The OFFICIAL 2009 Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats Cara!

I am waiting to hear from UIC....my POI said he made an offer to someone else, and if she doesn't take it, I am in.

I'm hoping and hoping, but it's hard to keep it up :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, you wouldn't believe it, but I have just got e-mail that I have been accepted into the PhD program in Counseling Psychology at Oklahoma State University!!! :D:D:D:D I got the spot from being the 2nd alternate on the waiting list !

I am so happy and I am scared at the same time. I have been dancing and now I don't know what to do next! :))))

Congratulations to everyone too!

Congrats Cara!

I am waiting to hear from UIC....my POI said he made an offer to someone else, and if she doesn't take it, I am in.

I'm hoping and hoping, but it's hard to keep it up :confused:

I know how you feel I've been waitlisted at two schools, rejected from one, and haven't heard anything from another....but still hoping....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I'm so happy for you as well!

Yeah, after the inital high wears off, you're kind of like "Um... so what now?" :D

Yeah, after the inital high wears off, you're kind of like "Um... so what now?" :D

Congratulations Cara!!! Yeah I know what you mean, it's like -o.k. this is great but now it's time to start thinking about moving, finding a new place, etc. All exciting but LOTS to get ready for. Best of luck! :D

I was accepted to LaSalle and declined, so there's an extra spot from the waiting list. Goodluck!

I have made my decision and will be attending LSU's Clinical PhD program...any other future bayou bengals out there?...best of luck everyone

Yes, I know! :laugh: One hour after I got the news, and after I was tired from jumping to the ceiling with joy and calling my family and friends, I started to contemplate if I would be smart enough to be in this program! :oops: It is so outrageous and so funny at the same time. It seems I will never be peaceful with myself and will be constantly questioning and doubting mysellf non-stop! I need to set goals for the coming months: first goal will be to meditate every day to acquire calm and peacefulness which left me approximately 5 months year ago, when I started the whole application process!

Yes, I know! :laugh: One hour after I got the news, and after I was tired from jumping to the ceiling with joy and calling my family and friends, I started to contemplate if I would be smart enough to be in this program! :oops: It is so outrageous and so funny at the same time. It seems I will never be peaceful with myself and will be constantly questioning and doubting mysellf non-stop! I need to set goals for the coming months: first goal will be to meditate every day to acquire calm and peacefulness which left me approximately 5 months year ago, when I started the whole application process!

Hey this is my first post, just had to agree with your feelings of being unsure of being good enough. Maybe that has a little to do with out preference for psychology... analyzing doesn't stop even at us! haha Congrats! :claps:

My adviser told me that this "imposter phenomenon" is pretty common, where people think they got in by accident. You worked hard and deserve it. They realize this and they think you will do well at the program, and that's why you were accepted.

Haha, I am totally already experiencing the "Impostor Phenomenon/Syndrome" right now. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in feeling that way!

My adviser told me that this "imposter phenomenon" is pretty common, where people think they got in by accident. You worked hard and deserve it. They realize this and they think you will do well at the program, and that's why you were accepted.

It means I 've joined "the imposters" group, huh? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
WARM CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

You both went above and beyond experiencing the anxieyt/stress/and test of patience that goes with applying to these programs. Much credit to both of you for riding it out with great results.

Cara - Unreal. You're TOP choice to boot! You could not have asked for a better situation.

And Minichka - We're both future Counseling Psychologists! I really do hope to see you someday at a conference and chat in person. I'm absolutely thrilled this worked out for you.

Jon

Aww, thank you so much! I know, I'm so shocked that I got in only my first time applying, and my top choice to boot!

LOl After I got accepted into my top choice I had a dream that the DCT sent me an e-mail telling me she had called the wrong student and would have to forfeit the offer she made me lol... two nights in a row...needless to say I checked my e-mail everday until the official admission/stipend letter came in the mail.

Last edited:
Oh, so you had that thought as well? The good news is that the emails they send us list our undergrad institution in addition to our name, so it's very unlikely that it'd be the wrong person ;)

WARM CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

You both went above and beyond experiencing the anxieyt/stress/and test of patience that goes with applying to these programs. Much credit to both of you for riding it out with great results.

Cara - Unreal. You're TOP choice to boot! You could not have asked for a better situation.

And Minichka - We're both future Counseling Psychologists! I really do hope to see you someday at a conference and chat in person. I'm absolutely thrilled this worked out for you.

Jon

Thank you so much Jon! How nice it is to get such personable and genuine greetings! I would LOVE to be friends with other Counseling Psychology doctorate Students!:biglove::clap::soexcited:And meeting at conferences will be awesome! Lets keep in touch!

I have a practical question-- What is the polite/standard way to release an offer? Do you just tell them unfortunately you won't be able to accept or do you give a reason/details or tell them what program you're now considering?

I have a practical question-- What is the polite/standard way to release an offer? Do you just tell them unfortunately you won't be able to accept or do you give a reason/details or tell them what program you're now considering?

A polite e-mail thanking them for their time and consideration but unfortunately you can only accept one offer and will have to decline theirs. You don't have to tell them where you attending and if they ask you, which many did of me, then it is still your choice to tell them. I only told them after being asked because it is the polite thing to do. :)

Rejected from all programs except Syracuse - where I'm waitlisted. Haven't heard from them since finding out that I was on the waitlist on March 3rd.

Anybody accepting/rejecting Syracuse? PM me if you want.

I was offered admission to UAlbany's Counseling Psych program on Saturday and accepted on Sunday. It was the only program to which I applied, so I'm feeling pretty lucky tonight. :D

I posted this in another thread, but in case you missed it....

I was accepted to the University of Groningen (social-organizational Ph.D.) and SUNY-Albany (social-personality Ph.D.). I have accepted my offer at Groningen, and will be moving to the Netherlands to get my Ph.D.! Grad school and European adventures all in one deal! :cool:

Hi all-

I have been waitlisted at St. John's PhD Clinical Psychology Program. Has anyone accepted/rejected a spot there? I look forward to hearing from you!

that's awesome! do you speak dutch? or will your classes be taught in english?

I posted this in another thread, but in case you missed it....

I was accepted to the University of Groningen (social-organizational Ph.D.) and SUNY-Albany (social-personality Ph.D.). I have accepted my offer at Groningen, and will be moving to the Netherlands to get my Ph.D.! Grad school and European adventures all in one deal! :cool:

that's awesome! do you speak dutch? or will your classes be taught in english?

Haha...I definitely do not speak any Dtuch (yet). As someone who learned French and Latin throughout school, tackling a Germanic language should be interesting. Still, the few classes I will take will be in English. However, as I will have a Master's degree, the need for coursework is minimal. Most people do speak English, but the default language, of course, is Dutch. So I'll try to pick up the language (at least a read proficiency to read signs, menus, and everything else in Dutch.

I turned down my spot at St. John's. Good luck!!

Hi all-

I have been waitlisted at St. John's PhD Clinical Psychology Program. Has anyone accepted/rejected a spot there? I look forward to hearing from you!

Hi all-

Ditto! :)

wow, good for you! that's great! :luck:

Haha...I definitely do not speak any Dtuch (yet). As someone who learned French and Latin throughout school, tackling a Germanic language should be interesting. Still, the few classes I will take will be in English. However, as I will have a Master's degree, the need for coursework is minimal. Most people do speak English, but the default language, of course, is Dutch. So I'll try to pick up the language (at least a read proficiency to read signs, menus, and everything else in Dutch.

I just accepted my spot at st johns for the clinical phd child track

FINALLY, I get to post on this thread!

I was accepted to the Clinical Psychology Ph.D. program at the University of Illinois at Chicago tonight via email, after being an alternate! :)

WAHOO!!!! I love Chicago!

FINALLY, I get to post on this thread!

I was accepted to the Clinical Psychology Ph.D. program at the University of Illinois at Chicago tonight via email, after being an alternate! :)

WAHOO!!!! I love Chicago!

Congratulations :)

PhD Clinical Psych program @ Rosalind Franklin
Received a call from my POI. I am excited but still waiting on 1 more school
:D

Aren't all offers supposed to be extended by April 1st? How is it that there are still offers yet to be extended?

People can still hear off of waitlists obviously, as it's not required to decline offers until April 15th. April 1st is only for initial offers, and even then, I think it's more like a guideline than a strict rule. In fact, it's possible to still hear after April 15th if you're waitlisted and someone else just lets an offer lapse or tells the program at the last possible minute or backs out later.

Ok, so what if you haven't heard at all, haven't been waitlisted, just haven't heard. How are you supposed to confirm at another school by the 15th without having heard from all your choices?

I got into the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, my top choice....fully funded with an amazing stipend. I got in off the waitlist..

I also got into Howard University....

Haha, I am totally already experiencing the "Impostor Phenomenon/Syndrome" right now. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in feeling that way!
Your first year might be asking a bit much, but trust me, it will wear off by your 2nd or 3rd year ;) Especially if you end up with a supportive and caring class.

I got into the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, my top choice....fully funded with an amazing stipend. I got in off the waitlist..

I also got into Howard University....

I guess I will get to finally meet ya!!! Congrats!!!

waitlisting for pgsp-stanford and virginia consortium still. :rolleyes:

congrats to all who are accepted!!

Isn't it strange how there has been hardly any activity on this page since April 1st? :) / :bang:

I think that's probably because the people who usually had things to say in this thread have already gotten into their schools.
Isn't it strange how there has been hardly any activity on this page since April 1st? :) / :bang: