The Official 2008 Acceptance Thread Psy.D/Ph.D

Started by psych08
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have recently been accepted to the University of Alabama's Clinical Psychology PhD program (gero concentration). The professor emailed me Jan. 30th. A side note: the reason I'm posting this is not for bragging reasons or for arrogance but rather to inform others of what to expect or when to expect acceptance.
 
A side note: the reason I'm posting this is not for bragging reasons or for arrogance but rather to inform others of what to expect or when to expect acceptance.

That's basically the assumption in this thread -- we all just want to know when (down to the second, if possible) we can expect to hear back from schools!

Congrats!
 
I have recently been accepted to the University of Alabama's Clinical Psychology PhD program (gero concentration). The professor emailed me Jan. 30th. A side note: the reason I'm posting this is not for bragging reasons or for arrogance but rather to inform others of what to expect or when to expect acceptance.

Hell, go ahead and brag!!! It's a great program. When you get accepted it's supposed to be a happy time where tooting your own horn is acceptable. Enjoy this moment because the next several years are going to be VERY challenging!

Mark
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else heard back from OSU? You can PM if you want, just curious as to my chances still!

Thanks
 
I just got a phone call extending an offer for Missouri-Columbia's dual program in developmental psych/child clinical. My POI told me that the committee had just met this past week so offers should be going out for the Clinical track too...just in case anyone is waiting to hear on that.
 
Strangely enough, I applied for the Counseling Psych Ph.D. program at Columbia, and they just sent me a snail mail letter yesterday accepting me to their Master's Ed program in Counseling Psych. Yadda yadda "best program for you at this time"... anyone know if this is standard procedure for applicants with only a BA? (most of their counseling phd acceptances have master's already). There was no other contact before this except a "stop asking us about your application we'll tell you all when we're good and ready" e-mail.
 
Strangely enough, I applied for the Counseling Psych Ph.D. program at Columbia, and they just sent me a snail mail letter yesterday accepting me to their Master's Ed program in Counseling Psych. Yadda yadda "best program for you at this time"... anyone know if this is standard procedure for applicants with only a BA? (most of their counseling phd acceptances have master's already). There was no other contact before this except a "stop asking us about your application we'll tell you all when we're good and ready" e-mail.

What do you mean by standard procedure? Most places with a PhD as well as a Master's program will accept you into their Master's program if you're not admitted into their PhD program. However, keep in mind that the Master's program is probably not funded and your tuition will go towards funding the PhDs. It also may not help in securing admission to the PhD program in the same university.

I know someone from the Master's program at Columbia and she hated it. She said that professors were never made themselves available, classes/students were a joke, and there were no opportunities to do research. Be careful! If the Master's program at Columbia is your only acceptance, I would strongly suggest you work as an RA to build up your credentials instead and apply again next year.
 
Anyone heard from Texas A&M? I heard from someone they had interviews recently, but just wanted to double check.

Also, those of you that got into U of Minne, who is your POI? Do they all call on a set date, or does it depend on the POI?
 
Florida State (clinical Ph.D.)

acceptance email from POI/call from dept on 2/11-2/12 (or so)
 
Accepted to University of Kentucky clinical psych program...received call from POI this morning, 2/18 at 9:25 a.m. to inform of such.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You guys are all getting phone calls... what do you do if you're in class at the time? You can't have your cell phone on, after all.

Oh, and congrats 😀
 
Answer it right in the middle of class, jump onto the podium, and start doing the ::I got into grad school:: dance!

:hardy:

I remember when I started getting mine...I was usually at work and I couldn't tell ANYONE about it, because I needed to work there for another 4+ months before giving my notice....I do remember getting a few, "You are awfully happy" comments.
 
Has anyone who has interviewed at UConn (clinical psych) heard back yet/know when we should expect to hear?
 
This morning I received an offer from the University of Southern Miss counseling psyc program (which I am accepting), via phone call from the director of the program.
 
I have heard back regarding admittance from the following schools:

UCLA - by email from POI on 2/14

Temple - by letter from grad school on 2/14 and phone call from program coordinator on 2/17
 
I have heard back regarding admittance from the following schools:

UCLA - by email from POI on 2/14

Temple - by letter from grad school on 2/14 and phone call from program coordinator on 2/17

Is the program at Temple you heard from clinical?
 
Has anyone who has interviewed at UConn (clinical psych) heard back yet/know when we should expect to hear?

I haven't heard back from UConn yet, although they still had another round of interviews on Weds (2/13), so I'm not sure if they've made decisions yet.

Do you mind me asking who your POI is?
 
met someone who got into university of miami clinical phd program - dont know any more info than that.
 
This morning I received an offer from the University of Southern Miss counseling psyc program (which I am accepting), via phone call from the director of the program.

Congrats! My mentor from my undergrad/master's programs went to the counseling/experimental psyc program at USM and enjoyed it. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received an e-mail from my POI giving me an unofficial offer of admission to University of Arizona Clinical Psychology, Neuropsychology track Ph.D. program (official offer to follow). 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
 
Just received an e-mail from my POI giving me an unofficial offer of admission to University of Arizona Clinical Psychology, Neuropsychology track Ph.D. program (official offer to follow). 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Nice Job!!! Seems like you are doing well this round!
 
Congrats! My mentor from my undergrad/master's programs went to the counseling/experimental psyc program at USM and enjoyed it. 🙂

Yeah, I really liked the look of the program; it appeared to have a very laid back atmosphere (as much as a doctoral program can be, i guess 😀).
 
I don't know when these acceptances were extended, but I do know that I colleague of mine has been accepted to the clinical psych programs at:

Emory University
Duke University (actually I do know, she recieved a call yesterday 2/19)
University of Iowa
 
I just received an email acceptance from the University of Georgia clinical Phd program :hardy::hardy::hardy:
 
I don't know when these acceptances were extended, but I do know that I colleague of mine has been accepted to the clinical psych programs at:

Emory University
Duke University (actually I do know, she recieved a call yesterday 2/19)
University of Iowa

Seeing the 3 offers above reminded me... I know many people are or will be receiving multiple offers. I just want to remind those fortunate enough to have such decisions to make them in a timely manner (i.e. not hold more than 2 offers at any time). Any individuals who are on the alternate lists for programs are anxiously waiting to hear... I really think that's part of the cause of so much stress around this time.
 
Seeing the 3 offers above reminded me... I know many people are or will be receiving multiple offers. I just want to remind those fortunate enough to have such decisions to make them in a timely manner (i.e. not hold more than 2 offers at any time). Any individuals who are on the alternate lists for programs are anxiously waiting to hear... I really think that's part of the cause of so much stress around this time.

I could not agree more. In fact, that's what I told my friend. I know how anxious I am and after browsing these forums I realize that I am not alone. It is wonderful that some applicants are so successful from the beginning, but I encourage such fortunates to help share the wealth with the rest of us! 🙂
 
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from the Peabody College of Vanderbilt? Or if anyone knows if their acceptances go out at the same time as the A & S side?
 
I was just curious about why some offers of admissions have been extended to some while others have been scheduled for an interview for the same program? Is this a common practice? What is the difference in decision from initial admission --> interview process 1st (if there is one)?

Ex/ SUNY - Clinical PhD.
 
I got my first acceptance.


Central Michigan University *I/O Psychology* 😀😀😀

I am waitlisted in 4 schools and I didn't hear from 3 other schools yet.
 
Hi... I along with many of you am waiting on pins and needles to hear about acceptance, my only problem is that I am currently in Mexico doing some volunteer work. I did send a cover letter explaining that I would be out of the country but available by email. Did this ruin my chances? Should I contact the schools again? Thanks for any advice.
 
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from the Peabody College of Vanderbilt? Or if anyone knows if their acceptances go out at the same time as the A & S side?

i havent, but i do know of someone being told they would have an offer if someone who applied to work with other people do not accept. im not sure how much i believe this person's information though...
 
I got my first acceptance.


Central Michigan University *I/O Psychology* 😀😀😀

I am waitlisted in 4 schools and I didn't hear from 3 other schools yet.

Congrats on the acceptance!!
If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out about those waitlists? Did you call and ask at some of your schools? Or did they contact you (email/phonecall??) to tell you? And also, were those all schools that you had interviewed at?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the Canadian programs thread someone mentioned being admitted to McGill on 2/18... I haven't heard anything from McGill one way or the other... i guess that's not a good thing at this point lol, but awesome for the person who got in!!! 😎
 
Congrats on the acceptance!!
If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out about those waitlists? Did you call and ask at some of your schools? Or did they contact you (email/phonecall??) to tell you? And also, were those all schools that you had interviewed at?

2 of them e-mailed me and one of them sent me a snail mail. They all said that they were very impressed with my application and that they would like to offer me a spot but they can't due to limited amount of funding but that I will be notified if someone declines their spot, in which case i may be offered a spot. They also invited me for the open house they run for their accepted applicants.
 
I received an offer by phone from the head of the department for the Forensic/Clinical Psych PhD program at John Jay this afternoon! So that can be added to the list too!
 
So if you have interviewed with a school and know that they have extended some offers, but not to you at this point, is it appropriate to call the secretary and ask if you are on the wait list? Or do you think that is weird?