The Official 2008 Acceptance Thread Psy.D/Ph.D

Started by psych08
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ok, so it's not an acceptance yet, but I got this email back from my POI last night...

Hi Jennifer-

Thanks. I would just like to say that you were ranked very highly by myself and members of my team. We have to wait for the full ratings and discussion by the clinical faculty. Personally, I think you would be a great addition to the team
.

Awesome, right? Woo hoo 👍

edit: This is for the clinical PhD program at U of North Texas
 
So I'm assuming if there was no interview invite, there will be no waitlist, and certainly no random acceptance? Any exceptions to this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone heard anything post-interview from Loyola Chicago Phd in Clinical Psychology?

Hi! I haven't heard anything...yet! It's too bad I found this site late... we may have met at the interview! Which one were you at...first or second day? Feel free to PM! Good luck to everyone!
 
I just heard from the DCT at Kent State's Clinical program (via phone) that I have been accepted. They said a snail mail official letter will be sent as well.

My first! SO very exciting!!!

Also though, I too received one of those weird emails from VCU where you could read it as an acceptance or a maybe...they are supposed to call today so I will keep you posted.
 
congrats, honeydew! my understanding from the SBU thread is that you are part of a very small & fortunate group of folks!
 
Just received a call (and offer) from my POI this morning, its been a big day!

However, the impression I got from the university was that not all professors called immediately, some wait to discuss with the other profs.
 
I applied to Colorado State U's counseling psychology program and haven't heard anything back from them yet. However, a friend who also applied has already received his rejection letter. My question for anyone who is more familiar with the admissions process: would this indicate that I made it through the first round of rejections, or that they haven't looked at my application yet? CO State doesn't do interviews, so I have no idea how they weed through the mountain of applications (I believe they get over 200 for the counseling psychology program alone).:scared:

Edited to add that their application deadline was December 15, so they've had approximately five gazillionbazillion years to peruse the applications...
 
POI phoned and left me a message that I had been accepted and that details would come in an official letter in a few weeks.

Edited to add: The message was left yesterday, Monday 2/25, and this was for the Clinical Science PhD.
 
A couple more to add to the list:

Michigan State University
accepted 2.20 via phone call from chair of admissions committee

University of South Florida accepted 2.25 via email from program secretary and POI
I was just wondering who your POI at Mich State and USF were? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you withdraw your application/decline a scheduled interview for a school you have an upcoming interview at?

Expanding on that, if a school paid for your visit (and went so far to purchase your plane ticket for you) and you are relatively sure you no longer want to go there, how would you suggest handling that? The ticket is non-transferable/non-refundable :scared:
 
How do you withdraw your application/decline a scheduled interview for a school you have an upcoming interview at?

Expanding on that, if a school paid for your visit (and went so far to purchase your plane ticket for you) and you are relatively sure you no longer want to go there, how would you suggest handling that? The ticket is non-transferable/non-refundable :scared:

I think a polite call or e-mail to the person coordinating the interviews would be the appropriate way to go. I agree that it's pretty awkward if they've already purchased the ticket for you, but it isn't all that much different than withdrawing your application post-interview because you've gotten a preferable offer, if you think about it.

ETA: That said, it probably wouldn't hurt to go to the interview (unless you just can't cope with them anymore!!) - you might end up liking the program.
 
How do you withdraw your application/decline a scheduled interview for a school you have an upcoming interview at?

Expanding on that, if a school paid for your visit (and went so far to purchase your plane ticket for you) and you are relatively sure you no longer want to go there, how would you suggest handling that? The ticket is non-transferable/non-refundable :scared:

I think if they have already paid for your ticket and scheduled your flight that you owe it to them to go. You might be surprised by what you find.
 
A friend got accepted to UT Southwestern's Clinical PhD program on 2/25. Not sure how he was contacted though.
 
I think if they have already paid for your ticket and scheduled your flight that you owe it to them to go. You might be surprised by what you find.

But if he's sure he doesn't want to attend that program, he might as well give someone else a chance to interview.
 
Yeah my issue w/ going just to check out the program is it essentially will be a waste of both my time and the POI/host's time since I am probably going to decline an offer if I receive one. Secondly, there may be people on a waiting list that I'd rather give the spot up to.

My main issue is -- for personal reasons, this is a time that I need to be at home with my loved ones. However, it just so happens that the one school who completely footed the bill of the interview and paid for the ticket (which unfortunately cannot be transferred) is the last in-person interview I have. I am not the type to just screw people over (especially when they have some sort of monetary "investment"), but honestly, I would have canceled or rescheduled ANY interview I had for these personal issues. Should I just bring it up with the POI?
 
Yeah my issue w/ going just to check out the program is it essentially will be a waste of both my time and the POI/host's time since I am probably going to decline an offer if I receive one. Secondly, there may be people on a waiting list that I'd rather give the spot up to.

My main issue is -- for personal reasons, this is a time that I need to be at home with my loved ones. However, it just so happens that the one school who completely footed the bill of the interview and paid for the ticket (which unfortunately cannot be transferred) is the last in-person interview I have. I am not the type to just screw people over (especially when they have some sort of monetary "investment"), but honestly, I would have canceled or rescheduled ANY interview I had for these personal issues. Should I just bring it up with the POI?

I agree with everyone else, I think you should go. You accepted the interview, they bought your ticket, and they probably aren't going to invite someone else in your place at this point. If it were me, I would act as if I didn't have the other acceptance and give the school a chance, even if I was almost sure I wouldn't go there. No offense, but I think wanting personal time isn't a good enough reason to blow them off. Maybe that's just me...
 
I agree with everyone else, I think you should go. You accepted the interview, they bought your ticket, and they probably aren't going to invite someone else in your place at this point. If it were me, I would act as if I didn't have the other acceptance and give the school a chance, even if I was almost sure I wouldn't go there. No offense, but I think wanting personal time isn't a good enough reason to blow them off. Maybe that's just me...

Personal time isn't the issue as much as there was a death in the family and the services may fall within that time frame ...
 
No offense, but I think wanting personal time isn't a good enough reason to blow them off. Maybe that's just me...

Sometimes things come up that are more serious than 'wanting personal time' - if something serious is going on in the OP's family life, he/she has an acceptance, and has no desire to go to the other school whatsoever, it's totally legitimate to politely decline the interview. If it's reasonable (for professional AND personal reasons) to give it a chance, though, I would definitely recommend doing so.
 
Personal time isn't the issue as much as there was a death in the family and the services may fall within that time frame ...

childphdapp, don't feel bad about backing out of the interview. You have perfectly acceptable reasons for doing so- family reasons plus the fact that you wouldn't even attend the program if accepted. I'd just let your POI know as soon as you can.

sorry about your loss though 🙁
 
I applied to Colorado State U's counseling psychology program and haven't heard anything back from them yet. However, a friend who also applied has already received his rejection letter. My question for anyone who is more familiar with the admissions process: would this indicate that I made it through the first round of rejections, or that they haven't looked at my application yet? CO State doesn't do interviews, so I have no idea how they weed through the mountain of applications (I believe they get over 200 for the counseling psychology program alone).:scared:

Edited to add that their application deadline was December 15, so they've had approximately five gazillionbazillion years to peruse the applications...

A friend of mine applied there and when she called to check, last week I believe, she was told they have gone through the first cut.
So my guess is your friend's letter was made from the first cut and you may still be in the running.
No idea when they are wrapping up though!
 
I am sorry to hear about your loss! I understand that it is different since they bought your ticket, that would make me more likely to go, but that being said I think that if a program has no chance then it is actually more ethical not to go. Last year, I received an offer from a clinical psychology program. I did go on one interview after that and do another phone interview but then I decided to cancel my last few interviews. Why? Because they were Counseling psychology programs and I felt that my research was a better fit with a Clinical program (plus I was in love with the program). If it is going to be a waste of time, I wouldn't go. That being said, if there is a chance, I would interview, much like I did with my last two. I felt bad on one of them because I withdrew the day after my interview, but I gave them a shot and it wasn't the one.
 
A friend of mine applied there and when she called to check, last week I believe, she was told they have gone through the first cut.
So my guess is your friend's letter was made from the first cut and you may still be in the running.
No idea when they are wrapping up though!

Having gone through a round of interviews from the "other side of the table" I wonder how they are able to evaluate students who will be doing counseling without an interview? I can tell you that there are students who look great on paper but are very different in an interview! I guess it works for them, though!
 
Personal time isn't the issue as much as there was a death in the family and the services may fall within that time frame ...

Ok well then that is a completely different story. I guess I wouldn't think of a funeral service as "personal time," sorry for that.
 
Having gone through a round of interviews from the "other side of the table" I wonder how they are able to evaluate students who will be doing counseling without an interview? I can tell you that there are students who look great on paper but are very different in an interview! I guess it works for them, though!


I can tell you it works very, very well for us. The reasoning behind not doing interviews is based on the research on interviews. Frankly, the research tells us that you just don't learn much about a person in an interview. (And, frankly, from my experience last year, I'm not sure how anyone could have learned much about me from the typical 15-minute interview.) The faculty feel that they can make very good, well-informed decisions from students' applications, and from what I can see, they've done so for at least the past five years. Just one indication of this? We're at about seven years straight of 100% internship match, about 95% to first choices. (And we finally had someone break into CU-Boulder this year!) Apparently they're pretty good at evaluating students who will be doing counseling without an interview.

Also, to Liselaime, the program made all its offers last week.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received a call offering admission to Oklahoma State's counseling psych PH.D program yesterday from the DCT.
 
Kind of feel like an idiot for asking this but I'm going to ask anyway 🙂

If a school is listed under the "updated" list but not under the "clinical PhD program", what does that mean?
 
Kind of feel like an idiot for asking this but I'm going to ask anyway 🙂

If a school is listed under the "updated" list but not under the "clinical PhD program", what does that mean?


it probably means that I forgot to add it to the Clinical Ph.D. list...if you see anything like that please PM me so I can fix it ASAP and get the correct info out to people.

I know that the University of Central Florida was on the "updated" list but I added it as the University of South Florida - both schools has given out acceptances. So that was fixed.

Congrats to all that have received offers so far and please dont hesitate to PM me if you notice screw ups on the first page. My two eyes cant catch everything especially since I need a new perscription on my glasses :laugh:
 
Just received a call (and offer) from my POI this morning, its been a big day!

However, the impression I got from the university was that not all professors called immediately, some wait to discuss with the other profs.
applicant0603:

just curious about who your PI was @ vcu...
 
could the person who got accepted to the clinical phd program at UCF PM me and let me know which POI? I would rather be put out of my misery if at all possible. Thanks!
 
Also, to Liselaime, the program made all its offers last week.

I am quite confused by this, as I just called the program and was told that a) last week the program made its first cut, eliminating approximately 150 applications out of 248 and b) I made the first cut.
 
Widener still has two interviews dates coming up (Feb. 29th and March 13th - I think), but I am wondering if any candidates who participated in the first two sessions have heard anything yet?

I'll take gossip and hearsay at this point ...
 
I can tell you it works very, very well for us. The reasoning behind not doing interviews is based on the research on interviews. Frankly, the research tells us that you just don't learn much about a person in an interview. (And, frankly, from my experience last year, I'm not sure how anyone could have learned much about me from the typical 15-minute interview.) The faculty feel that they can make very good, well-informed decisions from students' applications, and from what I can see, they've done so for at least the past five years. Just one indication of this? We're at about seven years straight of 100% internship match, about 95% to first choices. (And we finally had someone break into CU-Boulder this year!) Apparently they're pretty good at evaluating students who will be doing counseling without an interview.

Also, to Liselaime, the program made all its offers last week.

To some extent I understand that, but there were still a few very introverted people who may not have been good clinically but looked great on paper. That being said, I am glad that it works for your program. It is a good program, no doubt, and I am sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. It just would make me nervous as a prof if I couldn't interview my applicants, but perhaps that is just me!

Also, from my experience, you would be surprised how much you CAN learn in a 15 minute interview. There were some where we knew they weren't a match from that time, but our program is very behavioral so we may be unique.
 
Also, has anyone heard anything from either of the University of Minnesota's two counseling psychology programs (psych dept. and college of education/human development) other than those two random acceptances from December and January? Both programs state on their websites that they make decisions in late February/early March, and as far as I know, they don't do formal interviews.
 
My POI at BGSU just offered me a spot in their clinical program-my first acceptance! Yay! I get to go to grad school! ...Now I just have to wait to hear back from Louisville to see what my options are.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My POI at BGSU just offered me a spot in their clinical program-my first acceptance! Yay! I get to go to grad school! ...Now I just have to wait to hear back from Louisville to see what my options are.


Congrats, Jackie!!! 😀 😀 😀 😀
 
I got accepted to the PhD program in clinical psychology at Central Michigan University on 2/25 (by email).
 
hmmm... my POI just contacted me two days ago (and I didn't email him - he was asking if I was still interested) for this program and told me that they are not meeting officially until this Friday to make decisions... soo don't be worried