competitive programs. It is always hard for an applicant to make distinctions between so many outstanding programs. I am writing to inform you that I will not be accepting your invitation to visit your program and interview. I wish you good luck in this interview season as I'm sure you will get the opportunity to interview many highly qualified candidates."
Has anyone had experience with sending a message like this back to a program?
"Thank you for your interest in me as a potential resident. You have a strong program and should be proud of your institution. My caliber of applicant typically receives 20-30 interview invites each season and this year was no exception. I have been blessed with 15 so far, all at very competitive programs. It is always hard for an applicant to make distinctions between so many outstanding programs. I am writing to inform you that I will not be accepting your invitation to visit your program and interview. I wish you good luck in this interview season as I'm sure you will get the opportunity to interview many highly qualified candidates."
Has anyone had experience with sending a message like this back to a program?Here's a template if you guys are interested. 😉
"Thank you for your interest in me as a potential resident. You have a strong program and should be proud of your institution. My caliber of applicant typically receives 20-30 interview invites each season and this year was no exception. I have been blessed with 15 so far, all at very competitive programs. It is always hard for an applicant to make distinctions between so many outstanding programs. I am writing to inform you that I will not be accepting your invitation to visit your program and interview. I wish you good luck in this interview season as I'm sure you will get the opportunity to interview many highly qualified candidates."
Has anyone had experience with sending a message like this back to a program?
*Withdrew application fron University of Nebraska Medical Center*
"Thank you for your interest in me as a potential resident. You have a strong program and should be proud of your institution. My caliber of applicant typically receives 20-30 interview invites each season and this year was no exception. I have been blessed with 15 so far, all at very competitive programs. It is always hard for an applicant to make distinctions between so many outstanding programs. I am writing to inform you that I will not be accepting your invitation to visit your program and interview. I wish you good luck in this interview season as I'm sure you will get the opportunity to interview many highly qualified candidates."
Has anyone had experience with sending a message like this back to a program?*Withdrew application fron University of Nebraska Medical Center*
hey guys, are we allowed to withdraw from a program even after the interview has been scheduled?
I have an interview scheduled for January at U Mass but I don't have the money to visit and I'd like to withdraw. But i feel badly that I didn't withdraw before I scheduled it. Will i get 'blacklisted' for withdrawing now? thanks for your input! 😀
I have an interview scheduled for January at U Mass but I don't have the money to visit and I'd like to withdraw. But i feel badly that I didn't withdraw before I scheduled it. Will i get 'blacklisted' for withdrawing now? thanks for your input! 😀
Withdrawing/Canceling: University of Wisconsin, Mayo, Camden (Cooper), Thomas Jefferson, Detroit Receiving, Sinai Grace, William Beaumont, Henry Ford.
I hope doing this now will help someone else get the invites they want.
Best to you all.
I hope doing this now will help someone else get the invites they want.
Best to you all.
Here's a template if you guys are interested. 😉
"Thank you for your interest in me as a potential resident. You have a strong program and should be proud of your institution. My caliber of applicant typically receives 20-30 interview invites each season and this year was no exception. I have been blessed with 15 so far, all at very competitive programs. It is always hard for an applicant to make distinctions between so many outstanding programs. I am writing to inform you that I will not be accepting your invitation to visit your program and interview. I wish you good luck in this interview season as I'm sure you will get the opportunity to interview many highly qualified candidates."
Has anyone had experience with sending a message like this back to a program?
I love the template.hey guys, are we allowed to withdraw from a program even after the interview has been scheduled?
I have an interview scheduled for January at a school that I don't have the money to visit and I'd like to withdraw. But i feel badly that I didn't withdraw before I scheduled it. Will i get 'blacklisted' for withdrawing now? thanks for your input! 😀
You can withdraw even after you already scheduled the interview- just do it asap. I've heard of "blacklisting" in extreme cases when an applicant cancels 1-2 days before an interview- something ridiculous like that because it obviously doesn't give the program enough time to offer an interview to another applicant. Although I'm sure the program would understand if you canceled 1-2 days prior to an interview if you're stuck in a blizzard or something and your flight is delayed.
Withdrew from Vegas.
Withdrew from University of Wisconsin at Madison and West Virginia University today.
Withdrew/canceled my interview at Drexel.
cancelled my U Mass interview 😳
Cancelled UTSW, Louisville, MCV, and UC Davis today. Hope that helps someone out there.
Do you have to withdraw on ERAS as well?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know if you have to, but I did on ERAS as well (i.e. in addition to emailing the program coordinators for the interviews I've canceled) just to be thorough.Do you have to withdraw on ERAS as well?
All recent or pending cancellations ... way too many great programs out there! I've now learned my lesson in EM parity. Good luck to everyone!
Denver -- this one was tough to swallow, but can't see myself in CO for 4y.
LAC+USC -- another tough one, but would prefer not to do a prelim year.
Brown
Northwestern
Case
Resurrection
Wisconsin
NYHQ
New York Methodist
Maryland
Georgetown
Denver -- this one was tough to swallow, but can't see myself in CO for 4y.
LAC+USC -- another tough one, but would prefer not to do a prelim year.
Brown
Northwestern
Case
Resurrection
Wisconsin
NYHQ
New York Methodist
Maryland
Georgetown
in favor of the allopathic match.
-Mt. Sinai-Miami Beach, FL
-Arrowhead-Colton, CA
-Freeman-Joplin, MO
-Integris SW-Oklahoma City, OK
-Mt. Sinai-Miami Beach, FL
-Arrowhead-Colton, CA
-Freeman-Joplin, MO
-Integris SW-Oklahoma City, OK
Canceled U. Mass, Drexel, SUNY Stonybrook, and William Beaumont. I am couples matching and need to look at a lot more places than the average joe, so it has been hard to let go of certain places... I keep on thinking... "What if my significant other ONLY matches in Detroit?!
"
I've been on two interviews already and that has kind of helped me pull the trigger on canceling interviews. Combined with just finishing an away rotation, I think I have a better idea of what I want in a residency which is helping me to pare down the list.
"I've been on two interviews already and that has kind of helped me pull the trigger on canceling interviews. Combined with just finishing an away rotation, I think I have a better idea of what I want in a residency which is helping me to pare down the list.
St. Barnabas
Lehigh
Lehigh
Similar threads
- Replies
- 186
- Views
- 8K